Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Impatient
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manig

India
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  07:23:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit manig's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
By concentrating I can raise the energy from my Root Chakra to my Sixth Chakra. I can then condense/collect it there to be thrown into the Third Eye. But I am afraid to do so now because the last time I did it, I started hearing voices of invisible people and lost sense of time. I sent commands to other people's Third Eye's (in spite of my will) front or back of their heads and made them do stupid things. It was a messy period of my life.

So now I let Kundalini / Inner Guru decide what to do and these days energy is being taken upwards to the Crown. The body makes Shirsasana (head down legs up posture) itself and the energy is forced downwards into the centre of head or at bindu or third eye.

Its been over 2 years and I really wish to have a blast now. I am impatient.

Every morning I meditate for about 1 hour and let Kundalini work on me. I just surrender and pray to gods, universe, the five elements and every holy being to help me, support me and not let things go wrong again. Everyday I am taken to that point where things went wrong last time.

A moment when I can't even pray. Its death. The whole energy is focused at a particular point and it feels like my whole life force is moving at that point and my soul will burst open leaving the body from there.

I also have a sunken dent/circular impression on my forehead you can see here:

http://www.balbro.com/dent.jpg

I am impatient because I don't know if I am wasting my time or doing the right thing. But I have no other choice either because I don't know any other way to know truth. Why does it take so much time? Isn't there a shortcut?

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  08:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manig.

What practices do you follow? Maybe you have already talked about this elsewhere, in which case I am sorry I missed it.

I would suggest trying Spinal Breathing. It helps smooth out the flow of energy between the root and third eye, while purifying the nervous system. This way you are not raising energy to a certain point and then moving it all up to a higher chakra at one time.. resulting in an overload. Rather you move the energy in a steady flow from root to third eye.

Wish you the best in your chosen path.
Go to Top of Page

manig

India
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  09:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit manig's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Hi Manig.

What practices do you follow? Maybe you have already talked about this elsewhere, in which case I am sorry I missed it.

I would suggest trying Spinal Breathing. It helps smooth out the flow of energy between the root and third eye, while purifying the nervous system. This way you are not raising energy to a certain point and then moving it all up to a higher chakra at one time.. resulting in an overload. Rather you move the energy in a steady flow from root to third eye.

Wish you the best in your chosen path.

Hi Shanti

Thanks and you did reply to my first post here:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=6215

I am not following any specific practices. I just sit and things start happening automatically. I will try to explain but first I must tell how all this begun.

I had this strange dream about 4 years ago. In the dream I saw myself asleep. I thought how its possible to see myself asleep? I must be dreaming. And just when I realized this, my hearing turned inwards and I heard a loud 'OM' inside me. At the same time my eyes moved upwards between my eyebrows and the vision turned inwards too. I felt as if I was going inside me. A golden disc (like sun) was glowing inside the head between my eyebrows. I woke up with fear and went back to sleep again.

After that dream I always had the urge to meditate.

Now the process:

I sit in Siddhasana. Gyan Mudra is made itself. Eyes close.
My belly goes inward. Backbone and neck straightens. Chest expands.
Breathing slows down.
Within 4-5 minutes the energy is raised from the root and brought to 6th chakra.
Then I am calm like a still lake. Just witnessing.

And after this Kundalini / Inner Guru does different things everyday. Strange Mudras, bandhas, Chakra centres vibrate/spin, breathing (fast/slow), making sounds (Aum, SaReGaMa, Shouts), and Yoga asanas... a lot of them. The postures, mudras etc resemble to Hindu Yoga, Tibetan yoga, Muslim prayers, Christian prayers, Buddhist prayers and maybe other religions that I might not know.

But the last thing is always throwing the energy to the Crown, Bindu and Third Eye. In Sirshasana, Bow asana or any other but with the head/forehead touching the floor. It grounds me and I get out from the witnessing state.

Now the thing is, it is impossible for me to do Spinal Breathing or any other practice once I sit or relax. The Inner Guru takes over and won't let me do any other practice. From my past experiences I always go imbalanced if I try to revolt/interpret/narrate/go against or ask questions to my inner guru.

This is also the cause of my impatience... because I haven't got a satisfactory explanation of what is happening to me. I have met few local famous Gurus and they want me to follow their practices first, which is not possible... I have tried.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  09:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: We do not recommend 1 hr of meditation. Also not sure if you do any kind of pranayama. AYP we recommends a balanced practice of spinal breathing and deep meditation.. to cultivate the energy (kundalini) and release it into the silence cultivated during meditation.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  10:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We cross posted.

quote:
Originally posted by manig
Now the thing is, it is impossible for me to do Spinal Breathing or any other practice once I sit or relax. The Inner Guru takes over and won't let me do any other practice. From my past experiences I always go imbalanced if I try to revolt/interpret/narrate/go against or ask questions to my inner guru.

This is also the cause of my impatience... because I haven't got a satisfactory explanation of what is happening to me. I have met few local famous Gurus and they want me to follow their practices first, which is not possible... I have tried.

You have very strong bhakti. Bhakti can be a blessing and a curse. It is a double edged sword.. without it, it can get hard to continue, with too much of it, it can get hard to continue smoothly.

What you can try to do,
1) Modify Spinal Breathing: Sit on a chair or anywhere else but your regular meditation seat. Don't sit in siddhasana. Don't close your eyes. Now with your eyes open, breath in and follow your awareness up your spine from root to third eye, breath out and follow your awareness from third eye to root. Do this for 5 to 10 min. In a few weeks you should get used to this. Then close your eyes and do this.

2) Again, sitting on the chair, not in siddhasana, close your eyes and in your mind repeat "i am". The min you realize you are getting pulled into the a place that you are losing control, treat it like a distraction and come back to "i am". This is the technique of deep meditation as taught in AYP.

Here is what you are trying to do. You are trying to get control over your path and not let the energy take control of you. Once you know how to control your energy, you will not get pulled around by your nose and you will not suffer from overloads. Then surrendering to the energy will happen more smoothly.

I know what I am writing sounds very egoic. Before AYP, I would do 3 hrs of meditation and had all sorts of visions and experiences, but with that came loads of overloads like you are experiencing. Yogani and many others at this forum, kept telling me to simplify.. go to 10 min spinal breathing and 20 min meditation. I did not want to lose all the awesomeness that went with the experiences and totally believed, the only way to get anywhere was surrender to what was going on. It was only when I got tired of the overloads and the "1 step forward 2 steps back" did I quit everything and simplified my practice, and stuck to it. The progress that came with it was not to my egos liking, but it has taken me further faster. I can see it today after a bit more than 4 years of practicing AYP.

This is the only reason I am asking you to take charge of your path. Energy is like a wild horse that needs to be trained. Tame it so it wont run around like a wild horse causing havoc, rather train it so you can use it to purify and open your nervous system so the divine can flow through you.
Go to Top of Page

meera

India
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  1:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit meera's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,
This is my first post though I have been following this site fairly frequently over almost a year now 10months to be precise. I had a spontaneous awakening in November, after I began chanting the Maha Mrutyunjay. I have been chanting Lord Ganeshas name since my childhood, evry night until I fell asleep, and it has been a habit rather than conscious meditation or chanting. I am not sure if i am being clear. Anyway I had the urge to begin chanting Maha mrutyunjay mantra for my daughter, who has a dosha( though I have never visited an astrologer ),it was just an inner urge which i had been putting off for some time, within 20 days i had an awakening in my sleep. I awoke to find a disk -silver grey whirring up my spine and exploding at particular points which i later learnt were the chakras.I could see this happening inside myself and I awoke and sat up wondering what had happened.I found that I Was also chanting Om shree Ganeshaya namaha when this happened.I tried to go back to sleep telling myself that it was just a dream but I just couldnt. Out of habit again i lay down and started chanting lord Ganeshas name and this disc went up again explodingvery large and in a golden ball at my heart before it exploded at my throat and somewhere in my head.
The next morning when i related my experience to my husband he told me that he had a dream - he dreamt that a huge snake was coiling around me and he was fighting it trying to save me.WE knew nothing about the Kundalini till then, definately not my husband who is almost an atheist actually- though i remembered my mother dabbling in all this in my childhood and i vaguely remembered her mentioning something about a snake which lay dormant within all of us which i had then as a child found very strange!

Life changed after that, I identify with what Shanti writes,I went overboard with my chanting-many rounds of malas etc which only inreased the hypersensitivity and all the negative signs- alienation, headaches etc etc etc=dreams visions and i thought i was going mad. That prompted me to research my expereiences and symptoms. I learnt a lot and came across this site. It was like a light in the darkness.Thank goodness! I learnt about self pacing etcand reduced the chanting/meditation.But it is only now that Ive begun spinal breathing and it has made a world of difference!A couple of weeks ago i also had the urge to begin with amaroli(low dose ) and its exactly like some weak spaces inside me have begun filling up!
I have not been able to add I AM yet -I dont know where to fit in- I cant give up on Om shree Ganeshaya namaha-its like my ishta has given me this gift and I could never give it up and i feel i need to chant the Maha Mrtuyunjaya for my daughter/family, and if i exceed around 20 mins i have symptoms of overload.I would also appreciate any thoughts on including I AM in my schedule.

Anyway, Manig I think it would be a really good idea to begin SBP like Shanti suggested, it has helped me though my experiences are really really docile in comparison.I think you are brave!

I have a questionthat has been bothering me.I am not sure if this is the right place to write this -I mean do I have to start a new post/thread ?anyway, though i am fairly new to all these practices and at best am only trynig to find a stable base yet-I have begun to be plagued by pimples since the awakening more on the left side of the face.Even when I stopped chanting entirely the pimples continued. I find acne at my age embarrassing and bothersome having had a relatively pimple free teenage! I have experimented with my diet and this summer when i ate a lot of melons and cooling fruit the pimples vanished only to reappear now.From some of the lessons I learnt that the digestive fire is kindled and that increases the heat in the body?ON one occasion Eating one egg caused 3-4 pimples the next morning!(I was experimenting with heavier food to ground myself and egg seemed to be heavier than my predominantly vegetarian diet).
I would highly appreciate any information a)on my symptoms of acne b)what would be considered heavier in a vegetarian diet? c)would giving up tea increase the rate of purification(is it considered tamasic/whatever? I had given up tea/coffee when my awakening occured)

I would also highly appreciate any thoughtsabout my initial experience- like why was the explosion at the heart much larger even filling my body compared to the explosions at the other chakras.Were my chakras opened after that? what did it mean?Though I know we should not focus on experiences I really am curious.

Lastly I would like to thank Yogani and all members here for all the lessons,guidance,interaction, support and even just being there to listen.Its a big relief to be even be able to write about all this stuff.(I find it difficult to write/speak about issues-i think my doubts are silly in comparison to all the deep stuff and though I have been debating whether to begin and how to join a converstion/thread as it is called i guess for quite some time now, I have been able to do it only today)

Love you all!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2009 :  6:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meera

Hi All,
This is my first post though I have been following this site fairly frequently over almost a year now 10months to be precise.

Hi Meera,
Welcome to (posting at) the AYP forums.

quote:

I have a questionthat has been bothering me.I am not sure if this is the right place to write this -I mean do I have to start a new post/thread ?

Your post is beautiful and there are some good questions. If you are OK with it, maybe re-posting this post as a new topic will be great (you can leave this here because it has replies to Manig.) That way people can reply to you and welcome you and this topic wont get confusing. If you are not comfortable doing so, it's fine. I will post a reply to you soon.

quote:

Its a big relief to be even be able to write about all this stuff.(I find it difficult to write/speak about issues-i think my doubts are silly in comparison to all the deep stuff

We have all had questions and issues like this. So nothing can be small and/or silly. Please never hesitate to ask.

Thanks again for your beautiful post.
Go to Top of Page

meera

India
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  01:43:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit meera's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti! Thanks for the tip!I have just posted this as a new topic.I hope I have some replies!
Go to Top of Page

manig

India
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  03:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit manig's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
You have very strong bhakti. Bhakti can be a blessing and a curse. It is a double edged sword.. without it, it can get hard to continue, with too much of it, it can get hard to continue smoothly.

What you can try to do,
1) Modify Spinal Breathing: Sit on a chair or anywhere else but your regular meditation seat. Don't sit in siddhasana. Don't close your eyes. Now with your eyes open, breath in and follow your awareness up your spine from root to third eye, breath out and follow your awareness from third eye to root. Do this for 5 to 10 min. In a few weeks you should get used to this. Then close your eyes and do this.

2) Again, sitting on the chair, not in siddhasana, close your eyes and in your mind repeat "i am". The min you realize you are getting pulled into the a place that you are losing control, treat it like a distraction and come back to "i am". This is the technique of deep meditation as taught in AYP.

Here is what you are trying to do. You are trying to get control over your path and not let the energy take control of you. Once you know how to control your energy, you will not get pulled around by your nose and you will not suffer from overloads. Then surrendering to the energy will happen more smoothly.

I know what I am writing sounds very egoic. Before AYP, I would do 3 hrs of meditation and had all sorts of visions and experiences, but with that came loads of overloads like you are experiencing. Yogani and many others at this forum, kept telling me to simplify.. go to 10 min spinal breathing and 20 min meditation. I did not want to lose all the awesomeness that went with the experiences and totally believed, the only way to get anywhere was surrender to what was going on. It was only when I got tired of the overloads and the "1 step forward 2 steps back" did I quit everything and simplified my practice, and stuck to it. The progress that came with it was not to my egos liking, but it has taken me further faster. I can see it today after a bit more than 4 years of practicing AYP.

This is the only reason I am asking you to take charge of your path. Energy is like a wild horse that needs to be trained. Tame it so it wont run around like a wild horse causing havoc, rather train it so you can use it to purify and open your nervous system so the divine can flow through you.

Hi Shanti

I tried to follow your steps this morning. Here is the result:

1) Spinal Breathing: I sat on a chair instead of my regular cushion. I kept my eyes open. With the first breath in I imagined the awareness moving up like a thread from the root to third eye. Then back from the eye to root with breath out.

At second breath my eyes became wide open. My forehead became heavy and the third eye spot (where I have the sunken dent) began to throb. I was at the verge of becoming the witness.

So I had to stop the process. Because once I am in witness state, there is no possibilty to imagine anything. Then I just perceive/watch... my thoughts/mind/envoirnment etc.

I began to cry. Don't know why. Its the same when I hear a mantra sometimes. I was not sad or in pain. It was like crying for no reason. Like wailing in missing someone you love so much. I really don't know how to explain... its like having an unbearable orgasm. You are crying with overjoy. But there was no orgasm.

2) Well I pulled myself together and tried the next method. Again, while sitting on the chair I closed my eyes and in my mind said I AM... once... at the second I could say just I..... and my second chakra point near the end of the spine heated up. I was again at the verge of becoming witness. I stopped immediately and opened my eyes.

My back (at the second chakra point) was hurting. It was a clear sign that the energy wanted me to sit in siddhasana so further process can be carried forward.

But I was getting late for work so I suffered the pain for a while and it went away itself. Otherwise I had to sit and complete the daily meditation that takes about an hour.

What shall do then?

I know Energy is a wild horse. Its in me all the time 24 hrs. But for 1 hour in the morning I let this horse do what it likes. The process is smooth to me because I have super strength in me that allows me to do all the asanas without any pain. Once you are a witness there is no pain or overload. I am just impatient.
Go to Top of Page

manig

India
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  03:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit manig's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Life changed after that...
Love you all!

Hello Meera

Nice to meet you.

Your story is very similar to mine. And I am glad you are in well control of your energy.

I used to hear a Snake hissing when I messed up with my third eye. A voice of a person who warned me that a Snake is after my life and will destroy my family.

I have no visions during my meditation now.

I have done Amaroli too. Although I thought it was the result of repressing sexual desires. But perhaps not.

I did not like tea/coffee since childhood. But I drink once a while in a week. However I have became a vegetarian automatically once I began to meditate.

Here is a mantra of Lord Ganesha I love the most:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEte1WfP5yI

A few years ago I heard it on radio and began crying. I fell on the floor and my wife tried to lift me up but I could not. My legs had given up. The Om Shantih Shantih Shantih in the end almost killed me.

Om Shreem Hreem Kleem Klowm
Gum Ganapathaye Vara Varatha
Sarva-janamay Vasamaanaya Swaha

Tat purushaya vidmahe
Vakratunaye Dhimahi
Tanno Dantih Prachodayat

Eikdantaya vidmahe
Vakratunaye Dhimahi
Tanno Dantih Prachodayat

Om Shantih Shantih Shantih
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  12:57:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Shanti

I tried to follow your steps this morning. Here is the result:

1) Spinal Breathing: I sat on a chair instead of my regular cushion. I kept my eyes open. With the first breath in I imagined the awareness moving up like a thread from the root to third eye. Then back from the eye to root with breath out.

At second breath my eyes became wide open. My forehead became heavy and the third eye spot (where I have the sunken dent) began to throb. I was at the verge of becoming the witness.

So I had to stop the process. Because once I am in witness state, there is no possibilty to imagine anything. Then I just perceive/watch... my thoughts/mind/envoirnment etc.

I began to cry. Don't know why. Its the same when I hear a mantra sometimes. I was not sad or in pain. It was like crying for no reason. Like wailing in missing someone you love so much. I really don't know how to explain... its like having an unbearable orgasm. You are crying with overjoy. But there was no orgasm.

2) Well I pulled myself together and tried the next method. Again, while sitting on the chair I closed my eyes and in my mind said I AM... once... at the second I could say just I..... and my second chakra point near the end of the spine heated up. I was again at the verge of becoming witness. I stopped immediately and opened my eyes.

My back (at the second chakra point) was hurting. It was a clear sign that the energy wanted me to sit in siddhasana so further process can be carried forward.

But I was getting late for work so I suffered the pain for a while and it went away itself. Otherwise I had to sit and complete the daily meditation that takes about an hour.

What shall do then?

I know Energy is a wild horse. Its in me all the time 24 hrs. But for 1 hour in the morning I let this horse do what it likes. The process is smooth to me because I have super strength in me that allows me to do all the asanas without any pain. Once you are a witness there is no pain or overload. I am just impatient.

Hi Manig:

It seems you already have your own style of practice which is more free-form than structured (see Lesson 202), and along with this you are running into some excessive purification.

As Shanti suggested, some structured practice can help balance things out and bring good long term results, but only if you are willing to give the procedures of practice a chance for a pre-set duration of time. Your first attempts at AYP spinal breathing pranayama and deep meditation indicate you are sensitive and in the habit of letting things go wherever they will go. In the case of using AYP practices, the time durations you have been using in your previous practice are much too long. Stabilizing 5 minutes of spinal breathing and 10 minutes of deep meditation (staying with the procedures as described in the lessons), resting, and then going out into normal activity would be an accomplishment. You might find that to be a real eye-opener in daily living.

Neither spinal breathing nor deep meditation require you to do anything if you are in "witness state," as you call it. Both involve favoring the procedure of practice when we become aware that we are off it, coming back into awareness of objects: Favoring tracing the path of the spinal nerve in spinal breathing, or favoring the mantra in deep meditation. It means favoring the procedure when we realize we are off into thought streams, chakra energy things, or any other kind of experience. If energy experiences become too much to favor tracing the spinal nerve, or the mantra, there is an AYP procedure for that also. Check the lessons on deep meditation and spinal breathing at the top of the list here: http://www.aypsite.org/MainDirectory.html
For further instructions, see the AYP books.

The reactions you had with both AYP practices indicates you have a lot of purification going on, and according to past habit you are inclined to go with it in a free form fashion for long periods. There is nothing wrong with free form if it is your practice. But this is your own thing and is not compatible with structured practices like AYP. There may be a limit to how far you can go with an unstructured approach. It is not an easy path. The drama of free form can sometimes be mistaken for progress. It is only energy after all -- in AYP we call it "scenery." When does the scenery end? Never. That is why we use structured practice to gradually move beyond the scenery to enlightenment.

Important: It is not recommended to be doing both approaches at the same time: AYP, and then slipping into your open-ended free form practice. It will only lead you into more excessive purification. Do one or the other. Not both. There will always be time later for looking at combinations and overlaps between modes of practice. It is not a good place to start.

In the case of starting the AYP practices, it is not recommended to take on both spinal breathing and deep meditation at the same time. For most, it is best to take on deep meditation first, stabilize a daily routine with it for a month or two, and them add spinal breathing right before deep meditation. In your case, maybe starting with spinal breathing is an alternative, since you need some stabilization of energy, and training of attention to the route of stabilization in the spinal nerve (sushumna), root to brow. If you take on spinal breathing first, do not attempt deep meditation until spinal breathing is stable in your routine.

No matter what approach you follow, AYP or other, there is one AYP procedure you can benefit from greatly: Self-pacing. Of course, that requires some patience, a willingness to back off on practice durations when there is too much purification going on. Remember, Rome was not built in a day.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: There is plenty of evidence around here indicating that a patient (self-paced bhakti) path with an effective integrated practice routine is much faster than an impatient path with less attention on incorporating effective structured practices. It seems to me you have the capacity to follow a structured practice if you put your mind to it.

Go to Top of Page

manig

India
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  02:24:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit manig's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani
The guru is in you.

Namaste Yogani

Thanks for replying to my post and I am really grateful.

I just read lesson 202, 203, 204 and its a big relief to know that there are a lot of people having similar symptoms as mine.

Moreover, a good thing happened today that I am very much surprised with.

This morning I woke up an hour before my alarm buzzed. I had a hard erection. I was surprised to have it as its been several months I had any. I looked at the time and tried going back to sleep as there was still one hour left for my normal wake up time.

But I could not sleep, the erection won't go and was very hard. I had no choice but to do something to let the erection go away. Which eventually resulted into raising the energy to my third eye. The erection was gone but now my third eye was erect/hard.

So I had the urge to get up and do Shirshasana. got up and the body did Shirsasana the same way it does at the end of my regular meditation... thrusting the energy to Bindu, Crown and Third eye (back/front sides).

WHAT HAPPENED?

Normally I wake up, then go to loo, then brush my teeth, take bath and then meditate for about 30 minutes followed by some yoga/prayers ending with Shirshasana. Total 1 hour.

But today I woke up and went straight to Shirshasana. So I was confused what should I do after bathing today? As I did not have any urge to meditate.

Well of course.... Spinal Breathing! YES!

After bathing, I went to my meditation room and did Spinal Breathing as per your lesson. I did it! And I noticed that it works like a mantra. Imagination of energy going up/down would carry on with the rhythm of my breaths itself after few minutes.

Then I also tried to test if I can do Deep meditation with I AM. And I did that too... after 5 minutes the I AM became part of the rhythm of my breath like a mantra going on itself.

So yes, I am able to follow your structured practices.

But I have one question.

I might not have an erection and then going straight to Shirsasana tomorrow. (Maybe it was just a hint by the Guru inside). So is it OK if tomorrow morning I first do my regular meditation, ending in Shirsasana, then rest for a while and then follow your structured practices?
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  12:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manig:

Yes, there are many ways to approach this, and you are not alone in the experiences you are having. Each will choose the particulars of their own path. That is the emerging 21st century paradigm. AYP is an open resource for that.

That said, there are certain underlying principles that are in play, as you can see in Lesson 204. The Eight Limbs of Yoga book updates this list to reflect evolving experiences in the community of practitioners.

If it is your choice to double up the old practice regime with a new one, it will be your experiment, and no one can predict the outcome. All that can be said is that the odds for overdoing will be increased, and this may come as a delayed reaction, so it may be difficult to know what is causing what. That may not be such a problem for you.

Your fortitude for weathering energy experiences seems considerable, and that is a good thing. However, if you are using that to take a random approach to daily practice, results will be less than optimum over time. Some days you will feel like practicing, and other days you will not, sort of an all or nothing approach according to the inner winds. The phrase "Leaf in the wind" comes to mind, but it comes lovingly.

In the AYP approach, we do not take that approach. Practice is structured twice daily. Period. And we have a strategy for maintaining that through the ins and outs and ups and downs of life. There is plenty of flexibility in-between our sittings. It is the structured time in sitting practices that keeps the whole thing moving forward. Experiences come and go. If you rely on experiences for primary guidance in what you will practice each day, it will be an inconsistent path.

If you are asking for recommendations on what to practice, I point you to the AYP lessons and books. The rest is up to you. I cannot advise much on other systems of practice. The possibilities are endless.

These are your choices to make. I am sure you will find an ecology that works for you, a balance between structure and free form, and a balance between effective practices and "gee whiz" experiences.

Remember, it is not the whims of this week or next week that will make the difference. It is what you are doing consistently over years and decades that will produce the result. Not that you must look that far ahead, but each day you set the course that will determine the long term result. There are plenty of ways to apply your impatience to that with good effect. I have been "impatient" about this for nearly 40 years, and still am (for everyone else). It is a matter of applying the most effective tools in a systematic manner, according to individual need, whether the scenery is looming large at the moment or not. It ain't about the scenery. It's about "waking up" beyond the scenery and living That continuously and naturally in the here and now. Where else can we live it?

The guru is in you.

PS: On the erection, see here: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....page=2#56835
It is scenery too.

Go to Top of Page

meera

India
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  12:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit meera's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manig,
Hearing any devotional song, or mantra of Lord Ganesh makes me want to cry and I have this tingling and piloerection on my back.Now the feeling has extended to Lord Shiva as well and out of the blue I am struck by a deep longing to go on a kailash mansarovar yatra.The feeling hits me anytime ,in the gymn at work anywhere.

All thats better after SBP. My experience was that when i was only on the mantra i woould have piloerection and it would spread from the lower back upwards almost upto the scalp. Now with SBP on inspiration I find the piloerection travelling upwards and on expiration the piloerection travels from the scalp downwards. I think there is a lot in the Shiva travelling down the sushumna theory and it does help to balance things. I can understand how you feel about your style of practice on some level .Sometimes i wonder if i am resistant to I AM because of some feeling of loyalty to my ishta,perhaps at the subconscious level and its not really rational and its just a thought. Perhaps i will try I AM tomorrow by cutting down on the other mantras and see how that works out!
All the best!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  08:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Well of course.... Spinal Breathing! YES!

After bathing, I went to my meditation room and did Spinal Breathing as per your lesson. I did it! And I noticed that it works like a mantra. Imagination of energy going up/down would carry on with the rhythm of my breaths itself after few minutes.

Then I also tried to test if I can do Deep meditation with I AM. And I did that too... after 5 minutes the I AM became part of the rhythm of my breath like a mantra going on itself.

So yes, I am able to follow your structured practices.

OK.. so now we have to get this "thumbs up" icon.

I am really happy for you Manig. Yesterday morning while I was meditating, I had this poem come to me: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=6358
Then your post above (about trying, but practice not working) came to my mind and I was wondering how I could show you, it is possible to do your practices if you just let go the idea that you cannot do it. I remember Nithyananda saying, "when you come to me and ask for something, believe in yourself that it will happen.. if you come and ask with the intention, I will ask and it wont happen.. well then it wont happen".

But I did not have to write all this to you, because when I came back to the forum, you said the practices worked for you.

I hope you can keep up with your practices. It really does make a huge difference, not in the way the mind wants it to be, but in a way that will make you the channel for the outpouring of divine loving.

Thank you again for trying and for your honesty and for your beautiful postings.
Go to Top of Page

manig

India
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  12:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit manig's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I have been "impatient" about this for nearly 40 years, and still am (for everyone else).

You are not really still 'impatient' are you?

I just downloaded 8 limbs of yoga and listened the introduction. Will start reading the book tomorrow and I am sure it will be very helpful.

I am not after scenery or experiences... mind and maya are limitless at that. I just don't want to die without being born.

Thank you
Mani
Go to Top of Page

manig

India
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  1:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit manig's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

All the best!

Sanskrit is so beautiful isn't it? so pure... every word sounds a true expression of love... so peaceful.

no wonder it was called the language of gods.

Where do you search me?
I am with you
Not in pilgrimage, nor in icons
Neither in solitudes
Not in temples, nor in mosques
Neither in Kaba nor in Kailash

I am with you O man
I am with you

Not in prayers, nor in meditation
Neither in fasting
Not in yogic exercises
Neither in renunciation
Neither in the vital force nor in the body
Not even in the ethereal space
Neither in the womb of Nature
Not in the breath of the breath

Seek earnestly and discover
In but a moment of search
Says Kabir, Listen with care
Where your faith is, I am there.
Go to Top of Page

manig

India
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  1:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit manig's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I hope you can keep up with your practices. It really does make a huge difference, not in the way the mind wants it to be, but in a way that will make you the channel for the outpouring of divine loving.

I know I can sort myself out now... because I know you are with me.
_
( ((
\ =\
__\_ `-\
(____))( \----
(____)) _
(____))
(____))____/----
Thumbs Up

Beautiful poem... reminded me of a haiku I read somewhere:

butterflies setting out... to cross the sea

have disappeared

myself comes back to me.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  1:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Manig:

Your bhakti (spiritual desire) is flowing and beautiful. If you combine that with some effective structured practice there will be no stopping the unfoldment. Even bhakti alone is unstoppable, but it can be a rather rough trip that way.

On the impatience, that is the heart of bhakti, so you are blessed. As it leads you to individual liberation, it will also expand to encompass the liberation of all beings. It never ends, but it does become infinitely more joyful.

You have been born in bhakti already, and you shall never die, for this is beyond the body/mind. It flows into the world as divine love.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  03:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I just don't want to die without being born.

Nice way of putting it.

Your bhakti for AYP practices gets stronger if you follow along and participate here.What i have noticed so far is that there are cycles and symptoms that come and go. And if you stick with the twice a day prescription whilst combining that with grounding/self-pacing rather than fall into irregularity phases then you make much quicker progress.The neurobiolgical re-wiring occurs quicker. What Yogani is very good at is fueling our bhakti- that is why we love him so. I guess he did it on his own as he said over a lifetime of exploration.I can only imagine how lonely and long a trip that must have been.I am very grateful for this,to him, to AYP.I would still be where i was if i had not chanced upon this site some 5 months ago.The horror. I would'nt have a clue what i was doing, quite seriously!

You see i ran into some problems pretty early on in my yoga "journey" though i am working on the SbP at the moment ,the other core practice, tracing the spinal nerve root-to-brow, to further iron out any disturbances & imbalances found in the energy body. The development is less clunky if i practice regularly combined with an active lifestyle.The clunkier phase for this one is longer.

69 Q&A – Kundalini symptoms, imbalances, and remedies

I've had a lot for a few years now, bhakti( though i never knew what it was, or how it fitted into the overall schemme of yoga , just that the 'bhagavad gita' mentioned it as being one of the four yogas-karma,bhakti,jnana and raja-now how one exactly integrated all 4 in daily living makes much more sense, i.e that book, if i revisited it, accoording to the AYP full-scope approach) though my need to find a destination is on the wane a bit since engaging with AYP.I have made good progress.And am grateful for the the warm companionship found here.

But the main thing is the twice daily prescription. Results are less than optimal and the practices don't stick as well without this prescription. The clunkier phases and all the cycles are merely prolonged.

You sound like you are off to a flying start.

Edited by - Akasha on Sep 19 2009 04:22:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

manig

India
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  03:53:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit manig's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

If you combine that with some effective structured practice there will be no stopping the unfoldment.

The guru is in you.

Thank you, Yogani!

I am on it.

And a scene this morning:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=6367

:)
Go to Top of Page

littlejerry

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  10:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit littlejerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani said this further up in the topic... idk how to do the whole small print "quote" thing...

"If you are asking for recommendations on what to practice, I point you to the AYP lessons and books. The rest is up to you. I cannot advise much on other systems of practice. The possibilities are endless." -Yogani... earlier in the topic

Manig,
If you are free spirited with your practice and tend to want to follow your inner self... or however you put it... i've already put this in a few different topics around the forum... focus on your breath... i havent read anything on AYP's breathing techniques... haha some of the things i've read on here seem complicated... might just be the words i dont understand... but anyway... opening up is an easy natural process. (well not always "easy") But i'm finding it to be very fun. Sorry BREATHING... i dont mean when you sit and meditate and i'm not trying to say to send your breath to your 6th chakra? lol During the day... your daily routine if you feel your mind wandering or if its jumbled... you know what i mean... feel your breath go in and out. This helps me to stay in the moment. I'd begin by doing it by yourself... during the day still... but when ur on a walk or driving in a car... then you could incorporate it into more things.
well this has worked for me.......i've tried practicing with a routine and eh i'm not quite ready for that... though i am somewhat excited about it... especially some physical poses... it will come when it comes.
I hope this was of some help.
Go to Top of Page

littlejerry

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  3:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit littlejerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
...on last post... its pretty "elementary" (the breathing thing) but it seems like your having trouble... AYP can be used for many things... i use it as a resource, for others its maybe a guide. However you choose to use it... stick to that.
Go to Top of Page

manig

India
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  05:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit manig's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by littlejerry

...on last post... its pretty "elementary" (the breathing thing) but it seems like your having trouble... AYP can be used for many things... i use it as a resource, for others its maybe a guide. However you choose to use it... stick to that.

Thank you Akasha and LittleJerry

I have found the answer here:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=2345#57276

AYP is great!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000