Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Yawn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  04:21:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Does yawning has any significance in spirituality / yoga?

When we yawn, does it come from our etheric or astral body? Who yawns? (I just read in Kundalini Yoga that sub prana called Devadatta does yawning.)

Does yawning work like bridging / connecting to our other bodies?

Sometimes the other person yawns simultaneously with you? Is it because our auras/astral bodies had merged that time?

After meditation, my body yawns and stretches itself. Does it do so the etheric / astral body is fixed back to the physical (grounding)?

I think Yawn comes from the same place where Automatic yoga comes from. Its mysterious.

Just some thoughts and would like your views.

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  07:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI manigma

This has cropped up before here is a link to some discussions that may interest you.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=4401#4401

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....C_ID=358#358

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=4387#4387

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....C_ID=294#294
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  08:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the links.

As Jim & His Karma has mentioned, its mysterious for the scientists but not for Yoga.

I have done bit more research. The sub prana (Devadatta) that causes yawning is a built-in process in every being to tranquillise the mind/body. Udana is one of the five Pranas that takes the Jiva to Brahman in sleep. Separates the physical body from the astral body at death. - Kundalini Yoga Its sub-prana is called Devadatta.

When the body/mind comes to a tired/boring state, this sub prana starts to function automatically.

Coming back from the meditation is like going back to sleep for me. So I can understand why my body yawns and stretches then.

Stretching functions like putting your hand back in the glove. Or putting/fitting your soul back in the body.

When I am in meditation, there is no "I" but only awareness. There is no hunger or desire. In yoga a sub prana called Krikara induces hunger and thirst. During meditation it suspends its functions. Perhaps Devadtatta is also suspended and it awakens afterwards. When you are back in the world with your "I".

Edited by - manigma on Feb 08 2010 08:15:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  11:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The last month or so the yawning has been very consistant for me and it seems to have been spurred on by Kechari stage 3. The 3rd link that Richard posted is a topic I started about a year and a half ago, and up until a month or maybe 6 weeks ago, I hadn't had any more issues with excessive yawning during pranayama. But ever since I have been able to get into Kechari 3, most of my inbreaths during pranayam contain a yawn at the very top of the inhale and this usually pulls the tongue out of Kechari (this is kinda annoying as I can't get the tongue into Kechari without pushing it back with my fingers). That said, there is no yawning during meditation although I do keep my tongue in stage 3 during meditation as well, so it seems to be caused by the combination of Kechari 3 and SBP. I assume that this is just a phase, same as it was a year and half ago, and that it will pass when it is time.

Love.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  11:14:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hah Hah .... this is interesteing, not what i expected to be able to relate to as a common subject with my friends here or anyone.

Years ago, when i had my Chi activated (Google:Natural Chi movement), meaning that unblocking was done, so that "Heaven Chi" could rush down into my system from space, i started yawning and could not stop. I could hardly talk because of it, and found it to be very funny!

Later, after i did the same procedure to open a friend, he had the same reaction!

I always assumed it was a cleansing response, but i see here that there are other possibilities!

Thank you!

Hugs
Rael!

Edited by - Rael on Feb 08 2010 2:28:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  02:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Rael

Years ago, when i had my Chi activated (Google:Natural Chi movement), meaning that unblocking was done, so that "Heaven Chi" could rush down into my system from space, i started yawning and could not stop.

Yes, yawning loosens the grip of our astral body / soul from our physical body. This allows the Heaven or Hell Chi to enter / possess us.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  06:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A friend of mine is a healer. She yawns as she is clearing energy. I think we all do :)
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  06:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

A friend of mine is a healer. She yawns as she is clearing energy. I think we all do :)

Yes, I also know two local fakirs/healers who yawn when they pass their blessings (clearing energy) of the needy. They put their hand on the crown of the ill person and utter prayers while yawning.
Go to Top of Page

Rael

USA
173 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  11:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rael's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by manigma

quote:

Years ago, when i had my Chi activated (Google:Natural Chi movement), meaning that unblocking was done, so that "Heaven Chi" could rush down into my system from space, i started yawning and could not stop.

Yes, yawning loosens the grip of our astral body / soul from our physical body. This allows the Heaven or Hell Chi to enter / possess us.

Do you feel we have any choice about the Heaven or Hell energy?
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  11:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yawning also means (in a more scientific/physical sense) that the brain needs more oxygen, and therefore that the breathing rate isn't in harmony with the rest of the body, at least temporarily...in yogic cases, it is just another sign of purification.
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2010 :  01:11:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Do you feel we have any choice about the Heaven or Hell energy?

Depends on the person's faith/bhakti. Sometimes both descend at the same time and you have to make a choice.

Heaven Chi (liberation) wants to take you up while Hell Chi (desire) pulls you down. Finally, the energy you chose takes time to adjust itself. Sometimes there is an inner quarrel that can lead to madness if the choice is not made soon.
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  12:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a few days when I was yawing frequently after meditation. For the past week or so, my head would go all the way back, mouth wide open, a big yawn. As I have a clearer sense of it, this has something to do with opening the nasal passage and throat, leading the energy down the front channel. Before I yawn, I actually open my nose wide, and then my throat is opened to max., too. After this, I can vaguely feel energy flowing down.

The automatic yoga during meditation is getting a bit excessive,btw. After the first 10 minutes, the head started to pull all the way back, stay for a while, then sink all the way down into chest. This would alternate. And the session, if I let it go (feeling like to), it would go on for 40 minutes. I have had 4 35-40 minutes meditation sessions in the past two days.

During pranayama, the head would gently move forward when inbreathing, and backward outbreathing.

And similar to manigama's experience, I'd breath in fully, hold on a few second. and stretch the body, automatically.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000