Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Yawning on inbreath of most Pranayama cycles?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  12:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Friends,
A quick question for you all. I have been having an oddly consistant experience the last few days during Pranayama and I am wondering if any of you can shed some light into this for me....For the past few days I have noticed that during Pranayama (which I did recently increase in length from 5 to 8 minutes twice daily, and may have some bearing on this I don't know) on nearly every in breath as I get closer an closer to the top of my collarbones along the shushumna I am getting intense yawning happening and it is quite distracting I find. It makes my breath much less controlled and much harder to trace my spinal nerve. This is starting to affect the depth I am getting out of Pranayama and I am looking for ways to cut back on the yawning. I am wondering if it is lack of oxygen and that is caused by my intentionally breathing slowly, if it is some kind of reaction to my lower methadone dose, (yawning is a withdrawl symptom for me) or if I am doing something wrong that I am not aboe to recognize. Either way it is getting in the way of my Pranayama practices and hope that someone can give me some advice. Thanks in advance.
Namaste,
CarsonZi

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  12:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
The yawning is a sign of energy movement and one of my students gets it doing spinal breathing within seconds of starting.She also starts suckling as she gets the nectar running down her throat and it is a kriya.(involuntary movement)Other common experiences can be popping noises in the neck, stomach rumbling, or pressure in the head.They are all signs of purification and I doubt if you can do anything about it, well my student has never been successful so simply accepts it.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  2:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, the yawning has been part of my pranayama since I've started 1.5years ago. I find it's not a problem and I've integrated it into the routine.
If you're now "forced" to yawn, there's a good chance that this will subside and you'll be able to regulate the compulsion to yawn so that it'll just flow smoothly with the inbreath.
I wouldn't say it's uncommon, my friend has exactly the same thing happening. But anything resembling a full uncontrolled yawn will smooth out over time, I'm sure :)
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  2:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reassurances!
RipTiz. The other day for the first time I got a couple of wierd pops in my head. It felt really wierd and I heard it outside my head as well. This was also at the same time that I got an intense pressure from the neck up and a heavy throbbing at the ajna point on my forehead. This pressure has come back every mediation since then but has been lessening in severity with each meditation. I also get ringing in my ears, (the unstruck sound I believe) but this has been happening for about 3 weeks now and is NOT lessening at all. I have had the strange gurglings in my stomache as well on the next day after the popping head thing, but this was a one time thing so far for me. Unfortunately I am getting no nectar running down my throat but maybe oneday that too will happen. I am glad to hear that this yawning doesn't mean I am doing something wrong and need to adjust. Hopefully it will subside as well and my pranayama can go back to normal. Thanks for the quick and thoughtful replies!
Namaste,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  4:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarzonZi,
While I was looking for posts with "yawning" discussed in them, I found something interesting posted by Jim.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=3300#28925
quote:
Jim said: David, yawn is the deepest conscious dilation one can do without a lot of yoga practice. And yawning needn't just take place where it normally takes place...with practice, the move can be directed just about anywhere. It's a helpful move to direct to achieve a temporarily opening at a block....sort of a foreshadowing of how things will feel after mantra and/or asana has more deeply and enduringly worked on it. When parents teach kids to clear ear pressure via yawning and swallowing, they are, yes, teaching them a yoga move.It's not the yawning that does it, per se...it's the yawning-ness. And that's what I'm suggesting here, as well. Don't just yawn, but dilate the exact spot at the base of the throat, front of the collar bone, with a yawny feeling.

Scientists don't know why we yawn. I'm increasingly convinced that all the things which strangely elude scientists about the human body and its energy, etc, are energetic-body yoga issues. For example, shivering, laughing, and crying - all mysterious to science - are all telltale yogic diaphragmatic contractions which evoke a tiny spray of healing/energizing/consoling kundalini. That's not gonna come up via research! :)

So you yawning as you get closer to your collarbone, could be like a kind of automatic yoga.. to dilate your throat more.
Just thought it was interesting.. so pointing it out.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  4:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
SHANTI!!! That link you posted showed me Jim's technique for migraines using yawns...AND I tried the techniuqe and INSTANTLY my headache disappeared. I'm not kidding. I'm not exaggerating. It is GONE. I've had a headache all day since my morning meditation and after one really deep yawn while trying to expand my throat got rid of my headache instantly. Thank you so much for posting that link! A real saving grace!
Namaste,
CarsonZi

Edited by - CarsonZi on Sep 05 2008 5:03:10 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000