Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 feeling really weird after practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  2:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

Have been a little low on sleep last couple of days.

Got home from work today, did a 5 minute qigong practice (zhan zhuang, standing meditation, no visualisation/movement or anything), then sat down and did 1 minute alternate nostril breathing, 1 minute spinal breathing, 5 minutes meditation, 2 minutes samyama, then rested.. fell asleep for an hour, woke up feeling dizzy, disorientated, spaced out and uncomfortable.

Had a cup of tea and a cigarette, still feeling now as if I am not really here, like part of me is dead. Still a little dizzy.

WTF!! Help?

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2010 :  2:50:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
many teachers, yogani included I believe, suggest not going to sleep after practicing a mantra meditation. so maybe that is what caused it, no big deal.
for me sometimes I feel that way after a nap, or sometimes i feel that way and then take a nap and feel fine after.
best to you
Brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

Arjuna

USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  09:43:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
for the most part, my meditation sessions are without any noticeable phenomena. In other words, I sit twice a day, get up off my cushion, and go about my daily activities. I have been doing the AYP practice of SPB/DM for 8 months. Once in a while, I get a delayed reaction ~3 hours post morning meditation. Symptoms include an uncomfortable feeling that I am losing mental clarity and focus. I am here, but I am not here...I am out of sorts...not my usual sharp self. The first few times that this occurred, it was accomapnied by a rush of fear and anxiety, as though I caused irreversible damage to my psyche. I doscovered that in my case, this phenomena would pass within a day or two, and then I would fell like my old self.
It happened again this past weekend, and I just tend to take notice o fit, and let it happen. In doing this, I greatly reduce the amonut of fear and anxiety that used to accompany it.
In retrospect, I believe that my faer and anxiety is a result of the shattering of my 48 years of defining who and what I am.
I am slowly realziing that I have no idea as to what it i sthat makes up this person I call myself. It is scary and yet comfoting at the same time. What will I eventually realize as the result of doing this practice???? Do I really want to know???? What will replace the old self???? and will I mourn the loss of my former identity???
One thing I realize for myself is that it takes a lot of courage to pursue this path towards Spirituality, an dthe only way that I can fail is if I chicken out. Stay strong, and be brave...I am sure we are not alone.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2010 :  09:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jack,

Did a good night's sleep help?

Hope you are feeling better today.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000