New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  1:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Wondering if yoginis can chime in here, please..

And yogis - feel free to chime in or be grossed out or roll eyes, or any of the above

These past few days have taken an interesting turn, to say the least. Things came to a head over the weekend and turned into a full-blown meltdown. It seemed that whatever was building up inside blew open, like a volcano.. Before describing this, I'd like to profusely thank two people..

Yogani, thank you for your kindness, patience and love -this journey has been possible only because of you. Despite your un-desire to not be labeled, it remains that for me, you are the guru of gurus, the greatest guru. Thank you for seeing me through everything the last few years, including this one.

Shanti, my dearest friend and sister - thank you. I would have been lost without your loving hand finding me. Again and again. As it was this weekend, once more.

Back to the issue.. This meltdown was a culmination of squirminess and growing disillusion that began a few weeks ago, related to deepening inquiry. It was only after I broke down, feeling totally defeated, that I also realized that there was growing bodily discomfort. I have never been one to suffer from PMS, the whole thing being a non-issue for the most part. However, for the last few months, my internal cycle has somehow or other gotten synced up with the lunar cycle. Even though I'd like to dismiss this whole thing as pure coincidence, I'm reluctantly beginning to suspect that:

Full moon + hormone withdrawal = disaster.

The question is why now? I've lived through plenty of full moons in my day without as much as batting an eyelid. And plenty of female cycles without going berserk. Shanti and I were discussing this, and apparently this is common - increasing sensitivity to both cycles arising from practices and openings. As expected (of myself), I researched this a bit and found nothing other than speculations. How would spiritual growth/expansion/opening make one sensitive to hormonal cycles? How does the lunar cycle figure in? What is the natural evolution of such a thing (other than menopause)? Does this mean that I'm looking at a future as a werewolf??

Would love to hear from others who might have experienced this directly or indirectly. I've tried practicing less and practicing more, and neither seems to make much of a difference. I'm trying other things, and will update on what seems to work or not.

Thanks in advance,

kami

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  2:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
when is the full moon this month?
what do you mean by hormone withdrawal....before the period starts?
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  3:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

when is the full moon this month?

It was on the 29th, two days ago.

quote:
what do you mean by hormone withdrawal....before the period starts?

Yes, but even writing this, it all seems coincidental

Love
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2012 :  5:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami,

I used to be dramatically affected by the lunar cycles as well. So much so that, for years, I would schedule an acupuncture appt (usually) 3 days before the full moon since the treatment seemed to help smooth things out. For me, the energy would start to go more "side to side" instead of up and down (which generally resulted in more 'side' effects, pun fully intended )during the 2-3 days before and after the full moon. What I've noticed in hindsight, is that the sensitivity to the lunar cycles seemed to be the result of being imbalanced. I'm much more balanced now, having dropped the majority of formal practices, and I'm no longer negatively affected by the cycles. In fact, quite the opposite. I find the full moon has me filled with awe and wonder, gratitude and appreciation... no more energy woes related to the moon.

Don't know if this applies to your situation, just thought I'd share.

Love!
Carson

P.S. I played a round of golf with our good friend here at the forum, Guy 51, on the full moon this month. Nothing like playing golf by moonlight.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  02:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well on the 29 i was not feeling good ...i started to overload since friday afternoon... dont know if it is related to full moon or not cause i was overloading for some time since months
ps: my period is due this week
oh well loll
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  07:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

P.S. I played a round of golf with our good friend here at the forum, Guy 51, on the full moon this month. Nothing like playing golf by moonlight.

You guys actually played at night with no lights? Very cool.
I've driven straight desert highways at night with the lights off due to full moon. Also piloted a small boat with lights off in a full moon. I love that feeling!
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  07:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami,
Trying to share my expereince with regards to your question:
How would spiritual growth/expansion/opening make one sensitive to hormonal cycles?

In my case - I have never suffered from excessive periods or irregular periods. All of a sudden - I think last year there were a few instances where the cycle either wasnt regular or period was very light, then very heavy.
There was also a lot of heat being generated. I wasnt sure whether this was menopause related or a result of practices( I am still not sure ) What I have definitely noticed - however - is how much more ecstatic I feel when my periods are nearing - so there is a definite spiritual sensitivity / connection to the hormonal cycles.

with regards to lunar cycles - I am just not observant enough...

future as a werewolf ? - oh definitely

Hope things ease for you...
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  09:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone!

Carson, very good point about imbalance. I've stopped all practices for three days (the longest in the last 3 years!) and finally feeling a bit sane. This also brings up the issue of attachment to practices - it was hard particularly this morning to not fit in "at least a short session" (mind coaxing mind) Glad you and Ether enjoy full moon outings!!

Maha, have you noticed any syncing of your cycles with the moon? Do you think the overload is more apparent before your period hits?

Mathurs, thanks for your input.. Please tell me you're too young for menopause, my friend! I can definitely relate to ecstatic feelings, but only after the onset of period. I have noticed the last few months that during those few days, there is such stillness that I realize periodically (pun intended ) that many hours have gone by without a single coherent thought. Very clear difference from the few days prior when there are vague and random thought strings going on.

Love you all!

kami

PS: Would be very interested in hearing from anyone who went through pregnancy after starting AYP and if it was different than perhaps a previous one (minus practices)..
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  09:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami and All,
As we open further, our sensitivity to perceiving energy increases... and as we get more sensitive to energy, we pick on the energy high before and during the menstrual cycle and full moons.

Kami, you know how in India women are told "don't do anything religious/spiritual during the cycle". It was the old way to self pacing... ... Of course, you tell a woman you have too much energy now... so stay away from practices, and the devi in her goes "don't tell me what to do"... but scare her with things like "impure" or "against God", and they may listen.

The sensitivity to full moon also seems to increase over time and I think it again comes with the degree of openness, and how much or how easily we perceive energy, as we open further.

Now mind you, even before a person is open, they do feel the energy in form of (symptoms of) PMS or feelings of being frustrated or angry or heavy headed during full moons, but they are not open enough (or aware enough) to realize it is the increase in energy that is causing it.

The good news is... as we open further, the discomforts felt due to the high energy lessens and as we ground more and more... (like Carson said above) the feeling of being grounded and present in the energy high becomes more. A full moon becomes a night of joy in grounding, even when there is no moonlight golfing involved.

Another piece of good news... once the menstrual cycle syncs up with the lunar cycle, it shifts to a 28 day cycle... sooooo... not too many more full moon/PMS sync ups to go through.

Again, no hard and fast rule that every PMS and/or full moon is going to overload you... so don't go looking for overloads, or expecting them... but while you are in a phase of overload, being aware of the cycles (menstrual and lunar) as a part of self pacing is a good idea.

The less we attach to these, and yet be aware of them, the faster these phases will go away.. so just accepting it is so right now, and taking a break for a day or two from practices, anything spiritual like talks, devotional music, spiritual (bhakti igniting or inquiry igniting) books, even questions of self inquiry that may come up then... go easy with them. It's funny how our mind feels, well I am wasting time by taking a break, but in reality, if we continue practices when we should be taking a break, we are not helping our sadhana really, actually, if we are pushing too hard, we may be heading for a bigger overload that takes even longer to get out of and adds things like fear and anxiety as layers that have to now be worked through...

Here are a few topics that may help (there may be more, but I will have to look for them ... funny as I read the second topic (from 2006) in the list below, I have a post there and I say... "sorry I don't know how to do the lesson link"):
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5076
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=808
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=8031
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=10347
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=10781

Much love to all of you!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  09:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: I have been composing that post above, for more than a couple of hour... being at work, it's annoying when I cant finish a post because I get distracted by "work"
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  1:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Maha, have you noticed any syncing of your cycles with the moon? Do you think the overload is more apparent before your period hits?

hmmm usually i dont have an interest in knowing when is the full moon....so i can not give an answer to your question ....
maybe i will start noticing this a bit...a bit not too much cause in the end it is not really important cause if/when overload shows up well we have to deal with this overload,accept it and definitely self pace
TGIY

thank you dearest Shanti for your post...very informative [img]icon_heart.gif[/img]

Edited by - maheswari on Oct 02 2012 1:03:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  4:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti and Maheswari

Doesn't seem like its all about overload.. Great to hear everyone's opinions.. Will have to see how things evolve.

Love to all.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  09:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
few updates concerning that topic....
yoga does affect a woman cycle ...since 1.5 year the flow of my period is becoming less...this was the only symptom that i had

now the influence is getting bigger...since few months i noticed that the changes of hormones during the cycle are affecting me much more....
before the period starts there are symptoms similar to overload symptoms:
1.electricity in the legs and arms
2.feeling the energy/the blossoming in my lower chakras and lower spine
3.increased headaches
4.sadness ,anxiety,tears,depression ..
5.slight nausea
6.slight diziness
7.possibility of delayed period
8.heat

numbers 3 to 8 happen to all women but the yogi women gets them much much stronger...ie similar to overload symptoms

after the period comes the headache become a strong pressure between the eyes...and a feeling that i want to close my eyes and get a short nap

Edited by - maheswari on Nov 18 2012 09:37:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  05:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
and lots of pain everywhere in the body (pain body/Ekhart Tolle) even in the 3rd day of period!! .... the pain puts you in the present moment...can not think of future moments ..
just observing the pain of this moment while doing daily tasks...hmmm let see if i will survive this moment lolll

Edited by - maheswari on Nov 19 2012 06:22:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  2:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maheswari

Thanks so much for the update. Have been meaning to post on this, but life/work has kept me busy

When you say yoginis have stronger symptoms - is this a known fact? Just curious..

Since this topic, I have been studying correlations between openings/deepening spiritual practices and sensitivity to PMS (and the full moon). Here's sharing some of my understanding..

With openings and "clearing out" of the neurobiology, there is a tendency to become unbalanced dosha-wise (from an Ayurvedic point of view) - rise in energy and silence results in increased "movement"(i.e., vata) and friction or "heat" (i.e., pitta) tendencies. This is especially true if accompanied by intake of lighter food, irregular sleep/rest, certain yoga postures and seasonal changes. Lunar cycles are closely intertwined with our body/mind cycles, and its effects seem to become more prominent with doshic excesses and imbalance. Makes sense, considering the well-known fact of increased psychiatric illnesses that correspond to lunar cycles. The combination of profound openings/clearing of neurobiology + PMS (that already results in imbalance) + lunar cycles = major upheaval.

And that was certainly the case here, with severe headaches, heat, emotional swings and a red, angry rash all of which got worse with the double whammy of full moon + PMS, noticed in the last 6 months of increased openings.

Here are some things that might help:

-It helps to know your inherent dosha make-up (also called prakruthi). Many online quizzes are available for this. However, regardless of what the predominant dosha is, overload seems to be primarily related to excess vata-pitta. But knowing one's prakruthi and bringing things back to it is the goal.
-A vata-pitta pacifying diet is very helpful, particularly at this time of the year when vata predominates... mainly favoring warm, cooked, not too spicy foods. There is also a guide here: http://aypsite.com/ayurveda-diets.html
-For bloating or digestion issues that are common with PMS, taking triphala has been very helpful. A quarter tsp of an asafetida-based powder called hingwastak before a meal is also great.
-One thing that has helped me tremendously is a daily self oil massage (abhyanga). Soothing coconut oil is awesome for the headaches/heat/PMS.. Sesame oil for vata excess.. I favor a fragrant concoction of sesame/sandalwood.
-Not skipping meals or fasting until balance is restored is also helpful.
-Daily exercise is probably the most important thing to do, even if it is walking for just 20 minutes.
-Shatavari (derived from asparagus) is a supplement that is particularly great for women with menstrual issues (helps balance pitta).

A few weeks of these things resolved all my symptoms - I can now do crown/third eye practices without difficulty and I'm considering resuming Ekadashi fasting practices.. I was also very happy to know that my period *and* the full moon came and went without me transforming into that wolf thingy

Some things have helped me so much that I have been inspired to study Ayurveda formally.. it is based on observations of seers/sages who were heavily involved in spiritual practices and on the foundation of Oneness/nonduality and how that translates into creation. The interface between Awareness, body and mind, which is so subtle (and sadly ignored in modern medicine) is the plane where all diagnoses and therapies rest.

Hope this helps..

Love,
kami
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  3:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello Kami
is it a known fact that yoginis have stronger symptoms? i dont know...but this seems to be the case in my experience and the experience of many female practitioners here in ayp
i am vata pita...i am avoiding spicy food...always eat warm cooked food...i was never a fan of fasting (btw vata people have low tolerance for fasting...they easily feel tired) and since several months i am only inclined to eat heavy food...i am rarely consuming fruits and vegetables!!!! which is very different from my diet in previous years....the body is asking for heavier food cause i am saturated with energy...i am not doing sitting practices for the time being cause i had many episodes of serious overload....
just living
currently symptoms similar to overload are happening at period time....will see how things will evolve

Love
Maheswari
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  08:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm definitely noticing overload during the menstrual cycle. Well, I notice it now, anyway. Overload kind of punched me in the nose because I didn't notice it before.

We had a workshop on twists at the yoga center in town last weekend. It was a great experience and I'm very glad I went, but it proved too much.

I did my meditation practice the morning of the workshop, and went to workshop in the afternoon. The next day, I woke up super early and did my meditation practice and then went to another hatha yoga asanas class later that morning.

The ayurvedic eye exercises caused slamming pain into the space between the eyebrows. The dolphin pose caused slamming pain below the navel. I left class for a bit, had a good cry. Returned to class and then had the tears rolling again when class was over. Fortunately the tears weren't accompanied by red eyes and mottled skin, so I don't think anyone but the teacher cottoned on to what was happening.

After that, I had massive night sweats and energy zinging around in random places.

Things are finally calming down and getting back to something close to normal.

Love ya!
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2012 :  1:08:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Liz, hope things have settled down for you..

Yoga asanas are having a profound effect on me lately. It has become a deeply meditative experience; by the second round of sun salutations, I feel like I do with DM - withdrawn in a bubble-like space, moving in harmony with the breath and residing in awareness.

Since starting this thread, the universe has opened up and brought me a host of incredible teachers Quite miraculously, I came across the teachings/writings of Maya Tiwari. She talks extensively about the intimate relationship between the moon and menstrual cycles and provides logical explanations for why this is so. The ideal cycle is menstruation on the new moon and ovulation on the full moon; being out of sync with this results in chronic imbalance of the doshas and depletion of ojas (the end-product of cellular digestion that is responsible for immunity), consequently leading to many disorders.

She also gives numerous case examples of women with breast and uterine cancer, abuse, amenorrhea, PMS, HIV/AIDS (and everything in between) being treated/cured with simple practices, including Ayurvedic food choices, music, and rituals to sync up the moon and menstrual cycles - this is one fantastic book.

Incorporating a few things therein has caused a major and simultaneous expansion and grounding here, and a much needed re-alignment with my dharma. Very grateful

Love,
kami

Edited by - kami on Dec 11 2012 1:10:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2012 :  1:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
for the first time since last june,the overload before my period was mild...
it was basic pms plus mild overload symptoms ....
the new thing is that i had few energy shivers....as if my body is managing/moving around/throwing out things lol
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2012 :  10:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the book recommendation! I've got it on order, and I'm looking forward to reading it.
Go to Top of Page

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2012 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami as you stated, Moon cycles do affect sadhakas and they take them through a very personal journey. These are powerful realities - moon and earth - and do exert their pull on us.

Amavasya = earth pull
Pournami = moon pull

Womens periods are based on a lunar cycle thus a woman is more connected to the lunar cycle than men. Although I have felt like a women most of the times myself and have been affected by moon cycles myself, i know one thing for sure - the moon opens one up for receptivity towards grace(higher things). And earth is more grounding i guess... Most sannyasins shave their head before Amavasya so as to tough out the rough and overcome pain by indulging in any painful realities in life.
Also I observed in mysore tradition of Sri Pattabhi Jois, they do not practise on both full moon and no moon days. It seems these days are really best for meditation and maynot be the best day for overloading on sadhana.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2013 :  05:22:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dear whippoorwill
last night i was doing a bit of asanas...and then suddenly i had a good cry for around 5 min,u know this kind of crying that comes from inside the limbs,from inside the navel so to speak...
oh well
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  07:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
since the full moon is on the 25th of February ..i have say that that this time the overload before full moon is only 15-20% then it used to be...a big decrease compared to the last 6 months/maybe 9 months....i have done 90 min massage 2 weeks ago maybe that helped a lot and maybe the energy is starting to really settle down
do i have the urge to resume sitting practices and energy cultivating practices? well no...nada...for now
i trust that when the urge to resume sitting practices will be true it will be so strong that i would not be able to ignore it....till then i m satisfied with my 20 min asanas per day,one samayama sitting,more selfless work,some yoga material translation and spontaneous self enquiry when it happens

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  08:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing Maheswari!

Massages are the best!
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  11:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by maheswari

since the full moon is on the 25th of February ..i have say that that this time the overload before full moon is only 15-20% then it used to be...a big decrease compared to the last 6 months/maybe 9 months....i have done 90 min massage 2 weeks ago maybe that helped a lot and maybe the energy is starting to really settle down
do i have the urge to resume sitting practices and energy cultivating practices? well no...nada...for now
i trust that when the urge to resume sitting practices will be true it will be so strong that i would not be able to ignore it....till then i m satisfied with my 20 min asanas per day,one samayama sitting,more selfless work,some yoga material translation and spontaneous self enquiry when it happens

Thanks for sharing Maha!! So glad things are settling down for you.

No more sensitivity here - neither to PMS nor to the moon cycles. Occasionally a restlessness or irritability is noticed, but is very short-lived.. Have been able to add on more practices (both AYP and other).. For now

Love!!
Go to Top of Page

whippoorwill

USA
450 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  1:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maha! Sorry I just saw your reply from January! It's kind of amazing, but it seems now that this separate sense of self seems to originate more and more in the body. And the asanas, especially the twists, seem to kind of "wring it out." When I wring it out too much, I get a nice little cry-fest. When I'm mensing, "too much" is much less than at other times -- maybe because the mensing itself is a cleansing process?

Hi Kami! I ordered and read the book you recommended. It was pretty interesting, although I can't use what's in there as it's written. I have a 26-day cycle, and it's like clockwork. Until the cycle stretches out to 28 days, it doesn't make sense to try to sync it up with the moon. When it's "wrong," all I have to do is wait 4 or 5 months and it'll be "right" again for a few months. But if I take the suggestions that are meant to be timed with the moon cycle and instead put them on the mense cycle, it sounds like a great way to support the body in its rhythms.

It's funny. I grew up stubbornly insisting that women are no different from men. Why should I slow down and take it easy just because of a little blood? Why should I behave differently? Why should I be more emotional? This deliberate ignorance of the body is seen as so foolish now.

P.S. Actually, never mind. There was a legitimate reason for this stubborn insistence. Girls get pretty mad about being told they can't do something or they shouldn't do something because they're a girl. The "well, I'll show you!!" mindset was necessary at the time. Interestingly, my own daughters don't face this very much. Maybe the next generation of women will be empowered AND in tune with the specialness of their female bodies. One can hope.

Edited by - whippoorwill on Feb 23 2013 1:52:39 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000