Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Headaches on Full-Moons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marcus-Oliver

France
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2011 :  09:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I've had head-aches since childhood on fullmoons. I turned to yoga only 2 years ago because of spiritual experiences I had in my teenage years and in my young adult life (now 38): I tried pranayama and indeed, nadi shodhana inhibits much of the pain, but I still feel I suffer from some sort of blockages which lead to head-aches.
What should I do? No food and no yoga seem to be advocated during full-moon. But is there a way I could prevent those head-aches from appearing?

Regards
M-O

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  07:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You must have heard people becoming enlightened on Full Moon.

Some people go crazy (lunatic). I myself used to go crazy on full moon nights. I even tried to commit suicide once. But it was because I never grounded myself properly after meditation.

But some people are naturally sensitive to such events.

"A statistical correlation has not been identified concerning suicidal attempts and the full moon because the full moon does not cause one to commit the act. The full moon and the other listed natural events cause an increased state of anxiety which exacerbates depression and increases the risk of the suicidal urge becoming strong. Actually the risk of attempts of suicide is greatest during the week after the full moon, as increased depression and the resultant suicidal urges begin to take their toll."
http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/cheech0/help.html

A Hindu priest performed a Vedic ritual / prayer for me and I became normal. Then looking at a Full Moon made me very silent and peaceful.

Maybe you can try some grounding exercises during full moon cycles and see if it helps.

And here is a song for you:

My darling, my darling
So crazy, so charming
It's just that it happened too soon
But I send you my wishes
My hugs and my kisses
And whisper a prayer to the moon

~ Eleanor Mcevoy Whisper a prayer to the moon

Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  7:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Same here right now. All is welcome. Comes and goes. Enjoy your stay =P
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2011 :  8:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know about preventing headaches, but you can kill the pain when you get them:
Close your eyes and put all your attention on the headache. Try to perceive it with all your senses (use your imagination). Look inside your head and try to see what color, what shape, what smell, the texture of the pain, the sound of it, does it throb, ache, etc. Put your entire attention on it. If it moves or changes it is starting to go away. Once you get used to it, it's not hard to kill the pain.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  01:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ether, with the risk of increasing the pain:

If done with me mind --> increase and prolong pain
If done from witness --> dissolve pain

I usually take a couple of painkillers and lie down on the bed and wait for it to pass.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  07:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Why do you think it would increase the pain? It has always worked for me, since long before meditation. Pain is there to call your attention to something. Once you respond by giving it your attention, it goes away. Not giving it your attention prolongs it.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  2:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani has a lesson about this. Can't remember which one now, though...
Go to Top of Page

Marcus-Oliver

France
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  3:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

Yogani has a lesson about this. Can't remember which one now, though...

I wish someone could tell me which one it was...
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  9:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you can't discredit my findings with an imaginary lesson.
I have used to above method to kill pain for many years, way before I had any silence or witness. It has always been easy for me to kill pain, once i was taught that method. Once I killed the pain of a broken wrist bone for five months, but it kept coming back because there was something to pay attention to.
But I doubt if headaches on full moons has any underlying physical cause.
It is very useful to know how to kill pain, and everyone should learn how to do it.
Go to Top of Page

delta33

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2011 :  10:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit delta33's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i like the full moon
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  01:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Found it:

http://www.aypsite.org/372.html

Lesson 372 – Witnessing versus Focused Attention to Dissolve Obstructions

quote:
There is a difference between focusing attention on energy imbalances and obstructions, versus allowing awareness to naturally be with (witness) an emotional or physical sensation. The first will tend to amplify the sensation by bringing energy into it, while the second will tend to dissolve the sensation by dissipating the energy of the sensation in unconditioned awareness. It is the difference between strengthening an object in awareness versus dissolving the object in awareness.

Ether, I suppose you have cultivated enough stillness to be able to dissolve it, and that's why it always has worked fine for you! That's great!
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  02:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

I don't know about preventing headaches, but you can kill the pain when you get them:
Close your eyes and put all your attention on the headache. Try to perceive it with all your senses (use your imagination). Look inside your head and try to see what color, what shape, what smell, the texture of the pain, the sound of it, does it throb, ache, etc. Put your entire attention on it. If it moves or changes it is starting to go away. Once you get used to it, it's not hard to kill the pain.

That almost sounds like witnessing. By focusing on the physical pain or focusing away from it one can temporarily forget it.

But to permanently detach from bodily and mental pains one need to establish itself in consciousness.

"IF YOU CAN SEPARATE YOURSELF FROM THE PHYSICAL BODY, AND REST IN CONSCIOUSNESS, THEN THIS VERY MOMENT YOU WILL BE HAPPY, AT PEACE, AND FREE OF BONDAGE."
~ Ashtavakra

BTW, have you seen The Loved Ones?

Edited by - manigma on Sep 14 2011 02:41:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  08:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for finding that EMC. I think the reason it has worked for me and several other non-spiritual people I have taught is not because we have developed stillness, but rather in using the technique correctly.

The technique is to try to see what is there by relating the pain to all of the senses, sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste. This technique promotes witnessing rather than judging or making up stories.
I have NEVER had any reports of increasing pain, and they were not spiritual people.

Go to Top of Page

Marcus-Oliver

France
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Please,

Any idea about the connection between recurring head-aches and full-moons?
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2011 :  2:38:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Marcus-Oliver, welcome to the forums

I can't really tell you why this happens, but I can suggest that you try acupuncture a day or two before the full moon and see if that helps. I have lots of weird symptoms show up in the week preceeding the full moon and I get acupuncture to help relieve them... it works for me, might be worth a try.

Love!
Go to Top of Page

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  01:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus-Oliver

Please,

Any idea about the connection between recurring head-aches and full-moons?

Maybe its trying to remind you of something buried deep into your subconscious. Like a bad memory or a deep impact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO45ZiGql8E

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  1:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
...in astrology, we look to the sun to see the central theme of our lives. The moon reflects the sun and in our birth charts, the moon reflects how we will deal with the emotional issues we face in this incarnation as we seek to fulfill the central goal of the sun. In this sense, karma can be seen as the subconscious patterns of the past that either help or hinder us in achieving the goals of the present life.

While Saturn and the other karmic planets indicate the course or destiny of our incarnations, the moon tells us where we are right now in that journey. The moon shows the emotional imprints we have brought into this life from prior lives. In this imprint we can see the emotional themes that need to be played out, or the emotional patterns that the entity has chosen to break in this life. //http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm..._guide/63431

I remember Bernie Prior talking about this. The moon holds the "sh*t" and every fullmoon it's a lot of cleansing going on. The article he wrote on it is unfortunately gone from the web...
Go to Top of Page

ddaniel

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  8:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all! I'm new to ayp / meditation in general, but have already been hooked for life from what i've experienced. This forum is awesome!

I was reading through this thread, and for some reason wondered what phase of the moon I was born on. I looked it up (March 15, 1987), and it turns out it was a full moon.

I know little to none about astrology, orif it has any relevance to Yogani's teachings, but was wondering if any of you knew if there was any astrological significance to my being born on a full moon.

Thanks, and look forward to getting to know you all better!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2011 :  9:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you get headaches on your birthday? Ha! Just kidding;
Welcome to the forum.
Go to Top of Page

satyan

34 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  1:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit satyan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Marcus,

Welcome to the forum. Usually the odic forces are very active during full moon nights. Within the AYP practices Spinal Breathing Pranayama will be the most beneficial. But as Yogani would have suggested Deep Meditation regularly in the only key before anything would be effective. Outside of the AYP practices I think you have to find a true Sri Vidya Guru who can guide you and tell you what is exactly going on.

Regards,

Satyan.
Go to Top of Page

GoldenLakshmi

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  1:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit GoldenLakshmi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Marcus Oliver,

Not quite sure what is going on with you, but the consistency you speak about - where these headaches happen every Full moon suggest something that needs attention.

I would like to suggest three Sanskrit mantras that might ease your pain.

First - I would chant 108 in the morning and night the mantra to the Moon - you can set your intention to ask Her to please mitigate whatever this connection is:

OM CHANDRAYA NAMAHA

Secondly, I would call on Saturn to help as well, Saturn is the planet that governs our lessons to be learnt here on earth - we say this mantra to lessen the effects :

OM SHRI SHANESH WARAYA NAMAHA

And finally I would call on this mantra to take away your pain - it is to Rama - and all Rama mantras are very healing
but this one in particular is helpful for physical pain:

OM RAM RAMAYA SWAHA

So my suggestion to you is if you really want to change your karma with this afliction and are willing to do some work - you can stack these 3 mantras together repeating them 108 times each in the morning and night for 40 days.

You might use a mala to help you do this.

I hope this helps you, please keep in touch and let me know of any questions and of course would love to hear your experiences after the 40 days are over.

Sending you much love,
Aly
Go to Top of Page

Marcus-Oliver

France
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  4:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for feedback everyone

I'm not that much into mantras but I'll take the advice on inner silence.

Maybe should I be more specific?
As the moon gets fuller and fuller ;), should I counterbalance by only activating the sun channel through pranayama during that period of time?
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  3:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some Kundalini yoga schools map planets onto body parts (apart from the main Nadis).
The 5 fingers are mapped on the 5 elements (the biggest one, the thumb, corresponds to earth), so different finger mudras stabilize/earthen different elements in the body, by connecting the corresponding fingertip to the thumb.

Ayurveda also teaches self-acupressure on Marma-points (the historical predecessors of acupuncture).

To select asanas for relief, you can go to:
www.yogajournal.com/poses/fi...us/t_headache
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000