Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 female questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  10:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The following questions are geared more toward women, but I welcome any responses:

1) Siddhasana - Where do you place your heel? If on the vulva, how do you keep the heel planted there, without it moving to and fro? Do you get any pleasure and/or ecstatic charge from this? Do you use anything instead of the heel, like a rolled up sock? Does it or the heel touch the clitoris at all?

2) Mulabandha - When you slightly flex the anal sphincter as instructed, do you automatically also flex the vagina? Are you able to flex one without the other? And if not, do you find this a bit distracting during pranayama?

3) Menstruation - I've found that if I refrain from painkillers during the first day or 2 of menstruating, there is a LOT of energy that snakes up from my pelvis. Has anyone else experienced this? The unfortunate thing is that without the painkillers, the cramps are as painful as the energy is ecstatic. It makes for an interesting effect, if you're up for the pain.

Do you notice that you're more prone to your heart being open around your period? (or other chakras, for that matter). I wonder if there's an increase in energy that's available to us at that time, and if that energy tends to gravitate to the chakras. Has anyone noticed this?

If any of you are practicing amaroli, do you refrain during menstruation?

Thanks for any responses.

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  12:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meg wrote:
quote:
During Siddhasana - Where do you place your heel?

I have never done Siddhasana. Or actually - I am beginning to understand that I have done it spontaniously, without knowing that what I was doing actually had a name. The only difference is that I never did anything else but look at the spot (perineum)from within. Meaning: I place my attention on that spot

quote:
Do you get any pleasure and/or ecstatic charge from this?

Always. Immediately. Wether I am in or out of meditation.But then again - I get ecstatic feelings anywhere I place my attention (sometimes mixed with pressure (crown or third eye)

quote:
Mulabandha - When you slightly flex the anal sphincter as instructed, do you automatically also flex the vagina?

I have never done Mulabandha.

quote:
Menstruation - I've found that if I refrain from painkillers during the first day or 2 of menstruating, there is a LOT of energy that snakes up from my pelvis. Has anyone else experienced this?

Definitely! About a couple of days prior to my period I always experience an increase in the ecstatic conductivity. It culminates just about the second day of menstruation (i.e.the two days I bleed the most).

quote:
The unfortunate thing is that without the painkillers, the cramps are as painful as the energy is ecstatic. It makes for an interesting effect, if you're up for the pain.

I haven't had cramps since before I had my children, and never take any drugs exactly because it is my experience that numbing myself to pain also numbs me to Life, and I don't want that. That said, I understand that you sometimes need painkillers to "get by" - I don't condemn it, I just don't do it myself.

quote:
Do you notice that you're more prone to your heart being open around your period? (or other chakras, for that matter).

Absolutely. If I can manage to not be dragged down by the fall of hormones, I can observe my irritability, sadness or anger without identifying with it. That always gives me a chance to work on issues that I may not have known,had it not been for the increased vulnerability at the menstrual time.During the change of hormones
,a lot of the energy we usually use to "behave properly" goes to adjusting the hormonal balance - hence we have less "control"; and it becomes more obvious what our real limitations are.

quote:
I wonder if there's an increase in energy that's available to us at that time, and if that energy tends to gravitate to the chakras. Has anyone noticed this?

Yes - as pointed out above. Please keep in mind that I am no expert; what I say here is simply based on my experiences - other people may have a different opinion: I am all ears We lose more than blood during menstruation. The female body uses this time to rid itself of "litter".(I am in a loss of the English word here...,both physiologically and spiritually. For me, the menstrual time is a very golden opportunity to watch how the life force work to purify us. Cause that's what it is - the ecstatic conductivity clears us of spam (or whatever it is called in your language). Of course it implies that i must be VERY AWAKE to myself right then. I don't always manage that (ask my husband and my children....poor guy...he runs through 3 menstrual cycles every month!

Hope this was of some help......hm

Now, I have one question for you guys: What on earth does this "wiwf" mean? Jim and his Karma also said that to me...is it a sound? Enlighten me, please!

May all your Nows be Here
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  12:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Katrine,
I too have enjoyed reading your beautiful poems and appreciate you sharing your life story and experiences. About the abbreviations, I don't know what "wiwf" means, but if you refer to FWIW, it means "For what it's worth". You can check out other chat abbreviations at http://www.computeruser.com/resourc...ry/chat.html

Edited by - weaver on Feb 11 2006 1:10:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  3:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
OIC!
TNXE6 Weaver

TTFN

Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  3:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are most welcome. Now I have to check on that site to be able to read the forum!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2006 :  7:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
TYVM Weaver for the site. AAMOF I had to ask Melissa what LOL meant.
Hi Meg. I guess you have read Yogani's lesson#T28..it says
quote:
For women, the shift to advanced siddhasana involves letting the heel come forward to rest snuggly in the entrance to the yoni. It is a natural fit, and is easily accomplished by most enterprising yoginis. There is a second part to advanced siddhasana for women. This is to bring the toes of the outside foot up from under the shin of the inside leg and tuck the toes between the calf and thigh, bringing the heel of the outside foot to the yoni with the heel pressing against the clitoris. So, when accomplished, this form of siddhasana for women has the inside heel pressing comfortably up in the opening of the yoni, and the outside heel pressing comfortably against the clitoris.
(sorry I don't know how to do the lesson link).
I have had no trouble with the first part. My heel stays in place. The second part where you have to place the heel of your second foot on the clitoris, that is hard for me. I can do it, but cannot stay in that position for long. I don't feel any extra pleasure or ecstatic charge when I do this. In Mulabandha, my vagina flexes too. I never thought about it till you mentioned it. Is that wrong?
I do not take pain killers during menstruation, but I don't feel any extra energy during that time. I wish I had the sensitivity of you guys to feel the chakras and energy and all the wonderful things you guys talk about. Maybe some day I will figure it out, just like today I figured out what all the abbreviations meant...TNX to Weaver.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  12:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

In Mulabandha, my vagina flexes too. I never thought about it till you mentioned it. Is that wrong?

>>I do not take pain killers during menstruation, but I don't feel any extra energy during that time. I wish I had the sensitivity of you guys to feel the chakras and energy and all the wonderful things you guys talk about. Maybe some day I will figure it out, just like today I figured out what all the abbreviations meant...TNX to Weaver.

Shanti - The vagina flexing isn't bad, as far as I know. I was just curious if anyone else was having that happen. It bugs me a little, but I can live with it.

As far as I can tell (afaict?), the energy that some people experience is an indication of purification, not holiness. That's my opinion, mind you, and others may disagree. One of the great things about finding AYP is discovering that there's a great big gaggle of people who are having similar 'experiences', or slightly different ones, or none at all, but it really has nothing to do with one's level of spiritual maturity. If you're having none, it may mean that your nervous system is above-average clean. I, on the other hand, seem to have a lot more cleaning to do.

IAG!

Thanks, BTW, for all your responses. It's been helpful.

m

Edited by - Manipura on Feb 12 2006 5:20:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  2:58:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Meg. BTW what is IAG? Could not find it on the cheat sheet Weaver gave us.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  5:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Thanks Meg. BTW what is IAG? Could not find it on the cheat sheet Weaver gave us.

It's all good! (I made it up).
Go to Top of Page

moonelixir

2 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  12:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit moonelixir's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Meg,
Unfortunately, I can't answer your first question because I can't meditate in Siddhasana at present... circulation problems. I use a meditation bench which does have the advantage of "bolstering" mulabandha, and the sensation is quite pleasant.
Question 2: I am able to flex the vaginal muscle and anal muscle independently.
Question 3: Menstruation... absolutely. Something beautiful has been happening to me lately during meditation when I have my period. Sometimes it happens when I'm not menstruating, but I never know if it will happen or not other than when I am. This has been going on for three months, maybe four. After a few minutes into the "I AM" mantra, a "whoosh" of energy comes up the center of my body from around my tailbone and ascends to my heart. Sometimes it will come up as far as the bottom of my jaw. It feels very much like an orgasm, only not sexual. It's almost like the heart chakra is being "nourished." It lasts for a few minutes, then subsides. I don't know if it is a chakra opening or prana or kundalini, but it is a very pleasant side effect.
Moonelixir

quote:
Originally posted by meg

The following questions are geared more toward women, but I welcome any responses:

1) Siddhasana - Where do you place your heel? If on the vulva, how do you keep the heel planted there, without it moving to and fro? Do you get any pleasure and/or ecstatic charge from this? Do you use anything instead of the heel, like a rolled up sock? Does it or the heel touch the clitoris at all?

2) Mulabandha - When you slightly flex the anal sphincter as instructed, do you automatically also flex the vagina? Are you able to flex one without the other? And if not, do you find this a bit distracting during pranayama?

3) Menstruation - I've found that if I refrain from painkillers during the first day or 2 of menstruating, there is a LOT of energy that snakes up from my pelvis. Has anyone else experienced this? The unfortunate thing is that without the painkillers, the cramps are as painful as the energy is ecstatic. It makes for an interesting effect, if you're up for the pain.

Do you notice that you're more prone to your heart being open around your period? (or other chakras, for that matter). I wonder if there's an increase in energy that's available to us at that time, and if that energy tends to gravitate to the chakras. Has anyone noticed this?

If any of you are practicing amaroli, do you refrain during menstruation?

Thanks for any responses.

Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  2:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Moon! Thanks for responding to the questions. Your energy experience sounds pretty cool - you must look forward to your periods. :)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  2:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Moonelixir.
Thank you for your post. We need more ladies around here.. Thanks for joining us.
Your experience seems really good. Thank you for sharing that with us. That is (I think) what Yogani describes as ecstasy...

Its like having a full body orgasm.. only its not really sexual.. I have those at times..

Well.. you must be the only woman I know who looks forward to her periods.

You can read a little more on the ecstasy bit in lesson#113
http://www.aypsite.org/113.html
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  07:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Moonelixir

Glad to have you with us

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  12:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Since Moon brought up the topic of how, during her periods, she feels a "whoosh" of energy comes up the center of her body from around her tailbone and ascends to her heart and we all agree our meditation is more powerful during our periods.. I thought I would quote something from the Tolle book - "Power Of Now"

This is what Tolle says...
"The emotional or Physical pain that precedes and coincides with the menstrual flow is the pain body in its collective aspect that awakens from its dormancy at that time". "It restricts the free flow of life energy through the body, of which menstruation is a physical expression. " He goes on to say that at this time, the pain body, which is a very powerful energetic charge, takes over your inner self and can pretend to be you.

The way he says you can control it and use it to your advantage towards spirituality is...
"When you feel that the menstrual flow is approaching, before you feel the first signs of PMS, the awakening of the collective female pain body, become very alert and inhabit your body as fully as possible. When the first sign appears, be alert enough to "catch" it before it takes you over." He then explains the symptoms could be sudden irritation, flash of anger, or a physical symptom. Whatever it may be, catch it before it takes over your thinking.

You do this by putting your attention on it.. so "if it is emotional, feel the strong energy charge behind it" "If it is purely physical symptom, the attention you give it will prevent it from turning into an emotion or thought." He says to continue watching for the next one and deal with it the same way. He also says there may be a lot of turbulence inside during this phase.. but if you just watch it.. don't let the pain body take over, it could transform the menstrual period to a time of "joy and fulfillment"... and "give birth to new consciousness"..

OK, now this is from a guy.. so I will have to try it and see how it work..
Maybe Moon already has figured out how to do this...
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  1:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that, Shanti. Funny, I haven't read the Power of Now, except for that one passage. :) And as I read it I thought, hmmmm . . . pms advice from a guy . . . I dunno . . .

I'm a very emotional person, and have had to learn over the years to keep it in check by turning the faucet way down, or else I run the risk of drowning in my feelings. Menstruation has always been a particularly difficult time for me, because I lose control of the emotional faucet and fairly swim in them for a few days. It's a problem and I recognize it and when it's particularly bad I've been known to remove myself from the presence of all but my closest women friends, who understand all too well the hopping hormone syndrome. I have to say that it's gotten much better with age, and I rarely spill over the top any more.

But - the other side of this is the incredible power that comes during this time of month!!!! Has anyone else experienced the strength and determination and POWER that comes to you? Gad - I've made major life decisions, packed up and moved, ended bad relationships, quit jobs that needed quitting - you name it! There's something to be said for the "whoosh" of menstruation, as it empowers us to do what needs to be done.

Nothing against Eckhardt Tolle, mind you. But the 'awakening of the female pain body' doesn't accurately describe my experience. I've read somewhere that the Native American women would go off together when their cycles lined up and do their rituals and be with each other for a few days and let it all hang out. What a hoot! I'd definitely sign up for that. :)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  1:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes Meg.. the will power thing is very true during periods.. its like something very powerful takes over you.. you can take very good or very rash decisions at that time. I also get a little more energy and guts to take on big projects around the house around then...
Go to Top of Page

moonelixir

2 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  10:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit moonelixir's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello beautiful yoginis!
The quote from the Tolle book is very interesting! Maybe a part of me is doing that! I have to say that this experience has taken away the dread of my monthly visitor... like many women, I have a fair amount of physical discomfort that goes along with it and is unpleasant. In particular, I have a chronic skin condition that is triggered by the onset of my menses every month. The ecstasy during meditation has been a help in getting my mind off of it.
More importantly, it is another reason to treasure my meditation practice. I must say, I am so grateful to Yogani for these lessons.
Yes indeed, wouldn't it be wonderful to come together with other women during our cycles in ritual? Perhaps, in the meantime, we can learn to create rituals for ourselves on our own.
peace and good,
Moonelixir
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000