Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 I don't know what path to take
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sprechnd

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  11:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Now I do.

Edited by - sprechnd on Jan 07 2015 9:51:52 PM

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  11:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i think as long as you are doing some type of spinal breathing, along with some types of kriya to hit the navel and heart center specifically( even root would be optimal) and some meditational practice afterwards you are good to go. im not familiar with carl. but pulling prana down from top would push petals downwards and into the body. it seems tantric rather than "spiritual". prolly good better for health rather than becoming liberated

Edited by - adishivayogi on Jan 07 2015 12:25:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2015 :  11:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Sprechnd,

Welcome to AYP Forums. I'm afraid I do not know Carl Schmidt's methods. However, if you are new to Yoga, I would recommend that you stop trying to read tons of material to try and decipher which system is best - you will only get very very confused. Kriya Yoga alone is a can of worms with different teachers arguing on which Kriya methods are original to Lahiri Mahasaya (and therefore best) and which not. What most Kriyabans would tell you though is that you cannot learn Kriya from a book, you need to be initiated and have a Guru overseeing your practices and progress. Please note that this is not MY opinion (I have none with respect to that as I do not know or have enough experience of Kriya to tell for sure). I am just sprouting what I have read from experienced Kriya Practioners.
So I would suggest you start with AYP here

http://www.aypsite.org/10.html

AYP is well detailed and we have a great support group here. No initiation is required and The guru is in you.
Get a taste of Yoga. After that you can start exploring other systems such as Kriya. You can learn much about the different Kriya schools out in this thread:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=12849

Good luck on your path

Sey

Edited by - SeySorciere on Jan 06 2015 11:59:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sol Invictus

91 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  01:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to note something...What is described in your post,Sprechnd,as "Sacred Heart Pranayam" is not Kriya Pranayam as it was taught by Lahiri Baba,and then later by his sons and gradnson,Satyacharan Babu.
AYP's spinal breathing is closer to Kriya Pranayam.

If you want to get good idea about Kriya Sadhana without getting initiated,i would suggest you to check this book,a free pfd
;http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/Eng_Downloads1.html

However,if you decide to practice Kriya,i would strongly advise to learn it in person.Two trusted sources are Ashoke Kumar Chatterjee of Kolkata(student of Satyacharan Lahiri) or Shibendu Lahiri of Varanasi(great grand son of Yogiraj Shamachurun Lahiri,also student of Satyacharan Lahiri)

Can't speak about AYP as it's not my cup of tea.
Good luck and all the best!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  06:11:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello sprechnd and welcome!

I completely agree with Sey.
If you decide to follow AYP, then bear in mind it is a very powerful method. Adding anything on top of AYP practice will expose you to serious risk of overload.

As Sol Invictus pointed out, Yogani has already incorporated part of Krya Yoga into AYP. Spinal breathing is, as far as I know, the "jewel in the crown" of Krya.

Yogani's view is that yoga practice should not start with pranayama. Meditation should always come first. This is explained in Lesson 43 (see final paragraph there). Based on my own experience of yoga (AYP and other methods), I would say that advice is absolutely spot on.

quote:
Originally posted by sprechnd
Yet it seems this Sacred Heart Pranayam can also serve as a deep mediatation too and have the same benefits.

It is not a good idea - and again this is Yogani's view - to mix other techniques within meditation because you will then lose the one-pointedness of attention, which is the feature of effective meditation.

Good luck choosing your path!

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jan 07 2015 06:56:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  06:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Hello sprechnd and welcome!

I completely agree with Sey.
If you decide to follow AYP, then bear in mind it is a very powerful method. Adding anything on top of AYP practice will expose you to serious risk of overload.

As Sol Invictus pointed out, Yogani has already incorporated part of Krya Yoga into AYP. Spinal breathing is, as far as I know, the "jewel in the crown" of Krya.

Yogani's view is that yoga practice should not start with pranayama. Meditation should always come first. This is explained in Lesson 43 (see final paragraph there). Based on my own experience of yoga (AYP and other methods), I would say that advice is absolutely spot on.

Good luck choosing your path!

Think you mean the other way around
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  06:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ak33
Sorry, mean what the other way round?
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  07:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sprechnd,

can you give more information about Carl? What was his path, what has he practiced and what was the outcome. Did he have a guru or not. Then compare with what he teaches. It will give you a clearer understanding what will happen to you if you practice his system.

Regarding that point within AYP, the online lessons also give some hints, but Yogani has written more detailedly about practice and its outcome in his books on the right side, like Deep Meditation, Spinal Breathing Pranayama, etc. Especially the book Secrets of Wilder gives a good scope.

As mentioned, there are lots of kriya yogas. Not only different variants coming from Lahiri Mahasaya, but also coming from other masters, lineages. According to Jaggi Vasudev, kriya yoga is a name for all those systems and techniques, that adress the subtle energies within the body and mind. According to him AYP would also be a kind of kriya yoga (=

To sum it up, the hint here is, look at the one teaching :) Then you will know if this is the path or not.

Peace and happy practice!
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  7:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sprechnd,

thanks for the link :) After reading his most significant experience in his life, you may surely learn something from him, but at some point it may not be enough.

Crown experiences are very nice, I love them aswell, but the whole process is much more complex and grand and involves the whole body-mind from a to z. Simple methods can adress the whole, a pranayama from head to heart will mainly do as much as it touches.

Reading all his links it feels very much like he has started at Yogananda and later learned from Hariharananda aswell. It is rare to read crown experiences like that from those who have not adressed it in the one or other effective way, like Hari's KYI.

All in all if you are in the starting phase, there is not much to worry. Practice one system you like and over time you will get to know if it satisfies you or not :)

Peace and happy practice!
Go to Top of Page

sprechnd

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2015 :  9:55:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I Am a whiny, procrastinating zilch. No more indecisiveness. I begin practicing tomorrow am.

Thanks all, you all are Love here. This is a wonderful site and a wonderful forum. Thanks Yogani, you are Love.

Happy practicing to all!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000