Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 more than one mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  12:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Many years ago a spiritual teacher shared with me the mantra TOHAM KUM RAH and said it was the sound at the beginning of all time or something like that. Anyway, my questions are 1. does it help or hurt ones spiritual growth by having more than one mantra and 2. has anyone ever heard of this mantra. Thanks Guy

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  3:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert.

When I learned TM back in the seventies, the mantra I was given back then was almost identical to the one Yogani told us to use, but not quite the same. So I wrote to Yogani and asked if I really needed to switch to the mantra he suggested and in short, he said that it would be best if I stuck with the I AM mantra he suggested in his lessons, that the vibrations from that particular mantra would best promote spiritual growth. I did switch over and in time, it became as natural to me as the first one had been...

I haven't heard of the mantra you mentioned, but there are many here more knowledgeable than myself...

In light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  10:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~

quote:
Originally posted by robertjames

the mantra TOHAM KUM RAH and said it was the sound at the beginning of all time or something like that. does it help or hurt ones spiritual growth by having more than one mantra

Hello RobertJames
I have not heard of this mantra, but by inspection it has several wonderful bija (seed) mantras in its construction. There are so many mantra's available - And again by inspection, looks of Buddist origin.

Does it 'help or hurt' to use more then one mantra? Most folks I talk to, or from my readings suggest 'only dig one well'. I do not believe its literally a help/hurt question, but one of efficasy and culturing the nervious system.

This is from an earlier post to Kathy/David/Snake

The wise say , only dig one well. What do they mean? stay with that one sound/vibration so it bears fruit.
Now, the "advancement in the technique" suggests the addition of more bija sounds to the anchor bija given, like a string of pearls. These sounds are complementry to the inital bija given and improve the quality and effects thereof. What sounds are complimentary? Here some study is of great value. We can review, but it gets a little complex and will leave to a future post, yet will not do w/o Yogani's concurrence.

That said, lets do a simple mantra that is uplifting (I think David said it was somewhat energizing for him, once he tried the mantra). We talked of RAM ( Raahmm) a few days ago. We can extend Ram, to add Sri Ram...then one can add Om Sri Ram Jay Ram ,or Om Ram Ramaya Namaha . I prefer the later. Why ? Fundamentally it has 8 syllables or astakshari and uses OM to start, as perscribed by the Upanishads.
Note that the lovely 'a' letter is ascribed to Krsna ( this is a good thing!). Note the number of a's in the mantra come out to 8. How'd I get 8? OM is considered 1st, like 'a', then count the remaining 7, and ya got 8! What's so special about 8? We can leave that to another time, if this group cares to pursue.
So, the 'buildout' of the mantra is done in stages, to allow the native to stablize the sound in the nervious system. This is all part of Mantra Shastra (or the science of sound vibrations).

Here's the FYI section
We have bantered some Mantra ideas around on the forum. If you care to take a look, I think it may help to round out the discussion, supplying varying points of view on mantras...but not specifically answer your question.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=408
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=743
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....&whichpage=2

OM Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya

Frank In San Diego

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on Jan 23 2006 10:59:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

mystiq

India
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2006 :  02:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit mystiq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Robert The mantra which u speak of TOHUM KUM RAH, seems to be a derivation of SO HAM HAM SA, The literal meaning of soham is I am That and Ham sa is That I am. Its supposed to be the sound of each breath entering and leaving the body. The Buddhist also use this mantra in different dialects like Huanso or Hansung or Ham sum etc The one that u speak of is new to me. I used soham, om etc but now I use I AM and have easily adjusted to it or switched over. Doesnt mean theres anything taboo in me using the old mantra, but I find I AM is more effective practically.

mystiq
Go to Top of Page

WhiteCrane38

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  12:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit WhiteCrane38's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Frank,
The mantra i use is one that i was allocated by my local TM centre, it is "Shring". Do you know anything about this mantra, its origins or meaning? Is it beneficial?
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  4:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

quote:
Originally posted by WhiteCrane38

Do you know anything about this mantra, its origins or meaning? Is it beneficial?

Hello Whitecrane,
It's difficult for me comment much on mantra's given by various organizations, but if you allow me some lee-way, I would comment on the root mantra that is similar. This mantra is Shrim. In this case the 'i' is pronounced long e. So, one practicing this would use Shreem as the sound. This mantra is a bija ( seed mantra) of Ram. Very auspicious and very beneficial to the sadhu (that would be you).

Here's the extra credit part of this post
ramante yogino-nante brahmaanande chidaatmani, is the declaration in the Padma-purana.
'The one in whose memory yogis revel in the bliss of brahman' - is the meaning of the word Rama. 'Ramante' (they revel, enjoy) is the action which forms the root verb for 'Rama'. Brahmarisi Vasishta hit upon this name (Rama) for the child of Dasaratha because he knew that it was already a 'taraka-mantra' that is, the mantra which takes you across the ocean of samsaara. So this Shreen and Rama have profound roots!

Rama as defined in the dictionary of Indian philosophy is from "Ram" " pleasing, to delight" - this is what is achieved by the meditator. Not only Ram's Seed mantra (bija) or Shreem is beneficial, so is the the name of Ram as a mantra beneficial.

Hope this helps. Thank you for letting me write an bit on it. It only brings good to the writer and the listener.

satyam rtam brhat

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

WhiteCrane38

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  12:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit WhiteCrane38's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Frank.
Go to Top of Page

enki74

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2014 :  2:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
TO Ham Kum Rah is mantra of Arica.org
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000