Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Eye tricks, drishti, and wormholes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  10:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
As a kid I liked to play eye tricks, soften my focus on the nun teaching my first grade class so she would melt into a black and white puddle. My dad had a VW Beetle and I remember laying in the 'way back' and staring at the dot pattern on the ceiling. After a while I could make the dots 'step forward' from two-to- three dimensions. Oils slicks in rain puddles became became microcosmic frontiers. Who hasn't gazed into their own eyes in the mirror until you face disintegrates into the periphery? Lying on the beach with eyes closed, I could spend hours lost in the lava flows on the back of my eyelids.

Needless to say, I eventually enrolled in art school and delved into abstract landscapes. Although I no longer produce art, I still find it in the every-day, in the late afternoon shadows on the sidewalk, in the ice cream clouds concealing the full moon, in the mica growing on granite boulders. After taking up Hatha yoga a decade ago, I rediscovered eye tricks when employing drishti, particularly in balance poses. I tend to seek out negative space, for instance, resting my gaze in the blackness beyond the heating vent in the studio or on the line where the top of the window butts up against the sky, imagining the vast expanse in that thin edge.

When in shivashina or deep meditation, alone with the witness behind my eyelids, I become drawn into the colorful vapors and particles that dance there. As ecstatic conductivity increases, I now see wormholes twirling in the mist, and activity deep, deep into the tiny twirling hole and I can't help but wonder if they are related to the shishumna. Regardless, I stay with the mantra, enjoy the scenery, and surrender to the process. It has occurred to me this micro/macro activity and viewpoint over the year has led me here, keeps me engaged, and guides me forward.

I have no questions, just sharing observations, and wonder if others gaze into the wormholes.

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  3:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's just scenery, you dumb a$$.
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  5:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I bet the people you love don't think that you "no longer produce art" or that your sentiments and perceptions are just so much "scenery".

Your sharing brings to mind a saint who said its God playing peek a boo with us and more and more gives us the feeling of our Ishta saying "Hello playmate, I am here".

You're a joy to be around dude!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1508 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  5:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It's just scenery, you dumb a$$.

Dogboy,

Your posts are adorable!!!

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

Ayiram

88 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  04:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy,

haven´t you noticed that you´re still producing art? Here you paint with words.

quote:
When in shivashina or deep meditation, alone with the witness behind my eyelids, I become drawn into the colorful vapors and particles that dance there. As ecstatic conductivity increases, I now see wormholes twirling in the mist, and activity deep, deep into the tiny twirling hole and I can't help but wonder if they are related to the shishumna.

...I believe they are. The purification of the nerve.

Something similar happened to me during the night´s sleep; first it felt like a worm-hole being created in the dark depths of my inner space and as it was coming closer to the surface it took a form of a huge colorful whirlpool, it picked me up, threw me high and as I was flying away, I exploded into a million colorful particles...and it kept repeating itself...and after some time I said to it:"Ok, this is fun. But is this who I am?" And it just disappeared... What a party-breaker I am, I know...

And I still play with the combination of water and light while watering my garden - seeing rainbows.

Thanks for the lovely thread.
Go to Top of Page

Ayiram

88 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  04:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ayiram's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Your sharing brings to mind a saint who said its God playing peek a boo with us and more and more gives us the feeling of our Ishta saying "Hello playmate, I am here".

ha, ha... so true BillinL.A.!!!! I love it!!!! Thank you for sharing this...you have a biiiig hug from me!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  10:33:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sunyata, you made me smile, hope you and your family are well.

Thank you Bill in LA and ayiram, yes, art happens in impermanent ways and days and it is our duty to be playful always!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1537 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  12:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  4:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've only recently realized the "scenic" wormhole is intended as a drishti when my eyes are closed. Seems so simple really, how did I miss that? Now in its presence I take it as a clue to surrender, and the moment thickens accordingly.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  5:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can relate 100%. I like how you describe your process. Catch you on the flip...side...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000