Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Thoughts on Mantra's Part 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  01:31:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~~
Hello folks,
Thought I would discuss mantras a bit more and kick 'round a few more ideas if I may. Some past ideas were disscussed in the following posts:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=408
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=562

Mantra (man- "manas or mind" and the suffix -tra meaning, tool, hence a literal translation would be "mind tool". )
Typically of two types;
a. Kanthika or those given expression by voice - some call japa or Kirtan and Bhajan's.
b. Ajapa - non voiced, and internal to the sadhu - used to transcend.

Part 1
Who gives you a mantra is of great import
Diksha guru
The Diksha guru is one God Realized being who can deliver initiation to the sisya (student). Diksha = "da" or to give + "ksi" or to destroy . Obviously , to destroy ignorance of not knowing SELF. The verb base is "diks" "to consecrate , coming from "daks" or to grow or increase.
Rtvic guru
This guru is subordinate to the Diksha guru. The person can initiate on behalf of the Diksha Guru ( kinda like a TM teacher).
Siksha guru
Siksha or "instruction" guru, teaches various categories of knowledge.
Maharshi's and a Brahmarishi fall into this class, as highly evolved Pundits and gurus.

Part 2
Taraka-mantra
That is, the mantra which takes you across the ocean of samsara.
The Sanskrit word taraka, denotes a star as it traverses in space and acts as a guiding light. A boat is called tari, as it allows one to cross over the waters. But what of the oceans of samsara? Samsara (sr= "to flow" + sam = "together") - what flows together? birth-after-birth.
So, a Taraka-mantra is one that gets you out of the wheel of birth after birth - or brings you to enlightenment.
One Mantra that we all know is Om ( also called Pranava) and is considered Taraka-mantra. Many posts are written on this, so I will hold off on any elaboration.

Another Taraka-mantra is Rama. This is of great interest...this mantra is wonderful and has deep roots!
Rama - as defined in the dictionary of Indian philosophy is from "Ram" " pleasing, to delight", yet it goes deeper.
From the Padma-purana, it says " ramante yogino-nante brahmaanande chidaatmani " or ' The one in whose memory yogis revel in the bliss of brahman'. Its the mantra that brings bliss. As bija, we know it as Ram or Rama.

The Great rishi Valmilki, at the time named Ratnakar, was fortunate to receive this mantra... yet he said, I cannot pronounce this Rama, please give me something different. So , the sages gave him the mantra Mara - note this is Rama backwards MA-RA. So, as the story goes, he gets absorbed in Samadhi, stays in one spot for a long time and ants build hill around him...being totally absorbed in bliss, what does he care ((())).
When the sages return, they ask him to come out - He comes out fully enlightened (jivanmukti) and they give him his new name Valmilki from 'Valmika' meaning an ant-hill. Valmilki goes on to be the great author of the Ramayana. So, this name forward or backward is auspicious. A wonderful Mantra of Om Ram Ramaya Namaha - Note that it is based in several taraka mantras Om, Ram then Ram backwards MA and NA from Narayana . just a most exquisite Pra-siddha mantra.

Part 3 Extra Credit Area - for those of Tantric order
Its of great interest and delight to me that Tara ( from "tr" or to cross), a Tantric shakti Goddess is associated with Omkara, as her bija sound is Pranava too - Aum.

Om shaantih shaantih shaantih

Frank In San Diego

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on Jan 19 2006 9:25:30 PM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2006 :  11:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Frank.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000