New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  3:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari OM
~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by mystiq

Thanx for all the information. After listening to Deepak Chopra I thought I was missing a lot in life for not doing the TM porgram. Then I found AYP and Im very happy. mystiq

Hello mystiq,
This is a blessing - happiness is a wonderful thing these days, yes?

ONe very wise person said, "the universe rejoices when one finds thier way"...
A key compass-indicator of finding ones way is the experience of happiness.

AYAM ATMA BRAHMA
This Self is Brahman (Mandukya Upanishad of the Atharva Veda)

Peace,

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2005 :  4:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
mystiq said:
Thanx for all the information. After listening to Deepak Chopra I thought I was missing a lot in life for not doing the TM porgram. Then I found AYP and Im very happy.

Mystiq,

to make you happier still, AYP includes all of the TM techniques and more supporting Kriyas which the TM-ers do not teach.

What TM teaches as the 'basic technique' is the 'Deep meditation' of AYP. The TM 'Advanced technique' is taught here as the mantra-modifications. The 'TM-Siddhis' are nothing more than the Samyamas. Not one of these techniques was invented by the Maharishi, and all of them are simply part of the indigenous Yoga knowledge in India ( though Maharishi did very wrongly claim (through his organization) to be the only one to have the authority to teach them)!!

Edited by - david_obsidian on Dec 22 2005 7:25:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2005 :  9:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~

quote:
Originally posted by david_obsidian

[b] The TM 'Advanced technique' is taught here as the mantra-modifications.

Hello David ( et.al) -
One point worth noting ( and not of contention ) is the notion of Advanced Technique; I pass on the naming convention of many that call it the advancement in the technique. Nothing to do with TM, but lots to do with technique!

As one "advances" the mantra changes..to be more specific, it is added to. So , perhaps a bija mantra is used first ( this influences the first house of ones chart), then additional sound-vibrations are added to it, once the bija mantra is stable and bearing fruit.

Many a meditator is lost on the way-side when their eagerness or perhaps even the unknowledgeable instructor gives an unsuitable mantra. What could be unsuitable ? Its length or meter or even the sound that is unsuitible for the person's profession. This info is part of Mantra-shastra.

Some folks my be fortunate to receive a "tailored" sound from a full-fledged skilled guru that walks the talk i.e. God-realized, (not your K-mart variety ) - this is then called Gurupadesatoh mantam.

At some point , when there is an appetite from AYP and Yogani, we can look at the DNA of the sound/phonemes/akshara of mantra design e.g. their source ( Mantroddhara), repetitions ( Purascharna), delivery of the mantra ( Samshkara), etc. Perhaps with Yogani's guidance.

Let me leave with one of my favorites - the Dwadasakhari Mantra ( Or twelve syllable - influencing ones 12th house - a Moksha house).
OM Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya

Happy Holidays/Merry-Joyful Christmas to all.

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  11:37:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I found the tm mantra Shama very relaxing whereas Iam seems to energise more,would that be so because of it's frequency compared to Shama.
also this thing about the TM mantra changing according to age and sex,so if someone at 20 uses the 20 year age mantra then when he/she is 60 you would expect them use a different one?
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  2:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Snake,

I started TM in the 70's. If I understand correctly, you're assigned the mantra based upon your gender/year of birth at the time of initiation. For several years, I visited the local TM centers of the cities I lived in, went through the 'checking' process, etc. and was never given a new mantra. What a peaceful, blissful experience it was, to meditate with a group in the centers....

So to answer your question, I think the person at 60 would still be meditating with the same mantra they were initiated with. Perhaps someone who has attended the siddhi classes knows differently though--perhaps the mantras change as you progress through the advanced classes--that I don't know!

I agree with all here that the transcendental meditation is almost identical with the AYP meditation practise. But, we were told to meditate sitting in a chair for TM, rather than cross-legged, but I always meditated cross-legged anyway. Felt right.

What a wonderful discussion this thread has been. I'm going to try to find the books that Frank mentioned--am so grateful he shares his knowledge in the forum.

It does sadden me to see the arguing and negative events in the current TM organization. But I always felt that Marharishi's original intent was pure of heart and noble in goal---to aid in our common evolution. Somewhere it seems they've lost their way. And I'm so grateful to have found AYP. It was through these teachings that I've been able to learn about pranayama and samyama.....

In light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  3:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thankyou for sharing Kathy,I agree with you about Marharishi.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  11:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kathy,

I don't quite agree that the organization deserves the description 'pure of heart and noble in goal', at least, not more than any old, typically mixed human organization does.

Note that having 'good intentions' or wonderful world plans is no indicator of purity. Hitler wanted no more than World Peace, though under the Third Reich, and as he saw it, it was nothing more than Natural Law which gave the Third Reich the authority to rule the world. As they say, 'The road to hell is paved with good intentions'.

(I am not saying Maharishi was a 'Hitler' -- this is just an illustration, but I do believe he shared unbridled narcissism with Hitler, though he was definitely higher in morality.
A note to forum aficionados: this looks on first glance like the infamous 'reductio ad Hitlerum' but it is not, since I am not making out that a person I am discussing with has views which lead to Hitler's....)

This may come across as unpleasant, but I believe in calling a spade a spade --- I believe the organization fell mainly because of deep narcissistic flaws in it's founder, Maharishi. The Maharishi tried to build himself up to be something much greater than he was. As Jesus said, (my translation) 'He who tries to put himself first will be last'.

Regards,

-David

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jan 09 2006 2:11:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  12:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Kathy,
I also was taught to meditate sitting in a chair while prctising TM and I still do it this way and have no problems with it.I know some who lie down to meditate but I never felt comfortable with this.
'It does sadden me to see the arguing and negative events in the current TM organization. But I always felt that Marharishi's original intent was pure of heart and noble in goal---to aid in our common evolution. Somewhere it seems they've lost their way.'
I'm afraid he got some stick when 'The Beatles' were with him but it seems it was justified at the time.No matter what good intentions people start with there will always be somebody who for whatever reason decides that they weren't so pure after all.You will always have the 'knockers' but don't forget the good he did by raising the awareness of spirituality in the west probably more than anybody else has.
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  1:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dave said:
No matter what good intentions people start with there will always be somebody who for whatever reason decides that they weren't so pure after all.

There will also always be somebody who puts halos around certain people and will resent the criticism the behaloed get regardless of how much it is deserved.

The rules are simple: don't criticise the guy on the pedestal.
And if someone criticises the guy on the pedestal, criticise him, but preferably by insinuation only, since it's easier to hide behind insinuation....

Groups like Maharishi's are severely damaged because there are people unwilling to criticise the guy on the pedestal.

The danger signs in Maharishi's organization were there from the beginning, for those who could spot them. It was not at all a case of original purity turning sour. The lies were poured out at an early stage, always a bad sign that.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jan 09 2006 1:29:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  01:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beloved David Obsidian,

I didn’t say that the TM organization was 'pure of heart and noble in goal'. I did say that I thought that was where Maharishi Mahesh Yogi’s initial intent lay. But I don’t know him or his mind. From the beauty and grace of what I learned through TM in the early days, I felt it was so.

I don’t know why their organization fell, because I’m not a part of it. Perhaps you have an insight I don’t have.

Perhaps you are right that Jesus said ‘who puts himself first shall be last.’ I’m not a Christian but as a Rosicrucian, I think there is much to learn from the Bible as there is much to learn from all. Many Rosicrucians feel that the master is within, which is one of the things that drew me to Yogani’s teachings….the guru is in you. One verse I do love is how we are asked to live….to act justly, love mercy and walk humbly….

I’m done with this. Blessings to you.

In light and in love,

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  10:17:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nagoyasea said:
I didn’t say that the TM organization was 'pure of heart and noble in goal'.

Pardon me my lady! Indeed you did not say that!

Well, ummmm, let's now consider my response to be to an imaginary poster who did!

Yes, I do know more about the TM organization than most, having had a friend or two who was closely involved, even as a teacher, who has been deprived of a livelihood due to the dysfunctionality of the TM organization.

Blessings,

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Jan 10 2006 12:03:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2006 :  12:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hari Om Tat Sat
~~~~~~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by NagoyaSea

So to answer your question, I think the person at 60 would still be meditating with the same mantra they were initiated with.

Hello Kathy/David/Snake (et.al)
Interesting this post still has legs!

Kathy, your post is of interest. Its good to know that if a person started with an inital bija mantra at X years, and at 60 years of age s/he is still using it , that is a blessing!
The wise say , only dig one well. What do they mean? stay with that one sound/vibration so it bears fruit.

Now, the "advancement in the technique" suggests the addition of more bija sounds to the anchor bija given, like a string of pearls. These sounds are complementry to the inital bija given and improve the quality and effects thereof. What sounds are complimentary? Here some study is of great value. We can review, but it gets a little complex and will leave to a future post, yet will not do w/o Yogani's concurrence.
That said, lets do a simple mantra that is uplifting (I think David said it was somewhat energizing for him, once he tried the mantra). We talked of RAM ( Raahmm) a few days ago. We can extend Ram, to add Sri Ram...then one can add Om Sri Ram Jay Ram ,or Om Ram Ramaya Namaha . I prefer the later. Why ? Fundamentally it has 8 sylables or astakshari and uses OM to start, as perscribed by the Upanishads.
Note that the lovely 'a' letter is ascribed to Krsna ( this is a good thing!). Note the number of a's in the mantra come out to 8. How'd I get 8? OM is considered 1st, like 'a', then count the remaining 7, and ya got 8! What's so special about 8? We can leave that to another time, if this group cares to pursue.
So, the 'buildout' of the mantra is done in stages, to allow the native to stablize the sound in the nervious system. This is all part of Mantra Shastra (or the science of sound vibrations).

Last point - again, not a point of contention, but one of clarification. TM mantras were mentioned in several posts throughout AYP. Our TM friends use bija sounds, and these sounds are part of the Veda. They like most use these time tested sounds from the sages that cognized these vibrations. They are not owned by the TM org, nor are the 'owned' by anyone on this planet. IF someone cares to patient or copyright these sounds, its , well I can't even think of a work that equals mega-preposterous! These sounds are Svarupa-niripaka-dharma. That is, eternal qualities that are forever here, even when all 'this' goes away, these sounds come back with each creation.
Thank you for the opportunity to write about this... let me leave you with a favorite, the Surya Graha Mantra,as surya heads north starting late tomorrow night. Om Hram Hrim Hroum Sah Suryaya Namaha

Peace,

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  02:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou for sharing that Frank,most interesting.

Just for the record the Shama mantra I mentioned earlier you did'nt really comment on that one and also what's your take on how TM changes some of it's mantras over time as in some years at certain age they gave Shiama then from last few years now Shama?
thanks again
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2006 :  2:09:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~

quote:
Originally posted by snake

what's your take on how TM changes some of it's mantras over time as in some years at certain age they gave Shiama then from last few years now Shama?

Hello Chris,
Thanks for the note... I can't comment much on how our TM friends choose to change their mantras. I would believe its more administrative then anything that could be directed to Mantra Shastra.

Peace,

Frank In San Diego
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2006 :  8:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm discovering youtube.com these days. Go to youtube and search for david lynch transcendental meditation... there's about 30+ minutes of him going on and on about the benefits of mantra meditation. Inspiring. One quote I very much liked: "the more you suffer the less you can do."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000