New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  7:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hari Om
~~~~~~~
quote:
Originally posted by David_obsidian

Maharishi's guru was an orthodox believer in caste. Maharishi is not a Brahmin -- and in the Shankaracharya's view, he therefore should not be a spiritual teacher, end of story.

Hello all, and thx for responding. perhaps at a later date we can tackle the 'caste' conversation. Much of my reading and study clearly points to how a person acts vs. to whom he was born that determines the quality of the individual. This is the wisdom of Bishma in the Mahabharata and is found throughtout some other literature. For myself, its all around your actions and behaviours then your DNA.

It's interesting to note that in Sat Yuga ( or the golden age of Truth) there was no caste system at all... most if not all followed the path of Dharma and did not have to be advised on what their duty in life was to be. As time marched on, the caste system creeped in.

Let me end - I support all those on this planet that is here help us evolve and realize our full potential... I support all those that chose to be peaceful and to uplift the family of man to enlightened state. I care not what size,shape color, or race.
It is so so small thinking for us [the human race] as representatives of the divine to parse out people as if they where different types of shoes in ones closet!

Peace,

Frank In San Diego

Edited by - Frank-in-SanDiego on Feb 02 2006 7:28:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  4:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find the Iam mantra stimulating (almost irritating)in the sense of I feel very awake and also the so called cricket sound of nada gets loud.
In contrast when i try for comparison Shama it is very soothing lulling me to sleep almost.

When I feel stressed I would prefer to use Shama to relax but what do you think I should do in this case
thanks
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  6:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a good question Snake.

By the way, it's the 'eeee' sound in the 'I' of 'IAM' which stimulates that 'cricket sound', isn't it?

I think the classical AYP approach is not to fuss about getting more relaxed. My expectation is that Yogani would suggest to you to stick with IAM.

You could consider taking on the mantra modification, namah to the end of your 'IAM'? As in 'IAM namah'. You'd find that this softens your mantra. ( That's not exactly the AYP way though -- Yogani goes straight for two enhancements 'Shree Shree IAM IAM' and later 'Shree OM Shree OM IAM IAM NAMAH' which you should also consider doing. See http://www.aypsite.org/188.html )

quote:
Originally posted by snake

I find the Iam mantra stimulating (almost irritating)in the sense of I feel very awake and also the so called cricket sound of nada gets loud.
In contrast when i try for comparison Shama it is very soothing lulling me to sleep almost.

When I feel stressed I would prefer to use Shama to relax but what do you think I should do in this case
thanks

Edited by - david_obsidian on Feb 08 2006 09:33:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
276 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  01:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thankyou David
Go to Top of Page

blackmuladar

USA
17 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  3:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit blackmuladar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

quote:
Originally posted by rabar

I have been concentrating on "pronouncing" (silently) I AM
with the true 'flat' A. When I focus on the actual pronunciation
of the 'A,' the mantra seems to merge with another ongoing sound
that I describe as around the notes 'g' and 'a' three octaves above
middle 'C'. Technically known as 'tinnitus,' this sound increases
for me during meditation. Someone recently mentioned that in his practice it increases during the headstand. I also remember back in 'head stand' days that was true for me as well. But thinking the 'AM' with the correct 'A' - if sounded aloud you have to smile to say it - is quite interesting.

Hi Rabar:

While all of these experiments sound interesting, I hope you are not doing them during your regular deep meditation sessions. It is so much simpler than that. In fact, the success of the practice depends on maintaining the simplicity of the procedure. Correct practice involves no analysis whatsoever, and no concentration. We are just easily picking up the mantra when we realize we are off with our attention into anything else. Anything else. And the pronunciation is as simple as how they say "I AM" on the English-speaking evening news. Spell it "AYAM" if you like -- this removes the meaning, which is not part of deep meditation. There is wiggle room on pronunciation, as has been discussed in detail in this topic: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=529

It is not necessary to peg the pronunciation or frequency of the sound, or anything like that. It is going to be changing during deep meditation anyway, according to purification going on in the nervous system. We let it change however it will. We just begin, and then follow the procedure for coming back to the mantra at whatever level we find ourselves inside when we realize we are not on it. That is all there is to it ... all the rest we are inclined to put into the process is baggage that will only hamper our natural merging with pure bliss consciousness -- our inner silence.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

hi, Yogani & Rabar

i have been noticing some changes happening in the mantra. i may start the mantra as "ayam" both a-sounds pronounced like in f(a)ther. then it changes to "ay-(a)m" the second a-sound is pronouced like in (a)pple. then the second part of "ay-am" changes to "ay-hum". what is this about? these changes have made me confused about pronounciation.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000