New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

roberto128

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  2:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit roberto128's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All:
For the last month or so i have gone onto the shree shree i am i am mantra. The last 3 days the mantra has evolved into shree shree om om or aum aum, at that point i am whisked away until the end of my alotted time in meditation. Very, very, nice.Allow this to evolve? Or go back to the prescribed mantra, is my question.
Thanks
Hari Om
Rob

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2005 :  11:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great question Roberto, I can only share a similar experience and an opinion or two gathered from Yogani and the AYP lessons that may help.

I had a similar experience a couple months back with the same mantra "shree shree I am I amm". At the time, I had been using it for probably 4 or 5 months back then and during one meditation, it turned very emphatically into something else which contained "om" as well. Not knowing what to do, I went with it for a few days and could feel it was very potent but unfortunately ended up with a resounding headache and energy over-dose.

I am not suggesting that the above will happen to you, but there is probably a lot of value following the practices as Yogani has drawn them out. As he has mentioned throughout his writings and in some answers to a couple of questions on the topic I asked him about a while back, the mantras in AYP are balanced to stimulate the spinal nerve in a particular way. It is a way which will provide a safe and effective way for the nervous system to unfold. Without using the “I am I am” you will be missing stimulation from the top of the spinal nerve to the bottom and in particular in the heart area.

I have always found om to be very attractive and to have quite an impact on me at a very deep level. It is certainly very potent in the energy department and can release things faster than is comfortable if we are not ready. This may not be the case for you and the change it took might be something that works for the time being for you, but you may want to use the above ideas as food for thought.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  12:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Roberto - I'm also glad that you asked this question, as I've been wondering about the pronunciation. I upgraded to the same mantra about a month ago, and as I'm meditating, it invariably slides into "shree shree ayOM ayOM". I find the "ayAM" to be a bit choppy, even irritating after whle, while the "ayOM" seems to fall into place with less effort. I'm going with it! Unless Yogani suggests otherwise. I figure that if I was British, there wouldn't be a problem, as theirs would be a slightly different pronunciation. The mantra enhancement is awesome - seem to slice a lot deeper than the other.

meg
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  1:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Meg,
I am British and it actually shouldnt make a difference because we all should be trying to pronounce the mantras in the correct sanskrit way to get the effects that were meant to be.Mantras work by the specific vibration and this is why if it was translated into English the effects would be nil.Regarding Om (Omkar), this is the specific bija(seed) mantra for the third eye which could be why some get headache from it.LOL.When we meditate the chakras get an equal enhancement and things remain in balance.By using the mantras not intended then we can easily get things out of balance due to over activation of certain chakras.To prepare for safe awakening and rise of kundalini we need purity of the energy system and balance which normally is not present for ones who get a spontaneous awakening and so they get problems.Yogani specifys spinal breathing in the manner he teaches specifically so not to stimulate areas that are not ready for the effects.This also holds true for mantras.When I gave my students the bija akshars (seed mantras for each chakra) I specifically told them to include all chakras in each session and not to concentrate on specific chakras.I gave this warning as we know some egos would be trying to work on awakening the siddhis and miss the point of the practice.This is my understanding of the way.
L&L
dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  1:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Glad to hear some are finding the mantra enhancements to be effective for broadening the swath of the purification process going in and coming out through the mind and nervous system in deep meditation. That is just what the enhancements are for.

Keep in mind that the measure of our meditation is not in our subjective experience while doing it. That can be anything, from the sublime to the ridiculous, according to the purification that is occurring at any point in time. If we are observing the easy procedure of meditation, it will be right and the results will be there. The true measure of meditation is in how we feel afterward in daily activity.

Anthem is right in mentioning the potential hazards of using the mono-pole OM syllable alone in deep meditation. While it may feel great for a while, it will more than likely lead to some imbalance somewhere along the line. OM is the natural vibration of our nervous system when awakened to ecstatic conductivity and radiance. Then OM emanates naturally from the medulla oblongata (brain stem) and reverberates throughout the nervous system, and beyond. But OM is not the ideal vehicle to use alone in deep meditation to achieve that awakening. We are all attracted to it, and would like to see OM in there at some point, and that is what we do down the road in the second enhancement of the mantra -- incorporate OM in a balanced dual-pole way once we reach an adequate level of purification in our nervous system.

Modifying our mantra based on how it "feels" during meditation is not a sound approach. This week it will feel great. Next week it will not feel so great. Then what will we do? Change it again? That's not a practical formula for achieving effective long term results. It is like following the ever-changing scenery instead of the road. Where will we end up? Who knows?

Much better to stick with our mantra and regard all the ups and downs equally -- using thought streams as signals to easily come back to the mantra. It takes many months for a mantra to settle in. Deep meditation is a marathon based on steady practice, not a sprint based on the local scenery -- sort of a tortoise and hare thing, you know.

On pronunciation, "I AM" is like the English. Or "AYAM," if you'd like to drop the English spelling -- same pronunciation. The quality of the mantra is not determined by how it feels at its gross level of pronunciation in the mind. In fact, pronunciation will rarely be clear as we go deep during our meditation. At the deepest levels in the mind, there will be no discernable pronunciation at all -- just a faint impulse. A vague vibration deep inside us, even as we open to the vastness of pure bliss conscousness within. So, no one is asking you to be hollering "AYAM!" in the depths of your being. The mantra is a vehicle that dissolves into the pure bliss consciousness that is the essential fabric within us. The mantra vehicle is designed to resonate throughout a particular subtle neurological range within our nervous system (the sushumna), thus purifying it. That is true of the enhancements as well, as discussed in lesson #188, which goes into the design principles of the AYP mantras: http://www.aypsite.org/188.html

For the reasons given in the lesson, it is suggested that changes in mantra be based on sound principles and good self-pacing, rather than on the subjective experiences of the day. You will know you are on the right track with your practice if you feel more steadiness and joy in daily activity, no matter what the subjective experience in meditation may be.

Some other lessons on mantra and enhancements are:

First instructions on deep meditation - http://www.aypsite.org/13.html
On OM and the dual pole principle - http://www.aypsite.org/59.html
On changes in mantra during meditation - http://www.aypsite.org/79.html
On mantra mixed with thoughts - http://www.aypsite.org/195.html
On first enhancement of mantra - http://www.aypsite.org/116.html
On second enhancement of mantra - http://www.aypsite.org/186.html

There is a third enhancement of the mantra in the AYP Book.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  1:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

This is in response to Meg's question, not Roberto's, which has been answered above by Yogani.

Roberto is taking the AYAM mantra to OM.
Meg is taking the AYAM mantra towards AYOM;

Meg, you may indeed be taking the AYAM mantra closer to where it should be, though definitely taking it too far if it is turning into an OM which rhymes with HOME.

The problem is that there is a very significant difference in pronunciation between the british 'am' and the American one. The british one is much closer to the intended sanskrit sound.

BTW I have seen German speakers spell 'am', intending to give a sense of the pronunciation in American English, putting two dots over the 'a'. Even that isn't quite it, since the American 'am' is also quite nasal. Believe it or not, the American 'a' in 'am' is really quite a bit closer to a phonetic 'e' than an 'a' (though that sounds odd to an American English speaker, who is very influenced by the notion of the spelling).

So if you speak like an American (god help us ), (and I suppose this depends on where you are from in the US) 'I am' may be like 'I em'.

The 'A' of AYAM is more like the soothing 'aaah' one might say to an infant.

I really think the most common American 'am' is close to being unsuitable for this mantra, at least when they get more 'advanced' in the meditation. So Americans may benefit from forgetting the American English 'I am' entirely and figuring out the proper pronunciation of 'AYAM' and working with that.

-David

quote:
Originally posted by meg

Roberto - I'm also glad that you asked this question, as I've been wondering about the pronunciation. I upgraded to the same mantra about a month ago, and as I'm meditating, it invariably slides into "shree shree ayOM ayOM". I find the "ayAM" to be a bit choppy, even irritating after whle, while the "ayOM" seems to fall into place with less effort. I'm going with it! Unless Yogani suggests otherwise. I figure that if I was British, there wouldn't be a problem, as theirs would be a slightly different pronunciation. The mantra enhancement is awesome - seem to slice a lot deeper than the other.

meg

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  2:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
David & Meg:

Yes, ahhh versus ehhh is okay, though the original is as in Sam, ham, bam, ram, etc. Then the OM syllable opens it up much further with the second enhancement. As mentioned, OM is not the best place to start.

On ayOM, you may be jumping the gun on that one for reasons mentioned above, Meg. It is up to you. Do let us know how it goes.

Actually, the same goes for Rob with the inclusion of OM instead of I AM after SHREE in the first enhancement.

This is the OM freelancer topic!

Better to follow the prescription for all the reasons mentioned.

The guru is in you.

REVISED WITH CLARIFICATIONS
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  3:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of your advice and clarifications. David is right - I am pronouncing AM not like HAM, nor like HOME, but as HEM. (actually, more like the A in HAT). It's all new to me and I don't have any habits in place, so I'll experiment with it a little. I haven't experienced any adverse effects - quite the opposite.

"The 'A' of AYAM is more like the soothing 'aaah' one might say to an infant."

That's exactly right. It feels better. But I promise not to let that sway me. When I'm moving into an inner space, the HAM pronunciation is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

m
Go to Top of Page

roberto128

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  4:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit roberto128's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:
And thank you for the information. It is definitely not me taking liberties with the mantra and going intentionally to Om or Aum. It is evolving there on it's own. I start with the shree shree i am i am and then let the reverbration happen on it's own and shortly i am into deep silence but the i am has changed on it's own to the longer ah-u-om when i remember. So from everything i have gatehered ( and again thanks to all)i should consciously go back to the i am vibration/sound.

Rob
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  5:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Rob wrote: So from everything i have gathered (and again thanks to all) i should consciously go back to the i am vibration/sound.

Yes, right, Rob. That is normal meditation. Other mantras that may come up are to be treated like any other thought in meditation, and we just ease back to the mantra we have been using.

If we are deep, and the mantra is faint, we do not have to come back to a clear pronunciation of the mantra. If I AM (or whatever enhanced version we are using) becomes very faint and then we realize we are off into something else that is also faint, then we can easily come back to the faint version of our mantra, like that. If we come out into a clear (surface level) thought stream, then we can pick up the mantra clearly at that level and let it refine again. In other words, whatever level we are at in the mind when we realize we are off the mantra, that is the level where we can pick up the mantra again. In this way we take maximum advantage of the mind's natural ability to go to stillness.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

roberto128

USA
17 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2005 :  5:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit roberto128's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, got it now. Favor the discipline we are currently involved in. The first mantra enhancement is some winner though.
Thank you all.

Rob
Go to Top of Page

Lili

Netherlands
372 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  06:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a suggestion for the more advanced in the forum:

Why doesn't someone who is sure they can pronounce the mantra(s) correctly record an MP3 and post it on the forum so that people can download the correct pronounciation?

Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  09:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

That's a very good idea. Thing is though, there are probably mantra MP3s out there for free on the net already. If some GoogleMeister does not beat me too it, I'll have a good look when I get the chance.

-D

quote:
Originally posted by Lili

Just a suggestion for the more advanced in the forum:

Why doesn't someone who is sure they can pronounce the mantra(s) correctly record an MP3 and post it on the forum so that people can download the correct pronounciation?

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  12:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

I have some reservations about trying to peg the pronunciation of the mantra exactly. It is fine to offer some suggestions, written or oral, but you should keep in mind that the mantra is yours and best kept internal to your process of deep meditation. This is part of why traditional mantra initiations are often kept secret. The personal internal aspect of it is pretty important. Otherwise, we can be digging things up too much.

Consider this: There have been cases where secret mantras have been compared between people after many years of successful practice, only to find that the pronunciations of the very same mantra have been different. And, in fact, different oral traditons do use different pronounciations. So then you get into the argument on who is right. Endless nonsense! The one who is right is the one who is meditating and not arguing.

The mantra is a vibrational frequency in thought that we use to go beyond thought. Whether we start a few hertz this way or that way is not going to make a difference. We want to be comfortable with the process of using our mantra. That is most important, and it takes some time to settle in with that. Spending a lot of time and effort trying to peg the frequency exactly can become a distraction that can undermine our confidence and our process of meditation. There is no such thing as an exactly right mantra pronunciation. There are many degrees, and that is okay. If your meditation is bringing good results in daily activity, then continue without unnecessary second-guessing. If it is bringing some roughness in activity, it will very unlikely be the mantra. 99.9% of the time it will be straining or overdoing in some way. So the best place to put our attention is on keeping the innocence of the deep meditation process, and on self-pacing of our practices as necessary. Taking it easy is the key. Less fuss will bring better results. We have all experienced that, yes?

As mentioned, some temporary roughness or other experiences within our meditation itself will not be mantra pronunciation related either. Experiences in meditation are due to our cycles of purification. From the lessons we know the procedures for dealing with that.

So carry on with your practice, and enjoy!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  10:15:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I suppose it's like everything else in yoga, there's no doubt that we could go too far in trying to refine mantra pronunciation, and we can also not go far enough.

I think I've usefully pointed out a peculiarity of American pronunciation, that's worth taking into the radar for Americans, at least in some regions; if they say 'I am' they may well be saying

AYËM

and I am using the dots to indicate that they are pronouncing the vowel in a nasal fashion. If they do pronounce it that way, it's sufficiently far from AYAM to be worth looking at. I think Meg's and maybe Mellissa's experience bears that out. That Ë sound may be what feels like chalk on a blackboard for Meg. It's really quite far from the soothing 'aaaah' sound. ( In fact, to explore that Ë sound a little further, there is a colloquial expression, in the US at least, where a sound quite like that [ËËËËËË!] is used to indicate that a wrong answer has been given, or some one has made a mistake, or is being dumb or annoying! This colloquial expression is influenced by the WRONG-ANSWER buzzer in quiz-shows!! But of course, the WRONG-ANSWER buzzer is influenced by what seems natural to our nervous systems. I think there is evidence that it's chalk-on-blackboard quality is fairly native to the human nervous system! )

I mentioned this some time ago on the forum, btw, but hey, who listens to me? [ËËËËËË!]

quote:

By the way, I would recomment that you say the 'IAM' with a British 'am', not an American one. We are aiming for an 'a' in the 'am' which is like the 'aaaaaah' you might say if you moan in relief or pleasure, or to sooth an infant or child; a nice, heart-soothing 'aaaaah'. In most places in the US anyway (I don't know about all) the 'a' in 'I am' is quite a different sound to this 'aaaah' of which I speak. The 'a' in the British 'I am' is much closer.

Regards to all,

-D

Edited by - david_obsidian on Oct 20 2005 12:28:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  12:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, David. Your sharings are always valuable insights.

One thing I would like to avoid is: "This is IT and you are damned if you are doing anything else."

I know you are not thinking like that, and the pronunciation suggestions are much welcome.

At the same time, we'd like to avoid absolutes in implementation, allowing everyone to find their own comfort level with their personal practice. That is essential. If we are each applying the underlying principles on the basis of cause and effect, we will be doing just right. That is the scientific approach.

Being an "open source," AYP is different from the established traditions. We do not want to create another one of those! Instead, we would like to help everyone find their way into the "ball park" of effective yoga practices. From there, it is a matter of each practitioner developing self-sufficiency. That is the key to traveling this, or any, road to enlightenment. Hopefully, AYP provides everyone enough solid information and "wiggle room" to do just that. Each person can use the teachings as they like, and not be condemned for being creative, or simply going with what resonates. As mentioned in the past, I do not consider AYP to be the last word on yoga, and I hope others will carry this exciting field of applied yoga science forward into the future. The AYP writings are intended to be a point of reference to aid in the ongoing process of self-discovery, which is the process of human spiritual transformation.

The real goal here is to develop a sound, flexible open source methodology that will stimulate the evolution and horizontal (person to person) transmission of practical yogic knowledge indefinitely. There is room for many points of view along the way to unfolding the truth within us.

So keep on sharing, everyone, and all the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  12:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"I mentioned this some time ago on the forum, btw, but hey, who listens to me?"

I do! Where do you think I got the idea in the first place??!!

EEEEHHHHHHH!

m
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2005 :  1:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani makes some valid points with pronouncing mantras.My guru speaks excellent English and tells me that her sanskrit is more correct in pronounciation than our satguru's but do you think is makes her practice more effective than his? Of course not.To quote her 'The problems encountering pronunciation can be avoided when one chants within silently to the best of ones ability.'
I think another point that yogani was making that maybe could have been missed (or I maybe read it incorrect)is that the mantra are normally learnt and then only used silently within and not audibly.Many years ago when I studied TM I was told this was because the mantra sinks into our consciousness and has greater effect. To repeat it audibly brings it back to the surface and may need to settle again to give maximum effect.I find chanting silently with sincerity is all that is needed and as Yogani says no way is the right way as many different guru's ways make this obvious.
L&L
dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

farooq

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  8:38:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit farooq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,

I'm another one of those taobums.

Actually i first came across AYP from another forum when i was doing some research for a course i was taking called 'Fire Serpent Tantra'

I realized at that time that Yogani really had developed something really special. Just the tagline alone: 'the Guru is in you' is priceless

Yogani, your communication skills are awesome. Traditional Yoga teachings can be very esoteric and dogmatic, but your synthesis of it is so refreshing and clear for western minded folks.

Writing 'The secrets of Wilder' is a masterstroke in my opinion, In such an elegant way you bind all of the AYP stuff so the reader can realize what potential we all have.

I wanted to discuss the IAM mantra but perhaps i should first say a bit about who I am

I was born in Canada, from parents who were from Pakistan/india. My Religion is Islam, and it is a wonderful source of spirtitual guidance, but i also wanted to develop my physical and mental capabilites as well as how to get a deeper connection with Allah.

Along my way i came across neat practices by Mantak Chia, and his student Michael Winn. So I did get deeper, and sure enough i wound up awakening the Kundalini In hindsight if i had known about Sufism, that perhaps would have been better, but I was young and inexperienced and was just going with what came in front of me.

Well to make an already long story longer, i did get some help,(The FST course and its author) and now i desire to go even deeper

The iam mantra really resonates with me, but as a muslim, my heart is telling me to substitute it for.... al la (In Arabic, Allah means The One).

Yogani, I know that the i am meditation is the core practice of AYP, so your thoughts on me using al la would be most appreciated.
Of course I also welcome anyone elses feedback.

Thank you

peace and smiles
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  12:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Farooq, and welcome!

Of course, I cannot confirm every sound that new meditators may wish to consider trying for mantra. There are sacred names in all the traditions that may or may not make suitable mantras. It is the sound vibration, not the meaning, that matters when we go deep into the nervous system. The underlying principles are reviewed in the AYP lessons -- see my first October 18th post in this topic for links to some lessons on this.

Of particular importance is the pairing of linear and circular components in the mantra that will enliven and open the spinal nerve in a balanced way. This is the nature of the I AM mantra, as well as the enhancements which come later. This theme of cultivating and balancing our inner polarities runs through all of the other AYP practices, as well.

I certainly do not disparage you your urge to honor your traditional roots in Islam. Cultivating inner silence in your nervous system through deep meditation will definitely aid in this. This is the magic of inner silence. It enlivens our perception of the truth in all the religions, especially our own. But engaging in deep meditation on syllables that are dear to us in meaning is not always the most efficient way to do this. If we do so, we will be engaging in our own research, and that is not something that can be measured in a few days or weeks, and definitely not known subjectively within meditation itself. Our experience in daily activity over time is the truest measure of the success of our practice. Also, keep in mind that when we begin to consider mantra enhancements later on, it will be more complicated if we are using a different mantra on the front end.

Of course, the choice is yours. Certainly there are many ways to conduct the process of human spiritual transformation. I am just not in a position to vouch for the efficiency of all of them at this time. Keep in mind that mixing approaches can sometimes lead us to less instead of more, as has been discussed here in the AYP forums from time to time. If we keep at the discussion long enough, I am sure we will come to know much more about variations that will work, and about ones that will not. That is the mission of open spiritual science. The important thing is that we keep moving forward with the sincere intention to find and optimize means that will bring us the best results on our path, and the most useful knowledge we can record for the benefit those who come after us.

As Rumi, the great Sufi master said:
"Keep walking, though there's no place to get to.
Don't try to see through the distances.
That's not for human beings.
Move within,
But don't move the way fear makes you move."

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  12:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, great response, Yogani.

Farooq, welcome. If you have a chance, give this a read:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=167
and
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=168
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  1:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again:

Great topic links, Jim.

Farooq, it can also be mentioned that "allah" is phonetically similar to "namah," which is in the 2nd and 3rd AYP mantra enhancements. As discussed in lesson #188, "namah" is added "for its syllables (lengthening), and as a traditional transition in mantra repetitions. It resonates ecstatically in the heart, cultivating bhakti, and has a purifying effect throughout the nervous system."

We do not start with "namah" as a beginning mantra because it is necessary to prepare the nervous system for the additional heart opening it brings, as well as for the additional syllables. From the AYP perspective, perhaps "allah" would fit as a replacement for "namah" at that stage. It is just a possibility -- not tested for longevity here. But perhaps a reasonable approach that is in the direction of the AYP style of mantra progression.

It is not recommended to jump straight to mantra enhancements in AYP. Better to follow the guidelines in the lessons. If we go too soon, it can be unsettling, like shifting gears in a manual transmission car prematurely.

Food for thought...

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

farooq

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  9:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit farooq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani and Jim for your Kind and thoughtful reponses.

Since my first post I had a chance to go deep in meditation using Allah both in the evening and daytime. It was very nice.

Still, I deeply respect the work that you have done and shall now focus on IAM as i still regard myself as a novice of all this stuff.

I look to dive deeper

Thank you all

peace and smiles
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  3:45:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Farooq,

Osho in Book of Secrets says "Allah" is the best name of God going, and is an amazing mantra.

The way he was discussing it was in the context of a mantra to be used in more of a pranayama context as it entices a very relaxed exhalation to be done vocally or subvocally.

Making a distinction between pranayama and meditation is something I've just recently picked up from AYP, and perhaps it could be useful in this case too.

-Yoda
Go to Top of Page

farooq

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  2:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit farooq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

Wow, great response, Yogani.

Farooq, welcome. If you have a chance, give this a read:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=167
and
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=168

Hi Jim,

I really liked reading your experience with prostrating

There is a very poignant passage in the'Secrets of Wilder' that reienforces how profound prostrating is:

"He lay heaving in emotion on the floor. Desperate longing swept over
him again and again, and he began to weep. He pulled himself up on his
knees, into a prostrate position with his forehead on the rug. His arms lay
on the rug wrapped around his head. He rocked forward and back.
I AM, I AM, I AM...
He let go ... his intention slipped inward."

very sweet stuff

peace and smiles
Go to Top of Page

farooq

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2005 :  7:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit farooq's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Yoda

Farooq,

Osho in Book of Secrets says "Allah" is the best name of God going, and is an amazing mantra.

The way he was discussing it was in the context of a mantra to be used in more of a pranayama context as it entices a very relaxed exhalation to be done vocally or subvocally.

Making a distinction between pranayama and meditation is something I've just recently picked up from AYP, and perhaps it could be useful in this case too.

-Yoda

Hey Master Yoda, nice to see you here

The book that you mentioned above, was that the same book that 'awakened' Michael Winn? I have to check it out one of these days.

Right now I'm giving time to both iam and allah. Since i also pray 5x a day i chant (ziker in Arabic) allah after prayer for a few minutes. iam is done in the morning and evening.

There is definately a different vibration that each has - allah is more 'heavier' and iam is 'lighter'

So far so good

peace and smiles
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000