Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Merging?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  07:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I posted this a couple of days ago in Kirtanmans' Crown Chakra thread, but I'm not sure it is necessarily connected with the crown, so I am moving it here as it seems to be more an inner silence thing. I was wondering if anyone else has had experiences like this. It has unsettled me a bit, and I haven't done any practices since it happened:

I merged with someone yesterday. It was well trippy. I was just walking along a busy street watching the silence, and the people walking by. My crown chakra was in full swing, as was my ajna chakra, and I was settled in my consciousness. Then one guy who was walking past me looked straight into my eyes, and we merged. It was as if I came up and out through my eyes, and he did too at the same time. It felt like he was being pulled by my pull towards him. We met and merged in the air halfway between our two phsical bodies. I saw the energies moving through the air, like two souls meeting. Then the connection was lost and we both returned to normal. Neither of us stopped walking and the whole thing happened in less than a second. I could tell from his eyes that he was a bit shocked. I was a bit shocked too as it was the first time I had experienced this. After that I was still able to look people in the eyes, but not from the same 'place' inside, it just felt a bit too intimate (or scary).

It was like something out of the Matrix, only without the red pills (or any pills at all for that matter)

I guess the reason it has unsettled me is because it happened with another human being. If I had merged with a flower, or a tree, or a cloud, it wouldn't have bothered me. But with humans, we have social etiquet which governs the way we talk to each other, the way we touch each other, and the way we make love with each other. But this was like... wham... merged, with a complete stanger, in a crouded street.
I guess my personal boundaries feel a little threatened as well... Like, what's going to happen next? Or, what if it happens all the time? It will certainly change the way I relate to people.

Any advice would be welcome.

Christi

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  08:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi christie you are not alone

I have had an experience like this only once. I wasn't aware of any crown activity though.

It happened in a crowded supermarket at the check out i turned my head and made brief eye contact with someone at the next checkout our eyes sort of met there was a brief merging and then it was gone, and yes by the expression of bafflement on the other persons face they felt it too its an experience that stays with you..very intense.

Edited by - Richard on Apr 24 2007 08:36:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  10:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani's postings have made me aware that such things are actually controllable. And control is approriate, as this can feel like an invasion of personal space for the other person. Now that you're aware of it, you'll surely find you're able to keep it under wraps.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Apr 24 2007 10:27:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  06:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Richard,
quote:
It happened in a crowded supermarket at the check out i turned my head and made brief eye contact with someone at the next checkout our eyes sort of met there was a brief merging and then it was gone, and yes by the expression of bafflement on the other persons face they felt it too its an experience that stays with you..very intense.

Thanks for that... yes it was certainly very intense.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  06:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

Yogani's postings have made me aware that such things are actually controllable. And control is approriate, as this can feel like an invasion of personal space for the other person. Now that you're aware of it, you'll surely find you're able to keep it under wraps.

Hi Jim/Christi
Yes your right jim it can be controlled. I regularly meditate with a friend and some time ago I started to access what appeared to be their random thoughts during that half asleep half awake state experienced when you first go to bed. I could only put this down to the strong connection we had achieved,this felt quite wrong like an invasion of personal space. I stopped it just by intent it was quite easy to do. We still share some meditations and the connection is still strong but I don't pick up personal thoughts outside of the meditation sessions anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  07:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,
quote:

I wasn't aware that Yogani has talked about merging in the sense of merging with someone else? I ran a search on his forum posts and found this:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1087#6476

He seems to be saying that merging is a good thing, but he seems to be refering to merging with a place inside ourselves. When it happened to me I didn't feel like I had any control over the process. I didn't know it was going to happen one second before it did, and I couldn't of stopped it even if I had known. But I am sure it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been in the silence. Today I am not in the silence, so I know it will not happen.
But this is my dilema. I know I am not expressing it well at all. So I will try and express my dilema more clearly:
Merging seems to be a natural process of awakening. Adyashanti talks about it a lot in terms of merging with objects of the senses. We see a tree, and become the tree. And he says that the process can become frequent, or even almost continuous. Yogani talks about it in terms of merging with something inside ourself, but at the same time implies that what is within us is also what is without. Or to put it another way, that what looks like it is outside us is actually within us, and is us. That's how I understand it anyway. But I have never heard Adyashanti or Yogani talk about where merging with another being (person) fits into this. It must fit in somewhere.
If I am open, and absorbed in the silense I will merge again, I am sure of that. If it happened once, and the same conditions arise, it will happen again, and probably more frequently the more I (?) become established in that space. But are you saying that I should be careful about the state that my consciousness is in when other people are around? Because I wouldn't want to invade their personal space?
Like... "Oh no, here comes a person, quick, think shopping lists"
It doesn't feel quite genuine.
I am sorry I am not explaining this very well, but I am sure you will understand. Do you know of somewhere else in the forum where Yogani has talked about this issue?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Swami Vajra

42 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  08:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Swami Vajra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi,

In general it is considered poor form to peek into the mind of another unless we are serving them in some way that requires that knowledge. But, in order to learn that we oftentimes start with these sort of "accidental" or "all of a sudden" type experiences.

We happen to know for certain there is absolutely nothing accidental or all of a sudden. Only our conditioned awareness makes it seem that way. We are developing, learning how to use the new tools as we go, or remembering how to use them. As Yogani has said many times in concert with other Learned Ones.....the system knows what to do and when. If we cautiously unwrap the gift we will enjoy it to the fullest!

Remember, your will guides ALL. Now that this has happened, use your all powerful will and intent to never invade the thoughts of another unless it be in service.

Oh yeah, speaking of the odd interplays that can happen at Wal Mart, try looking at small children and watch their eyes sparkle and smile when they see you, just transmit a "Hello" to them and see what happens!
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  10:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Do you know of somewhere else in the forum where Yogani has talked about this issue?

Not specifically or using that word, I don't think, no. But he has spoken about exchange of awareness and energy and other yogic phenomenon re: those we come across in our daily life, and made the point that it is fully controllable. I.e. just because one can merge doesn't mean one ought to, or that it's an involuntary, unavoidable thing. It can be kept under wraps.

If you're searching for the quote, does that mean this doesn't ring true for you, just on the face of it?

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Apr 25 2007 12:52:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  10:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Swami Vajra
We happen to know for certain there is absolutely nothing accidental or all of a sudden. Only our conditioned awareness makes it seem that way. We are developing, learning how to use the new tools as we go, or remembering how to use them. As Yogani has said many times in concert with other Learned Ones.....the system knows what to do and when. If we cautiously unwrap the gift we will enjoy it to the fullest!

Remember, your will guides ALL. Now that this has happened, use your all powerful will and intent to never invade the thoughts of another unless it be in service.

Oh yeah, speaking of the odd interplays that can happen at Wal Mart, try looking at small children and watch their eyes sparkle and smile when they see you, just transmit a "Hello" to them and see what happens!

Great posting. I actually tend to wave (as I pass by) at kids rather than say "hello", because that's less likely to trigger "talking to strangers" issues that may have been drummed into them.

The way i place my "will" as you put it (good word) in Walmartian situations is a wry acceptance that all around me share with me and with each other the same awareness, the same moment (same thing!). If anyone seems to resonate with it, great. I sort of let people merge with ME if they want...strictly on their terms. I don't invite it or force it. Mostly people are oblivious to anything anyway...too busy being slaves to the box on their shoulders (as am I, plenty of the time!).

Always I bear in mind that issues and anxieties I bring into my day to day encounters (including passing silently among strangers) are really, really important. See this posting (the third down in this thread: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=962 )
for where that started for me. And see this posting http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2438 for where it's headed.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Apr 25 2007 12:40:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  12:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim those links aren't working properly they just go to the main forums page.

well they do for me at any rate!!!

Edited by - Richard on Apr 25 2007 12:11:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  12:23:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
They do for me too....
Strange - they sure look right, though
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  12:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've fixed the links...sorry 'bout that!
Go to Top of Page

Swami Vajra

42 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  2:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Swami Vajra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

quote:
Originally posted by Swami Vajra[/i]

Great posting. I actually tend to wave (as I pass by) at kids rather than say "hello", because that's less likely to trigger "talking to strangers" issues that may have been drummed into them.

Yikes!!!

Please forgive me if my use of the word "transmit" caused that sort of thought! I didn't mean to encourage anyone into a behavior that may have unwanted consequences of triggering the mother/father/guardian.

I meant transmit in the literal sense, it's a silent thing. Ya know, that inner communication stuff through the eyes.

Edited by - Swami Vajra on Apr 25 2007 2:08:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  03:06:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the great replies and advice.
quote:
Swami Vajra wrote:
In general it is considered poor form to peek into the mind of another unless we are serving them in some way that requires that knowledge. But, in order to learn that we oftentimes start with these sort of "accidental" or "all of a sudden" type experiences.

Hi Swami
I certainly don't want to do anything that would be considered "poor form", but I am not sure that I was "peeking into the mind of another". I certainly wasn't reading his mind... it seemed to be something that happened beyond the mental plane altogether, more on a soul level. There were no thoughts involved, or even feelings. It sounds like you are writing from experience, do you experience merging with other things?

quote:
Jim wrote:
Not specifically or using that word, I don't think, no. But he has spoken about exchange of awareness and energy and other yogic phenomenon re: those we come across in our daily life, and made the point that it is fully controllable. I.e. just because one can merge doesn't mean one ought to, or that it's an involuntary, unavoidable thing. It can be kept under wraps.

If you're searching for the quote, does that mean this doesn't ring true for you, just on the face of it?

Hi Jim
I have to be honest and say I really don't know much about these things. It is an area that confuses me. Swami Vajra uses the word "Will", and says that my all powerful will should guide all, but so many have said that we must fully surrender to the Will of God. I guess that is what really confuses me, and why I started this thread. It is all about will and surrender, and a question of whose will and whop is surrendering to who?. I felt that I was in a very open and surrendered space when it happened. I certainly wasn't looking to invade anyone, and I'm not at all sure that that is what happened. I am sure the other man involved probably just thought "that was a bit wierd", and then thought nothing more about it, or maybe something happened for him inside.
I can remember things like that happening to me at times, like when you walk past someone and look into their eyes and suddenly something seems to go very deep, like there's noone there, just a depth of surrender and peace. I can still remember those times very clearly in my mind, like time slowed down for a moment and the world became slightly opaque and crystal clear.
So I guess what is confusing me is this... to what extent is "everything my will", and to what extent am I surrendering to the Divine Will? I know a Bhakti would say that we only surrender to the Divine, and a Gnyani (Jnyani) would say that we are the Divine already, so there is nothing to surrender to. So I know that it is a matter of teaching and perspective (or maturity and readiness). And it can seem a bit philosophical.
But in a practical sense, or a very real sense, if I sit down with a friend, and I feel we are about to merge, on a soul level into a place that is beyond the mind and the senses, do I see it as Gods will and let it happen, or do I intervene, come out of that space into the surface mind and stop it from happening?
The reason I am confused about all this (I think), is because as I understand it, the reason we are all here at all is because we went against the Divine Will in the first place, and that is why the worlds came into being, and that is how seperation occured and time began. So in order to heal the Wound (in creation) we have to bring our will in line with the Divine Will. And when this happens the worlds will be drawn up (re-merge) into the Source, and the illusion of time will end.
Wow.. Deep... where did that come from?

So... (if this is right) it is all about Will, and about surrender. The whole universe, and our existence in it is a matter of Will.
To be honest Jim (and I'm sure you would rather I were honest than simply agreeing with Yoganis' view), I guess what feels right to me is to continue to open, and to surrender to what happens rather than trying to control it or resist it.
But as I say, I am confused about this area of practice, and I don't know if it is the right thing to do. Maybe I am still a Bhakti (Dvaita) when it comes to the crunch?... I don't know.
I hope this makes my predicament a bit clearer...

Christi
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  09:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi:

If the intention is to serve, there will be no discomfort when we notice that the boundaries we have been living within are a construct. If the intention is to protect, there can be some concern when the clouds part for a moment.

It is an evolution, with adjustments necessary along the way as we unfold from within. The turning point is when we are still/open enough inside to allow it, and that is coincident with the turn to serving more than protecting.

Even so, we will instinctively sustain a boundary to function in the world, and this is where the will comes in. But it is not all or nothing on either side. Stillness knows. The trust we are seeking is trusting our own inner process, and that takes some time. This too is service.

Service/silence also knows when to step back -- self-pacing.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  2:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,
quote:
Hi Christi:

If the intention is to serve, there will be no discomfort when we notice that the boundaries we have been living within are a construct. If the intention is to protect, there can be some concern when the clouds part for a moment.

It is an evolution, with adjustments necessary along the way as we unfold from within. The turning point is when we are still/open enough inside to allow it, and that is coincident with the turn to serving more than protecting.

Even so, we will instinctively sustain a boundary to function in the world, and this is where the will comes in. But it is not all or nothing on either side. Stillness knows. The trust we are seeking is trusting our own inner process, and that takes some time. This too is service.

Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying that if my attitude is to serve (others/ humanity/ The Divine) then everything will be fine, and something in the silence will know when it is apropriate to let the boundaries fall?
Then all I have to do is to change my attitude from one of protecting to one of serving? I guess we all exist somewhere on a spectrum between these two. I take it protecting means fear/ contraction and service means selfless love?

Christi

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  4:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Are you saying that if my attitude is to serve (others/ humanity/ The Divine) then everything will be fine, and something in the silence will know when it is apropriate to let the boundaries fall?
Then all I have to do is to change my attitude from one of protecting to one of serving? I guess we all exist somewhere on a spectrum between these two. I take it protecting means fear/ contraction and service means selfless love?

Christi

Hi Christi:

Actually, rising inner silence is what changes our attitude. We can choose to serve, but it will only go as far as our inner opening.

Of course, service is practice also, but will be less a primary cause than deep meditation, for most people anyway.

When inner silence comes, fear goes, That is another way of looking at it. Sometimes acting "as if" there is no fear can help the opening, but this too depends on inner silence.

These are not disconnected events -- your experience of merging, the degree of inner silence, the degree of opening to service, less fear, less need to protect. They are all different aspects of the same multi-dimensional opening that is occurring. Pick parts to do that suit you best. Every aspect of yoga is connected through your nervous system.

Good things are happening!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  11:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow.

I had an experience earlier tonight where I felt like I was merging with two other people. They were agitated, and stressed. I could feel their rhythms, in how they talked. It was strained, choppy, urgent, restless, but completely unintentionally and subtly. There was a vibration in the voice that actually made me cringe in a physical gesture. It was moving me from my center and my intuitive of perception of this was itself alive, or fluid.

Almost immediately I fled, and it was strange because I was literally saying to these people as politely as I could I have to disengage conversation with you, and was a bit shaky and speedy as I exited the scenario. I was flustered but without any anger. Or rather, I felt anger or illusion coming on and I completely rejected it. I had no conflict with these people, but I could feel emotional sparks flying.

Then I left and immediately went into meditation. After a few seconds I was relaxed, and in a comfortable relaxed state for about 45 minutes.

Edited by - Kyman on Apr 30 2007 11:46:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  11:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Swami Vajra

Christi,

Gosh, that's beautiful. It reminds of a moment the other day where this dove nesting outside was spotted while switching shifts with its mate. It became perfectly still, mid squat, no joke. My cat and this dove had a little moment.

Children feel noticed in the exact same way it seems, only the fear the bird feels is absent. The child has no wings yet it is immersed in freedom just like the bird.

This entire conversation makes me wonder about my personal relationships, or lack thereof.

I intentionally and unconsciously avoid personal relationships. I experience friction, on the inside, from them. Over time I get attached, and my logic can become loose and violent.

It is at this point very difficult to avoid entering another's mind, absorbing its frame of reference, and then using it against that person.

Fortunately, we all experience a greater threshold of awareness by practicing the AYP techniques.

We are able to become conscious mid surf, and then ride the wave in a new and more 'graceful' way.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  1:56:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani
Thanks for the reply.
quote:
Hi Christi:

Actually, rising inner silence is what changes our attitude. We can choose to serve, but it will only go as far as our inner opening.

That really helps to clarify things. I was beginning to think that I had to go around serving everybody. But it would feel a bit forced and unnatural. Of course having two children I do a great amount of serving anyway, but I am usually too worn out after looking after them to have much time (or energy) for others. But you are right, when the silence comes, then there is a natural overflowing, and the heart opens, and then service is not a choice but a natural condition. So inner silence is the key.... I might have guessed.

quote:
Service/silence also knows when to step back -- self-pacing.

You must be psychic ! Yes, I was overdoing things a bit before this happened. And I paid the price afterwards in terms of a contraction of my being (from the previous expanded and open state) and some minor physical symptoms.
I will take things a bit more gently from now on.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  2:01:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kyman,
quote:
Wow.

I had an experience earlier tonight where I felt like I was merging with two other people. They were agitated, and stressed. I could feel their rhythms, in how they talked. It was strained, choppy, urgent, restless, but completely unintentionally and subtly. There was a vibration in the voice that actually made me cringe in a physical gesture. It was moving me from my center and my intuitive of perception of this was itself alive, or fluid.

Almost immediately I fled, and it was strange because I was literally saying to these people as politely as I could I have to disengage conversation with you, and was a bit shaky and speedy as I exited the scenario. I was flustered but without any anger. Or rather, I felt anger or illusion coming on and I completely rejected it. I had no conflict with these people, but I could feel emotional sparks flying.

I also get this, quite often. I think it is something that happens as our consciousness expands. We can feel the emotions of others (tele-empathy). It's really lovely when the people around us are feeling peaceful and loving, but if we are in a situation where people are feeling agitated, or stressed, or angry then we feel all those things inside our body as if they were happening to us. It is very wierd and unplesant.

I think you were right to just get yourself out of the situation. It is easy to tell that it was the vibration of other people that you were picking up, rather than emotions that were being created by your own energy body, because of the fact that it simply went away after you left, and you could enter a deep state in meditation. I feel this too... if it is someone else's energy vibration I am picking up on, if I walk out of the room, the emotions just stop and I go back to how I was before coming close to that person.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  12:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is becoming very apparent to me that large groups of people are hard for my body to process.

It would be really interesting to see the aura of such a person.

We have real-time weather images, and can act according to them. If we had real-time color images that correlated to feelings in the body, we certainly reach a deeper level of integration.

I'm sure this is a common experience for all of us, who are naturally willing to join. It is okay to be open with our feelings, we should just pay mind to observe them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000