Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 What are your grounding activities?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cff

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  05:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What do you do that is grounding for you?

Sports? Sex? Eating? Painting?

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  06:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Walking, drumming, playing guitar, astronomy, going out for meals with friends, going to see bands, playing in a band, every day tasks like shopping, cleaning, reading, listening to music, gentle stretching excersises. Paid work/career. I often walk barefoot in the garden or around the house. Anything that disperse energy and is everyday life outside of practices and spiritual study.

I've excluded sex, not because it isn't grounding, but it can become an obsession in itself for some people.

Edited by - karl on Apr 16 2012 09:52:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  08:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is "irituallity" irritating spirituality? Yeah, i've met those guys; not grounding at all.

Touching the earth and plants, working with worms (little worm farm). Any exercise that makes me out of breath.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  09:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Is "irituallity" irritating spirituality? Yeah, i've met those guys; not grounding at all.

Touching the earth and plants, working with worms (little worm farm). Any exercise that makes me out of breath.

Don't you start, M is already on my case.

iRituallity ....it's an iPad app

My iPad has decided to get very mean since its update. I mean how is that even a word? It automatically corrects it. Maybe it's advertising Zazzle t shirts, or maybe it's Steve Jobs final joke an anyone involved in the S word.

Edited by - karl on Apr 16 2012 09:54:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2012 :  1:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe your ipad does it's own practices - "i-ritual"

I know what you're going thru - I could search for something extremely normal, and Google asks me "Are you sure you don't mean "(something extremely abnormal and spelled wrong too)?"

Like maybe i will search for "Walmart", and it will say "Are you sure you don't mean Sr. Wally Martinez in San Antonio, Tx?"
Go to Top of Page

crazymandrew

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  01:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit crazymandrew's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hiking where you are really isolated from human vibes can be very grounding. It's amazing how chaotic city energy can be. Pure clarity, pure clarity. I'm not exaggerated that.
Go to Top of Page

axelschlotzhauer

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  05:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not call everyday life a grounding activity in a spiritual sense as it is distracting and dispersing energies.

Only a grounding activity keeping and enforcing the results of the meditation is really grounding.

The usual grounding activity is collecting the energy at the navel or deeper the see of energy as lower dantien. This is done by the buddhist meditation mudra or hands left over right (men, women the controverse)resting there for some time.

This draws excess energy in the head and heart downwards.

Generally speaking a meditation should be grounded and not head centered as in normal intellectual, unconscious and unconcentrated life. Many parts of the body are simply outside consciousness so that your picture of your body has many unconscious zones. 4 years asanas prepare for higher meditations for solving this problem mostly by much sitting upright and relaxed sitting postures.

Meditations including also the legs and whole body meditations are also contraventions against lack of grounding kundalini easily produces.

Axel

Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  05:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find solar centering enhancement of mantra in meditation is grounding: http://www.aypsite.org/368.html

Then running. Playing computer games like Call of Duty, lol. Eating meat and heavy, earthy foods. Lifting weights, and boot camp style exercise regime.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  11:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few other topics that have some good suggestion on grounding techniques that I would like to add links to here :
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=7122
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5624
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=9244
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2395

Just discovered a few days back knitting can be very grounding.
My favorite though is walking with music on.
Go to Top of Page

Pheel

China
318 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  4:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Pheel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Shanti,

So you are one of those folks with ear phones plugged in while walking,,,,,hmmmm:P

For me, taiji right after meditation twice daily work very well. Long and relaxed hiking works. social activities where you give positive energy to ppl work well, too. I used to ground by watching movies, but then all mental form of grounding can potentially bring the energy up into the head.

Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2012 :  4:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gardening, shoveling horse manure, digging a ditch or other outdoors activities involving the earth. Doing asana barefoot on the beach. Tantric sex. Eating "comfort foods" like mac & cheese or cinnamon toast.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  02:51:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
YES! Ditto on the horse manure! In fact it's one of my favorite "practices". So calming.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2012 :  8:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LittleTurtle

YES! Ditto on the horse manure! In fact it's one of my favorite "practices". So calming.

yes, today I shoveled some into pots and planted vegetables in it. such a lovely feeling!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  08:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's usually too strong; you have to age it and mix a little with a lot of dirt or compost.
Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  6:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Daily activity (work) can very specifically be amazingly grounding--my guru called such activities "simple awareness activities." Since I retired, what I find most grounding are cooking and eating (meat included--VERY grounding!), yard-work, walking and cycling outdoors and sex. I've got somewhat of a balance which works most of the time...
Michael
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  06:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

It's usually too strong; you have to age it and mix a little with a lot of dirt or compost.

I have not found this to be the case. Horse manure is one of the few fertilizers that will not "burn" even when it is "fresh." I use it fairly straight up. However, here in FL it "ages" and composts on its own pretty fast.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  12:50:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah meat is very grounding. So grounding that for me I turn into a slug if I eat meat.
It is said that because Ramakrishna would go into spontaneous ecstacies so easily that he would smoke a cigarette to keep himself grounded. (Several of the old photos of him show him doing spontaneous yoga or kriyas.)
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  9:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Radharani

quote:

I have not found this to be the case. Horse manure is one of the few fertilizers that will not "burn" even when it is "fresh." I use it fairly straight up. However, here in FL it "ages" and composts on its own pretty fast.

Cool; yours is prob better than mine. i get "aged steer manure" from Home Depot but it's probably from confined animals or all kinds of non-organic chemicals in it. I used much less this year and am using worms and castings and the plants are very happy.
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2012 :  10:05:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well I've literally got tons of free composted horse manure for anyone who cares to come get it.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  05:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lots of housework...cleaning everywhwere...washing fruits and veggies...carrying heavy groceries...reading "silly" stuff like female magazines and pampering the impermanent body which is the vehicle to enlightenment (manicure,pedicure etc...)
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - May 14 2012 :  4:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We've had a grounding discussion a couple of yrs. ago, although I took a narrow down-to-Earth perspective in that thread, :
www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=5464#49851
Go to Top of Page

Medea

Netherlands
115 Posts

Posted - May 15 2012 :  3:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Swimming is my no 1 help when I have energy related overload. When I peddle away for 30-45 minutes, it feels like the water absorbs my excess energy, and I'm back to normal when I come out. (jeez, for a grounded person like me, this statement sounds way too new-agey, but it's the truth :p)
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  1:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
playing Guitar Hero with friends
Go to Top of Page

sivasambho

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  2:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mostly sit, sleep and do yoga in the ground. No amount of spider bites seems to make me change my mind. Best thing would be to move close to mountains.

Anyone know of a city/mountainous region where the land is cheap? I am thinking of chattanooga...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000