Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Am I doing deep meditation right
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guardian4981

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  12:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I just read Yoganis Deep Meditation book, good read a week ago. I had hopes to use it to help with my anxiety and mild depression.

I been meditating using the technique "IAM" for about a week now. I have noticed that sometimes when I meditate these thoughts seem to pop of of my past, things I have not thought about in many years sometimes, like a gift I got for xmas when I was a kid. When I finish I find that I feel very happy for a bit, I seem to have a bit more energy in the day.

When I meditate I also seem to almost "sense" the needs of others around me. Like for xmas, I was dreading if my parents would ask me to pick up my grandma cause she can't walk well and it can be a troubling experience. But when I meditated I felt this feeling that I should and didn't feel anxiety over it anymore!

The past day or two when I meditate I seem to be feeling even more issues of people that I am not necessarily close with, like folks at work. I almost feel overwhelmed. I even started to feel glimpses into the childhood of the girl I am seeing and my parents. I dunno if its real or if my mind is making it up?

Nonetheless, I always try to ease back into the mantra like Yogani says, sometimes I can go a while and there is alot of peace and I feel good. Other times I get these waves of impending thoughts and feelings like I described above. I am just posting to see if this is normal and if I am doing this right!

Thanks

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  12:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

This is perfectly normal and here we call it scenery.And the old thoughts,buried thoughts do come ou during meditation and thats the purpose of it as it releases them out.This is like now the mind is clutered and the introduction of mantra to the mind is doing some dusting work and it creates the ripple.So there is nothing to worry about these are normal thing and you keep coming back to the mantra.Your meditation is going fine.You can also add spinal breathing pranayama as you seem to be smooth in meditation.

Hope and each and everyone finds Eternal Peace

Love N Light
Viji
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2011 :  03:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very normal and very sweet. I had such experiences when I first started meditating as well.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1068
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the AYP forums.
Go to Top of Page

Guardian4981

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  12:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies!

I find the meditations seem to have a pattern. The first minute or two I have thoughts flashing from recent things, like faces of people I talked to that day. Then for the next ten minutes or so I seem to experience thoughts of the very distant past woven with some recent past. Then the last five minutes or so seems to be a more deep peacefull silence with only occasional thoughts.

Last night my session seemed more profound then when I started, by the time it was done I felt both happy but also very fatigued. Also for the first time, in that session I felt tears almost starting. But I am not sure if one should cry, wouldn't that disrupt the meditation?

Overall I would say what has most impressed me thus far is thoughts coming out of things I have not thought of in many many years. If it were not for meditation I doubt some of those memories and thoughts would ever come out.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  12:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian4981

Also for the first time, in that session I felt tears almost starting. But I am not sure if one should cry, wouldn't that disrupt the meditation?

If it happens once in a while, go with it... let whatever is happening play itself out, dont indulge it by creating thoughts (go back to the mantra if possible), but dont push it away either...
If it starts to happen with every session, self pace.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  1:49:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
...by the time it was done I felt both happy but also very fatigued.

Welcome!

For the fatigue, and generally for a balanced practice routine, do five minutes of rest (flat on the back on the floor) at the end of a sit.

Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  1:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by bewell

quote:
...by the time it was done I felt both happy but also very fatigued.

For the fatigue, and generally for a balanced practice routine, do five minutes of rest (flat on the back on the floor) at the end of a sit.

Agree with Bewell, a 5 - 10 min rest is very important after meditation and before going into your every day life.
It is suggested by many to lie down on your back for rest, however, I have found it equally good to be in whatever position is comfortable for the rest. I sit and rest at times, at times lay on my side and that works just as well. The important thing is to be comfortable.
All the best.

If after rest, the fatigue continues during the rest of the day, look into cutting back on meditation time a bit... but only if it seems like it is carrying with you into the day.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  2:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Also for the first time, in that session I felt tears almost starting. But I am not sure if one should cry, wouldn't that disrupt the meditation?

Sometimes it's easy to forget those early days, crying with relief and thanks without really knowing the reason. Wow, thanks for the reminder. Just treat as scenery, cry if you need to, for as long as you need to and then gently back to the Mantra.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  2:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are doing the practice perfectly! Thoughts come and go, memories, body sensations, energy sensations etc. The important part is to practice regularly and consistently and be comfortable. The "scenery" is the just the process unfolding, don't pay any special attention to it, it will change with time and that is perfect too.
Go to Top of Page

Guardian4981

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  12:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I need help!

Today's when I meditated at night the experience was different then the others. I had much fewer thoughts the first few minutes. Then I was at a point where I felt outside the mantra I had almost zero thoughts. However when I realized this I almost became frightened, like I felt really vulnerable or something. But I also felt relaxed too. My breathing was much slower then the other meditations yet when I finished I was not groggy at all, if anything I felt more awake. At one point in the meditation it almost felt like somewhere there was alot of thoughts, but that that I was moving through them so fast I couldn't even tell what the thoughts were. But despite feeling like I was "traveling" super fast I felt calm.

Now that I am done my body and head as a whole feel more light. I do think my biggest question and issue is that when my mind seems to get to a point of zero thoughts I seem to get afraid which then seems to cause thoughts to come back.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  01:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
do think my biggest question and issue is that when my mind seems to get to a point of zero thoughts I seem to get afraid

this is exactly what is happening to you...the mind is loosing its grip on you...this situation feels new and weird for your mind cause the mind feels it is getting weak,so it fights back and resists by creating all kinds of irrational thoughts and emotions like fear etc....dont worry everything is going very well ....we all experience that....when the mind starts to loose its grip,observe all the irrational feelings that might come appear, then after this "crisis" notice that there is a new sense of freedom and internal peace rising
all the best
Go to Top of Page

Guardian4981

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  10:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Things have been going fairly well but its kind of a bumpy road.

I am finding that my sensitivity to sound has increased, which usually happens when I get anxiety but I do not get anxious from it now.

I also seem to have "feeling" shifts. What seems to be happening is the thoughts I usually over analyze and repeat seem to be disapating more during my everyday life. Sometimes this makes me feel a bit uneasy and afrad cause I wonder who I even am. Other times I feel "light," relaxed, and cheerfull.

I think my compassion is also increasing, even going to McDonalds late nite for a snack I feel bad for the front counter girl working, where the "old" me would be aggravated how long its taking for my things.

One thing that concerns me is alot of my worries and concerns while not gone completey, I think more and more "it doesn't matter" but then I worry that if I think my old concerns don't matter I will be too vulnerable to life and the world.

Hope some of this makes sense in terms of what I am going through!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  1:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an in-depth lesson by Mr. Yogani that covers the various stages of mind you are describing:
http://www.aypsite.org/327.html

Roll on.
Go to Top of Page

Guardian4981

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  6:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Today I went to supermarket, I was getting some greek yogurt and organic ezekial bread, I eat very healthy. Some woman in front of me who looked run down asked the cashier to ring everything up first before the milk. The whole time I was aggravated cause I was in a hurry and this woman was holding things up a bit. So the cashier told her the amount, and the woman gave her the milk and said she only had enough for everything else. At first I thought what the heck lady. But then I began to feel bad, maybe the milk was for her family and that's all the money she had left.

It was strange, usually I do not care much for anyone except myself and close friends/loved ones. Part of me felt good, but part of me felt uneasy, I have enough to worry about in my own life let alone some random woman.

Coincidence? Or part of this meditation evolution.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  9:23:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious...did it cross your mind to offer to pay for the milk?
Go to Top of Page

Guardian4981

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  10:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly no, I was confused by my unprecedented feelings so kind of just wanted the whole thing to be over with but walking out I kept thinking wow what is happening to me!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  01:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Stillness becomes like a stone dropped in water. It ripples out in waves of divine love. And the initial waves may be tiny and barely noticeable, manifested first as thoughts and feelings--a change in intention, mood, and perception of the world. But the waves grow, becoming more apparent and true in every interaction, until the flow is constant, dancing with the cosmos. This is evolution, as I've glimpsed it, and more fully, as told by the masters.

As one AYP-er said in a recent forum post, the question is...not so much whether or not you can make this flow permanent, but rather, is it even possible to stop It? Of course, the answer, I believe wholeheartedly, is No. So, why not accelerate It and become intimately acquainted with Its momentum, direction, and genius. Sounds like you are well on your way to doing just that, with daily practice (naturally leading to karma yoga and devotion to a higher ideal).
Go to Top of Page

Guardian4981

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  10:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, meditations been going well, seem slowly there is fewer and fewer thoughts and more silence. But, one issue that is occuring now is that I seem to sense/feel alot of suffering in those around me, and it can be overwhelming at times. Not sure what to do as I am prone to anxiety and depression myself so feeling more pain of those around me only enhances my battle it seems....
Go to Top of Page

n/a

26 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2012 :  11:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

Stillness becomes like a stone dropped in water. It ripples out in waves of divine love.

Funny you should mention that, Bodhi Tree!

Last night, in the midst of DM, I had the following experience:
At a certain point, I became very relaxed and still. When I reached this point, every repetition of the mantra felt like a droplet of water dropping into my mind, and rippling outward into my being.

Weird, huh?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000