Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  03:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I am doing two sutras of samyama twice a day after my dm session.Two different ones each day.Am i doing ok?all the sutras everyday is too much for me.

And...after my dm,i open my eyes,put my chrono in 0:00 again,close my eyes,wait one minute in silence and start doing samyama.Is it right?...maybe is better to finish dm,wait one minute,and start doing samyama (never opening my eyes)...i mean...am i disturbing my samyama practice if i open my eyes before it and put chrono to 0:00 and that kind of things?

Thanks.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  08:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by miguel

Hi,

I am doing two sutras of samyama twice a day after my dm session.Two different ones each day.Am i doing ok?all the sutras everyday is too much for me.

And...after my dm,i open my eyes,put my chrono in 0:00 again,close my eyes,wait one minute in silence and start doing samyama.Is it right?...maybe is better to finish dm,wait one minute,and start doing samyama (never opening my eyes)...i mean...am i disturbing my samyama practice if i open my eyes before it and put chrono to 0:00 and that kind of things?

Thanks.

Miguel,
Stick to any two sutras, don't do two different ones every day. Yogani has said about mantras "Also, when digging a well, success is most likely if we keep digging in one place. In other words, switching mantras around often is not necessarily the best strategy for maximizing our progress", however, I think it holds true with the sutras too. Working with two same sutras will be like digging in the same place for water, rather than making many different shallow holes and not finding the water.

In samayam, we take the stillness cultivated in deep meditation and move it outward. So if you feel, opening your eyes does not affect your ability to access that stillness, and you can slip back into that stillness you felt right after meditation, then there should be no problem in opening your eyes to reset the timer. If you find you are distracted and cannot go back to the place of stillness you were in just after meditation, then don't open your eyes... keep going on with samyama. .
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  08:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks shanti,

So,ill stick with 2 same sutras everyday.Maybe three.
Samyama was calling me recently.Clearly.Yes..
I feel atracted by love,radiance,and akasha.Im very courious about akasha.Strange mistic sutra...
Powerfull practice.The only problem for the moemnt is the 15 seconds after picking the sutra.Really difficult to percieve the time while doing samyama.But with practice ill get it,of course.

The problem is that i would like to do samyama with other words.Some aspects i would like to heal...

I think this is a powerful practice.Ill try not to open my eyes after dm practice.

Thank you...

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  08:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The problem is that i would like to do samyama with other words.Some aspects i would like to heal...

Well, all in good time. Do samayam on the two or three sutras now. Then you can add one or two or three or all 9 in later. You will know when its time to do so and you will somehow manage to find time to add them in too.

Also, losing track of 15 sec is normal. You will get a hang of it soon.

Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  09:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you shanti.
Witness state is increasing lately.Today some interesting flashes of increased witness state.I felt my awarenes in some moments like and "eye" looking trought this body.I was not the body,past experiences and things like that.Really interesting.I felt really free.I began to sing while driving.I was happy
Finally i found my stable kind of dm practice wich cultivates i.s. very well.Now im ready for the next step.Samyama(leap-frog).Its a new diferent world.Im begining to taste samyamas flavour recently.Yeah...ecstatic feelings and bliss during daily activities.Self pacing..of course.No more big ups and downs.

The now is full of joy.

Edited by - miguel on Nov 04 2009 09:28:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  1:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:

Well, all in good time. Do samayam on the two or three sutras now. Then you can add one or two or three or all 9 in later. You will know when its time to do so and you will somehow manage to find time to add them in too.

Also, losing track of 15 sec is normal. You will get a hang of it soon.

Wish you all the best.

Thank you Shanti I re-started the Sutras this week after finding that it was difficult to fit them all in. I was back to trying to remeber them all while doing the work and it felt a bit like juggling. Every so often I sneaked an eye open and looked at the book.

So, it's Ok just to do a couple and work up, then that makes it so much easier.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  2:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,
If you can do all 9, that is the best way to go. Miguel tends to overload easily so he was asked to add a few at a time if he thought that would help him.

If you have the time and don't have the worry of overloading, I'd suggest stay with all 9. Give it a bit of time, you will get it.

Break it up into 3 groups.
Group 1:
1. Love
2. Radiance
3. Unity

Group 2:
4. Health
5. Strength
6. Abundance

Group 3:
7. Wisdom
8. Inner Sensuality
9. Akasha – Lightness of Air
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2009 :  3:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting division shanti.Much more easy now to understand this tool.Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  03:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

I have been doing samyama using three sutras for a week,more or less...and for the moment no problem.It seems this practice is different than mantra meditation,cz im very sensitive and for the moemnt i dont need to self pace.
Samyama practice is really powerful i think.I dont feel great fireworks for the moments,but i know its working and its and accumulative process.With time it will become more powerful.

Im doing three sutras.Before them,and after breath meditation,i rest one minute in the silence and begin to do samyama pracitice.
It means 1 mte resting + three sutras = 2,30 mtes.

And here is the question and problem.

I use a chrono,and when i open my ayes after samyama practice i realize that has passed between 3,30 and four minutes.I tought it would pass and my internal clock will do the right work,but im a bit worried.
I always think im doing 15 seconds for each sutra,but it seem im doing more.

The problem is that time in inner space is really different that time in normal daily awareness.And i find it impossible to manage.(With breath meditation i use an alarm)

Please,any advice? whats your experience?

ps-The good thing is that im doing 3,30 mtes or more each day,twice a day,and for the moment no overloads,so maybe i will be able to add more sutras in the near future.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  08:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I use a chrono,and when i open my ayes after samyama practice i realize that has passed between 3,30 and four minutes.I tought it would pass and my internal clock will do the right work,but im a bit worried.
I always think im doing 15 seconds for each sutra,but it seem im doing more.

The problem is that time in inner space is really different that time in normal daily awareness.And i find it impossible to manage.(With breath meditation i use an alarm)

Please,any advice? whats your experience?

Wonderful to hear you are not overloading on this practice. I would recommend you stay with the three for a week or 3 more before you add the next three.

I have been really bad with the 15 sec limit on sutras too. Don't think you have to worry much about it tho.
Here is Yogani's reply
Lesson 317 – Eleven Key Questions on Samyama

Q3: I am having trouble keeping with the 15-second interval. Any suggestions? And why 15 seconds?

A3: In samyama, timing is simply a matter of developing a habit. It takes several sittings to do that. The nervous system actually has a very accurate clock built into it, and we can access it simply by engaging it repeatedly in our practice. In deep meditation this is true, and it is true in samyama also. However, there is a difference.

In deep meditation, most of us will follow the easy procedure for 20 minutes. Peeking at the clock near the end of the session is a suitable way of confirming where we are in time.

In samyama, we don’t want to be peeking at the clock to verify every 15-second interval. That would be too much distraction from the natural process we are engaged in. Instead, what we do is go through all of our sutras for the two repetitions each and check our time near the end, or when we are done. Then we will know if we have been going too fast or too slow, and we can make an adjustment the next time we sit to practice.

We know that nine sutras done twice each with a 15-second interval will be about five minutes of samyama practice. If our session is coming in around five minutes, we will be on track. If it is significantly shorter or longer, we can make an adjustment. Over a few days or weeks the approximate 15-second interval can be achieved in that way.

For extended use of our last sutra for five minutes (Akasha – Lightness of Air, for most of us), we can go back to the same method of timing we use for deep meditation, rather than counting repetitions. So we just go on with the sutra with the approximate 15-second intervals until five minutes have passed. Having established the 15-second interval with our other sutras, we can be reasonably confident that we will remain on track with our last sutra for the five minutes at the end of the session.

From our own experience, we will find that 15 seconds is about the right amount of time for a sutra to be released in inner silence, and enlivened from within to produce its given effect via the process of moving stillness. Then another repetition of the same or next sutra will be necessary to continue the process of cultivating moving stillness. The human mind and nervous system are pre-wired for this approximate duration of processing in samyama, much as they are pre-wired for about 20 minutes of deep meditation per session for most people.

If we go significantly shorter than 15 seconds between sutra repetitions, there will not be enough time for stillness to fully absorb and move from within the sutra. This is a common occurrence in samyama practice – going through the sutras without adequate time of letting go in-between repetitions. This happens when the mind is fully engaged, which we are all prone to have happening in our busy lives. But this is samyama, where letting go is essential. The thing to do is develop the habit of letting go and allowing inner silence do its work, not minding thoughts or other experiences that may come up. In time, we learn to trust the process. It works!

Think of it this way – each repetition is a fraction of a second of faintly picking up the sutra, and 15 seconds of letting go. So, what is samyama primarily about? Is it primarily about the sutras? No, it is about letting go!

The reason we do not deliberately go much beyond 15 seconds between repetitions is because our awareness is naturally coming back out into thoughts by then, and is looking for something to latch on to. Either that, or the mind will be wandering aimlessly after about 15 seconds. It is the nature of the mind. So we give it another sutra repetition at that point, and let go. Because samyama is an enjoyable process, the mind will be happy to go with the sutra into stillness again.

Sometimes we will lose track of the time and go way over 15 seconds. It can happen. That is covered next.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  09:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks shanti,i havent read that lessons.Very useful lesson.

Il stick with 3 sutras for three weeks.One of them is "inner space-lightness of the air" and find it a little dificult to pick it up...but i like that sutra.

I dont feel any overload with this practice.
I think my overloads shymptoms come from shakti side.For me "i am " mantra develops shiva aspect,but it has a lot of shakti side also.
Thats why with practices like sbp i feel overloaded very fast.But im not sure about this.

Some days ago during samyama,i remember i pck up one sutra and felt a really amazing feeling,like all the reality around disspaearing and my self going really deep.Amazing.Sometimes i feel another ineteresting feelings.

Maybe this practice will not create the same situation than with "i am" mantra,cz i am is a universal mantra with too much power and energy inside and works directly in spinal nerve.But maybe with samyama words it is different.Like more soft process.

And i like this process of spreading my inner silence to the world and ordinary life.Now that im practcing samyama i feel that is what i was looking for.Until the moemnt i was crating lot of inner silence inside,but only inside.Now it will be a dinamic process.Going deep with breath meditation and outpouring inner silence via samyama.Now my yoga path is "double interesting".

Thank you.

Edited by - miguel on Nov 08 2009 09:55:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2009 :  09:36:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Million of thanks to yogani for this samyama practice,a real key for heaven in earth.

Edited by - miguel on Nov 08 2009 09:55:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  08:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This morning after practices i felt un-grounding,like floating...and also nervous...active..
Im using akasha sutra.Maybe its related to this sutra? Is this sutra more powerful than other sutras?
or maybe im doing too much sutras (3 twice a day).

ps-after the meal i reted 20 mtes and after that i felt ok again.But i think i must take care.

thanks.

Edited by - miguel on Nov 09 2009 09:48:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2009 :  11:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah,i need to self-pacewith samyama also...wow...im gonna reduce a little

Three sutras are too much maybe,make me feel nervous during the day.
For the moment i stop with akasha sutra,and dont feel im floating now.It was unconfortable and strange.
I feel a little nervous yet,but im gonna wait a little and see if i must reduce to one sutra this days.

Edited by - miguel on Nov 09 2009 11:31:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  12:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think someone here described the sutras as a box of chocolates,everyone a little bit different,or a lot.I feel the last two combine well.One makes me feel like the body is hollow but also like i'm conscious of the inner energies, lively,or as if enlivened and free-flowing throughout that hollowness,that empty space, and the other (akasha)- extra-light, as if we're walking on air..

Obviously Hard to put it exactly into words as it is beyond words;we are touching on the subtleties of feeling, after all.

But I believe Samyama helps us connect the inner silence to daily life.It is strange one-subtle but sophisticated ,yes.Like an inner massage in all those odd and rarely touched places.. a taste of exotica( you know that atom egoyan film) a yogic finger-buffet for the nervous system : ).
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2009 :  08:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input akasha.Inner sensulality sutra seems interesting.
For the moment im gonna stick with love sutra,i need to take this practice easy.

Edited by - miguel on Nov 10 2009 08:50:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2009 :  02:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
After a few days with samyama i felt overloaded soon.This time the overload was really deep and hard to manage (im very sensitive to practices).This last 4 days has been really unconfortable days.I think its cz with samyama you are using inner silence as an amplifier and i have an important amount of inner silence cultivated via many months of daily meditation.
And this practice is diferent than others.With samyama the acumulative effect and overload came later than with other practices and when i realized it,maybe was too late and had to pay for this mistake.So...be careful!i know is a wonderful practice,but when you can manage with safety...
So...sensitive people,an slow and safe aproach should be taken with new samyama practice.At least this is the point of view here.(i was only doing 3 sutras twice per day).

Hope it helps others.

Edited by - miguel on Nov 14 2009 06:56:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2009 :  5:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Hi Karl,
If you can do all 9, that is the best way to go. Miguel tends to overload easily so he was asked to add a few at a time if he thought that would help him.

If you have the time and don't have the worry of overloading, I'd suggest stay with all 9. Give it a bit of time, you will get it.

Break it up into 3 groups.
Group 1:
1. Love
2. Radiance
3. Unity

Group 2:
4. Health
5. Strength
6. Abundance

Group 3:
7. Wisdom
8. Inner Sensuality
9. Akasha – Lightness of Air

I worked that out and then read your post. Thats exactly the way I do it. Occasionally the inbuilt watchdog goes a bit wrong and I'm not sure if i am repeating the sutra more than twice.

There is a definite change in my everyday life after doing sutras for two weeks.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  05:40:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been saying all nine. I have not gotten the 15s pacing down well yet. Some just naturally tumble out, merging into another. The one I have really felt the effect of is Akasha - Lightness of air. I some times feel light and bigger /less solid.

I also drop in my silence the name of the man I love and whom I need to let go of. It kind of happens on its own from the first time I learned about samyama and started practicing it. I notice I always start vibrating at a higher frequency the moment I drop in his name (done almost subconsciously). Frankly, I do not know much about the powers of samyama but can feel its effect. So I don't really know the do's and don'ts. Is it ok to do that?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  09:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

So I don't really know the do's and don'ts. Is it ok to do that?

Yep. Samyama is self regulating. You are working with stillness. If there isn't enough stillness cultivated, then samyama wont work (but it wont harm either, the practice will have no effect), and when there is stillness, the stillness will guide you. So as long as you are following the procedure defined in the lesson, you are doing fine.

PS: If your friend's name comes up on it's own then its fine, however, my experience has been, if I want to let go something, it is better not to focus much on it, the more we focus on it, the more strength we give it. It's better to let go with an intention to heal. I had written something about this here. If however, his name comes up naturally at the end of samyama, please do keep going with it.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  09:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The one I have really felt the effect of is Akasha - Lightness of air. I some times feel light and bigger /less solid.

The same experience happened here.

Take a prudent/safe aproach with this tool and carry on.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2009 :  7:05:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

I also drop in my silence the name of the man I love and whom I need to let go of. Is it ok to do that?

Yes. I did this for a few months with someone I was very attached to. I found that the attachment dropped away and my attitude towards her became more positive. The attachment dropped to the point where I stopped using her name in Samyama, and haven't thought about her since.

The love is still there. But I have no desire to bring her back into my life.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000