Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama for fitness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Searchtruth

Argentina
16 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  04:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Searchtruth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I recently finish reading the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, and it caught my attention that in Chapter III, it mentions something about the so call siddhis that arise from this practice, but i was wondering if there is some sutra for something a little bit more mundane, like for an example weight loss or something in between that allows you to increase your physical energy in order to be more fit and healthy. Thank you.

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  12:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Searchtruth,

i guess that the sutras health and strength included in the samyama version of AYP will cover that area.

light and love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  2:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope I don't one day see an infomercial about Samyama Weight Loss Technique. Order now and get this free sutra for buns of steel!!!

Go to Top of Page

glagbo

USA
53 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  11:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit glagbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jo-self

Samyama Weight Loss Technique. Order now and get this free sutra for buns of steel!!!

Accepted Payment Options:

Samadhi Dollars, Witness Visa, and Inner Silence MasterCard
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  12:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A wise woman once told me (or twice - I'm hard-headed ) that Samyama is about surrender, not manipulation. If you expect a particular result, you're unlikely to get it. You're probably better off using a quality of being, like discipline, will/willpower, or even acceptance.

You just let go of the sutra and it manifests as it will, not as you will it to.

Or listen to my friend Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  02:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
nope brother cosmic people should listen to you and that wise lady that's the best way to go at it without anticipation.

but if my memory serves me right Yogani said that even if one is doing samyama for a certain goal then it's not bad and that goal will manifest itself eventually but the beauty of this practice is that it's self regulatory concerning morality wise.

so it's a puzzle, let's consider a person did the sutra "Diet" on and on and on would it bring out any results?!

i say go for it why not, the beauty of samyama is that you can let go of anything in there and you will always have them blissful waves and spontaneous kriyas coming up.

in the end why should we practice spirituality if it doesn't bring out some 1st hand benefits..

light and love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  04:12:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning Ananda and all

quote:
in the end why should we practice spirituality if it doesn't bring out some 1st hand benefits..

Yeah.............like weightlessness
Go to Top of Page

Searchtruth

Argentina
16 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  04:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Searchtruth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that it must help you somehow, not expecting any particular result with this technique is a very discouraging prelude to anyone practicing it. Maybe it will not give you the results magically, but perhaps it will greatly strength the qualities of being that you mention required to accomplish your goal.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  04:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi searchtruth

quote:
I think that it must help you somehow, not expecting any particular result with this technique is a very discouraging prelude to anyone practicing it. Maybe it will not give you the results magically, but perhaps it will greatly strength the qualities of being that you mention required to accomplish your goal.

Yes. Good point

Intention.....will....these are strong powers. To not expect is not so lame as it sounds, though.
Usually....we equate it with "allowing for nothing to happen". But - to not expect is actually very powerfull. To surrender both negative and positive expectations......this in itself is a huge power. It is alligning with the fact that what IS always provides.

This engenders weightlessness......of heart .....

Go to Top of Page

Searchtruth

Argentina
16 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  05:10:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Searchtruth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When you say that Samyama delivers what is best for you does it mean that maybe the results will not always be what i want?? Best does not equal what i desire?
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  05:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi searchtruth

quote:
When you say that Samyama delivers what is best for you

Actually........what I said was that what IS always provides

quote:
does it mean that maybe the results will not always be what i want?? Best does not equal what i desire?

What IS....is very intelligent (to say the least ). Sometimes....the result that you want...will engender more maturing (in you and others) than if that result didn't come through. But the reverse is also true. Not-getting is actually very fruitful. What IS is implicitly self-maturing.....it will provide according to this......since it is maturity that engenders lightness of heart.

So....like this......the result of Samyama.....will always be what is "best" for everybody and everything

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  06:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi katrine,

all is good but never the less samyama remains an action of letting go for spiritual enhancement thus it is smthg done with purpose (expanding inner silence) and the same goes for everything else even the art of none doing which pure advaitans speak of is doing while letting go.

so it's just the same old paradox of doing while not doing\living without attachment.

love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Goddessinside

158 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  06:46:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Goddessinside's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Katrine

Not-getting is actually very fruitful.

We are fortunate that not all our prayers and desires become real!
Otherwise our life will become such a big mess

The very desire of purifying ourselves from karma, good or bad ones, is a karma in itself..
The key, as you said Ananda, is non-attachment.
That doesn't mean "being detached" from life. Rather being 100% involved in Life, yet being able to drop everything anytime..
Easier to say than practicing it
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  08:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ananda

quote:
all is good but never the less samyama remains an action of letting go for spiritual enhancement thus it is smthg done with purpose (expanding inner silence) and the same goes for everything else even the art of none doing which pure advaitans speak of is doing while letting go.

Absolutely

It is just that "the one doing it".....is not what one thinks it is
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  10:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Searchtruth

When you say that Samyama delivers what is best for you does it mean that maybe the results will not always be what i want?? Best does not equal what i desire?

You are limited by what your mind imagines you need. To a beggar on the street the mind will be happy with $100, to someone who has $100, a $1000 is a lot... so you see the mind can only think within its limits. Hence in samyama it is suggested to pick the surta and let it go in silence.. not expecting anything from the sutra .. because when you expect you limit yourself to what the mind can imagine.. when you just let the word dissolve in silence and trust your silence will give you what is best for you.. even if your mind is not happy with it.. it will be more than what the mind could imagine it to be. Why ask for $5000 when you can get 5 million (even if it is beyond our minds comprehension) if you just let go.

When you are starting off with samyama, it is not possible to do the practice without the desire to achieve something. But just keep something at the back of your mind at all times, "I don't know what is best for me.. the silence does.. so even though I do want this n that.. I am also going to stay open to whatever the outcome may be". As long as you don't bind yourself to the expected outcome.. as long as you have expectations, but don't bind your being to it.. you will actually be able to experience the miracles that start flowing into your life. Since the mind is not expecting it.. they are very pleasant surprises.. but if the mind is attached to the outcome.. the mind will be focused on this one thing and miss the 100 other blessings that are happening. Like if god says he will visit you the next day.. and you are waiting for god to show up in a form your mind has imagined god to be.. you will miss his presence when he brushes your face as a butterfly.

And Ananda, I agree "samyama remains an action of letting go for spiritual enhancement thus it is smthg done with purpose".. but when you have an idea of what spiritual enhancement looks like.. you are limiting yourself. Each person's journey is unique.. and the mind can only base spiritual enhancement based of someone else's experience.. which may never be our own. So it is best to do samyama with as little attachment to the outcome as possible from where you are. The letting go will happen naturally. More layers of the mind fall away.. more you relax into letting go. That's all.

Edited by - Shanti on May 06 2009 10:25:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Searchtruth

Argentina
16 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  1:56:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Searchtruth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very enlightened indeed. In the sutras of patanjali they mention something about the so call siddhis, how do those habilities work? I mean they certainly are a power that do not originate in the mind, but in the Inner Silence, but after reading patanjali, it catch up my attention, if i do samyama on certain siddhi, will that siddhi be at my disposition or will also arise as you mention when Inner Silence decides?
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  4:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Katrine

Hi Ananda

quote:

Absolutely

It is just that "the one doing it".....is not what one thinks it is

here's where neti neti comes in handy, for we may not know what God or Truth is for it's unknown but we can definitely know what it's not and it's definitely not this not this.

lovely katrina

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  4:49:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti
And Ananda, I agree "samyama remains an action of letting go for spiritual enhancement thus it is smthg done with purpose".. but when you have an idea of what spiritual enhancement looks like.. you are limiting yourself. Each person's journey is unique.. and the mind can only base spiritual enhancement based of someone else's experience.. which may never be our own. So it is best to do samyama with as little attachment to the outcome as possible from where you are. The letting go will happen naturally. More layers of the mind fall away.. more you relax into letting go. That's all.

thks for the reminder Shweta, and in my own humble opinion even the letting go of a desire is an act toward the desire or the hope of getting smthg better or a compensation.

love

Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  9:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I think that it must help you somehow, not expecting any particular result with this technique is a very discouraging prelude to anyone practicing it.

Yes, you're right that it will help you. To clarify, I meant that you can't control the exact results you get. But you can expect to get positive results. Otherwise, why do it at all? Doing something with no benefits or results is insanity.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  9:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
how about samyama for chocalte chip cookies?
thanks
Brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

Parallax

USA
348 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  09:05:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Parallax's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes but you might get oatmeal raisin cookies instead, given the higher fiber and fruit content...its what's best for you...
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  12:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Very enlightened indeed. In the sutras of patanjali they mention something about the so call siddhis, how do those habilities work? I mean they certainly are a power that do not originate in the mind, but in the Inner Silence, but after reading patanjali, it catch up my attention, if i do samyama on certain siddhi, will that siddhi be at my disposition or will also arise as you mention when Inner Silence decides?

Yes.. siddhis do come from inner silence. After I read Yogani's book on samyama and went through the list of sutras for specific siddhis I was really excited and added 3 more sutras from Patanjali's list to the 9 existing sutras during my samyama. But, fortunately or unfortunately.. I am lazy.. and soon lost interest/gave up the idea of achieving any siddhis.

I am sure you can get any of the siddhis you focus on.. and when you have let go all the way, the siddhis will manifest themselves from your silence. And since the sutras are geared for specific qualities your physical self will be able to manifest such qualities. The qualities are very subtle.. very easy to miss at first.. esp. if you are caught in mind, and as inner silence grows, they become more and more obvious.

Couple of drawbacks to focusing on an outcome that the mind thinks its right for us.

First, in my experience, in the beginning when I would focus on one specific sutra, I realized, my attachment to the sutra and its outcome kept me bound to it. So for example, "forgiveness" as a sutra.. everyday, twice a day, kept the concept of "forgiveness" very much alive in me. Well like I said.. I am really lazy (sometimes its a blessing you know!!!).. I dropped the sutra (I can barely go through the 9!!!!). Later as I opened further I realized there really was nothing to "forgive".. it all is exactly as it is.. my need to get/give forgiveness was keeping me bound to the ego concept "forgiveness". So early on in my practice, when I did not know about the "I" and "me".. "forgiveness" sounded like the perfect sutra that would liberate me from so much pain I carried around... later when the "I" and "me" were obvious to me.. I realized, "forgiveness" as a sutra made me look outward for relief.. it made me look at how I could make things right in the outer world.. it very much kept "me", "my" pain and the reason for "my" pain alive... instead of looking within for the answers. So the point is, when we do start on our path, it is very difficult to judge what really is the best sutra to go with. That is why Yogani has a balanced series of nine sutras. Once we have progressed enough, wherein the silence is really predominant in our lives, we can decide what siddhi works the best for us and focus on it if so desired.

Second, siddhis very much keep a "me" who has this supernatural power (my power) in place. So it reinforces duality. That is why it is suggested that Siddhis be considered as scenery along the way. It is very easy to get caught up in the wonders of siddhis and get lost in them. That is why they are considered distraction. When they come to us naturally, then too it would be easy to get lost in them and start focusing our energy more on making the powers of the siddhi stronger (enforcing more and more duality) and losing sight on becoming one with God.. and people do so. Nithyananda had talked about some swamis he had met in the Himalayas who had awesome powers... but they had told him... it is wonderful having the power to teleport and levitate and read minds.. but there is something missing.. that something is being able to drop the attachment to the powers and become one with god. Don't spend your energy in seeking siddhis.. use that energy in seeking God/silence instead.. and let god/silence send the siddhis your way.

quote:
Originally posted by Ananda
in my own humble opinion even the letting go of a desire is an act toward the desire or the hope of getting smthg better or a compensation.

...letting go is letting go here and now.. there is no something better.. better is always in the future.. the best is here and right now.. let go.. and open.. what else is can we do? _/\_

Edited by - Shanti on May 07 2009 1:00:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  3:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  4:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great post Shanti thanks
Go to Top of Page

Searchtruth

Argentina
16 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  5:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Searchtruth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very good post Shanti. I think that the path towards enlightent must be a progressive one, and from my point of view maybe diving into siddhis might not be a bad idea after all if you realize on time that they are just the leaves and not the tree itseft. Maybe people who quit the spiritual path does it becuase they think that all they experience is just simply the visual cortex creating the scenery, maybe what they need is just a little experience.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  6:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Maybe people who quit the spiritual path does it becuase they think that all they experience is just simply the visual cortex creating the scenery, maybe what they need is just a little experience.

The experience is there from the first moment you meditate. It just is not in the form the mind has imagined it to be. It is hidden behind layers and layers of mind. Spirituality does not create anything new, it just reveals to us what already is.

I went through maybe a year, complaining how I did not see any progress. Reason, my mind had a set of ideas what progress looked like. I was fortunate to have members in this forum and Yogani's lessons tell me again and again and again.. do your practice like brushing your teeth.. don't look for signs of progress in your meditation, see how your practice affects your everyday life. I had a very thick head.. and it took me almost a year to stop looking for results, to stop adding practices, to stop wishing I had results like I had heard other people having at the forum. It took me another year to unlearn the clinging on to ideas.. and it took 3 years to let go.. things happened only when I let go. Actually things happened the day I started practicing, but I did not see it till I started letting go.. Most spiritual experiences (siddhis included) are beyond the mind's comprehension... as long as you are looking for it.. you will miss it.

Siddhis wont show up till you have let the mind go. Like I said, they show up at very subtle levels at first. Going after siddhis (esp. when we start our path) is going after expectations, is keeping your mind alive. Better, just practice like brushing your teeth. Then when you do experience the silence, if you are still inclined and not lazy like me you can pursue seeking siddhis. Till then I would recommend putting your energy into mediation.

Wish you the best Searchtruth. If you really are searching for the truth, meditate and get in touch with your silence. The truth is just beyond the thoughts. The truth is the silence.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000