New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fcry64

India
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  04:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit fcry64's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
hi all

from a past few days i have been experienceing extreme boredom n loss of desire to live. there is no proper reason that i can think of for this.. n its really frustrating.. the desire to know or find god is unfulfilled n that is adding to the misery of my state. i always thought of trying to become a regular practitioner of yoga but my practise was never regular.

wil this state stay on for more days? its kinda frustratin to be like this .. not able to do anethin but just saturated w/ the boredom n frustration, its kinda gettin me suicidal. any suggestions?

Edited by - AYPforum on Aug 29 2009 06:28:48 AM

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  06:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  06:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
namaste brother,

first i think it would be a good idea if you would sign yourself up for the healing samyama list in the forums.

and among the other things you can do:

pray for divine intervention...

read some inspiring stuff which was written by enlightened people... the vibe is there...

go out and search for a genuine guru you'll find one eventually... and you can visit holy places "you live in India..."

you can try Loving acceptance, and things will changes once you are thankful with gratitude to the way things are because they can be even worse... a lot worse...

you can enquire on the source of your frustration and ask why and who is experiencing that and you'll have some insights along the way; but in the end you'll reach emptiness and clarity thus peace of mind and maybe self realization.

and even better yet to be more blunt you can stop being lazy and sorry for yourself, get off your butt and force yourself to practice yoga until you get the habit going "honestly that's the best thing you can do."

light and love,

Ananda

p.s: practices work.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  09:19:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by fcry64

wil this state stay on for more days? its kinda frustratin to be like this .. not able to do anethin but just saturated w/ the boredom n frustration, its kinda gettin me suicidal. any suggestions?

It is a phase, but the trick is to realize when the phase has passed and get the body moving again. The problem I have seen is that the phase passes, but the mind kinda gets happy in that lazy state and it is hard to get moving again. If you are aware that you are no longer in this state, and force yourself to get active again, the phase will go away, else you can be stuck in it for a while. It's up to you.

And I would recommend getting into a structured practice.. even if you don't feel like it. Meditating in a structured way.. be it the AYP way of twice a day for 20 min, or any other technique you follow, will help you see through your minds desire to keep you tamasic or rajasic and help you find a way to be sattvic.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  09:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti we cross posted; yours is good advice too.

As Ananda said, find what you can be thankful for.
Most people who are bored have it too easy in life. There has to be some struggle to make life interesting. try helping people who are worse off than you.

Yoga practices MUST be regular over time to have any effect. If you were doing regular practices, I would say just hang in there, things will improve and it's only scenery, but you said you are not practicing regularly, so it must not be yoga related.
Find something in life that you can put energy into that you will enjoy.
That takes effort on your part; it doesn't just come to you from the outside.

Find something that you are interested in, that doesn't require other people or luck to make it happen. Something that you can read about and practice on your own, like making something with your hands, or providing a service for people.

Don't think this life is not important, read this post on how fortunate we are, and should be thankful for:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=6180#6180

Here's the easiest thing to do that makes a big difference today:

Find something that is physically hard that you enjoy, and do that regularly for exercise. I use dance and gymnastics; other people like bicycling, hiking, swimming, sports, weight lifting, running, etc.

Strenuous exercise will get you out of depression faster than anything. Whatever exercise you use, you have to sweat, breath hard, and have a fast heartbeat. This cures an amazing amount of things when done regularly, at least three times a week, some people say everyday.

If you are often bored in the same place like at home, get away from there - go for a walk or drive, whatever. Go someplace where people are enjoying life, or if it suits you, out in nature.

Report back here how you are doing so other people can follow your example.

Edited by - Etherfish on Aug 29 2009 09:38:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  10:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would echo what Shanti, and others have said here.

Boredom can be soul-destroying.

My advice would be to read http://www.aypsite.org/13.html and follow instructions given there for the Deep Meditation practice;watch the changes that occur within you (the inner silence...the distance gained from your suffering) and before you know it it will have become a routine.When it has become a normal part of your routine and life, you can then always report back here on how suicidal you feel.

We all have different approaches for dealing with depression- excercise ,company,spiritual friends etc .Sometimes getting out your usual comfort zones can force you to confront things about yourself that make you uneasy,flutter or insecure.

Best of Luck!
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  12:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by fcry64

wil this state stay on for more days?

I don't know, it's your state, hence you can decide how fast you might soon begin to change and this is something you can do because it is easy to......change right now, isn't it?

Edited by - karl on Aug 29 2009 2:18:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  1:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Of course its a phase.The mind creates it.
Use that state as a reason for reaching God,a reason beyond this limited experience in this material world.
Try to start reading yogani lessons and try to put it in to practice.
After some time with dm and some sb pranayama you can try some bhakti yoga and self inquiry during the day.It change your life little by little.
Join the ayp group meditation at weekends and the samyama healing group.Im sure it will help you.
Your mind creates it.It will pass.There are only some toughts and emotions that must be "cleaned".

Edited by - miguel on Aug 29 2009 2:18:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2009 :  2:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I really agree with all that has been said, very good advice..

It is a phase, and I also think that what Etherfish said about sport is correct. It gets you moving and away from the house if you're there a lot.

Self Inquiry might help also, you can try Byron Katie's "The Work" in the book "Loving What Is", it's very good for questioning your beliefs and persistent thoughts and letting go of attachment.

You can try expressing to God, the universe, your inner self or your ishta how you feel, this might raise you're Bhakti and can move things along.
Go to Top of Page

fcry64

India
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2009 :  01:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit fcry64's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for the beautiful suggestions guys. everyone. i noticed that moving away from my house n dealing with other things makes teh depression go away, but sadly as i returned home last night , it took over me again. n in the mornin as i woke up, the helpless undesiring(to continue) feeling sprang back n only increased as i continued lying in bed.

furthermore my nose remains blocked sometimes, adding to the laziness. i admit being lazy too. can't exercise heavily as i have woken up from sickness... i went for ganpati visarjan yesterday(the ending part of the ganpati festival; visargan day is on diff days) n felt good, the depression/frustration went away. as for the spiritual places visiting advice, am plannin on going to putthaparthy, bangalore - the placce where sathya sai baba resides. perhaps that might help me.
Go to Top of Page

fcry64

India
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  07:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit fcry64's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
can anyone please include me in your samyama? how do i join AYP Global Group Samyama Healing?

Edited by - fcry64 on Aug 31 2009 07:11:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  08:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....whichpage=15
Go to Top of Page

fcry64

India
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  08:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit fcry64's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  08:58:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi fcry64,
Please read the topic AYP Global Group Samyama Healing.
and you can put your request here
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  08:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Ananda.. sorry I did not see you had replied already.
Go to Top of Page

fcry64

India
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  10:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit fcry64's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks shanti. i ve' put up my request :) . dint do well today
Go to Top of Page

standingstone

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  11:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit standingstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what are you doing thats not working?

what does this boredom really feel like? (often with boredom, theres other feelings in disguise in there)

If it really is boredom, what are some things you can do to give yourself a challenge or growth experience?

Go to Top of Page

fcry64

India
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  11:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit fcry64's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by standingstone

what are you doing thats not working?

what does this boredom really feel like? (often with boredom, theres other feelings in disguise in there)

If it really is boredom, what are some things you can do to give yourself a challenge or growth experience?

feel helpless n hopeless n for half of the day i lie in bed thinking... n am running low on health.

Edited by - fcry64 on Aug 31 2009 11:37:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

standingstone

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  12:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit standingstone's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think I partially understand. you're lying in bed many hours and thinking.. and you're also concerned about your health. is there more?

helpless and hopeless means there has been too much frustration. and that something that you are doing (on some level/in your life) is not working.

are you stuck in bed? lying in bed and thinking cannot satisfy boredom or any other feeling. lying in bed for hours and hours if you dont have to would definitely lead to frustration. If you have to lie in bed as recomended by doctor thats a different thing. Im just trying to get a clearer picture of whats going on.

Edited by - standingstone on Aug 31 2009 12:20:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  1:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
feel helpless n hopeless n for half of the day i lie in bed thinking... n am running low on health.

You need to be on the bed only at night.FDuring the day you should make and effort for being active.
Choose those activities that fit with you,things that you like and bring good benefits for you.
Is very important to make and effort for knowing new people...find an activity in group that you can join every week.There are plenty of them.
I know its not easy,but sometimes why come trought this phases in life.Times of change and evolution,and we need to fight and do things that we find hard to do (but we know over the long term will be ok).
Step by step my friend,but start forgetting your sweet bed cz it becomes a very bad habit that damage you person and will power,wich leads to much suffering.
Do some sport,go to yoga classes,find a job (probably you have one,dont know...),meet new people,travel if you can,practice surf if you life near the coast,go to the cinema,read books...
and of course practice meditation also,it helps a lot!

PS-Consider doing some asanas every day,it helps a lot for being active and relax the mind.

Edited by - miguel on Aug 31 2009 1:25:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  4:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste fcry64....

Lots of good advice from lots of helpful souls here....

I would just like to add that it sounds as though you are going through a bout of "depression". The helpless/hopeless feelings while laying in bed for half of the day sounds just like me at a certain point in my life. I just couldn't find anything worth getting out of bed FOR!! Luckily for me, I snapped out of it and have yet to revisit this state. I find that states like these will persist as long as you allow them to.....and in my opinion a great way to snap out of this state is to "shake things up". I hear you saying that things are better when you aren't at home. Well, don't stay at home so much! Shake things up! Get up early, go for an early morning walk, eat breakfast at a cafe and see if you can meet someone new today. See if that helps a little.

The other thing I will suggest, and I hope you will take this with a grain of salt, is an anti-depressant medication. I went through a period of my life where I literally would basically stay in my bedroom all day...I did this for almost two whole years straight. What got me out of this "slump" was a 6 month stint on Effexor (venlafaxine) combined with some serious self inquiry and a program of "shaking things up". It worked, I downdosed off the anti-depressants 6 months later and I can honestly say that they helped me work through this period of "darkness". BUT, that said, I know dozens and dozens of people who have been on anti-depressants for over a decade and every single one of them is at least as unhappy as they were when they first started or worse. I think it is imperitive that if you decide that an anti-depressant is right for you at this time, that you use that time wisely and don't get used to the "space" that is such a huge relief while on them.

Anyways, this is likely misplaced advice I just felt I should say "I've been there" and "you are not alone". If there is anything we can do to help, we are here.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Aug 31 2009 5:29:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  03:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi fcry64

There are things you can do whilst in bed. The main problem whilst lying bed associated with your depression and laziness is your thinking mind.

How to help yourself get out of the CYCLES of thinking, which are the source of your pain and suffering?

You have had some suggestions, here are a few more. And this is targetted for when you are in bed.

Whilst lying in that bed of yours, nice and comfortable, the world going on about it's business, the business of making a living, of raising families, of looking for ways of enjoyment, of looking for the next fix, of looking for ways out of the drudge and hum drum of life.
And here are you, lying in bed, maybe not interestind in buying into all of that mayham, after all what's the point, may as well just stay in bed and be miserable there, after all its comfortable and warm and doesn't appear to require any effort.

In actual fact, there is huge effort going on there. Thinking, and all its associated bodily tensions and interactions is apparently quite energy consuming. You may realise that being miserable like that is quite energy draining. So you are expending a lot of energy lying there thinking and being miserable, don't fool yourself into thinking you are "taking it easy", you certainly are not.

Being aware of things, as they actually are - right now, in this moment - is a first step.
so bringing that "mind" of yours and centering it in your body, this powerful mind that is doing all this thinking, put it to some use whilst lying there.

Here are some mental exercises for you in bed.

1) Repeat IAM IAM IAM IAM for a few minutes, when you think about it. Each time you realise you have drifted into one of your thought cycles, just easily return to the IAM mantra. (max 40 mins throughout the full day)

2) Bring that powerful mind of yours into your breath. Focus on the breath like you would on a mantra, just continuing to come back to the breath, as it moves in and out of your body. As you drift off into thinking(which you will), just come back each time you realise it. You can do this for as long as you like.

3) As you become comfortable with being aware of your breath. Introduce the following:-
Breathing in - I breath in peace
Breathing out - I breath out depression.
Breathing in - I breath in peace
Breathing out - I breath out depression.
In peace - Out depression.
(keep repeating)

You can do the same with:
Breathing in love - breathing out tension or laziness
Breathing in love - breathing out tension or laziness

You can experiment with different things, but always breath in the good or wholesome and breath out the negitive.

Really come into your body when doing these exercises, they are really powerful and helpful. Keep repeating untill you feel wonderful

May you be well and happy

Go to Top of Page

fcry64

India
53 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  02:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit fcry64's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thansk a lot sparkle .. hoping to get back on track.
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  02:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

just had a look at this thread and felt like sharing some inspiring lines that helped me deal with such a dark/gray phase...

Live your sadness in total authenticity.

And you will be surprised that a miraculous door opens in your being. If you can live your sadness with no image of being happy, you become happy immediately, because the division disappears. There is no division any more. “I am sadness” and there is no question of any ideal to be anything else. So there is no effort, no conflict. “I am simply this” and there is relaxation. And in that relaxation is grace, and in that relaxation is joy.

All psychological pain exists only because you are divided. Pain means division. and bliss means no-division. It will look paradoxical to you: if one is sad, accepting one’s sadness how can one become joyous? It will look paradoxical, but it is so. Try it.

I am not saying try to be happy; I am not saying that, “Accept your sadness so that you can become happy” — I am not saying that. If that is your motivation then nothing will happen; you are still struggling. You will be watching from the corner of your eye: “So much time has passed and I have accepted even sadness, and I am saying ‘I am sadness”, and joy is still not coming. “It will not come that way.

Joy is not a goal, it is a by-product.

It is a natural consequence of oneness, of unity. Just be united with this sadness, for no motivation, for no particular purpose. There is no question of any purpose. This is how you are this moment, this is your truth this moment. And next moment you may be angry: accept that too. And next moment you may be something else: accept that too.

Live moment to moment, with tremendous acceptance, without creating any division, and you are on the way towards self-knowledge. Self-knowledge is not a question of reading the Upanishads and sitting silently and reciting, “Aham Brahmasmi, I am God.” These are all foolish efforts. Either you know you are God, or you don’t know it. You can go on for your whole life repeating, “Aham Brahmasmi, I am God.” You can waste your whole life in repeating it, but you will not know it.

If you know it, there is no point in repeating it. Why are you repeating it? If you know, you know. If you don’t know, how can you know by repetition? Just see the whole stupidity of it.

But that’s what is being done in this country and in other countries also, in monasteries and ashrams. What are people doing? Parrot-like repetition.

I am giving you a totally different approach. It is not by repetition of the Bible or Vedas that you will become a knower, no. You will only become knowledgeable. Then how does one come to know oneself?

Drop the division: the division is the whole problem. You are against yourself. Drop all ideals, which create this antagonism in you.

Wish you to learn from this difficult phase you are going through, like I did so many times...

Love and Peace.
Go to Top of Page

christiane

Lebanon
319 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  02:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit christiane's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, when you are active and outside your home, that is when you feel better and less depressed, try to look deeply at what you already have.
Simply see what you have already. Forget about what you are or have not.
Just shift your vision.. always see the glass of water half full not half empty..

hope this helps a little.

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  06:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christiane, those are some good helpful lines. Did you write it or are they from another source..? (who?)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000