New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  08:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm very interested in levitation. I'm currently trying to achive it through Samyama. I'm trying to get the lightness sutra working to do so some hopping and also to feel what TM-ers call "bubbling bliss". I have experienced it a few times when I started Samyama many months ago and it was amazing but then it stopped. Has anyone got experience in this field?

Thanks,
Emil

Edited by - AYPforum on Aug 25 2008 09:05:25 AM

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  1:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
maybe you are getting too attacded to levitating and in return that will not allow it to happen. If you want to see walking on water, check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ1st1Vw2kY
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  5:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Emil,

I have experienced what I think is called levitation, it comes and goes alone, but when I have had it, my feet began to wave, but I really felt the floor waving, not my feet, its very strange, once it was so strong, that I was frightened, as if wanting me to float up, and in other ocasion, I felt my chair moved to one side, and stood in that position for minutes. I don't know if its a state of the mind, its possible, cause once while on my bed, I felt the soles of my feet waving. I know that if I want this symptom back it will come again, but I have begged Shakti to remove it from me, and I think she heard me, cause I haven't felt it again (hope so). what I have felt now, is the contrary, heaviness in my body, in the lower part, as if I couldn't move. But I think this is the previous state to astral projection, well I'm just supposing, buy my symptoms have been very strange since the beginning.

Hope it helped a little bit.
Sat Nam
Neli

quote:
Originally posted by Emil

I'm very interested in levitation. I'm currently trying to achive it through Samyama. I'm trying to get the lightness sutra working to do so some hopping and also to feel what TM-ers call "bubbling bliss". I have experienced it a few times when I started Samyama many months ago and it was amazing but then it stopped. Has anyone got experience in this field?

Thanks,
Emil

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  06:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neli

You just reminded me that during the recent AYP retreat in Ireland I experienced this waviness.
I was lying in bed processing some of the goings on in the retreat and the bed and surroundings started waving.
My mind instantly went " oh that's the waviness Neli was talking about" and it disappeared.

My clear impression of it was that it was of the mind, it was akin to the type of energy experience one gets sometimes when a hand seems like it is hugh - this used to happen a lot when I was a kid.
But maybe my mind is too rigid, maybe it just passes these things off as mindplay and in dismissing them I am preventing further development. It seems to be a toss up between being grounded and not - where to draw the line??

Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  05:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Sparkle,

I think this symptom is from the mind, cause I have felt the waviness while on bed. But when I was with my feet on the floor, it was very unpleasant, like a big serpent waving inside the earth.

I think the same as you, maybe it was better not to reject it, but I was like afraid, cause it happens very abruptly, I mean when it comes its not nice, but with a kind of strong movement, that makes me feel that a big earthquake is happening.

But when the chair went to one side ?

I think its the mind trying to play games with us, but with what purpose ?

Once I meditated with a friend of mine, grasping our hands, like in a circle (3 of us) then when I got into deep meditation, it happened, and I went out of my meditation, cause it came with jerking movements, then my friend told me that my hand was up hers, I also felt air passing below my feet, I even yelled out but then the waving disappeared, and I stopped the yelling, and felt the air below my feet.

I really want to believe that its the mind, and I believe it in an 80% percent, but in the other 20 I think, "What if this is really happening and its not my mind? "

I mean where is the truth?

When I hear sounds, others hear them as well. Maybe my mind is projecting out the sounds.

Also objects jump out of its place when I'm near, but not often.

Neli

quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

Hi Neli

You just reminded me that during the recent AYP retreat in Ireland I experienced this waviness.
I was lying in bed processing some of the goings on in the retreat and the bed and surroundings started waving.
My mind instantly went " oh that's the waviness Neli was talking about" and it disappeared.

My clear impression of it was that it was of the mind, it was akin to the type of energy experience one gets sometimes when a hand seems like it is hugh - this used to happen a lot when I was a kid.
But maybe my mind is too rigid, maybe it just passes these things off as mindplay and in dismissing them I am preventing further development. It seems to be a toss up between being grounded and not - where to draw the line??

Go to Top of Page

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  3:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was initiated by Maharishi into the levitation technique in 1978. It is a VERY subtle thing to get to, and involves MANY layers and levels of silence, thought, effortlessness, witnessing and internal balance between all of that. The real goal is not to actually levitate, but to experience the level of consciousness which would support such mastery of mind, body and natural law. The body may or may not physically move, and that may happen through actual muscular movement or not--many different things can occur, from no physical motion to small "hopping" movements to large, effortless gliding sorts of things which seem to involve little or no muscular effort. The real thing is what you feel--yes, waves of bliss, an expansion of being into the space surrounding your body, etc. Don't worry about what happens--just be silent and allow the body to feel lightness. After that, enjoy...
Michael
Go to Top of Page

glagbo

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  11:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit glagbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mikkiji
The real goal is not to actually levitate, but to experience the level of consciousness which would support such mastery of mind, body and natural law.

Spoken like a true master, mikkiji! Yes!, and with the requisite finessing around the paradox/koan/cath22.

IMHO, another term often used, "Yogic flight", is a more appropriate, descriptive term for this practice. It directly conveys the idea of developping an internal mastery of flying/moving the stillness/awareness (and its progressively grosser manifestations) into (inner and possibly outer) space from the state of Yoga.

In a sense, any level of actual weightlessness, which by the way has never been formally documented by "outside" observation, is somewhat irrelevent to the yogic goal of the practice, which is developing mastery of stillness in action.

Many a one have developed strong attachments to the distractive scenery of outer/physical manifestation of the lightness sutra, instead of sitting in stillness and favoring the internal mechanisms of the practice. They eventually come around to doing the yogically right thing, often after decades of almost hopping themselves out of an otherwise smooth process.

Have a Smooth Flight,

BRV.

Edited by - glagbo on Sep 03 2008 01:30:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  09:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi you guys,

I have read that this ability (the ability to manipulate the weight of an object) was something that the ancient Egyptians used to build the pyramids.

Just thought I would throw that in.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  12:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mikkiji,
I have a few friends who have gone through the same initiation as you have. They call it TM-Sidhi. They went to a 2 weeks retreat and came back jumping up and down. I'm wondering how can one go through all of those levels of silence which you mentioned in such a short period of time? How many hours do they practice in that retreat?
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  12:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Glagbo,
I understand your point. Yet I've found that often staying away from what you like can turn it into an obsession which would in turn be a life long distraction. Specially if you're an ADHD or the kind
I'm personally not interested in using levitation for traveling. I think plains are more comfy for that matter. I'm interested in experiencing that bliss and lightness which I'm not feeling at the moment when I practice the lightness sutra.

Edited by - Emil on Sep 05 2008 10:30:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

glagbo

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  12:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit glagbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

quote:
Originally posted by Emil

Hi Glagbo,

I understand your point. ...

I'm personally not interested in using levitation for traveling. .....

I'm interested in experiencing that bliss and lightness which I'm not feeling at the moment when I practice the lightness sutra.

Hi Emil:

By "Have a Smooth Flight", I actually meant "Have a Smooth Yogic Flight". Sorry for coming through somewhat off base on that.

I think that the bliss you have experienced initially during the lightness sutra still comes up there in the system during practice, working diligently in the depth of the nervous system.

You certainly have all the bases covered with your current selection (Asanas, Pranayama, SB, DM, Samyama, etc) from the AYP Kit. I am still amazed at the ready availability of so many advanced integrated yoga practices from Yogani's AYP program.

BRV.

PS: For what it may be worth, I am one of those "friends" who have been through the TM-Sidhi program, a while back. And I feel very much at home with the expanded AYP tool kit.

Edited by - glagbo on Sep 04 2008 11:30:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  4:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by glagbo
In a sense, any level of actual weightlessness, which by the way has never been formally documented by "outside" observation,

What about David Blaine? Is that not formally documented (or as formally documented as you could get in this day and age) observations of levitation?

Not saying I believe, just playing devils advocate. (Not saying I don't believe either. Just putting it out there)

Namaste,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

glagbo

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  8:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit glagbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi
What about David Blaine? Is that not formally documented (or as formally documented as you could get in this day and age) observations of levitation?

You must be kidding, right?

Anyway, Mr Blaine is a well-known entertainer, a master prestidigitator. He uses sleights of hand, sleights of feet, careful redirection of attention, judicious light effects, and video editing to produce "Great Entertainment Magic". That is what accomplished cyber-age entertainers/prestidigitators do. They display their "magic" and the fans run to conclusions of supernatural feat, which make the magicians more entertaining.

David Blaine has never claimed to be able to actually weightlessly levitate. Thus he has not needed to be "tested" formally. It is all about good fun and entertainment. There is no need to invoke supernatural ability there; one can certainly appreciate and enjoy just the skillful prestidigitation displayed in these sophisticated magic tricks.

BRV
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  11:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So are you saying you DO or DO NOT believe it is possible to levitate?
Go to Top of Page

glagbo

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  01:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit glagbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

So are you saying you DO or DO NOT believe it is possible to levitate?

ALL that I am saying is that, as far as I know, it has not been proven formally, so far. For instance any decent bathroom scale could be used to verify any claim of human weightlessness.

IMHO, as far as extraordinary claim on human potentialities, there is no need to believe or to not believe; one just has to be "open to the possibilities", as we set out to find out for ourselves through the relevant tools. But along the way, we do have to use our discrimination to "separate the Wheat from the Chaff".

If we are willing to casually embrace any claim to the extraordinary, we may find ourselves missing out on the deeper appreciation of the unique profile of our own rising truth.

BRV.

Edited by - glagbo on Sep 06 2008 4:07:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  10:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Glagbo,
Can you tell me how long it took you to do your first hop? I'm thinking that I'm probably missing something here 'cause I haven't started the hopping stage yet :) I started my Samyama with 3 sutras and practiced that for about 3 weeks and then every 3 weeks added another 3 sutras. When I reached the maximum number I wanted to practice, (which covered all the sutras recommended by yogani plus the ones having to do with 5 senses) I added the lightness sutra to the end and increased the time every few weeks. Currently I do about 30 min of Samyama half of which is on lightness sutra and not thinking of increasing the time any further. Is that similar to how you guys started it?
Go to Top of Page

glagbo

USA
53 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  5:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit glagbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Emil:

You might want to review the following lesson

Lesson 155 - Q&A – Samyama: Lightness, lurching … and levitation? on the physical manifestations of the AYP lightness sutra.

BRV.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  5:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally think that ANYTHING is possible. If you can imagine it, you can do it. Modern science disproves itself daily, so why would I measure the believable by science? Science is so far behind it thinks it's in first. What we are talking about here is the hidden potential of humankind. (or maybe of life? Who knows?) I truely think that it is possible to levitate, but I truly believe that if you WERE able to levitate you most likely would not be using your "powers" to show off to other people how cool you are. THAT is why there is no "formal proof" as you put it. You may one day get to a point where you can sit on your bathroom scale and read on it 3lbs, when it should say 183lbs, but by that point I can almost guarantee that you would not give a sh*t about it, and you certainly wouldn't be running out the door to grab a friend and show him/her you're new found siddhi's. This brings me back to the point of David Blaine. I personally believe that David Blaine CAN levitate, and CAN turn himself to "stone", and CAN do many of the other yogic "tricks" that he seems to perform on video. These things have been written about for millenia in yogic literature, including how to achieve them once you have a certain amount of inner silence etc. Why do people have to automatically dismiss everything they don't understand/can't prove? I'm not saying that I know for 100% sure that David Blain is not pulling "tricks", but some of the stunts I have seen performed (1 time in person, the rest on video) I can not explain except through mastery of some yogic siddhi's. I'm not saying that everything he does is real either. I'm just saying that I truely do believe that D.B. can levitate and become the opposite, solid like a tree. I have seen him do it with my own eyes and there is no way to logically explain it without including yogic siddhi's in the explaination. The REAL question in my mind is not about whether he can really do it, it is WHY is he doing it? Like I said before, I really believe that someone with the abilities that D.B. has would not go around showing off to others unless it wasn't real, or wasn't going to last very long. I wonder if D.B. expects his powers to "leave" him eventually? I wonder if he is like that parable in Autobiography of a Yogi where Afzal Khan the mohammedan fakir was given the ability by a Hindu Yogi to make anything appear out of nowhere with the help of the astral being "Hazrat". He was told only to use the powers for good, and did so for twenty years before he started to abuse the powers, showing off to others and stealing their prized possessions. But soon he re-met the hindu yogi on the road and stole HIS most prized possession not realizing who he was. Only then to have his power revoked by the yogi. I will quote what I feel is a most stunningly accurate paragraph from AoaY....
"Miracles of a permanent and beneficial nature are performed by true saints because they have attuned themsleves to the omnipotent Creator. Afzal was merely an ordinary man with an extraordinary power of penetrating a subtle realm not usually entered by mortals until death."
What if David Blaine is similair to the Fakir?
Namaste,
CarsonZi

Edited by - CarsonZi on Sep 06 2008 5:44:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  05:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi CarsonZi,

Not only the Yogis levitate, also the mediums, and the saints.
Daniel Douglas Home by example, was a very good medium, and levitated for many years, floating out of the window. Also Theresa d'Avila, and many. I knew of a medium that levitated with the chair till the roof, while in trance,(a very serious case) also people that enlarge themselves to the roof, I have seen this, and its incredible, and its not "show business", I think this is greater than the levitation, and a very strange phenomena, but it happens, one has to be there to know, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this medium, enlarging himself to the roof, getting down all my
"scientific" approach, I mean with these things we have to be open, one must be there to know that is true. Like a rubber man he was taller than anyone, touching the roof and bending his body. I think these people had awakened the K energy, and they not even knew.

Neli

quote:

I personally think that ANYTHING is possible. If you can imagine it, you can do it. Modern science disproves itself daily, so why would I measure the believable by science? Science is so far behind it thinks it's in first. What we are talking about here is the hidden potential of humankind. (or maybe of life? Who knows?) I truely think that it is possible to levitate, but I truly believe that if you WERE able to levitate you most likely would not be using your "powers" to show off to other people how cool you are. THAT is why there is no "formal proof" as you put it. You may one day get to a point where you can sit on your bathroom scale and read on it 3lbs, when it should say 183lbs, but by that point I can almost guarantee that you would not give a sh*t about it, and you certainly wouldn't be running out the door to grab a friend and show him/her you're new found siddhi's. This brings me back to the point of David Blaine. I personally believe that David Blaine CAN levitate, and CAN turn himself to "stone", and CAN do many of the other yogic "tricks" that he seems to perform on video. These things have been written about for millenia in yogic literature, including how to achieve them once you have a certain amount of inner silence etc. Why do people have to automatically dismiss everything they don't understand/can't prove? I'm not saying that I know for 100% sure that David Blain is not pulling "tricks", but some of the stunts I have seen performed (1 time in person, the rest on video) I can not explain except through mastery of some yogic siddhi's. I'm not saying that everything he does is real either. I'm just saying that I truely do believe that D.B. can levitate and become the opposite, solid like a tree. I have seen him do it with my own eyes and there is no way to logically explain it without including yogic siddhi's in the explaination. The REAL question in my mind is not about whether he can really do it, it is WHY is he doing it? Like I said before, I really believe that someone with the abilities that D.B. has would not go around showing off to others unless it wasn't real, or wasn't going to last very long. I wonder if D.B. expects his powers to "leave" him eventually? I wonder if he is like that parable in Autobiography of a Yogi where Afzal Khan the mohammedan fakir was given the ability by a Hindu Yogi to make anything appear out of nowhere with the help of the astral being "Hazrat". He was told only to use the powers for good, and did so for twenty years before he started to abuse the powers, showing off to others and stealing their prized possessions. But soon he re-met the hindu yogi on the road and stole HIS most prized possession not realizing who he was. Only then to have his power revoked by the yogi. I will quote what I feel is a most stunningly accurate paragraph from AoaY....
"Miracles of a permanent and beneficial nature are performed by true saints because they have attuned themsleves to the omnipotent Creator. Afzal was merely an ordinary man with an extraordinary power of penetrating a subtle realm not usually entered by mortals until death."
What if David Blaine is similair to the Fakir?
Namaste,
CarsonZi

Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  06:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Yogibear,

Not only the ability to manipulate the weight of an object but to materialize it, I have seen this with my own eyes. The Nazca lines of Peru, also were made by someone that was in the air, otherwise they couldn't be made.

neli

quote:
Originally posted by yogibear

Hi you guys,

I have read that this ability (the ability to manipulate the weight of an object) was something that the ancient Egyptians used to build the pyramids.

Just thought I would throw that in.

Best, yb.

Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  09:56:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi glagbo,
Thanks for the link. I've read the Samyama lessons from AYP both from the website and the Samayama book. I have also visited almost every page on the internet that remotely connects to Samyama. Still something's not clicking and I'm thinking maybe I should give it another year or so. Or maybe I'm just wrong in expecting to feel the hopping bliss in every session of Samyama.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  11:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Emil,
Stop expecting ANYTHING in your practices and see what happens! You'll be floating in no time, haha.
Namaste,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  8:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarsonZi,
I agree with you in the role of expectation but at the same time I think it has more to do with karmic blockages rather than expectation. This hopping thing appears to be a tricky business to start. But as soon as it started it keeps happening whether you expect it or not. At least that's what I've heard.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  07:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Interesting videos on supernatural powers, explains how some are done, funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etSi...ture=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Kz...ture=related

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  12:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Emil,
Yes it does have a lot to do with karmic blockages. And some of those blockages may be evident in your desire to levitate. Let go of the desire and see what happens. The desire is what is holding you back. People who are TRYING to levitate don't levitate. THAT is my point. Let go and let god, and you will achieve the greatest siddhi of all...not levitation but pure unadulterated cosmic bliss. And you just might levitate too.

In Love,
CarsonZi

Edited by - CarsonZi on Sep 22 2008 4:08:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  5:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Jo-self

Very interesting videos, its good to unmask tricks, but not all of them are tricks, one has to see them to believe, I'm a ver skeptical person, but what I have seen is not a trick. People thinks that only saints can levitate but that is not true, I think getting large or short is another gift that just a very few can handle. I haven't seen anyone levitate, but the enlargement that I have seen is real, not only me saw this, but a few more strong and skeptical researchers.

quote:
Originally posted by Jo-self

Interesting videos on supernatural powers, explains how some are done, funny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etSi...ture=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Kz...ture=related

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000