Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:01:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

About 2 weeks ago I started adding the samyama practice to the end of my AYPractices. Since then I have noticed a trend and am wondering if anyone else has noticed this happening to them as well. I will start out my samyama practice fine...love, radiance, unity, they all go pretty well and my timing is pretty consistantly around 15 seconds of silence between sutra's. My issue is this....Once I get past unity, (sometimes earlier sometimes later) I start to lose the ability to determine how long has past between sutras. I will end up losing 2-3, sometimes even more, minutes inbetween each sutra, and often will completely forget which sutra or repitition I am on. Lately my samyama practices have been taking 15-20 minutes and sometimes I think I miss doing some words twice or even at all because I think I have already done them or I have run out of time. What is basically happening is I will say the word unity for example, then I will hit the silence as I let go of the word, and then 2 minutes later I realize I have not said the second unity yet, or I will forget where I am in the sutras and have to guess which word or repitition I am on. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to force myself to stay out of the silence between sutras in order to stay focused on where I am and how long I have been there? Thanks in advance for any and all input. Would like to know if I am making a mistake somehow.

In Love,
CarsonZi

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,
We have all gone through this at some point. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing.. actually, you are doing very well.

Yogani's reply here may help you: (read a few posts after this reply too... Yogani has some awesome advice.)
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi All:

This recent email exchange might be helpful:
-------------------

Q: Could you please clarify for me one subtle moment in the practice of samyama ... my "inner light" suggested me in order to refine the sutras, to initially do samyama on each of them for a bit longer, instead of just picking it for a fraction of the second. My experience shows /since my mind is not so fast yet/, that if a hold the sutra for a few seconds /2 to 5/ it refines to a much subtler level, which is on the border of my inner silence and afterwards I transcend to a deeper samadhi. Doing so, seems to leave me with a feeling of great elevation after the practice and during the day. Is it right to do so or shall I strictly abide to the fast form of sutra picking up? I cannot yet pick it up on the finest possible level immediately, it takes a bit longer for it to get there.

A: Like with the mantra in meditation, setting a fixed mode for picking up a sutra in samyama is not the preferred way to go. Due to purification and opening occurring in the nervous system over time, the sutra may sometimes tend to stretch out, and other times be barely noticed (short, faint and fuzzy). Both are correct. We just pick up the sutra at whatever level is comfortable, and let it go. It will not always be the same, and it will interfere with the natural flow of practice to try and make it a particular way. Then we may find ourselves trying to make a longer pronunciation when the nervous system is ready to lightly touch and go into stillness. And the reverse is true also. Sometimes the mind will naturally elongate a sutra a bit (you are experiencing that, right?), and we should not try and force it to be short. It is the ever-changing landscape of purification and opening within us. We just take it all in stride and easily favor our practice without trying to over-control what is happening according to some desired outcome we might glimpse. That can only work against our progress. So we just take it easy and favor the procedure of the practice.

One thing I have said about all the AYP practices is that redesigning them while practicing based on subjective experiences occurring during practice is not a good idea. The experience will always be changing, and the practice should not be changing to follow the experience. Otherwise, we will become like a leaf in the wind, changing our practice every time the winds of inner experience shift. The experience results from the practice, not the other way around. The practice is sufficiently flexible to allow a wide range of experiences. When we realize we are off into an experience (making our strategies, etc.), we just easily come back and favor the practice as we were instructed. That is nearly always the case.

The exception in AYP is "self-pacing," where we may scale back on our practice time for a while if there is excess purification and discomfort occurring in our nervous system. We self-pace with practices for maximum progress with comfort and safety. Self-pacing is an important aspect of AYP, because we are using many powerful practices in an integrated self-directed way. Self-pacing enables us to navigate with much more horse-power in practices than is possible with more rigid approaches. The result of this flexible high-powered approach is much faster progress, and with more comfort as we develop skill in self-pacing our practices effectively.

Another thing to keep in mind in sutra repetition in samyama, particularly if the pronunciation is elongating, is a tendency we all have to "contemplate" the meaning of the sutra on the conscious level of the mind. As you know, samyama is not contemplation. We just pick up the sutra and release it in stillness. Based on our long familiarity with language (in AYP, sutras are suggested to be in our first language) we know subconsciously what it is deep in our inner silence. This is where the sutra finds its manifestation -- in stillness, gradually cultivating "stillness in action."

The fruit of samyama practice is not to be found in the meaning or expression (siddhi) of any particular sutra, but in our gradually rising ability to engage as stillness in action in our daily life with all intentions we have. So, structured samyama practice is not about enunciating any particular sutra or intention, but to gradually develop the ability to naturally manifest all our intentions from within stillness in everyday life. It is about becoming stillness in action. Structured samyama practice plays a key role in bringing about the condition of abiding inner silence, ecstatic bliss, outpouring divine love, and unity ... a life filled with many small miracles, and some big ones too.

There are additional applications of samyama practice provided in the AYP Samyama book. You may find it an interesting read.

Wishing you all the best on your path. Enjoy!

The guru in is you.

Edited by - Shanti on Sep 23 2008 2:18:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  2:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti,

I didn't get too much out of the quote you gave, but the thread it came from I got much info from. Very informative. So basically, if I understand this right, it is okay for me to lose myself in the sutra's and forget where I am, because where I am is not the point of the exercise. Doing samyama period is good enough. Get as far as I can in the time frame I have, and try not to feel guilty for not finishing. Eventually if I need to I can try to shorten the 15 seconds to 5 or something if I am not able to let this just work itself out...is this correct or did I misunderstand the thread you pointed me to?

In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes you have it right. The intention when you sit for samyama should be to do it as described in the lessons.. but once into it.. it can take on a life of it's own.. so go with it. It does stabilize into a steady practice over time... but every session has a flavor of its own.. just like meditation.

The quote above was for the sutra being stretched out.. but the same I think is true for the period in between getting stretched. It is all a part of purification.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  10:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Shanti, this gives me a little more peace about it, and I know I can fully allow samyama to be what it is from now on. Thanks for pointing me to that thread. You're a doll!

In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000