Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 lucid dreaming
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eddy

USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  3:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
i've always been interested in lucid dreaming, for practically as long as i can remember... it's only latley though where i've began to really get into lucid dreaming.. i feel that working with your dreams can be extremly beneficial on the spiritual path.. as well as having an awesome time lol...

basically i just want to know what peopel think about ucid dreaming.. why lucid dreams actually happen, what you shouldn't do in reguards to becoming lucid. what actually happens when you become lucid (it feels like a spiritual experience some of the time)...

thank y o u

Edited by - AYPforum on Apr 20 2007 07:08:18 AM

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  6:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddy,

To start with, you could read more about the discussions earlier in the forum if you haven't already, you can search "lucid dreaming". Here are some of the better discussions of it:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=450

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1648

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1431
Go to Top of Page

Eddy

USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  8:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eddy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  8:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For me, lucid dreaming seems to be related to "being in the moment" during the day.
Dreams are a mix of past, present and future.
So if you put all your awareness on the moment, and fully experience it, it seems to stimulate lucid dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  07:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eddy

Ether is quite right the practice of being in the moment does stimulate very vivid dreams which can lead to lucid dreaming another trick to bring them about is to constantly ask yourself during the normal waking state “am I awake or am I dreaming” this becomes a habit which carries over into the dream state and very often stimulates lucid dreaming.

Some time ago before I came to AYP Lucid dreaming and OBE were of great interest to me and formed a major part of my practices,If you are determined to experiment with this please take care there are two major dangers with the practice, the first is sleep deprivation, Yogani talks about this in his brilliant little book “Samyama” in relation to the practice of cosmic Samyama, which can lead to Yoga Nidra or yogic sleep (the experience of being deeply asleep but aware at the same time) he says
quote:
cosmic samyama is not recommended to be used in combination with so called
lucid dreaming practices. This can cause imbalances in the nervous system leading to sleep deprivation, which is not beneficial for our health and wellbeing. If sleep deprivation is occurring in relation to cosmic Samyama, then self-pacing of the practice should be applied. We need our sleep!

This is sooo true whilst lucid dreaming your body is at rest but your mind is not and this can lead to all sorts of problems during your normal waking life, you need to sleep properly so unless you have the time to have an extra sleep period don’t do it.

The second and I believe greatest danger is the creation of false memories; lucid dreams appear so real they can trick the mind into registering them as a real time experience. Months or even years later these memories can surface and cause confusion or even mental illness so again take care.

Edited by - Richard on Apr 20 2007 07:56:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2007 :  07:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  06:03:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
here's the full text of LaBerge's book about LD: http://myko.tvujweb.cz/LaBergeSteph...Dreaming.htm
very useful, he's done a lot of scientific research on lucid dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  06:13:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, tadeas

And welcome to the forum
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  06:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum tadeas.

Interesting document thank you for sharing
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  11:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Tadeas. Thanks for posting the link to the lucid dream article. Quite a long one! I'll have to finish reading it tomorrow when I can keep my eyes open.

It *is* surprising when you are having a lucid dream, thinking you are quite awake and thinking about things and problem-solving, only to be woken up by the alarm clock and realize you were asleep after all.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  03:27:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ether wrote:
quote:
The second and I believe greatest danger is the creation of false memories; lucid dreams appear so real they can trick the mind into registering them as a real time experience. Months or even years later these memories can surface and cause confusion or even mental illness so again take care.

So true Ether, When I read tadeas's link above (thanks tadeas) I decided to try it that night. I had a very vivid dream of leaving my wife , only to wake up beside her after the dream.
It really does feel like I left her at that time, the experience was quite interesting . I can see how a lot of this kind of dreaming could create false memories.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  06:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Oops that was me louis not ether maybe i gave the impresion that it was a quote from ether sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  09:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Oops that was me louis not ether maybe i gave the impresion that it was a quote from ether sorry.
Your very nice Richard, apologising for my mistake thanks.

My mind obviously wasn't lucid enough this morning
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  09:54:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha Ha I like it

I have it from reliable sources that I have an annoying habit of not being lucid a lot of the time

Edited by - Richard on Apr 25 2007 10:01:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  4:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
actually it's a book not an article...
i wouldn't try to finish it in one evening .)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000