Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Lucid dreaming
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  12:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Richard,

my guess is that Yogani does not think it is particularly fruitful as a practice. If he thought it so, I'd say he'd have it in AYP. In fact, I think I read him say it is fascination but not particularly helpful...

>> The memories are as vivid as memories from our day to day life and difficult to separate from them, here lies the danger, false memories can be created. It could also be the perfect vehicle for the worst kind of self indulgences.

These are interesting risks to consider. A worse one perhaps is that you will be awake and then think that you are dreaming, and do something stupid.

As for indulgences though, there is another side to that question. Apparently dream experiences can be used to fulfil/release desires in certain cases. In fact, our bodies probably do that to a certain extent all the time. Paramhansa Yogananda talks about when a Yogi becomes 'causal bodied' he can fulfil his desires by 'materializing them', which I think means experience the fulfilment of them in meditation-induced dream-like-states (other people would disagree, and say it means actually materializing them). Obviously, being 'causal bodied', and the general level of purity is the important qualifier here; in general, using visualization/dreaming to fulfil desires could produce another samsara trap.

-David

quote:
Originally posted by azaz932001

In my case I had the disturbing experience of waking up three times or at least thinking I had only to find I was still dreaming.

The memories are as vivid as memories from our day to day life and difficult to separate from them, here lies the danger, false memories can be created. It could also be the perfect vehicle for the worst kind of self indulgences.

It would be interesting to hear what Yogani has to say about the practice. I am sure it could be used as a spiritual practice but I am not quite sure how.

Blessings

RICHARD

Edited by - david_obsidian on Aug 30 2005 12:59:01 PM

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  3:28:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello All,
Lucid dreaming was a bit of an awakening for me (no pun intended). It really made me much more alert during the day and as a result I became more grounded and centered. One of the techniques that I used was to ask myself during waking hours "Is this a dream?". Then your perception shifts from normal mundane earthly exisitence to more of a witness mode. Similar to Eckhardt Toll's book "The Power of Now".

Now the situation for me was that I could easily go into lucid dreaming and/or astral projection in the early morning hours after I was pretty rested. Now those hours are devoted to AYP and I am loving this over lucid dreaming. I suppose just like anything, you can get caught up in it and get distracted. I looked at it as an opportunity to explore new terrain.

With Peace,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  4:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lucidinterval1

Hello All,
One of the techniques that I used was to ask myself during waking hours "Is this a dream?". Then your perception shifts from normal mundane earthly exisitence to more of a witness mode. Similar to Eckhardt Toll's book "The Power of Now".

Now the situation for me was that I could easily go into lucid dreaming and/or astral projection in the early morning hours after I was pretty rested. Now those hours are devoted to AYP and I am loving this over lucid dreaming. I suppose just like anything, you can get caught up in it and get distracted. I looked at it as an opportunity to explore new terrain.

With Peace,
Paul

Hi Paul

Yes this was my technique as well, the other part of it was to record all your ordinary dreams that's all there is to it really.

This and astral projection was a major part of my practice before I took up AYP, The success I had with AYP sort of wiped everything like that out for me, now I think it would just be a distraction.

Blessings

RICHARD
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  7:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There you have it folks! 2 real endorsements for AYP. Who could imagine that AYP is more enriching than lucid dreams and astral projection?

It is like passing up the fruit on the tree nearby and opting to plant some seeds for the future harvest instead.....

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  10:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well here is my take on ucid dreaming as well as many experiences that pass for meditation these days as compared to AYP as wel as classic Yogic meditation.
I see many many westerners who seem very caught up in the drama of their inner imaginations be it during dream states or during meditation states etc. They can go on and on about these fascinations but as far as I can tell they seem to be more distraction than meditation. AYP and classic Yoga meditation is about inner silence and energy development. plain and simple. It is effective, and very precise and to the point. My feeling is that these other experiences can be more distraction than help, or maybe they fall more under the heading of therapy or maybe fantasy, but they are not meditation in the traditional sense.
Go to Top of Page

lucidinterval1

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  09:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Victor,

Realistically, anything may be of value as well as harm. Deep within a beautiful apple the tiny seeds contain traces of poison. The main point is not to get distracted by something that will take you away from regular daily meditation practices such as those involved in AYP.

However, I tend to think that there is some value to lucid dreams, astral projection...
In fact in "The Secrets of Wilder" the main character performs bi-location a couple of times in the book. Lahiri Mahasaya also was known to bi-locate.

Getting caught up in fantasy is not going to help us progress spiritually. However, these are areas that God has allowed us to explore. If I go into spontaneous lucid dreaming or astral projection during normal sleeping hours, I will surely explore the possibilities with prudence.

The main thing is when we sit down to do AYP, we stick with AYP no matter what else may arise. We don't get caught up in "bells and whistles", we gently return to the mantra.

With Peace and Respect,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

patelvipulk

18 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  8:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit patelvipulk's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You may like to read a nice book titled " sleep Dreams and spiritual reflections" by Sriram Sharma Acharya which can be downloaded from: http://www.awgp.org/english/books/sleep_dreams.pdf

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000