AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Maximizing Samyama practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Swami Vajra

42 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  6:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Swami Vajra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste ALL,

If "Akasha-Lightness of Air" is our "default" sutra, what is the point of doing the others? Am I misunderstanding what is meant by the term "default"?

Seems to me that indicates, if we choose, doing that one will cover all the others as well.

If this be true, why not spend the time exclusively doing "Akasha"? Would this not then maximize our time in Samyama practice?

Edited by - Swami Vajra on Jan 16 2007 7:04:11 PM

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  8:31:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Swami,
Yogani can explain this better I think... but I will try..
Each sutra has a meaning within us... and each sutra will purify us in certain ways. That is why it is important to have a range of sutras..
Like Yogani says here
quote:
As for selection and order of sutras, what you see is my best list based on covering the full range of body, heart, mind and all within and around us

So you pick each word and let in go into your inner silence.. and your inner silence knows what to do with the word..

While you do each sutra.. you may feel an attraction towards a certain sutra. If you do, then work on that sutra for the extra five mins. If you don't feel an attraction towards a certain sutra.. then Yogani suggests to work on the akasha sutra because it is very powerful... that is what is meant by default sutra..(and as per the Secrets of Wilder.. John and Devi's favorite).

quote:

Lesson 150 - Samyama practice
If there is a particular one you feel
the need to do more of, then add that on to the end and do samyama
with it for another five minutes. The cycles remain at fifteen
seconds, and we just keep going with that for five minutes, by the
clock for that last five minutes. If there is no preference, then you
can do the lightness sutra for five minutes at the end. It is very
powerful. It is a mental kundalini technique that brings much energy
up through the nervous system.

There are some excellent discussion in these threads
Samyama, picking up word or not?
questions on samyama
Samyama - Effects of each sutra?

I hope this helps.

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 17 2007 07:53:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:16:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Swami Vajra:

Excellent reply from Shanti. I would only add that "default sutra" means the lightness sutra (if no other has been selected) for single sutra usage after the entire list of sutras has been gone through in samyama. This does not mean that the sutra we do at the end replaces the rest of the list. There is no one sutra (or yogic technique) that replaces everything else. It takes an effective integration of methods and tools to achieve the full benefits of yoga.

There is more on this in the new Samyama book, plus expanded applications of samyama available to do in other parts of our practice routine, and in daily life.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Swami Vajra

42 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Swami Vajra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste ALL!

Shanti,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

The question has been thoroughly answered. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Swami Vajra

42 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  10:31:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Swami Vajra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Da Yogani,

Eternal thanks! Very much looking forward to the new book!

Thank you for being.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000