Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Samyama - Effects of each sutra?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  02:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I have some questions regarding the direct effects of specific sutras in Samyama. Let me set up the context, so that the questions make sense:

Yogani's instructions for Samyama state that for the first 5 minutes, we do 2 repetitions each of all 9 sutras. Then for the last 5 minutes, we choose one sutra that we feel we need/want to do more than the others. This one "chosen" sutra during the last 5 minutes is what I'm referring to here.

Since starting Samyama a few months ago, I've used 3 different sutras for the chosen sutra at the end (not at the same time - I would change the sutra after several weeks). The ones I've used are Health, Unity, and Radiance. The first time I used "Health", I felt a heat and light in my body that relieved some physical symptoms I was having (heart and digestive pains/discomfort). When I was using "Unity", I found myself hanging out with my friends at work a lot, being more social, etc. Normally I spend most of my time either alone or just one-on-one with a friend. But during this time, I was having group lunches and bonding with multiple people as a group. Now I'm using "Radiance", and I notice myself being more expressive. Instead of keeping all my thoughts inside, I'm reaching out more, letting my playful and goofy side come out. I'm not as afraid to look or sound stupid, so I put myself out there more. Here are the questions:

1. What are the supposed effects of each sutra?
2. What experiences have you had with individual sutras?

My focus isn't with powers or siddhis associated with the sutras, but the tangible day-to-day experiences that one could look forward to. For example, does "Love" make you more loving towards people? Does "Strength" make you stronger, and if so, then in what way? What does "Akasha - Lightness of Air" do? etc.

Any thoughts and experiences you may have would be greatly appreciated. Peace and thank you.

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  09:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cosmic:

Sounds like you are having good results with samyama. The practice is not so much about individual effects as it is about the over all effect of the full range of sutras combined -- a broad expansion of inner silence from within producing profound purification and opening in and around us. Also, the full range of sutras greatly strengthens the power of our desires and thoughts in general in everyday living. This is in tandem with the expansion of inner silence, so there is a moral quality that comes up with all of this as well. Aren't we glad?

I suggest you keep going, and not be too concerned about meanings of sutras. Your inner silence knows and that is where it is orginating, not out here...

If you would like to read a saga of samyama, expanded to Biblical proportions in modern times (why not?), check out the Secrets of Wilder novel.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 06 2006 :  10:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You know how when you go to a barber, and he nudges your head this way and that, and you don't pay much attention but sort of go along? That's how I try to approach all the practices. I'm not doing the meditation or the samyama...rather, it's work that's being done on me ("let God do your sadhana for you" is a line frequently mentioned in India and which has resonated with me).

The analogy breaks down, though, at the end of the haircut session. I don't look in the mirror at the final product. I just go out and do stuff, aware that I've got another appointment with the barber on this work in progress in a few more hours. I keep my eye out not for improvements, but for problems. If there are problems, I may need to adjust my self pacing.

And that's really it for me. Because the problem with noticing effects is you've got to be watching for effects. And watching for effects leads unavoidably to aiming for effects. And any sort of aiming conflicts with sitting passively in that barber chair like a real good customer, making things as easy as possible for the barber.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 06 2006 11:01:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  12:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani and Jim,

Thanks for putting it in perspective for me. I just couldn't help but notice that the effects I was getting seemed related to the sutra I was using. I doubt it's a coincidence. I'll continue what I'm doing, samyama-wise.

Yogani said: "Also, the full range of sutras greatly strengthens the power of our desires and thoughts in general in everyday living."

This is good news :)
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 09 2006 :  01:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic_troll
Yogani said: "Also, the full range of sutras greatly strengthens the power of our desires and thoughts in general in everyday living."

This is good news :)

Depends on your desires and thoughts.

I'm not just being flip.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  02:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Also, the full range of sutras greatly strengthens the power of our desires and thoughts in general in everyday living.

Yogani, I think I misunderstand what you say here. Do our desires and thoughts become more intense and "louder"? Or do they become more causative (or maybe both/neither)? I ask because many of my thoughts and desires are very "worldly" and can be very distracting.... especially when they go unfulfilled. Strengthening them in this case would create a greater challenge for me in my practices.

If you mean they become more causative, then I can see where the self-morally-regulating part comes into play. Thoughts and desires would be more pure from the practices, and so their effects would be more positive, yes?

Either way, I'm still going to continue the practices... I'm not too worried about it. I would greatly appreciate the clarification, though. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  09:41:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Cosmic wrote: Do our desires and thoughts become more intense and "louder"? Or do they become more causative (or maybe both/neither)?

Hi Cosmic:

Causative, but not necessarily in ways we can predict from our individual egoic level. And, likewise, the more power there is as we advance with samyama practice and our over all purification and opening, the more corresponding divine morality will be there. That is why I call the whole process "morally self-regulating." We do not have to worry about it. Samyama is a means to become a channel for divine outflow into the world -- stillness in action. This is contrary to the common belief that we are developing "personal power" with this technique. Well, it is true that it is our power, but it is about us becoming a channel for the divine need rather than the divine becoming a channel for our personal needs. That is the distinction. It is not a coincidence that surrender of each sutra to the infinite within us is the essence of the technique. It will be the ultimate outcome in all that we do -- surrender of all intentions to the divine flow. And it will flow!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  02:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I feel what you're saying, Yogani.... thank you for the clarification. becoming a channel for the divine seems the perfect remedy for feeling powerless in life. i know you may not be implying that, it's just how i feel right now.

peace
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 13 2006 :  11:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I love your "name" cosmic troll. It stands firm on the earth while also soaring beyond the sky. I like what you said, "becoming a channel for the divine seems the perfect remedy for feeling powerless in life."
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  04:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your kind words, alan. i don't know how i got it
Go to Top of Page

alan

USA
235 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  05:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit alan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My pleasure, cosmic. Thank you for those words of inspiration
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000