Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 discomfort in pelvic area after resuming practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MatthewC

Japan
13 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  03:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit MatthewC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi all,

I've just resumed my practice for a few days after about a month of doing no meditation, just some regular stretching and simple yoga for a few weeks, and then none at all for a couple of weeks after that. Yes, I got lazy and sucked into a downward spiral that saw me drinking a lot and I even smoked (for the first time in ages!)too. Anyway, after realizing how horrible I felt and how much I missed meditating I am back at it and a lot more chilled out after feeling pretty stressed out and down about work and stuff. A pretty rough time there right now.

Anyway, after resuming pranayama and meditation, with some really deep meditations too, I have had this major discomfort in my pelvic area, like a burning sensation, or leftovers from the pranayama! I have had it in the past at times, like after sessions when I could really feel the energy moving round in me during pranayama. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it might be? And relief??!! It's a bit embarrassing to talk about but easy enough here I guess, but boy, everything is just soooooo sensitive sometimes! I'm just home from a few hours in the park and feel great. I was in a shopping mall this morning and could hardly walk.

I've found walking in nature has helped (I live in Tokyo but do have a lovely park right at the doorstep so I'm lucky) and do that a lot. Had a very interesting experience too a couple of days ago when I was in major discomfort and was with my daughter who was playing in the park. With the place covered in litter, I decided to clean it up and started picking up rubbish and by the end it was pretty spotless (well, the area I was in anyway - it's a pretty big park!). Anyway, whilst I was doing this I could feel the discomfort being kind sucked out of me into the earth. It was weird but it felt like I was being relieved by Mother Earth as I helped clean her up. WHen I left the park, I felt fine.

It's nice to be back here. Not a regular poster but check in often and love the site.

Thanks,
Matthew

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  6:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Matthew,
Welcome back.
quote:
Anyway, whilst I was doing this I could feel the discomfort being kind sucked out of me into the earth. It was weird but it felt like I was being relieved by Mother Earth as I helped clean her up. WHen I left the park, I felt fine.

That is so beautiful. Yogani always says, after your practice, go out into the world and give it your best. That was very nice of you to clean up the park.. yes I am sure mother nature was very happy with you.

About the excess energy in your pelvic region, are you doing spinal breathing? That helps even out the energy excess in your system. Also, walking and anything else that is grounding.. which you are doing any way.. So I think you are on the right track. Since you went through the down phase.. and added some mud to the windshield.. it may take a bit to get back on track. Just continue what you are doing, and if the discomfort gets too much, self pace.

There is a good dicussion on self pacing going on right now. The problem was not what you have, but there were some good self pacing tips.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1104

Here are a couple of posts that may help you..
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=226
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=750

If self pacing does not help you.. let us know, maybe someone else will have a better idea... or Yogani can chime in.
Wish you all the best.
-Shanti

Edited by - Shanti on May 05 2006 6:47:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 05 2006 :  9:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Matthew,

I agree with Shanti, some self-pacing might be in order. You can try reducing your time in pranayama by 50% and your time in meditation from 0 to 50%, then you can observe the effectiveness of the self-pacing over a few days. If your symptoms lessen or go away entirely, then that was the trick.

It sounds like the grounding exercises like walking in nature are helping you.

Another handy little tool for stubborn blockages is at the end of practices during the rest period, you can bring your awareness into the discomfort and try to find its source. Being very aware of the physical location of the source of your discomfort and breathing and relaxing in to it can really help it to dissipate.

Good luck,

A
Go to Top of Page

MatthewC

Japan
13 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  07:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit MatthewC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Shanti and Anthem for your thoughtful comments. I checked out the forum pages you suggested Shanti and they were helpful.

It's not uncommon for me to miss a couple of days every now and again just being busy but I am trying to make it like brushing my teeth. A month is a bit silly though really, kind of asking for trouble especially with the way I did it! I'm going to try and be like the violinist and make sure I take it out of the case each day, even if it is to just play a note!

I will back off a little and see what happens from there. Last night I did 50% of usual (I am only doing nights at the moment too...) and today was pretty rough again. Rainy today too, so no walks in the park to soothe things either. Just my little 2 y.o. daughter running round which is very soothing!! Hopefully tomorrow will be a little more comfortable! And Anthem I will try the awareness exercise after meditating tonight, thanks.

Thanks to both of you again.
Matthew
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  11:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Matt,

It never hurts to rule out the medical possibilities by visiting your doctor if the pain persists. Having discomfort while walking does sound a little excessive.

good luck,

A
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  12:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthem,
I thought he said this started after he went back to his meditation and pranayam, and the walking was helping him. Maybe I misunderstood. Matthew, I agree with Anthem, if this does continue, do show it to a doctor.
-Shanti

PS:
quote:
Matthew said:
like a burning sensation, or leftovers from the pranayama! I have had it in the past at times, like after sessions when I could really feel the energy moving round in me during pranayama

If you can pin point it to pranayam being the cause of this excess energy, then definitely self pace on that. Maybe even stop it and do alternate nostril breathing for a while.
Anthem or anyone else please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by - Shanti on May 07 2006 1:04:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

MatthewC

Japan
13 Posts

Posted - May 17 2006 :  07:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit MatthewC's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks SHanti and Anthem for the concern. I am back to a regular meditation / pranayama routine and things have settled down fine now. I found the asanas really helped get all the energy moving round a bit too. The awareness exercise you suggested Anthem was very helpful as well. I lied there after a session and tried it, just laying still trying to become aware of all the sensations and feelings there and it just started to feel like a rubber band unravelling in my first & second chakra area, a whole lot of tension seemed to just dissolve. These are both areas I'm working on in my life in general, along with my throat...come to think of it, what area am I not working on!! Anyway, before I start rambling, thanks again for the advice, much appreciated.
Matthew
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000