AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 time
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fastcook

3 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  12:33:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit fastcook's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, I've been practicing this method of meditation for about 1 week now, after many years of just practicing anapana/breath meditation and Taoist stuff. So far I'm going through most of the "way stations" that seem to be mentioned in the classes. What amazes me though is that I swear that I've only been meditating for 15 minutes but when I finish and look at the clock 1 hour or more is gone. I don't drift off in my meditation, and for the record the meditation itself isn't always all that comfortable emotionally. But what's happening with the time? Never experienced that before.

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  02:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.

It's good stuff, a good sign...as I'm guessing you know.

But please do set an alarm of some sort (something soft, so it doesn't jar you). Twenty minutes is really all you should do - I can't explain why 'cuz I don't understand myself, but AYP meditation is absolutely more potent than other forms, which can be done for hours. More than 20 minutes is overdoing, and it will catch up with you (your non-practice life will get bumpy...if not right now, then sometime soon).

The very foundation of this practice is self-pacing, but, unsurprisingly, it seems to be the element the most practitioners are willing to drop ;)

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 26 2006 02:50:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

fastcook

3 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  03:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit fastcook's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim. I'll try out your advice about going no longer than 20 minutes. I'm guessing that this meditation is more potent than others because the internal mantra must be doing stuff I'm not yet aware of. But I get this inkling that I go off to some other place in my meditations where time goes faster?
I've got another query if I may. Perhaps it because I've just started this but I'm noticing that there are some aversive feelings coming up, just kind of distasteful - best word I can think of - can't really explain it any other way right now. Kind of behind that/cutting through it is this place where the mantra goes. I'm guessing that I should favor the mantra - but do I block out these aversive feelings or do I just let them be? I've kind of got the feeling that I could just leap down that tunnel with the mantra and lose track of my self, is that a good thing to do though? Opinions very much appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  10:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Fastcook.

"do I block out these aversive feelings or do I just let them be?"
Yogani has answers to your question in these lessons..
http://www.aypsite.org/160.html
quote:
If strong sensations or headache come in meditation stop the mantra
and just sit and let the attention be easily with the sensation. It
is obstructions dissolving, and easy attention on it without mantra
will help it dissolve. If it is too much, as you described before,
then lay down and continue to be easy with the attention letting it
be drawn to the sensation. Don't force the attention at all. Just be
easy with it. Try not to get up until the sensation subsides. Then
you will know the dissolving process has completed. Don't meditate
beyond your allotted time - that includes time spent in thoughts, on
sensations, etc. Everything that happens in the allotted time (10
minutes in this case) is considered part of meditation

http://www.aypsite.org/15.html
quote:
Sometimes physical discomfort can happen during meditation. This is
usually a symptom of the release of obstructions in the nervous
system. If it interferes with the easy process of meditation, then
pause with the mantra and allow the attention to be drawn to the
physical discomfort. Just be with it for a while. Usually, this will
dissolve the discomfort naturally. Once it does, go back to the
mantra and continue your meditation until your time is up. Count the
time you spent with your attention on the physical discomfort as part
of your meditation time. If the sensation does not dissolve, lie down
for while, until the sensation subsides. It is a good thing. A big
obstruction is going. Let it go easily, naturally. The same procedure
applies if you are overcome with a barrage of overbearing thoughts,
which may or may not be accompanied by physical sensations. If you
can't easily go back to the mantra, just be with the thoughts until
they dissipate enough so you can easily pick up the mantra again

I have just quoted bits and pieces from these lessons.. go through the entire lesson.. they have a lot of info in them.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 26 2006 :  10:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by fastcook

Thanks Jim. I'll try out your advice about going no longer than 20 minutes. I'm guessing that this meditation is more potent than others because the internal mantra must be doing stuff I'm not yet aware of. But I get this inkling that I go off to some other place in my meditations where time goes faster?

The day you understand mantra is the day you encompass practice within your mind. Don't try to figure it out...any of it. It's counter-productive. I had all of spirituality figured out by age 21, and it turned out to be just a bunch of useless mental modeling and baggage. As for the time gap, it's because you're accessing stillness, and there's less time sense there. And I shouldn't even say that, because you're just going to chew on that, and, again, it's counterproductive. I'd urge less self-consiousness and analysis, more simply doing the practices like brushing your teeth!

On your second query, stuff comes up. Muck is being scraped, and sometimes it's bumpy. Don't pay attention, just let the barber work on you. Really, Fastcook, you're doing fabulously just as you are. Don't learn more. Don't think more. Don't understand more. Just do the practices, and don't aim to block or leap or permit or DO anything. Just sit down and say "I am" a lot. Simple. Period. And let the cosmic barber trim your hair. Less you, please.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 26 2006 10:30:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

fastcook

3 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  03:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit fastcook's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice, both of you. Shanti - thanks for pointing out that lesson. I did it in my morning meditation and it worked well.

Jim, appreciate the advice about letting go of figuring it all out - but the thing is...it's one of my favorite hobbies! ;) seriously though, part of me is with you on the advantages of surrendering to the mantra, and the other part of me is beginning to twig ;)
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  06:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great reply Jim.
Less is more, less is more, less is more.Hey this could become a mantra!!!!!!!!!
L&L
Dave

'the mind can see further than the eyes'
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  09:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
fastcook - i understand about the hobby. I'm the same way. But this is the one area in my life (besides tooth brushing) where I give it a rest. And that, in fact, is its function.

riptiz - as yogani wisely noted to me in a thread a few months ago, too much letting go is a form of holding on. And too much "less is more" is still lots of stuff :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000