AYP Forum 2.0? -- RSS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  5:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, when I click on the link above it says that page can not be found.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  5:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Our Snitz consultant must have removed it today. I have been away. Would anyone like it back?

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  5:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani

yes it will be helpful to develop the reader.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  5:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,
I clicked on it when it still existed. I use Windows XP and the latest IExplorer. I saw a page, it was full of type which was surrounded by code at the beginning and end of each line of type.
Christi
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  5:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Athma_Shakti

Hi Yogani

yes it will be helpful to develop the reader.

AthmaShakti: Sorry about that. I'll see about having it put back.

Christi: That is very telling. Up-to-date XP/IE not seeing it either?

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib

316 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  6:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't have a very detailed look at it, just used something available with a small change. IE 7 sees it correctly, now. Looks pretty good.
The new file is http://aypsite.org/forum/rssfeed.asp
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2006 :  9:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about that.... I didn't have the latest version of IE after all... just updated to IE7 and checked the page... it works great.
quote:
I'm afraid I don't have a clue what all this RSS talk is about. If we can't show a simple icon that everyone can point and click for the result, it will not be implemented here. It is as simple as that.

Hi Yogani,
Forgive my ignorance, but I assume this is stuff for people who are using a webpage which integrates their emails, news items, and recent forum posts onto one (personalized) webpage. So someone who had one of these pages would have the ability to read RSS feeds anyway (either IE7 or a downloaded RSS reader), and then they could select the AYP forum site as one of the sites to receive RSS feeds (recent unread-by-them postings) from, if it was implemented as an option on the AYPforum server? So wouldn't this mean that someone not using an integration (sindicate?) webpage would just log onto the ayp forum page and see everything as it is now?
Have I got this right?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  01:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Sorry about that.... I didn't have the latest version of IE after all... just updated to IE7 and checked the page... it works great.
quote:
I'm afraid I don't have a clue what all this RSS talk is about. If we can't show a simple icon that everyone can point and click for the result, it will not be implemented here. It is as simple as that.

Hi Yogani,
Forgive my ignorance, but I assume this is stuff for people who are using a webpage which integrates their emails, news items, and recent forum posts onto one (personalized) webpage. So someone who had one of these pages would have the ability to read RSS feeds anyway (either IE7 or a downloaded RSS reader), and then they could select the AYP forum site as one of the sites to receive RSS feeds (recent unread-by-them postings) from, if it was implemented as an option on the AYPforum server? So wouldn't this mean that someone not using an integration (sindicate?) webpage would just log onto the ayp forum page and see everything as it is now?
Have I got this right?

Christi

Hi Christi,

I'll take a stab at answering (one of the few things I may know more than Yogani about - temporarily at least -- is RSS ).

I'm not fully sure I completely get your question - but I think you actually have your own answer, per your "works great!" statement about the shiny new AYP RSS Feed, as it appears in IE7.

Yes, you can visit the Forum as you always do --- but the RSS feed can make for a very nice convenience!

What we see in IE7, as the RSS Feed is exactly why I started this thread, and made the request --- it's like the Forum home page, on steroids!

(Probably a terrible analogy, but I'm goin' with it ....)

(And this next statement will show everyone how truly lazy I am! )

I actually had the AYP Forum page set as my Home Page - so I didn't even have to "go" to the Forum -- but I still wanted to be able to see updates, without having to manually click through to review each message thread.

And the main reason for this, is that there were message threads I sincerely wanted to follow - but would forget which folder / section they were part of - or, in wanting to following six or seven threads, I would forget a couple of them, and so on.

NOW - I just set the AYP RSS Feed as my Home Page (I'm actually switching back to IE from Firefox, per IE's superior RSS display capabilities) ---- and the newest messages come to me -- the 10 most recent messages (the *entire* message - I love it!), links to the folders they're in - it's awesome!

Perfect Example:

I was doing some email, so out of my browser - and clicked back to the browser -- and staring me in the face was your response to my sleep-related post in the self-pacing section (and thanks; I'll plan to respond soon --- VERY helpful thoughts and info!).

If the RSS feed wasn't set up, I'm not sure exactly when I would have remembered to check for responses.

So -- this is GREAT!

And, by the way ---- did I answer your question?

(As in: I am *not* "using a webpage which integrates their emails, news items, and recent forum posts onto one (personalized) webpage" - per what I wrote, above.)

Now, someone could potentially do that, sure ---- that's one of the benefits of RSS.

They could also (if they have a blog, for instance) - add the AYP RSS Feed to their blog.

All this data (the forum posts) is public data already - RSS just makes it a lot more convenient.

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

PS - Major kudos to whoever did the actual RSS set-up - GREAT job! The AYP RSS Feed already has more / better / more informative features than the Taobums feed I used as an example. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping for, when I requested that this feed be set up ---- THANK YOU!!

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  01:45:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"PS" - The two things I've found which seem to point to a fix for RSS display in Firefox are:

1. The terms "RSS" and "feed" cannot appear in the first 512 bytes of information (a byte is equivalent to a single character of displayed text). This is a known bug in Firefox 2.0 - and seemingly easy to fix (you just move some of the tags / code around a little, within XML parameters).

2. Implementing code for CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) effectively eliminates the problem, because it instructs Firefox how to display the feed, rather than making it "guess" - more info here:

http://cephas.net/blog/2006/11/03/r...d-firefox-20

& here

http://www.petefreitag.com/item/208.cfm

Hope this helps.

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  02:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PPS - Firefox RSS display working now (thanks!)

Some of the "slicker" features - i.e. the number of new messages in a thread, with a link - don't show up --- but the truly important data (recent messages) displays just fine!

By the way: Per the relatively rapid updating, per user activity, of the forum -- might it be possible / practical to change the number of recent messages from 10, to (say) 25 or so?

(I'm cool with 10 -- but the "10 newest" turns over fairly rapidly -- with 25, it would do so proportionately less often, is all.)

Thanks Again!

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  06:40:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to confirm: This http://aypsite.org/forum/rssfeed.asp works with
my Firefox (ver 2.0), the old content (2 days ago) didn't show up correctly.

Edit: firefox 1.5 does not work

Edited by - Wolfgang on Dec 10 2006 12:22:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  08:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kirtanman,

That answered my question... (I couldn't work out what my question was either).
So it works the same as the button already on the forum page that says "active topics" except that it shows content as well as the topic title. And someone could also get the info straight into their newsreader/ email thingy site if they want. If I've got it right now, then that's a definate good thing.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  10:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

I hope everyone is aware that there is an "active topics" link at the top of this page that pulls up all new posts (by topic) since the last visit. Any past time period can be selected as well. Using the pink folders on the main page is not a very reliable way of finding new postings. It does not always reflect reality.

As for RSS, I'll stand by the assertion that any link we place on public AYP pages must work in all browsers that can see the page, either as direct information, or a prompt to download a reader (like our recent addition of flash audio does). Keep in mind that AYP is being viewed on computers all over the world of every operating system and browser type, both new and old. The gig is global and not everyone has the latest whiz-bang browser, or has the ability to get it.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2006 :  11:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
enhanced reader is available http://www.geocities.com/athma_shakti/rssread.zip its an html file, unzip the file and open in it. since i can't paste lots of codes here, so i uploaded in geocities.

still unable to read http://aypsite.org/forum/rssfeed.asp seems some style sheets are missing. reader won't show the data until this page is available.

if its ok, i will add more enhancements later when iam free.

with Love
Kumar

Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  06:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

---------

Edited:

download this new version http://www.geocities.com/athma_shak...read_all.zip

this enhanced reader will support all the browsers including IE, firefox, netscape, opera.

other browsers like firefox is checking xsl and dtd for rssfeed.asp
i got the error "not well-formed" its pointing the DTD file related to rssfeed.asp that needs to be corrected for the reader to work.

Edited by - Athma_Shakti on Dec 11 2006 10:36:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  11:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi AthmaShakti:

It works!

Excuse me for asking, but isn't all of this RSS stuff redundant with the more robust forum "active topics" feature, which can be bookmarked by anyone?

On the HTML side, all new AYP lessons are transmitted via Yahoo group email. Anyone who wants them hot off the press can sign up for email delivery on Yahoo. New lessons are also announced on the website homepage, which links to a reverse chronological index of lessons for easy reference from the present going backwards. This is in addition to the chronological lesson indices on the website (links above). I am told setting up RSS for HTML can be a big job, something completely different from the forum RSS. How much additional navigation will be gained per hour of setup work?

Navigation has been a priority as AYP has grown, and that is why we have all that has been mentioned, plus topic index, site search, etc.

It is still not clear what practical addition this exciting and time consuming RSS discussion is leading to. Well, maybe the forum RSS holds some promise, though redundant, as mentioned, and a little tedious.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  12:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogani

Hi AthmaShakti:

It works!

Excuse me for asking, but isn't all of this RSS stuff redundant with the more robust forum "active topics" feature, which can be bookmarked by anyone?

On the HTML side, all new AYP lessons are transmitted via Yahoo group email. Anyone who wants them hot off the press can sign up for email delivery on Yahoo. New lessons are also announced on the website homepage, which links to a reverse chronological index of lessons for easy reference from the present going backwards. This is in addition to the chronological lesson indices on the website (links above). I am told setting up RSS for HTML can be a big job, something completely different from the forum RSS. How much additional navigation will be gained per hour of setup work?

Navigation has been a priority as AYP has grown, and that is why we have all that has been mentioned, plus topic index, site search, etc.

It is still not clear what practical addition this exciting and time consuming RSS discussion is leading to. Well, maybe the forum RSS holds some promise, though redundant, as mentioned, and a little tedious.

The guru is in you.

Hi Yogani,

"All will be revealed ...!"

Patiently continue your study (Googling technology terms), and your daily practices (spending time online), and before long, you will notice a new conductivity (aka enthusiasm) arising in your system ("Hey, this weird acronym-heavy Web technology is really kinda cool!") combined with a silent awareness of deeper technology truth ("Whoa ... I understand RSS! I really do! On to SaaS, SOA, AJAX, Etc. Etc. Etc.")

This awareness and energy is not to be found solely in people such as Athma Shakti, Ruirib and myself -- but is in you, as well.

And formal teachers of technology are no longer needed ("Google is our friend.") - you can chart your own course, and captain your own development - for in reality, the technology geek with the answers is not "out there" somewhere .....

The geek is in you.

PNW2*,

Kirtanman

*Peace, Namaste & Web 2.0 - I had to work a tech-ish acronym into the sign-off, somehow!

THIS POST HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE "SORRY I HAD TO" DEPARTMENT OF KIRTANMAN'S MIND.

Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  12:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The guru is in you.

Hi Yogani, Athma Shakti and All,

Okay - now that I got that other post out of my system, here are my "serious" thoughts:

ACTIVE TOPICS / RSS
I admit that I was not really converse with what Active Topics was all about -- and admittedly, it could be bookmarked and/or set as someone's home page, and (pretty much, it appears) provide the same information that the RSS feed provides. Please note, though, that this is just one side of the RSS coin - with the other side being potentially far more important to promoting AYP (more on that in a minute.)

YAHOO! NOTIFICATION OF NEW LESSONS
I was not aware that email notification for new lessons was still available via Yahoo! (and I scouted the AYP Home Page for reference to this "handy feature" and didn't see anything) - I had thought that "things Yahoo" had gone the way of the Dodo bird, as far as AYP is concerned.

AYP "ONLINE RESOURCES" PAGE?
Per those two points, maybe we should do an "Intro to AYP Online Resources" page, or something similar --- I'll be more than happy to help / take the lead with respect the content for that (and, unless there are any *other* resources I'm not aware of, I think I know most of them - and can run a draft list by Yogani for approval before it's published).

OTHER MAJOR BENEFITS OF RSS
As previously discussed, an RSS feed produces content that is much more like an "active channel" than a static web page. If desired, the AYP RSS Feed(s) can be added to services like Feedburner (some money is involved; no idea how much - but not a lot -- personal bloggers set up feeds for things like their hamster's maternity updates - so it can't cost too much.)

I believe there are RSS services that "sniff" for feeds, and can / will "pick-up" the AYP Feeds - at zero cost to AYP (not counting super-minimal bandwidth increase -- in the same way that new site visitors use a tiny amount of bandwidth, per person, per visit.)

RSS BENEFITS IN A NUTSHELL

RSS allows other people who are interested in AYP content for (potentially) a variety of reasons, to provide content that is automatically, dynamically updated through their web site or blog.

EXAMPLE: I've been thinking about starting a blog for a while -- and you can bet I'll add the AYP RSS feed(s) when I do.

As far as I know, with the Active Topics page, the best I could do would be to provide a link to that page -- where, with RSS, I can provide the actual content, displayed as all or part of a page on my blog (many - possibly most - blogs and web sites that are providing world news, or "industry news" of a specific type - are doing so via transparent RSS feeds that they've added --- and yoga / spiritual / health sites can do the same with the AYP feeds.

As tedious as it may have been (and apologies for any contributions I've made to that aspect .....) --- RSS Feeds are set up, "switched on" - and then become an essentially automatic (from the AYP side) for AYP to be promoted globally.

No one has to talk with anyone "at AYP" - they just add the feed(s).

This allows AYP content to spread in a "viral marketing" manner, that is 100% "opt in" (nothing invasive or "spammish" in any way).

For instance, let's say that my (potential) blog becomes popular as a resource for - oh, I dunno - chanting in Sanskrit, for instance (kirtan is growing in popularity, and there aren't many kirtan resources out there).

So, yoga studios and practitioners around the world, add *my* kirtan RSS feed(s) (which, being a big RSS fan, I will of course set up ) to their sites and blogs - and as a result visit my blog --- where they are exposed to the AYP RSS feed(s) --- which they can then add to their sites and blogs.

"They tell a friend -- who publishes dynamic AYP content (RSS Feeds), who tells a friend -- who publishes dynamic AYP content, who tells a friend -- who publishes dynamic AYP content ...."

KEY POINT
And sure, this can be done via links to the Active Topics page - but in that case, someone has to be motivated to click the link -- with RSS, they can see the actual content of the feed -- which is (clearly, I think) a *much* better "advertisement" for AYP than a link alone would be.

So, all in all -- this may turn out to be kind of fortuitous (if I had been a little more clear on the whole Active Topics thing, we may not have ended up having the RSS Feed(s) created -- not to mention this enjoyable conversation!

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman

PS - Once again MAJOR thanks to Athma Shakti, and whoever else did "behind the scenes" work, here (Ruirib?).

PPS - Future site-oriented conversations will probably not need to be so tedious --- this (RSS) required a lot of extra explanation, _and_ I was admittedly more verbose than needed, as I often am - and will take full responsibility for that, moving forward.

It's one thing if I'm "riffing" on certain yoga-related experiences (in other sections of the Forum) - but since this is an administrative section, dedicated to the growth of AYP - I'll do my best to respect everyone's time by self-editing more carefully, moving forward.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  1:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

Hi Yogani,

Patiently continue your study (Googling technology terms), and your daily practices (spending time online), and before long, you will notice a new conductivity (aka enthusiasm) arising in your system ("Hey, this weird acronym-heavy Web technology is really kinda cool!") combined with a silent awareness of deeper technology truth ("Whoa ... I understand RSS! I really do! On to SaaS, SOA, AJAX, Etc. Etc. Etc.")

This awareness and energy is not to be found solely in people such as Athma Shakti, Ruirib and myself -- but is in you, as well.

And formal teachers of technology are no longer needed ("Google is our friend.") - you can chart your own course, and captain your own development - for in reality, the technology geek with the answers is not "out there" somewhere .....

The geek is in you.

PNW2*,

Kirtanman

*Peace, Namaste & Web 2.0 - I had to work a tech-ish acronym into the sign-off, somehow!

THIS POST HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE "SORRY I HAD TO" DEPARTMENT OF KIRTANMAN'S MIND.

I will have to give up yoga for this, and move into one of those tech caves where they slide a pizza under the door once a day.

TGIIY
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  1:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS: By all means, go out there and build lots of feeds to AYP!
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  2:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I will have to give up yoga for this, and move into one of those tech caves where they slide a pizza under the door once a day.

Thanks for the hearty laugh Yogani.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  02:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kirtanman

Hi Yogani,

The geek is in you.

PNW2*,

Kirtanman

TGIIY

Ah ... he's seen the (flourescent) light!

They have lots of those caves around here - aka the Engineering Department of various technology (you'd be hard-pressed to throw a rock in Silicon Valley and *not* hit an engineering cave of some sort.

And - wait - there's more ---- FREE Dr. Pepper, with the pizza.

Diet _and_ Regular.

Regarding stability, the old joke goes like this:

If a Silicon Valley Engineer wants a different job, what's the one thing he has to do?

"Pull into a different parking lot."

And then there's those really big paychecks and bonuses you'd have to put up with ....

Maybe better to stay on the the World Leader of the Advanced Open Source Yoga Practices World.

I mean, it may pay less for now -- but I'm guessing the gig is usually without a lot of stress (compared "project deliverables", budgets, etc. that Silicon Valley engineers have to content with (or, at least, it's peaceful until the next time somebody throws out a barely familiar tech acronym, and everything goes scooters for a few days ....)

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

Athma_Shakti

India
81 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  07:07:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Athma_Shakti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani

Sure active topics can also be used.

yes various enhancements and navigation capabilities can be done in both sides(user/server).
----

it seems RSS may not be compatible here.

It was a good team work from all of us. I thanx for everyone in this thread, Yogani, RSS generators(is an intricate process), and Kirtanman who took the initiative.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  1:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Athma_Shakti

Hi Yogani

Sure active topics can also be used.

yes various enhancements and navigation capabilities can be done in both sides(user/server).
----

it seems RSS may not be compatible here.

It was a good team work from all of us. I thanx for everyone in this thread, Yogani, RSS generators(is an intricate process), and Kirtanman who took the initiative.

Hi AthmaShakti:

Thanks much for the work you have done on this. I hope you will leave the RSS reader up there on Geocities for anyone who would like to download it. Perhaps someday we will get into customized RSS to show things that are not easily accessible in the forums now. Obviously, a 10 post history is not going to cover everything that has gone on even in one day's time, but I'm sure there are things RSS can do that "active topics" cannot. Your work will not go to waste. Nothing ever does, especially in our yoga practices.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2006 :  2:27:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
PS -- Kirtanman, make my pizza veggie, and hold the onions. Juice is preferred over soda. How do they get the drink under the door?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000