New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  03:16:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
After several months of wanting to buy Yogani's books, but not being able to afford them, my boss gave me an Amazon.com gift certificate for Christmas. So of course, I spent it on 3 of Yogani's books (Samyama, Tantra, and Diet). I look forward to reading them and writing reviews on Amazon.

According to their confirmation, I should receive them by Christmas Eve. Which is awesome!

God bless Yogani for these wonderful books, and YOU for your daily practice. You benefit all beings through your AYP practice, whether you're aware of it or not.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, all AYP folks.

Peace out
Cosmic

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  12:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Joy to you also Cosmic! I'm so glad you will have these books!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  08:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have a great holiday, Cosmic! Merry Christmas to you too!
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  10:32:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No Deep Meditation book? That's one of the best ones! I bought a bunch of 'em to give away as presents when they first came out, and still have a few, and you're welcome to one. Shoot me your address via email if interested.

Actually, I'll send two or three if you know people who'd want to read it...
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  04:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your kind offer of sending me the books. Actually, I bought Deep Meditation a year ago, but have been unable to buy the following books as I wanted to. I agree it's a great book

Anthem has sent me the books I am missing, in response to this post (Thanks Anthem). And thanks Shanti for also offering to send me books. So thank you Jim, but I now have them covered...

This just tells me that 1.) AYP people are generous and willing to share these lessons and 2.) Therefore the practices must be working

Thank you all for your kindness and generosity.

Kathy and emc, I wish you the best holiday season...

Merry Christmas everyone!
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  5:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Cosmic!!!!

What a glorious day!
Light and Love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  8:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cosmic, glad to hear it!

Hey, if so many people are willing to send these books around, why don't we institute a buying group? Whoever's interested would commit to buying however many copies of each title, and other people can draw from that stockpile in filling out their collections (maybe some could go to libraries, too). Make sense?

Fortunately, Yogani puts out reasonably priced little booklets, rather than yachts or sports cars, so this might be a viable way to support Yogani's efforts while getting good info out there to readers who otherwise wouldn't own EVERY title (an increasing problem as there are more and more titles!).

Just an idea....
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  10:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a wonderful idea, Jim.

How exactly would it work? Would someone actually hold onto purchased books until they are requested by others? Would it be more like a fund that anyone could tap to purchase the books they need?

I like the idea of sending copies to libraries, too. Prisons, hospitals, and churches may be good candidates as well.

Those of us who've been doing these practices for a while would probably agree that this is something to share with everyone...
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  06:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think ad-hoc/informal makes the most sense. Just some of us agree to keep on hand extra copies, then we all take an even more generous approach to offering them to forumites who come around, since we know it wouldnt' get out of control and bust any single one of us. We could trade off on who does the sending at any given time. And the offer would be done publicly, rather than back channel (though address would be provided back channel), so that onlookers could see the offer and avail themselves.

It wouldn't "cut into book sales" because, of course, we'd be buying 'em at full price anyway. And if some people who could well afford every book decide to take advantage of the generosity, it's still not the end of the world. Massive abuse of the privilege would be easy to spot.

The nice result is that it'd spur those of us with a general interest in supporting Yogani's efforts AND in getting word out via a specific action to channel those desires. That's more realistic, probably, than a vague request to simply "buy books" or support via PayPal.

There are nine of these little books....I'll buy a set of one of each from Amazon. Total cost, just $100. Anyone else with me on this? The more of us that do it, the more generous we can be in throwing them around to forumites and others. And if they don't move too fast, we can donate them to libraries.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 26 2007 06:30:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  09:56:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

There are nine of these little books....I'll buy a set of one of each from Amazon. Total cost, just $100. Anyone else with me on this? The more of us that do it, the more generous we can be in throwing them around to forumites and others. And if they don't move too fast, we can donate them to libraries.

I bulk order the the books directly from Yogani Take Advantage of Quantity Discount for AYP Books and have a few sets handy to give out or mail out when required.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  10:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

I think ad-hoc/informal makes the most sense. Just some of us agree to keep on hand extra copies, then we all take an even more generous approach to offering them to forumites who come around, since we know it wouldnt' get out of control and bust any single one of us. We could trade off on who does the sending at any given time. And the offer would be done publicly, rather than back channel (though address would be provided back channel), so that onlookers could see the offer and avail themselves.

It wouldn't "cut into book sales" because, of course, we'd be buying 'em at full price anyway. And if some people who could well afford every book decide to take advantage of the generosity, it's still not the end of the world. Massive abuse of the privilege would be easy to spot.

The nice result is that it'd spur those of us with a general interest in supporting Yogani's efforts AND in getting word out via a specific action to channel those desires. That's more realistic, probably, than a vague request to simply "buy books" or support via PayPal.

Hi Jim,

Great idea, I'm all for it. I'd rather buy the books for whoever wants them right from Amazon and send directly to them, as it saves a step in the shipping process. So if people make their requests and send us their mailing info., one of us who is interested in helping share the books can just go on-line and send them out.

We would just need to communicate who's turn it was or who wanted to do it, so we didn't end up filling the request twice.

A
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  12:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are ready to spend $100 on a set of books from Amazon + SH.. order 2 sets of books from Yogani at bulk price and ship it to me. I dont mind mailing them as and when required.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  12:23:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

I bulk order the the books directly from Yogani

Shanti, yes, that's what I did with the Meditation book as well. But, per above, if we don't pay full retail, and offer these books to all comers, it will reduce Yogani's income. If we give away lots of books bought at discount price, in other words, that would eat into Yogani's profits whenever we send books to people who'd otherwise have bought the books themselves at full price. I only give my discount bulk books to people I know would not have otherwise found them or bought them themselves. Forumites are the most likely full-retail customers, however.

Anthem, of course you're absolutely right. my way is more laborious and more expensive. Yeah, let's make it an Amazon buying service. BTW, FWIW, I have Amazon Prime, which means I pay $80 per year and get free fast shipping on everything...including sending to third parties. If anyone plans to do a bunch of this...or orders from Amazon a lot, generally, it definitely pays. With no shipping cost to factor in, I buy my toothpaste, et al, from Amazon!

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 26 2007 12:26:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  1:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

Great idea, and I hope many books are given away. As you know, I did a lot of that in the past myself, but it got to be too much.

Just so you will know, the income here is not eroded by using the AYP quantity discount program referred to by Shanti above. It is 55% off suggested retail, plus shipping. The 55% is what distributors and retailers make in the traditional channels, so giving that for a quantity discount order does not affect revenue here. When Amazon (or anyone) discounts the retail price, it comes out of the 55% and does not affect AYP financially either.

The 45% publisher share comes here no matter whether the books are sold to a distributor, large retailer, or to someone using the 55% off quantity discount. The 45% covers printing and overhead expenses to run AYP, or it is supposed to -- still not there yet volume-wise. In any case, how the books are obtained has no impact on that. The more volume the better by any channel, including quantity discount.

I greatly appreciate efforts along the lines being explored. The more books we can put out there by any means, the better. Thanks!

The guru is in you.

PS: Jim -- to clarify, the soon-to-be-completed Self-Inquiry book will be #7 of the 9 Enlightenment Series books currently scheduled. The last two (Bhaki/Karma Yoga and Eight Limbs) are planned to be done by next summer. Besides the E-Series, we have the big AYP Easy Lessons Vol 1 textbook and the Secrets of Wilder novel, so there are 9 books (nearly) available so far.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  2:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, thanks, Yogani, yeah, I didn't stop to consider Amazon's (large) cut.

So the way to do it is either each of us buying bulk, sending to Shanti and letting her serve as our fulfillment warehouse, or individually ordering for people directly via Amazon. Since the former's certainly cheaper, and Shanti volunteered (thanks, Shanti), then I guess that's better. If Shanti feels overwhelmed at any time by this, we can always try a different method.

I'll start by pitching in to send some $$ to Shanti to cover postage and envelopes (Shanti, can you email me your address?). No reason she should go to the trouble and also bear that expense.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 26 2007 2:33:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  2:37:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani, I forgot the deal with the bulk ordering...can you repost the info or a link thereto? and if you don't currently discount "grab bags" of assorted titles, would you consider changing that so people can order one or more complete sets of titles at discount rate? That would make more sense for this project than individuals buying bulk of any one title. Also, let us know if it'd work best if we'd pool all into one order, since they'd all be shipped to shanti anyway (not sure we'd have sufficient takers to wind up with a bulk box of each title, though).

I'd suggest confining this to the small "how-to" book series, as anyone serious enough to want to delve into the big AYP book will find a way to buy it. And the small books are a more than good enough way to start for people...

EDIT: woops, found the link above: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1248
I see that combinations of books are ok. and since volume is the thing, it'd probably indeed be cheapest if we all combined in one order to Shanti.. However, it'd be more CONVENIENT to do it separately. What do you all think? And is anyone else interested in taking part? AYP has likely been worth more to you than the cost of a few books....plus you'd not only be giving back, you'd be spreading the know-how around!

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 26 2007 2:42:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  4:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim:

Yes, any combination of titles or quantity of books can be ordered with the quantity discount: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1248

The economics of the quantity discount are driven primarily by shipping cost from the printer in either Tennessee, USA, or London, UK, which can be quoted once a tentative order is generated. Anyone wanting to do that can just write me.

Thanks!

The guru is in you.

Note: We can now also do quantity discount orders from New Delhi with the India editions. Overseas shipping for that is not recommended.
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  6:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

This conversation is timely indeed. I was just getting ready to e-mail Yogani for more books. I give lots away for free but also have placed books in 3 retail locations and they all need more copies of Deep Meditation. So with that, Yogani please send me 40 copies of Deep Meditation. Just e-mail me with the $ amount owed with S/H and I'll get a check out to you ASAP.

Also on another related topic. Last year I started a web site called www.insilencebooks.com and attempted to sell books from there but really found out my computer skills are lacking to run a successful e-commerce business. If anybody would like to get involved with the site I AM certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks for bringing this up Jim.

Guy

Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2007 :  10:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shipping for 40 books from Tennessee to New York is less than $10.00 and there's no handling charges, THAT'S AWESOME! Yogani, please process the order.

All the best,

Guy

Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  07:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim, for bringing this up. Gives me a few ideas for what can be done in India.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  08:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

So the way to do it is either each of us buying bulk, sending to Shanti and letting her serve as our fulfillment warehouse, or individually ordering for people directly via Amazon. Since the former's certainly cheaper, and Shanti volunteered (thanks, Shanti), then I guess that's better. If Shanti feels overwhelmed at any time by this, we can always try a different method.

I'll start by pitching in to send some $$ to Shanti to cover postage and envelopes (Shanti, can you email me your address?). No reason she should go to the trouble and also bear that expense.

Sounds good to me. You or anyone else interested in donating books, can bulk order with Yogani and ask him to mail them to me.
As for $$ to cover shipping, lets see how this picks up and we can decide from there.
Thanks Jim.

How do we ask people to put in a request for the books? Email or here?

Edited by - Shanti on Dec 27 2007 09:09:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  11:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanti, the problem with forums is that nobody sees everything over time. It's hard to get people's attention in an enduring way. I'd suggest rather than trying to erect a billboard reading "here's books! come and get 'em!" that we just do what we've been doing, quietly and selectively, but do it less quietly and selectively! If it sounds, in the course of a discussion, like a poster could benefit from a book, we offer...publicly. Mention that there's a book-buying/giving consortium that would happily send a given title, and insert, at bottom, a brief invitation to others. If this happens frequently, over time, that would get the word out most effectively.

There's a thin line to walk: we don't want to make it seem like we'll just throw scads of books at anyone that asks. I mean, if someone's driving around in a Lexus and rubs his hands together at the prospect of "free stuff", that wouldn't suit me very well (even if Yogani profits the same) :). But we also don't want to make it seem like a charity thing, and embarrass people ("hey, you sound POOR...want some books?"). So maybe something like this:

----

"It sounds like you'd really benefit from Yogani's Spinal Breathing book. Here's an amazon link to it. If you're unsure it's worth investing in right now, some of the participants in this forum have pitched in to create a stockpile of AYP books, and we'd be happy to shoot you a copy. Feel free to email me for more info (click my nametag, then use the email link). The offer extends to others, as well! Also, anyone who wants to help support AYP by joining our stockpiling efforts, likewise, please email me."

----

If anyone has a better suggestion, speak up....I'm just getting the ball rolling....there are lots of ways to do this.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 27 2007 11:52:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  12:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim and All:

Sounds great!

Keep in mind that new members have to post in the forum several times before forum email is accessible (a spam defense), so publishing an email address (or emailing the person, which can then be responded to) may be appropriate.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  1:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, could use same language I used above, but swap in "email me at...." instead of "Feel free to email me for more info (click my nametag, then use the email link).

then we could create a gmail account to catch that mail (and, sigh, the inevitable spam).
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  3:41:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good Jim.

We could set up an AYPBOOK email account with gmail. People interested in helping with admin stuff for this project, can be given access to this email account.

If anyone else has any other ideas please do pitch in.

For now, lets go with this plan.

Thanks Jim.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  3:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone who promised to buy books in this thread should consider themselves ACCOUNTABLE! :) :) :)

So please go do it now. As Guy says, it's stunningly affordable. And it helps Yogani. And it helps AYP. And it helps whoever reads it. Three birds stoned for just a few bucks!

I'm assuming Yogani has Shweta's address. I'll just send money and instruct the books be sent there.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Dec 27 2007 3:55:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000