AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Stretching technique
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2006 :  5:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I haven't come across this method yet but that doesn't mean people aren't doing it. It was a natural result of practicing kechari, in my experience.

First you expell all the air from the mouth, create a suction as you would do with a straw. This causes pressure on the base of the tongue, keeping it pushed down while pulling the tongue in an upward direction.

This has been happening only lately, but when I use this method I feel tremendous stress on the frenum. Occasionally a sharp pinch or two, and there appears to be a callus forming which I assume is a sign of stretching.

The key to this method is keeping the suction in the mouth while the tongue is pulled upward by prana.

Babaly

USA
112 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  11:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Babaly's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kyman,

Yes , I have been using this too. it started naturally during meditation and it has been stretching out my frenum nicely. I'm like a millimeter or 2 away form Kechari 2... keeping on keeping on:-)

Babaly
Go to Top of Page

bliss_

25 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  4:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit bliss_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kyman, could you explain it better, I can't figure out what you are doing.

Thanx,
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2006 :  10:45:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure.

The tongue usually becomes filled with energy, it might become more erect or vibrate some. It sort of prepares itself to go back. This is seperate from the suction method, which I have no information on other than personal experience. Also, recently, when reading through some archives, I read the another person was doing that as well.

So the tongue has to be trying to go back before hand. If you are experiencing this then you will know what I mean.

An aid to this is the suction or pressure you can apply in the mouth. You can't suck the tongue backwards in its normal state, but when it is already moved by the energy to go back, the pressure does assist the tongues natural tendency to stretch itself.

Let me know if there is anything else I can add.

Edited by - Kyman on Oct 15 2006 11:01:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  4:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Let me know if there is anything else I can add.

Hi Kyman --

I'm still not quite getting the mechanics of this, myself.

I very much get (meaning both "I understand" and "this happens to me") the "Tongue Pulled Bhak[ti]" thing.

As I posted a while back in one of my Kechari-related threads, I've had this happen so strongly, that the frenum tears a bit, and bleeds [from a combination of upward / backward pull, and spontaneous, bhakti-power talabhya -- tongue thrusting forward over bottom teeth].

So that part I get, and it happens.

What I *don't* get, are the mechanics of the process you've described.

I've tried to expel air *after* the "Bhakti Pullback" happens, and create the straw-like [as if I'm drinking from a straw] suction you mention -- and basically don't feel any additional power - or possibility for it.

It almost feels like balancing precariously on one leg, and then trying to kick with the other ---- there's *less* "oomph" than there normally would be (as opposed to *more*, per this thread).

Maybe you could list the steps in a specific order - "Step 1", "Step 2" and so on .... and, if possible, in more detail.

Some of us are missing something ---- and it sounds like a cool technique (I / my tongue gets the "Bhakti Pullback" multiple times daily, and I'm still not in Stage 2 .... so I'd love to be able to use this additional tool).

Thanks!!

Peace & Namaste,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  03:19:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't make a straw shape with the tongue.

Hmm, perhaps you should look at it like you are trying to create a negative pressure in the mouth, as to restrict the tongue from going back. It will not restrict the tongue, but will put pressure on the base of the tongue to stay put. So you end up having a pull on the base of the tongue and a pull on the tip of the tongue in opposing directions. It could just be that the base of the tongue is forced to stay where it is, and this inability to stretch with the rest of the tongue is what creates the counter resistence to the tongue roll back you naturally experience.

Try experimenting when the tongue is compelled to go backwards by creating a negative pressure in the mouth. Have you ever sucked the air out of a plastic bottle and made it stick to your tongue? You do this exact same thing only without the bottle. Your mouth is the bottle, and the soft tissue tongue is the only thing in the mouth that will give way. And the only release for the pressure is upward. The pressure will still limit the base of the tongue from moving, but allow the tip to be pulled back by the energy.

Let the tongue be pulled and filled with energy, let it go back as it normally does, with the degree of force you mentioned. It is at this point where experimenting with suction may help.

But, it may be that your tongue in particular is already stretched beyond the aid of this technique, based on your person experience so far. Only you will be able to tell, so see what happens.

Your welcome!

If anyone else who is experiencing this natural, though not absolutely common place method, please offer your experiences.

Edited by - Kyman on Oct 17 2006 04:02:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

bliss_

25 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2006 :  2:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit bliss_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kyman,

Check this chapter of a book that describes all kriya yoga techniques. It seems that Talabya Kriya (stretcihng the frenum) is very similar to what you are naturally doing.

Link: http://www.kriyayogainfo.net/files/...d%20part.pdf

Check the rest of the book as well, great book
Go to Top of Page

Alexander

27 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2007 :  8:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alexander's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the exercise explained in this book really does a good job! i would recommend it everyone who wants to obtain kechari mudra.

namasté
Go to Top of Page

anirudha_sen2001

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  10:20:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit anirudha_sen2001's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Can anybody give me a detailed instruction of TALABYA KRIYA?

Thanks.

Anirudha Sen
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  10:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by anirudha_sen2001

Can anybody give me a detailed instruction of TALABYA KRIYA?

Thanks.

Anirudha Sen

Hi Anirudha,
Welcome to the forum.
You can look up these threads to find the info you are looking for.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=415
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....TOPIC_ID=216
Also, do a search on "Talabya kriya" or "Talavya kriya". There have been many discussions on this.
Hope these help.

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 20 2007 10:41:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  7:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kyman,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've managed to create a suction in my mouth and a strong pulling sensation on the frenum when I do the following:
  • Close my mouth with the tongue in its usual position on the floor of the mouth
  • Make sure my lips are sealed
  • Pull the tongue back

When doing this I feel much more strain on the freenum even though my tongue doesn't go as far as usual. More pulling can be achieved by creating suction from the back of the throat/mouth. Just keep those lips sealed.

Is this the type of suction you mentioned?
Go to Top of Page

insideout

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  7:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit insideout's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
WARNING!

The technique described above may draw blood, as it did for me. The cut I made in my frenum last week opened up by doing a couple minutes of this stretching, and micro tears have appear on the underbelly of my tongue around but not on the frenum. This is more powerful than I thought - self pacing probably required.
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  12:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds like it is achieving the desired effect.

Good point. One should also be mindful of the pressure created in the head while lengthening the tongue.
Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  02:20:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kyman,
When I do this suction action, my mouth also semi-puckers like an almost fish face. Yes, thank you, I feel the pull at the frenum. This happened on its own a few times, but I rectified it to normal, thinking I was doing something wrong since it also dries the mouth out completely.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000