Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Stage 3 K, blocking off nostrils
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ycloutier2000

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  12:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am wondering how to block off the nostrils in respect to changing the flow of breath from one nostril to the other.

I can enter stage 3 without difficulty, but eventhough my tongue is in through one of the passages on either side of the septum, sliding it in sideways, the breathing is still going on as usual through that nostril. How can that be? Also I would have thought that I would at least feel the cool aire hitting my tongue, but then I though maybe I wouldn't necessarilly feel it since the job of the nostril is also to warm the air coming in.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the right passage, since one side is wide open while the other side the passage is obstructed - this alternates depending what time of the day it is.

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  2:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
Alternate blocking of the nostrils about every 2 hours is normal in our natural state.You will also find twice a day when both nostrils are open simultaneously which I believe is midday and midnight.Once the sushumna is open both nostrils are open simultaneously on a permanent basis.Sorry I don't know your answer as I don't use kechari.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  7:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats funny. I always find it easy enough to block teh breath in one nostril at a time in kechari as long as the tongue can reach that nostril hole. Are you sure that you tongue is at the opening? In my body if I press the tip of my tongue on the upper portion of the inner nostril hole it stop the breath flow through that nostril even if the passage is not completely closed. I guess everyone is different
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2007 :  8:22:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Victor. I can close off my nostril completely with the tip of my tongue.

The only problem I have is.. during the day if I close my right nostril I have a tough time breathing in.. and at night the reverse is true.

quote:
You will also find twice a day when both nostrils are open simultaneously which I believe is midday and midnight

I have to try doing this in the mid afternoon Dave.
Go to Top of Page

ycloutier2000

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  01:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Victor, Shanti,

I'm pretty sure that Im at the inner nostril opening. I don't know where else it is I am puting my tongue into. From some anatomic diagrams, the place where i am seems to be referred to as the conchae, or something like that. From those drawings (from medical textbook) there doesn't seem to be any other place that I could be sticking my tongue into.

Could you provide any description that could confirm if we are talking about the same passage? Obviously there must be something wrong if I am still breathing through a nostriol i supposedly blocked off:)
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  11:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by ycloutier2000

Victor, Shanti,

I'm pretty sure that Im at the inner nostril opening. I don't know where else it is I am puting my tongue into. From some anatomic diagrams, the place where i am seems to be referred to as the conchae, or something like that. From those drawings (from medical textbook) there doesn't seem to be any other place that I could be sticking my tongue into.

Could you provide any description that could confirm if we are talking about the same passage? Obviously there must be something wrong if I am still breathing through a nostriol i supposedly blocked off:)

Hi Y,
Maybe your tongue needs a bit more length to block it off completely.
This is a very good picture of the nasal cavity.. and when I am in kechari.. this is what I picture my nasal cavity looks like... I can also feel all of these parts..

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhause...PA230100.JPG

If you see the nasal passage openings are elongated.. and in my case, when I first get into kechari and my tongue is still not stretched out all the way.. even though I may feel like I am blocking my nasal passage.. I can still breath... Its only after a bit when my tongue is completely stretched out can I completely block the passage.

The other thing you mentioned in your first post "I can enter stage 3 without difficulty, but even though my tongue is in through one of the passages on either side of the septum, sliding it in sideways"... try not to turn it sideways... this may do the trick. Turning sideways is required to enter stage 4, however before you have enough length to enter stage 4 the trick maybe to block it with the tongue moving straight up.. does it make sense what I am saying?

Edited by - Shanti on Jan 18 2007 11:42:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  11:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the inner nasal passages are seperated from the midline by a thin septum so I would find the midline first. if you are not right by the center perhaps you are not at the nasal passages yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000