New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  6:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
First let me thank everyone for these lessons and insights. I have been looking all my life for something that makes since and this feels right. So thank you.

Now I have been doing AYP for a little over a month.
20 min. of DM. Which feels deep/heavy/silent but nothing exciting so to speak.
10 min. of SP which I am still fine tuning but I am able to feel nerves sometimes up to my heart. I am able to feel the sensation from root to crown much better than visualizing but that is getting better.

Most of the time I am walking around with a not unpleasant pressure in my head but it's like a happy cloud. It is kinda amazing like real joy.

I also have a swirling sensation on my forehead/3rd eye most of the time.

I have not tried any other type of yoga or any real meditation techniques before AYP.

So my questions, is this normal? Is it ok for me to feel swirling sensations all day long so early in my practice?

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  7:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh and one last question. Would I be overloading or doing to much if I started doing asana yoga after AYP? Looking to do something with the wife who thinks this is all a big joke but likes the idea of the workout.
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  8:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome jonesboy!

I've had subtle sensations on and off at the 3rd eye ajna and occasionally still do during practice, though I couldn't tell you what it means or if it has any real relevance, and it must have started also around the time I took up dreaming and meditation practices. It may fade away or become less persistent over time on its own.

The lessons do encourage an asana practice, exercise, and grounding activities, all of which can be done right after a session. Have you looked at the ayp asanas starter kit or enhanced version? Those are performed right before a session since they are gentle enough to transition into sitting practices smoothly.

One way to promote others joining in is by letting them see the change and benefits in you from your practice itself.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  8:52:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have looked at it and I keep telling myself to begin the asana starter exercises. lol I did the lotus posture a few days ago during my entire 30 minute practice.. Oh man did my ankles kill me when I was done! But it was a good session that day :)

Speaking of dreaming, I know I dream, we all dream every night. I just can't remember them. Any tips? Does Yoni Mudra help with dreams at all?

Edited by - jonesboy on Mar 14 2013 9:11:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  9:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
An easy way to improve recall is to make it a habit to remember them in the morning. If the intention is too strong, it might lead to waking up after each REM stage, which is great for easy recall, but not that great for a good night's sleep.

My approach with improving dreaming is to let it develop on its own as a side-effect of the overall approach. A recent discussion on it as an example can be found here http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=12673
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2013 :  9:54:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
AumNaturel, in the lessons and around here I haven't really seen anything mentioned about working on dream recall. Can you please explain its relevance and possible contribution to spiritual practices?
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  06:26:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Jonesboy,
Adding asanas already maybe a bit early in my opinion. Swirling sensations is normal but throughout the day sounds excessive. Also I did not get the swirling sensations till almost a year and a half to 2 years into practice. But then we are all different...
If you feel really drawn towards asanas the only way to find out is to try them and see if you are overloading. Obviously if your swirling increases, head in the clud turns to headache then back off.

It is definitely too early to add Yoni Mudra.

Slow and steady is the name of the game....
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  08:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi ak33,

dream recall, dreaming, lucid dreaming, lucid sleep, yoga nidra, astral projection, OBEs are not put forth as deliberate practices in favor of getting a good night's rest, and are regarded more as effects (scenery) than causes of progress. The times they are mentioned is with respect to changes in the nature of sleep, self-pacing, and as side-effects of reaching certain milestones, such as the rise of the witness.

There's a few lessons mentioning these:
http://www.aypsite.org/17.html
http://www.aypsite.org/250.html
http://www.aypsite.org/264.html
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2013 :  10:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mathurs

Hello Jonesboy,
Adding asanas already maybe a bit early in my opinion. Swirling sensations is normal but throughout the day sounds excessive.

That is the part the is worrying me a little. I did overload this week by overreacting to a situation at work. Had me mad for 3 days. I am not like that at all. So I cut down naturally to 5/15 and that seems to have done the trick. Will stay at that pace for awhile.

My SB needs a lot of work. Does it seem harder for anyone else to do AYP in the morning? I try it when I first wake up and I have tried it after a shower. But It never seems as powerful as during the day. Yet the effects seem to be much more so.
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2013 :  05:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jonesboy,
Your recognistion that you are over-loading and therefore self-pacing is very good.
I used to and still find my afternoon/evening sessions more fulfilling. But then no point analysing it - trust that it is doing its work in the background somewhere
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2013 :  8:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Boy did I every overload. I completely misunderstood my boss at work and could not get the issue out of my head for 6 days. Two things happened. I cut back on my practice and I realized that deep underneath I never thought I was good enough. As soon as that happened all the stress went away and my joy as i call it came back. I have been going slowly with my pranayama and added the asanas from the starter kit which has smoothed things out even more.

I do have to ask one question because it is really hot. What does heat in muladhara mean? Or in the perineum area. Been going on for awhile now. After the evening practice is when I notice it the most.

Thank you for you help.
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  5:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jonesboy,
Heat is a fairly common kundalini symptom. Nothing to worry about so long as it is not causing problems.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2013 :  5:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you mathurs. No, no problems, everything is smooth now, no twirling sensation on the forehead, no joy cloud all day long. Just slow and steady, keeping it easy. I do feel good though.
Go to Top of Page

mathurs

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  06:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thumbs up!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  07:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jonesboy,

Welcome to the forum.

quote:
10 min. of SP which I am still fine tuning but I am able to feel nerves sometimes up to my heart. I am able to feel the sensation from root to crown much better than visualizing but that is getting better.

What route are you using for Spinal Breathing Pranayama?
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  11:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Right now I am doing SB with restricted epiglottis during exhalation. My breath always catches on the exhalation at my belly for two breaths it seems. I try to breath slowing on the inhalation but the prana just seems to move quickly up the nervous system. Not fighting it, just going with the flow.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems your body will grow into the correct position. Am I correct? Is that why Yogani doesn't worry so much about the perfect position because over time your body will do it naturally?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  12:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jonesboy,

Yes, your body will automatically move into a more straight position as the flow of prana becomes stronger.

What I was asking is what are the two end points that you are moving your attention between when you practice Spinal Breathing Pranayama?
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  1:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh sorry about that.

I don't concentrate on the prenium (sp) But I do focus below my tailbone to ajna. Lately when the flow gets to ajna it is almost like i hit a gong or something. No sounds but a vibration type rebound if that makes since.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  1:46:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jonesboy,

Yes, that makes sense. It can happen when the ajna chakra is activating. I was concerned that you were using the crown chakra as the upper point of the kriya as you mentioned it in your first post.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2013 :  1:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for looking out for me. No I have read enough to stay away from that. I did get pressure once during DM and stopped right there :) Since then I do feel a breeze on the top of the head every once in a while.. well once :) Reminded me of my research of sahaja yoga.

Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  2:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a little update.

The asanas from the starter kit seem to be helping alot with spreading out the energy. It is also helping with my knees and back. Good stuff!

SB: I have been doing Sambhavi for awhile. At first just naturally and now with intent. I have started to add Mulabandha to my practice but in a slow manner. Not during the entire practice yet. I have noticed that my breathing has slowed down which I will take as a good sign. What i do find interesting is the visualization during the exhale. At first it was like one of those air machines with the ball just bouncing around. Then the light turned into almost a sawing motion. Lately it jumps from chakra to chakra unless i visualize myself looking at myself from the front if that makes since. Then it is smooth.

DM: In the morning it never seems very deep. A lot of thoughts intruding. Yet I feel the effects during the day, so I know it is working. The other day I did have a good session where the I and AM was very powerful. At one point my body started to vibrate and I was like that is cool. Which of course made it go away

Almost daily now I have been feeling pressure at my crown and a breeze on top of my head sometimes. I have also been feeling pressure in my throat. I hope that means either a blockage or activation in Vishuddhi and not throat cancer The swirling in Ajna is there still but not all day long.

All in all I think things are going well. I don't seem to be overloading. I do admit that when i did overload last time the joy, compassion and love that was with me daily was very, very nice. I do miss that. The freaking out at work, not so much. It was a good thing I was able to keep it all internal for the most part.

Thank you for letting me share my experiences.

Love and Light.

P.S. I have been having more dreams or remembering them more often which is nice.

Edited by - jonesboy on Mar 29 2013 2:36:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4380 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2013 :  2:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jonesboy,

Pressure can come at the crown and it is not necessarily a problem. It can happen as the crown is opening, just like the sensation of a breeze on top of the head. If it becomes painful, then it is a problem, but otherwise, just treat is as a natural part of the process of awakening.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  11:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A little progress update:

So over the holidays I slacked and missed a couple of sessions. As a result I can no longer feel the prana moving up the spine when I do SD. Well, that didn't stop me from leaving off where I started with 10 SD, 20 DM with Sambhavi and Mulabandha. Of course I overloaded. I even told my wife it was going to happen and sure enough it lasted for two days.

So I cut back just to 20 min DM. What I have been doing to ease back is:
Morning: 20 DM
Evening 5 SD 20 DM

I am now doing 5 SD and 20 DB morning and 10 SD 20 DB always with Sambhavi. I couldn't stop that if I tried.

Gradually doing it this way has really helped bring things back and helped with the worry of overloading at work :)

As far as new sensations:

My throat, is just aggravated due to the breath restraint. It is by the adams apple in the throat.

Slight vibrations.

The hair on the back of my neck is rising. Really itchy :)

I also had one really cool experience where there was a lot of energy going around my head ( like wind circling my head). Electric like. All of this during DM.

During SD I could feel during the breath restraint going down around my body. Both the front and back and closing like a net at the perineum. It felt good. I brought my focus to my back and the feeling went away.

Thank you always for letting me share.
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  3:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear jonesboy,

Glad you are having success with self-pacing and learning to avoid overload! This is a very important part of the process.

re: throat aggravated due to breath restraint. Often when people begin with ujjayi breath they overdo or exaggerate the amount of constriction in the throat, almost to the point of snoring. That is fine to get the initial idea or feeling of it. But, once you've got it down, you can relax a bit, more like the gentle feeling when you say "hah" to clean your sunglasses. It's just a slight restriction of the airflow and does not require a lot of tension. The jaw can be relaxed.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2013 :  4:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that. You nailed excatly what I have been doing. Thank you for the correction!!
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2013 :  01:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by jonesboy

Thank you for that. You nailed excatly what I have been doing. Thank you for the correction!!

You're very welcome. glad I could help.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000