Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 psychedelic Yoga?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nobody

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  11:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit nobody's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
Recently I've read one article about Yoga; some quotes:

"...This stimulation (of the secretion process of the pineal and pituitary glands*) increases the flow of energy between the etheric body and the physical body. ... When the cells increase their activity, their vibratory rates increase, thus putting them harmonically in resonance with the higher rates of vibration on the subtle superphysical planes of energy. This process makes possible the expression of a higher level of consciousness through the glandular system, brain and nervous system. The increased physical cellular activity requires more work and activity in the etheric body to sustain the stepped-up activity of the physical body. The vibratory rate of the etheric body is thus accelerated, requiring an increased activity in the astral body to sustain and remain harmonically in tune with the etheric body. The increased vibratory rate of the astral body requires a stepped-up activity and increased vibratory rate in the mental body. This in turn more fully tunes the mental body in to the power, love and wisdom of the soul. Thus an alignment of the whole being on all planes is facilitated, and a more rapid exchange of pattern imprints and energy between the various octaves or planes of energy takes place...."
-------------------
* autor takls about physical stimulation; I thing in AYP, this stimulation is non-psysical, and it's spinal breathing(?!), and (maybe) have the same "description"?

"While the physical body is the least permanent, the densest and composed of the substance of the lowest plane, it is in terms of evolution, the newest and most highly organized in terms of structure. Therefore, a complete replica of it made out of the energy substance of the subtle planes, is an evolutionary gain for the soul and subtle bodies. When the physical body is sufficiently vivified by the influx of energy from the higher dimensions, it begins to create higher overtone reflections of itself in the akasha or energy substance of the higher planes..."

In section 'Meditation on the I AM principle' was this:

"In the practice of this form of meditation, consciousness is made to dwell upon itself. When properly and successfully practiced, this is the most powerful and highest form of meditation."

"The sound current and the light are merely the lower overtone manifestations of the pure consciousness upon which you are meditating. The more you hold your attention steady in concentration upon itself, the more the light, sound current, electrical sensations in the body, feelings of magnetic force, sensations of weightlessness, etc. will manifest automatically. If, however, you allow your attention to become distracted by any of these manifestations, then you will be subject to the limitations of the thing by which you have been distracted; and the focusing of pure consciousness will be interrupted so that all of the things which are the lower overtones and by-products of the focusing of pure consciousness, possibly including the psychic manifestation which distracted your attention, will also stop."

How close to truth are this? Can I assume that autor is mature(?) in Yoga?
I ask because of a note on the page:
"This article originally appeared as an uncopyrighted set of mimeographed sheets sometime during the late 1960's, which was freely distributed on a limited basis, probably in San Francisco."

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  1:15:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome (all the way from Bulgaria! Wow!). Love your nametag!

One somewhat digressive comment: phew! thank god wading through and understanding all that stuff is not necessary. I used to try to parse stuff like that, get things right, take a rigorously academic approach to spirituality...try to UNDERSTAND these sorts of materials. But complexity can't lead you to the promised land. It's only at the point when you really start to deeply realize this....that what you're seeking can't be found in even the most ingenious, insightful, complex, subtle thought constructs....that you get somewhere. The virtual reality box strapped to your neck exists to complicate, and the enlightenment process is simplicity incarnate.

That's why Zen masters give you little puzzles for your mind to chew on. After a while, you grow disgusted with your mind and its predictable, finite abilities. You start to realize that all calculation is miscalculation. And in a pique of disgust and anguish, you decide thinking is just the wrong tool for the job. And at that point - when you are absolutely sick of your mind - is when the good stuff happens.

Didn't mean to derail. If anyone has something interesting and insightful to say about this, I'd actually be interested in reading about it! I'm not saying such discussion is "bad"....
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  7:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It does sound very similar to AYP practices, but like Jim says, it's complicated and hard to tell. I mean you'd have to be pretty advanced to tell the difference between the astral body and the mental body, although I'm sure they are distinctly different.
I don't think complexity like this could help a lower level person like myself, and by the time I am able to understand that stuff, I'll probably know it on my own.
Nothing wrong with you reading it though if you like it. And it's interesting to speculate.

I would consider spinal breathing a physical thing, as we are learning to control prana, and it often results in physical stimulation.

His idea of IAM is different though. In AYP we don't think of it as dwelling upon ourselves. That would be the meaning of the words, but we are conscious of the sound, not the meaning of the words. it is the vibration of the sound that does something, not contemplating ourselves.

It's always hard to say what's truth in yoga and what's not. The words do sound like the guy knows something about the subject, but does he live that truth or just read a lot? Who knows.
I think the true gauge of what is useful is to see what you can gain from it that directly benefits you. Just philosophizing belongs to the 20th century. In this century we take action and
see results. So the most beneficial writing is that which gives us a direct course of action that we can test for ourselves.
Of course I'm somewhat biased, but I'm open to anything easy and effective, and have searched a long time to end up here.

Where did you get this information?
it is possible to have spiritual revelations from taking drugs as they did in San Francisco, but it's uncontrolled and you won't get far spiritually. It's good for shocking you if you're materialistic, but about all the good it does is make you resolve to live differently.

Edited by - Etherfish on Feb 21 2006 7:27:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

nobody

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  02:47:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit nobody's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I fully agree that this is unduly complicated!
But is it correct? Here I've paste some "fancy" examples, just for illustration.

Edited by - nobody on Feb 22 2006 04:46:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

trueadept

3 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  8:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit trueadept's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey "Nobody"... I am familiar with that article...of course if you put both those words together , 'psched.' & ' yoga' that article comes up a hundred times! i found it a couple years ago--probably since im experienced with 'Both' psyched. door openers as well as the Sound Current. im not sure why you 'hid' the sourse? but doesnt really matter. However, i WOULD like to find who "Sri Brahmarishi Narad" IS!!!??? his lineage, teachers, followers, his background & life experience, etc...SOooo,,,research him out and let me know!!

I myself have 'toyed' with the idea of combining the two...I know there is a lot of bias against doing so, but most the 'cultures' that project such biases are from conservative right hand india lineages and 'sin' is imbedded in its culture in some ways more the western society.

Having said that those techniques WORK and are GOOD!...but you DONT NEED drugs to achieve...! as far as to 'enhance' or 'breakthrough' other areas, quicker? that remains to be seen...again find out who this guy is...perhaps the author is ficticious and some crazed 60s gringo wrote it and conjured up a pen name??? however, again those techniques WORK...Further I am SURPRISED at the response from Yogani9 not having ANY clue/concept of the SOUNDS/NADA/SHABD/CELESTIAL MELODY, etc...per his reply to my post last week (pls view it ...it was last week or so...it is my first and ONly post since this...the REason im surprised (not critically or negatively surprise, innocently so...) is that Yogani's knowledge and techniques are vast, profound and directly capture many hidden yoga truths and methods...for the LIFE of me i can't FIGURE , comprehend HOW he could possibly MISS the SOUND? whether in his studies of literature, holy texts (any or all)
OR especially from hearing these sounds which seem so obvious?? in yoga , meditation & inward journeys ( at least to many including myself??) feedback on all this very appreciated & intriguing...Trueadept
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  9:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe 'Nobody' is writing about two separate subjects, psychedelic yoga, and the second subject Shabda Yoga; the yoga of following sound.

I think psychedelics constitute "fooling under the hood without control" that's why you can get amazing revelations but no lasting benefits. Years ago I met people who participated in the psychedelic drug experiments at the University of San Francisco right after Sandoz laboratory discovered LSD, and before it was illegal. They weren't any different from me, they just had first hand experience that reality isn't what we think it is.

Here's a definition of shabda yoga from wikipedia:
Surat Shabd Yoga or Surat Shabda Yoga is a form of spiritual practice that is followed in the Sant Mat and many other related spiritual traditions. As a Sanskrit term, surat means "soul," shabd means "word" and yoga means "union." The term "word" means the “Sound Current,” the “Audible Life Stream” or the “Essence of the Absolute Supreme Being,” that is, the dynamic force of creative energy that was sent out, as sound vibration, from the Supreme Being into the abyss of space at the dawn of the universe's manifestation, and that is being sent forth, through the ages, framing all things that constitute and inhabit the universe.

The etymology of "Surat Shabda Yoga" presents its purpose: the "Union of the Soul with the Essence of the Absolute Supreme Being." Other expressions for Surat Shabda Yoga include Sehaj Yoga (an easy path leading to Sehaj or equipoise) The Path of Light and Sound, The Path of the Saints, The Journey of Soul, and The Yoga of the Sound Current.
More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surat_Shabda_Yoga
Go to Top of Page

yogani99

USA
153 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  5:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani99's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Trueadept:

The presence of sound and other inner sensory elements is familiar, but the path mentioned is not. In AYP, inner sensory experiences are regarded as effect rather than cause in practices -- part of the scenery as we travel along on our journey home.

In some systems, nada (inner sound) is used. In AYP, mantra is used. The mantra is always available on whatever level we are. With nada, sometimes it is there, sometimes it is not -- then we are waiting... For this reason, mantra-based deep meditation with the right procedure is more efficient and effective for long term practice. That is why we use it, and regard all the comings and goings of inner experience as scenery we encounter as we cruise along the highway to increasing inner silence. Our practice remains the same no matter what the sights and sounds may be.

As for taking psychedelics, not recommended in AYP. We already have all that is necessary within us. Additives are not necessary -- more likely to be counter-productive, especially if the aim is to cultivate advanced stages of purification and opening in the nervous system.

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

trueadept

3 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  11:20:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit trueadept's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
well said Yogani

re:pschedelic 'agents' -"additives not necessary" = i agree.

re: nada , mantra and "effects" vs "cause"
I agree sometimes the sounds is 'not' there...then what.
as a "loose" practictioner of nada yoga...i myself simply go into spinal breathing or moreover , tap into the Heart/love area and that meditates me until or until not i hear the inner sound.

Having heard all the sounds... i find the Low pitch hollow hum one the most profound...in fact it sounds Most like the classic low "OOMMMM" sound but of coure the outer-lip sync version- i believe to be just that. For the anahata Omm is no match for the emulated version (i am "sure" that mantra began in an attempt to emulate the sweet inner sounds and that mantra as a path meant using these chanted sounds as a MAP symbolic of the true "juice" in the inner sounds...and transendal they are and something more profound, to me at least.

Now different then just nada yoga is 'following' the sounds into different worlds ie. 1) the sun worlds===2)moon worlds==3) astral worlds==4) soul worlds... different regions to inhabit/transcend.
Transcend being the key--probably we are saying similar things with different words?? We have to be Careful here...because terms thrown around like 'causal' 'mental' 'astral' are "ALL" found derived from Theosophy (a cultish hodgpodge that i disagree) but so significant to create a terminology that 'caught on' in the occult areas as well as Yogananda using 'astral' 'mental' planes...these are just words of contempory creation moreover by 'theosophy' which is 'hoaky' and why did yogananda , etc. use these words? my point is it and these 'planes' to transend could really be states of mind, & bliss to pass (unnamed) in i.e the advanced yoga you teach.

Kindly
Trueadept
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  1:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to inject this thought into the thread: I'm naturally inclined to nada yoga for a number of reasons. But I've resisted, for two reasons:

1. AYP is great, and AYP is enough (I do have my little extra things I do, but I stay fairly close to the path Yogani has laid out, because it's so provenly efficacious).

2. nada yoga, when you get into it, involves the crown (that's a vast oversimplification, I know). Yogani urges us not to do any work around the crown. So I simply skip it. I've learned to keenly observe Yogani's cautions, as he makes so few of them!
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2015 :  10:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000