Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 change in sleep?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  02:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
dont know how to express this..
lately sometimes during sleep...i am asleep yet i am watching my self sleeping...i know i am sleeping or that i am dreaming
...i will be sleeping but watching my mind having all kinds of thoughts..
there is no tension... the activity of the mind does not stop while sleeping and i can observe all the thoughts appearing in the mind during that sleep

dont know if it is important to mention...maybe it is simply a night where i did not sleep well??

thank you

Edited by - maheswari on Mar 12 2013 02:53:04 AM

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  06:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maha,

This is fairly common - 24/7 witnessing. Lucid dreaming is also quite common with continued practices and expansion. As long as you feel rested, nothing to do about it.

Hope you are well.

Much love to you.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  06:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks dear Kami
yes i dont feel tired the next day
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  10:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, seeing this posted on the day I have a relevant dream to the forum is good enough encouragement to post this finally, if you don't mind.

My 'change in sleep' lately during the past month or so has been one of dream incubation, although instead of being deliberate, it is more a conscious backtracking to the exact thoughts or incidents that trigger the related dream.

The specific example from last night involved meeting CarsonZi in a dream. The exact triggers here were (1) mistaking the reply http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=12669 as being from Carson then being surprised it wasn't (both names start with C and similar length, combined with speed reading and being tired not that unusual; such seemingly inconspicuous events tend to act as dream triggers due to their effect in memory), (2) reading another thread about a correction about Anusara to Hatha, (3) a distant memory reinforcing the dream theme coming from a meeting on Skype occurring maybe a week ago.

Associated dream: Suddenly I'm at a very upscale mansion, which resembles more of a castle due to the darker atmosphere combined with low ambient lighting and open-room concept circling a main hall. I know I'm supposed to be meeting him and his family, and while waiting I take the time to examine some of the artwork. One of them happens to be a large upright standing rounded stone (with some inscriptions that I can't recall) which I attribute to being of Tantric origin due to its phallic symbolism, among other smaller statues that are more clearly Hindu. Then I hear him with another guest making their way down one of the stairwells, chanting "Om" which really reverberates through the entire hall. They end up in a brawl that I recognize to be friendly. The rest of the dream I end up waiting on one of the fancy chairs, still looking around, while at least one butler stands around offering pastries that I don't bother with and instead take the chance to walk some of the stairs to explore more. The dream itself was not very vivid, but the "Om" sound was unusually clear and strong, as were some scenes of the interior and at least one of the artwork.

Example aside, my energy levels have been very low lately, not mentally but physically, and not in feeling weak but instead run down. I have had a number of cold symptoms past 3 months but nothing serious, except for once where doctor prescribed a 10 day round of antibiotics. The one thing I do regularly is my 2nd ayp routine right before bedtime, which has been ongoing for maybe 2 years now. I've never had it impact my ability to sleep, and if anything, I find it help me fall asleep quickly from being centered, quiet, and relaxed (if also somewhat worn off from so much sitting). It is a bit strange since meditation itself uses up serotonin, needed for natural production of melatonin, though maybe the dim lighting offsets some of this.

I've found extra motivation do push the evening routine back earlier, so in case of going overtime (which happens more like a rule than exception) it won't keep me going to sleep near or even past midnight. Will have to keep this habit up for a few months and see how things go from there. The good thing is this dream incubation is not affecting my dreaming 'depth' as compared to lucid dreaming, from which in the past has always been a major energy drain, consistent to the warnings in the lessons of artificially inducing lucidity over letting it happen as a by-product. A side note, I've also switched to a natural herbal toothpaste (fluoride-free) around this same time, though I avoid it from other sources (non-medical grade found in water as high as 0.4 ppm) for much longer, and doubt this small change would be responsible.

Maheswari, do let us know how that works out over time, say in a few months. I believe if such effects arise completely naturally from daily practice, they should actually help get proper restful sleep, as opposed to interfere when purposely intruding on it for some reason or another.

Edited by - AumNaturel on Mar 12 2013 10:35:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2013 :  11:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been experiencing being awake while sleeping for about a year and a half now... and it was around this time that I stopped dreaming (except while on retreats... always seem to dream every night while on a retreat). But just recently I've had a re-occurance of very strong, very vivid, very meaningful dreams every single night. Have been dreaming every night for almost 3 weeks now. What is interesting is that the dreams started coming again after leaving home and moving into a hotel for a while. Was in a hotel for 2 weeks while in the US on business and am now in a hotel for another week while in Vancouver purchasing our new home here. Am not sure if that is related or not, but I believe it is in one way or another. I'm still totally awake, even during the dreams, and am fully aware that I am dreaming, but before, there was just open space and silence, and now there is mental imagery and content like normal dreaming. One of the dreams was so elaborate, like an Oceans 11 style movie, that after it concluded I "asked" to have the dream play again and watched it in it's entirety for a second time. This may have something to do with an increasing ability, and enjoyment, in "playing" in the astral realms a bit (again) but am not sure about that either. Will be interested to see if the dreams stop again once I am back home again.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Roberto

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  1:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings all, new here to AYP. Been reading your posts for quite some time and would like to say a sincere Thanks!! This may be an area where I can share, so hopefully this will be of interest. Since like an idiot I hit ESC 2x this is an abbreviated retype.. (sob)

Been doing Don Juan/Eckankar/Lucid dreaming for ~30 years (never did peyote and found out early on that MJ is a bad for Active Dreaming as a pizza..) but noted there are several areas of convergence between the schools of thought that folks may find interesting:

(1) Losing Self Importance (hellooo Mr/Ms Ego) At the time it wasn't clear that this meant the whole Ego, but the energy saved from not constantly propping it up results in a cumulative energy "savings" that provides the necessary amount to enter into Dreaming (vs regular dreams). In the DJ school of thought "stalking" was used to observe the thought patterns of the mind--they needed to be snuck up on--you dont catch the ego With the ego... (Hellllooo Witness/Relational Self Enquiry)

(2) Stopping the World/Stopping the Internal Dialogue (hellooo suppression of Thoughts/Bodily sensations, etc). This was really hard at first (for a few years) Thru breath control/retention/restriction and using the diaphragm (Helloo Ujayi (epiglottis restriction) SBP, Khumbaka etc) this has become possible/habitual. It seems that Awareness, liking to explore the dimensions It is capable of being aware in, likes to get the show on the road asap these days.

(3) Importance of the Tongue in Dreaming. You will love this To facilitate flying, the tip of the tongue is placed on the roof of the mouth, where "an enormous repository of dreaming attention is located" Can anybody say Hellloo Kechari Stage 1 ?? Upon coming to AYP and finding that Kechari literally means To fly thru innner space, something that has been happening already for years, I knew I was on the right path. Gotta get to stage 2 !! But that is a question for another thread.. you will see me there soon.

A cool aside on the tongue while flying--It is the steering mechanism!!! Lift up to go up, left for left, etc. No Kidding !!! Test it and see. First all you need is to be aware you are dreaming. As this condition seems to be met by nervous systems rising in purity (cumulative energy or Grace tipping the scales)it would seem a natural by-product (effect, not cause, understood) of SBP and DM practices and therefore something most AYP practioners can experiment with.
After being aware you are dreaming, the next is to jump off everything --it was crazy to start with but second nature now.

Some other things that seemed crazy at first that are regularities now are having a dream within a dream (you lie down to sleep, whilst dreaming, the vividness of the resultant dream is beyond words. Also changing dreams at will, returning to same dreams. these are pretty minor compared to the dream within the dream. Anyways, scenery, I know, view with detachment and keep moving.

Yogani talks about the Union being the joining of our innner and outer dimensions. Upon resurfacing from nearly all of these experiences there is a profound feeling of "wholeness", as if there has been a glimpse of "home". I beleive that some of what occurs in dream-state is a part of this joining--from the inside out as it were. This feeling of wholeness does not take place with ordinary dreams. If one has only had regular dreams of course this will all sound like a steaming pile...kind of like enquiry of the non-relational sort

We are creators. Our ability to manifest is more direct in these finer/more subtle/higher vibratory rate dimensions. As CarsonZi tested to a degree with his replay of Oceans 11 , we can practice exercising and cultivating our intent in dreams and can allow our awareness to expand from the inside out, in addition to from the outside in, with the daytime practices.

Love to All. This is missing some stuff in the retype. You are probably all grateful..

Please respond, even if it just to say I'm an idiot as Im new here and would love to participate in some of these discussions, and you folks are some of the main participants ! (Where is that Woosa btw--Love his posts)

Namaste

Robert

Go to Top of Page

woosa

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2013 :  7:37:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Robert

No you're not an idiot - that's your ego talking! That's my excuse anyway .

It sounds like you are having an interesting journey. It's great to hear what some of us have been up to before discovering AYP. I definitely didn't have your willpower to learn lucid dreaming. I enjoy my sleep too much to do those techniques. However, it was a good job that I was wanting to touch my brain with my tongue , or else I would never have discovered this life-changing place.

All the best!

Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  5:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Robert,
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people started with some form of dreaming. It gives a different point of view on ourselves and everyday life that just about everyone can experience in a completely safe, and natural way. Such a state is also an interesting merging point between self-control and subconscious free-associations. It makes it easy to explore a setting such as a forest and also pause to take in the finest details, or let go more and induce multiple false awakenings to the point of losing touch of waking life and ordinary identity.

Much in popular literature has started out at nearly the same time, where you see related ideas among different sources where it becomes hard to tell whether they are borrowed, archetypes, or different interpretations of common intuitions or experiences. What is more clear, however, is the core practices can be traced back to some oral tradition, or written classic, even if they await translation, interpretation, or even long-term implementation as is being done here.

Seeing persistent results on dreaming from a sadhana that uses a holistic approach is very encouraging, especially when it isn't even paired with a specific method.
Go to Top of Page

Roberto

USA
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2013 :  8:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and Thanks Woosa! and AumNaturel !

It is nice to feel a part of this awesome site.

So: Before kechari Q's : My Pineal gland and Crown have been erupting lately; In my experience this is perceived as an increasing rate of vibration, or rushing, like an avalanche, in the front of my head, (Ajna?) , and then moving to the crown, where I have (had) been experiencing an electric-like current running down from about 1-2 feet above my head down into the spinal nerve. There is extreme Bliss experienced when this takes place (Bliss ?). Massive flow of tears and feelings of Joy on a massive scale. I cannot imagine what this will be once Kechari St 2 is attained. Thank you See u over the4re for questions.

Robert
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000