Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Not able to sleep after meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kart24

USA
3 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  01:21:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I meditate (mantra meditation) twice a day. Each session is 20 min.

But I am having a problem with the evening session. I feel very fresh after it and won't be able to sleep during the night even if I maintain a gap of 3 hrs between meditation and sleep time. I still feel very fresh and relaxed on the bed.

I don't want to avoid the evening session because it is very relaxing.

What should I do?

Thank you.

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  04:34:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello Karl
off course do not avoid the evening session
try doing some physical activity...asanas...walk...or run ..
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  04:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi kart24

quote:
Hi,

But I am having a problem with the evening session. I feel very fresh after it and won't be able to sleep during the night even if I maintain a gap of 3 hrs between meditation and sleep time. I still feel very fresh and relaxed on the bed.

What should I do?

Thank you.

Like Maheswari says, grounding is very important. Definitely engage in some grounding activities.

If you meditate 3 hours before bedtime and you still cannot sleep I would say it is time to self pace. So consider reducing the time you sit. Try reducing with 10 min every session for a few days and see if that changes anything. If it does.....wait a few weeks, and then if you are stable try slowly adding time back up...a couple of minutes at a time. Let there be space between the add-ons....days/weeks...whatever feels true.

All the best

PS I assume you do not do Pranayama

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  11:48:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kart24

Hi,

What should I do?

Thank you.

Welcome to the AYP forums, Kart24.

Try to do your second session sometime between 2.00 pm and 5.30 pm, before dinner, if possible. Take 5 - 10 min rest after your meditation sessions. Then after dinner take a walk.
Also, watch what you eat closer to bed time. At times having a high carb snack closer to bed time can affect your sleep.

If that does not help, like Katrine said, cut back on meditation time... esp. the evening one.
Go to Top of Page

kart24

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  12:50:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Thank you for the responses. After trying few combinations, I found that 5 min in the
morning, 5 min in the afternoon and 3 min in the evening is working for me. Anything more is causing too much alertness in the night.

But will I be able to meditate longer in the future? I don't understand why I am becoming so alert after meditation.

Edited by - kart24 on Jun 07 2011 12:55:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  1:05:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi,

Thank you for the responses. After trying few combinations, I found that 5 min in the
morning, 5 min in the afternoon and 3 min in the evening is working for me. Anything more is causing too much alertness in the night.

But will I be able to meditate longer in the future? I don't understand why I am becoming so alert after meditation.

Deep Meditation stirs up a lot of purification within. And to some it may feel like getting groggy and tired and to some it may feel like having 10 cups of coffee.

Will it stay like this forever. No. It will change a lot over time.

I am so glad you found your comfort zone. Keep at this for a bit and then once you feel stable, you can increase your meditation time (at first only the morning one) by a min or 2 at a time.
Go to Top of Page

kart24

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2011 :  1:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

quote:

Hi,

Deep Meditation stirs up a lot of purification within. And to some it may feel like getting groggy and tired and to some it may feel like having 10 cups of coffee.

Will it stay like this forever. No. It will change a lot over time.

I am so glad you found your comfort zone. Keep at this for a bit and then once you feel stable, you can increase your meditation time (at first only the morning one) by a min or 2 at a time.

Thank you Shanti. Very encouraging. I will gradually increase the time as you mentioned.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000