Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 New to AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lateinthegame

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  01:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Greetings to all,

I discovered AYP just about two weeks ago, while searching the net for a Yoga Retreat. It's funny how that came about.

I've had a daily practice of Insight Meditation for about five years, following the guidance of Western Buddhist teachers in the Theravada tradition. (Jack Kornfield, Ajahn Brahm, and others).Recently, in an effort to regain lost physical flexibilty, and at the suggestion of my spouse, I started going to a Yoga center. At the end of either my second or third session, during 'final relaxation', I found myself in such a beautiful meditative state that a light went on, as I saw how conducive the exercise was to the meditative experience. On reflection, it's odd how that connection would not be more apparent, but in my experience, there are meditators, and there are people who do Yoga or Pilates, and if they are integrating the two I haven't heard a lot of talk about it.

Anyway, I decided a nice retreat that would combine Yoga and meditation would be something nice to do this summer, and as my wife and I enjoy North Carolina and she enjoys Yoga, I searched for and found a place that looked just right - except for one issue where my wife was concerned. The place does not permit smoking on the grounds. My wife knows she needs to quit, and wants to give up the habit - but not quite enough yet to actually contemplate spending a few days in the montains without the possibility of a cigarette. I hesitated for a few days before deciding I would go by myself, but when I looked again, the retreat was full. Resuming my search, I found the AYP May Retreat in Toronto, and signed up.

Then and only then did I start to take a close look at the AYP ideas. After reading the lessons and a couple of the booklets, and trying the twice-daily 20 minute sessions as suggested, the results available from the AYP mantra-based deep meditation, even in such a short time as I've been at it, are pretty dramatic. I had felt I had reached a plateau in my previous practice, in spite of building to a daily one hour meditation, on a kneeling bench. I am definitely off that plateau, and I'm kind of excited about the possibilities.

Yesterday I began the 5-minute Spinal Breathing practice, and found that my previous practice, that stressed focusing on the breath, was a natural foundation for it.

So that's how I got here. I've enjoyed reading various posts on the forum, and look forward to getting to know you all better.

Lou

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  08:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Lou,

Yes, meditation is the foundation of yoga, with asanas as a supplement. Not common knowledge here in the US, but you can easily practice both at home. Fortunately the meditation part is easy to learn here.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  1:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Lou

It's wonderful to read about your experience. Thank you for sharing it here.

Enjoy the retreat! The one I went to in October was life transforming. You should be in for a real treat.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  2:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forums Lou!

Looking forward to meeting you in Toronto in May! (I am one of the two leaders for that retreat)

Love!
Go to Top of Page

WoodDragon

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  4:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit WoodDragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome! I am also new here and I am looking forward to my first retreat as well.
Go to Top of Page

lateinthegame

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  11:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your kind welcome.

Carson, I look forward to meeting you and to your teaching at the May Retreat.

WoodDragon, will you also be at the Toronto weekend?
Go to Top of Page

WoodDragon

USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  2:20:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit WoodDragon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas I cannot make the Toronto retreat. While I do not mind the travel (I live in the hills of Pennsylvania) I did not know about the retreat in time to get it on my schedule (which is terribly busy). I hope everyone has tremendous fun while there (not to mention Love, sharing and Joy!)!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000