Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 A secret to induce sleep? Really need help for Mom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beetsmyth

USA
104 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  11:33:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit beetsmyth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Quick run down.....

My mother has been on the spiritual quest for decades ...
Has permanent Union ......and full Awareness....

However because Awareness itself is sooooo active. Many times she can't sleep. She's literally gone 7-10 days entirely without sleep while still going to work and completely active and full of energy.

She's had this sleep issue for about 20 years now. Tried everything, ambien, tylenol pm, valerian root, kali phos, hops, Theta and other sleep cd's, pranayama's, hypnosis, etc.

So I'm writing on this board for suggestions. Specifically I remember being on here a while back and reading about a specific section in the Brain where One can practice conscious awareness of which induces sleep.

Does anyone know this part of the brain and corresponding yoga technique?

Edited by - beetsmyth on Feb 15 2011 11:39:17 AM

manigma

India
1065 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  02:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit manigma's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Has your mum discussed this with her Guru/Master?

It reminded me of this:

A Buddhist monk was brought to me. He had not been able to sleep for three years. He had been given extensive treatment but to no avail. His insomnia had defied all tranquillizers, and no treatment seemed to work on him.

No doctor had asked him what I asked him, however. The doctors all carried out the usual tests; they checked his blood pressure and did a cardiogram and then began to treat him. But this was not his trouble. This man was engaged in practising a particular meditation technique used by the Buddhists, Vipassana. He himself had chosen this meditation from the scriptures and began to practise it. A guru will take care of each and every disciple. If he develops a group exercise he will take care of the group. The scriptures cannot take care of you in this way. Scriptures can live for thousands of years, and anyone can read them his own way.

The technique of vipassana is a very old technique. This man read about it and set out to practise it. Then he began to enjoy it. As a method it is a jewel. Buddha himself used it a great deal. Once you begin to enjoy it you won't know when to stop. Enjoyment, once it become extreme, turns into poison. This man was so intoxicated by the vipassana that he began to practise it twenty-four hours a day.

If you practise anything incessantly, day and night, sleep is bound to be destroyed. You have created a great flood of energy inside yourself, and its continuous motion won't allow you to sleep. Besides, he had done this practice for so many years that all the brain tissues that brought on sleep had been destroyed. A doctor can help only if the brain tissue itself is still in order. Tranquillizers can cause the cells in question to relax, but if they are not there what can the doctor do?

I suggested to him that he should forget the meditation completely and become a lazy person for a full year. He should forget all about meditation. He should encourage idleness-just eat, drink and sleep as much as he could for a year; become a completely worldly man for a full year.

He was disappointed. He objected, "I never expected to hear you say such a thing. Are you trying to ruin me?"

I told him that he could think this if he chose, but this was my opinion. "Do as I say for a year and then come to me," I told him.

He returned in three months, beaming and happy. Then I had to give him a new technique. At such a point I have to judge what is suitable and how much a particular person can take. Gradually the duration is increased according to the seeker's progress. I have to be aware of every aspect of the seeker's state of mind. I have to watch the whole picture.

http://www.oshoworld.com/e-books/se...search_title
The Great Path - Osho

Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  07:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
has she tried doxylamine succinate? it's the only thing that works for me, but it works extremely well. It is an over the counter sleep aid, just read the back of sleeping pills. It's relatively rare, but you can find it if you check a few drug stores. One hour after taking it you have to be still and quiet, like lying down. if you are active you won't feel it.
Also has she tried quitting caffeine, coffee, tea, soda?
And does she have a regular exercise program? Even if her work is active, you need an exercise program like interval training so you will sleep well. And of course, meditate.
Go to Top of Page

jeyaprakash

India
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  11:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit jeyaprakash's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have heard of some great yogis who are in constant union who managed without any sleep. If your mother is comfortable and stable without sleep, it may be quite normal. In that case, please ask her not to take any drugs.

If she feels that she is getting out of balance without the required amount of sleep, you may try a simple technique.

Meditating on different chakras have different impact. If a person tries to keep the attention always at Ajna, it would be very tough to sleep. If one is aware of heart chakra, one may get sleep, but with dreams. Meditating on Muladhara (base-chakra), which corresponds to the Annamaya kosha (physical sheath)will bring all the energy to the physical body and may provide a complete rest to the body and one shall be able to sleep well.
Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  4:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I made a post on sleep last year,
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=8463#73111

Sweet dreams, all living beings !
Go to Top of Page

BuddhiHermit

United Kingdom
84 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  2:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit BuddhiHermit's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Loved the quote Manigma - especially as it is exactly the same one that I thought of, as soon as I read the question.

Some time ago, I had to deal with similar issues. Some friends/associates had decided to learn Channeling, but some months after beginning the process, they reported strange mental tics, and diagonal lines crossing their field of vision. I used some energetic intervention to cure the immediate issues, and then discovered that they had been taught to force the process using newly invented meditations cobbled together from 3 classical meditations.

Needless to say that I suggested they drop that meditation, and pick a nice classical shamatha meditation instead.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000