AYPsite.org Forum
 Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Yamas: ahimsa (nonviolence)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  10:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Last Tuesday morning I confessed that I have a "fight response" in certain social situations, and that it is interfering with my wellbeing. I had seen that it is a pattern across various social groups. It happens in response to leaders who seem to press a point of view that I find mistaken, or at least mistaken as it applies to me and the people for whom I have particular affection.

I did something that, to my memory, I have never done before. Borrowing from the 12 step program, I admitted that I am powerless over my fight response. It felt completely true. When I shared this with a friend and teacher, she said that it was beautiful. She said that there is power in admitting powerlessness. I was immediately in tears, and I felt an immediate shift in my inner emotional life. The fight response energy evaporated, and it was just me, humbled, which is to say, true.

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  10:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  04:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your post resonates with me on various levels. I struggled with drinking alcohol recently, attended some AA meetings, and adopted the approach of acknowledging how I was "powerless" over the habit. Immediate and effective transformation.

I have taken to meditation like a fish to water, because it is an "active" exercise of powerless-ness, an active surrender to this calming whirlwind of energy that I am just beginning to discover in our nervous system. Beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2010 :  8:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree
meditation... is an "active" exercise of powerless-ness...

Humm. That is a new angle for me to ponder.
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  08:53:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
She said that there is power in admitting powerlessness. I was immediately in tears, and I felt an immediate shift in my inner emotional life.

hey bewell this is awesome experience!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000