Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Faintness of breath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  09:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When i do SBP it doesn't feel like my breathing rate lasts long. Inhalation may last 4 seconds. Exhalation is slightly longer. I wonder if there is something wrong with me.

And during SBP the breath seems to become "faint" like i can't feel it as much as when i begin. It is difficult to describe. I wouldn't say it slows down but it feels like i don't need to breathe as much.

Has anyone experienced this?

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  10:34:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yup. Also, since I hardly breathe anyway, SBP seems to require effort.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  11:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jo,

Do you always feel like you hardly breathe? I feel like this almost all the time. I wonder why. You see, i am a smoker and i thought it had something to do with that but it must also be to do with all the meditation i have done. I used Hong Sau the most in the past and it had various effects, one of which was seeming to breathe less.

SBP doesn't feel effortful to practice to me except that the inhalationi doesn't feel very long. And the longer i spend practising SBP the more effort it seems to take.

Oh, another point i wanted to raise. When i do Yoni Mudra Kumbhaka my arms get tired really quickly and i just can't hold them up for very long. I would use a arm prop but that would necessitate a lot of movement out of SBP and i feel this would break the continuity. But no matter how long i hold my breath or keep my eyes lightly pressed, i don't see anything. That makes me suspect that the vision of the spiritual eye is caused by something else. It is frustrating to me a little because the teachings i had previously read and practiced placed a lot of emphasis on having this vision. I have spent untold amounts of time beating myself up about it and i just don't know why it doesn't come.

Funny experience i had today while in meditation. I got to that familiar place where thoughts lose their logic and surface thought seems distant, and i thought i was hearing different tv channels, like snippets of conversation as if someone was flicking through a tv from channel to channel. It was quite amusing. I'm guessing that kind of thing is probably a psychic phenomena because it doesn't always happen. Usually my thoughts seem to become chopped up and unrelated logically. At other times i have heard my name being spoken and other things.
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  1:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi:

I think my very shallow breathing is genetic or perhaps due to the years of meditation. Its my impression that it is shallow. Doctor's tests show that I have all my vital signs are good. I do notice that I do use my solar plexus very well (not a chest breather). Anyway, when I sit to do stuff, my breath will settle even more.

I agree, I don't think smoking would cause low breathing. But, low breathing is good, look at how long turtles last.

If your vitals are good, no problem. You should check that your circulation is good. I haven't tried Yoni Mudra stuff yet. My arms would probably tire too.

Don't pay the having of visions or lack thereof any mind. Ramana Maharshi didn't have visions. They are good in that they help you have 'faith' in the practices or increase desire. I've seen that Bindu stuff, I'm still an ass. I figure one day I'll see the hiranyagabha cosmic egg business and I'll still be picking my nose. Just kidding.

-- jo-self

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  2:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi....
quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

Funny experience i had today while in meditation. I got to that familiar place where thoughts lose their logic and surface thought seems distant, and i thought i was hearing different tv channels, like snippets of conversation as if someone was flicking through a tv from channel to channel. It was quite amusing. I'm guessing that kind of thing is probably a psychic phenomena because it doesn't always happen. Usually my thoughts seem to become chopped up and unrelated logically. At other times i have heard my name being spoken and other things.

I used to get this experience a lot back in the summer and early fall of last year. I wrote a thread about it...here's a link: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=4358#4358
I think it is just scenery and doesn't really mean anything. I think it's best to just try to just go back to the mantra and pay as little attention to it as possible.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000