AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2009 :  8:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Just a little Q-

Is Spinal breathing pranayama the same as what Swami sivananda refers to in his 'Kundalini Yoga', v. early on(p24), as Kundalini Pranayama?(

quote:
'the magic wand for attaining perfection,very quickly'-----Sivananda

Simply put -The latter involves the inhale rising up (the spine-?) passing through the chakras from base to crown, from muladhara to sahasrara, ...returning on the exhale ? Sivananda says the more vivid your visualisation, the more rapid your progress with this sadhana.

I'm merely curious.

I have both acquired this book and have introduced myself to this website in the last few days.Tried DM once-provided detachment on 'awaking' after, going about daily basis..

I like everything Yoganis says here about cleaning the wiindow of the nervous system, the clearing of obstructions and deep purification ( within and beyond sub-conscious level).All of this to me makes sense, and chimes with,serves to clarify and affirm,and even goes beyond how i have begin to understood how the human mind & body etc seems to work.

I'll have to do the Main Lessons, i guess, in time.And integrate them iinto or with other practices i've picked up along the way, and with my life, of course.
Yogani says an important consideration of one who seriously treads the path of yoga is to consider how one integrates the sadhana/practices with his daily life.( not allowing one to effect the other,balance, i guess)I like his clarity and the way he de-mystifies all this "awakeining" stuff ,with his talk of the nervous system being a/the main channel for such.

Hi Yogani-- i like your site- it is very useful and helpful to everyone out there- You have done the world a great service for doing this!!!!! i like your message- the guru is within- that is very comforting & re-assuring, as well as sounding true.We are our best guru,and the guru is within each and everyone of us.

A also think a healthy integration of modern science with ancient yoga wisdom sounds gd.

Edited by - Akasha on Apr 21 2009 8:30:23 PM

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  09:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Akasha

Just a little Q-

Is Spinal breathing pranayama the same as what Swami sivananda refers to in his 'Kundalini Yoga', v. early on(p24), as Kundalini Pranayama?(

quote:
'the magic wand for attaining perfection,very quickly'-----Sivananda

Simply put -The latter involves the inhale rising up (the spine-?) passing through the chakras from base to crown, from muladhara to sahasrara, ...returning on the exhale ? Sivananda says the more vivid your visualisation, the more rapid your progress with this sadhana.

You'll find that SBP will seem similar to many other practices like Kriya Yoga and even Taoist practices. What is different is intent, focus, and complexity. In SBP there is no focus on the chakras navigation, especially the crown. Likewise, there is considerable simplicity. In some practices, it gets very complex with "secret" stuff (really ways to generate revenue). And, the intent is different. In some systems, forms of spinal breathing are the primary way to practice. In AYP, SBP is a complementary practice that thrives with Deep Meditation.

These are my impressions, AYP experts please correct me if I missed anything.

-- jo-self

Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2009 :  09:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thankyou Jo-self. That was extraordinarily helpful and clear.

--AkAsha
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000