Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 Intentional Community
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shorinjin

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  2:13:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit shorinjin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
One way to do this is through an intentional community. Our family has been working towards a spiritual retreat center for several years. It will be a multi-discipline center that is open to all practices and beliefs. Our plan is to provide a place for workshops, and place for more in-depth studies. Teachers could come there for a weekend, or be in residence for an extended period of time to work with students in residence.

We are exploring several ways of doing this, including an intentional community. There is much to be said for the value of a group of like-minded, connected people living on the same land and helping build and maintain facilities for all -- residents and non-residents alike. There are definite challenges, as well.

We have several intentional communities in our area, and are very good friends with the founding families of one community that has been here nearly 25 years and is raising it's third generation of members. They offer a wealth of information about what its really like to live in a community.... It is often glamorized.

We are doing this in Alaska. Yes, it is remote. That is part of the charm and attraction. But, it is also accessible. A person can fly into Anchorage and easily drive to us. Thus, it is not so remote that it will be an impediment to attendees. There are a number of reasons we chose Alaska, which probably are not relevant here. Mainly, though, the energy (prana/Chi/ki) here is profound, and provides wonderful opportunities for growth. In so many ways, being here is a huge shift for most people, and that opens them to possibilities.

We do not have the land, yet. We are hoping to get it this Spring. We want a minimum of 10 acres. Our ideal is 80-120 acres. We will be building with low-impact, sustainable local materials (strawbale, cob, earth-sheltered, etc.) and will keep as much of the land as we can in a natural state. Our plan is to be totally off the grid, and to raise as much of our organic food as possible (which is an interesting undertaking here).

Just a few thoughts....

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  10:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

We have several intentional communities in our area, and are very good friends with the founding families of one community that has been here nearly 25 years and is raising it's third generation of members. They offer a wealth of information about what its really like to live in a community.... It is often glamorized.

Hi, thanks for the post. Can you post the author and name of the book?
Go to Top of Page

shorinjin

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  2:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit shorinjin's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
taddeus --

They do not have a book. I am in their community 1-2 times per month typically, and frequently talk with various leaders of the community. That is what I was meaning. I apologize for the confusion.

There are however, a number of classes and books on intentional communities. I don't have any in mind, but I have seen them in the past by doing an internet search on that phrase. "Co-housing" is another good phrase. I can send you some links for them (or, post them if that is appropriate).

One of the biggest comments they made was that you either have a community that is focused on a result or outcome (such as: off-the-grid, shared religion, a specific lifestyle, a political value, etc.), or it is focused on process. For example, we have a number of communities here that are inhabited by Russian emigrants who came here about 30 - 40 years ago and wanted to create their own communities based upon their religious and cultural beliefs. They built villages that were isolated and pretty much stayed to themselves. They call themselves "Old Believers" and practice a form of Christianity that is different from Russian Orthodox (which we also have here in abundance). They dress in traditional 19th century Russian attire, have their own schools, speak Russian, etc. Their purpose is to maintain a certain lifestyle and to separate themselves from the world as much as possible. When I lived in the Southwestern U.S., there were polygamous communities that did a similar thing. The Amish and Mennonite communities in Pennsylvania are more examples.

On the other hand, the intentional community I referred to is more concerned with the "process" of being a community, rather than seeking a specific "outcome" or identity. Here is an example of the difference: An "outcome" based community might say "To live here you must believe X." Or, "you must be a vegetarian." Do you understand what I mean?

A "process" based community, such as the one I mentioned, will be concerned about relationships and their evolution within the community. They, for example, meet every day as a community for 1-2 hours to talk. They talk about anything a member wants to discuss. Nothing is off-limits, taboo, or too personal. Anyone can speak, no matter how old or how young. All decisions are made by the group, and no decision is made unless it is unanimous. This means the decision-making process can be very slow. Some issues they have been working on without resolution for well over 20 years. That's what I mean when I say they are not "outcome" based. "Outcome" based requires strong leadership. Their "process" approach requires shared leadership.

What they have developed is phenomenal intergenerational relationships. Although they started with five families, it is now like one huge family that is in it's third generation. And, the solidarity is amazing.

They have given up a lot. All income is held in common. No one owns land or houses (although they live in individual homes). They have two vehicles that are used by everyone. They share a common food source and have a large kitchen that is shared (in addition to kitchens in each home), etc. They have also gained a lot.

So, it depends upon what you want. It is just important to be very clear about what want when you start a community (or, join one). What are you willing to give up, and what do you expect to gain?

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions.
Go to Top of Page

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  6:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that. And for the search tips :) I'll certainly be looking into this, but more of this discussion would be too off-topic here, I think.
If I have more questions, I'll e-mail you. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  03:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find this offshoot in this topic very interesting and would like to hear more through the forum. Perhaps it could be made into a separate thread of its own?
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  11:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I too would like to hear more about this.....

quote:
On the other hand, the intentional community I referred to is more concerned with the "process" of being a community, rather than seeking a specific "outcome" or identity.

This is very interesting......thank you for the time spent on sharing this information with us, Shorinjin.

Living in a community......sharing.....contributing.....cultivating inner silence....... living an active life..... This is possible.....everything is possible if you give your heart to it.

I would love to contribute to something like this.......

However....I know nothing of community living....what it is actually like......and it is obvious that a lot of issues must be considered and worked out before actualizing something like this.

But from where I am....at this point in life......I am very attracted to it. An AYP community would be great, of course. But if this is premature.....then any community that is centered in....and grows out of...inner silence....will be something to consider here.

Shorinjin......When you find the books you were going to search for....would you mind posting them here?

A new topic is a good idea......I just didn't know what to call it.......how about "community living"......or something like that.....

Anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  1:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Topic split from http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=1626
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  6:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is my intention to start or join an intentional community at some stage.
What Katrine is saying sounds just right,
Living in a community......sharing.....contributing.....cultivating inner silence....... living an active life..... This is possible.....everything is possible if you give your heart to it.

I was recommended a book some time ago and never got it, I will order it now
It is "Creating a Life Together" by Diana Leafe Christian
her website is here: http://www.dianaleafechristian.org/

do you know of this book shorinjin and if so would you recommend it.

Wouldn't it be great to have an AYP intentional community
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  2:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis

Thanks for posting that book and the website.

I ordered it from Amazon
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  07:13:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From what I gather the book contains very good information about why 9 out of 10 intentional communities fail. It apparently dissects all these things in a clear way so that other's can consider the pitfalls and gain from a wealth of experience won through hard knocks - a bit like AYP
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  12:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Found this on Diana's website:

“Practical Tools to Grow an Intentional Community.”
Twenty-minute interview for Peak Moment TV with host Janaia Donaldson, August 2006:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlMDckgqU30

The interview is actually close to 30 min long......I found the first 10 min and the last 10 min most relevant
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  6:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Katrine, enjoyed that video.

It sounds facinating all that potential for inquiry, growth and a common vison and passion - the ever deepening of presence, the shine and the potential for multiplying this in a group community setting with like minded people.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000