AYP Helpers
 AYP Center in the USA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2006 :  11:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Thinking way way way into the future here....

What would everyone want for an AYP school/center/ashram? Any ideas you may have are welcomed!

I am interested in possibly setting one up someday. Not for at least another 5 years due to commitments I have. But I am serious about this...and when I get serious I tend to get carried away on tangents which aren't relevent...so it'd be best if everyone gave their input on what would be ideal for this, rather than just me coming up with ideas. This should be executed in a balanced way, if it is ever to be executed.

Where would an ideal location be for this? I'm thinking that it should be somewhat secluded, yet not so far away that no one would make the trip. The closer to a city, the better. Know of any nice cities? It must have a natural setting, and not be near noisy roads or anything.

I'm thinking of being a permanent resident there, and running it somewhat like a retreat center. People who want to stay somewhere for free could just contribute by helping out around the place. Otherwise ideally it'd cost like $25 a night. It beats a hotel!

There would be private "practice rooms" specifically for the sitting practices, based somewhat upon the Hatha Yoga Pradipika design. 72 inches square....small door facing East...I don't know about the cow dung walls, maybe wood or a softer type of plaster. In each room would be a small platform with a pad on it, a wool blanket, and a small pillow. The rooms should also be soundproof, so you don't hear the person in the room next to you banging their head against the wall by accident, or something. Any more ideas to add to (or detract from) this design?

I also have this grand vision of a large wooden "Asana Room", with big windows displaying the outdoors. There would be sticky mats and woven mats supplied, and washed, by the residents there. There could be yoga classes (you know, the fitness type of yoga) held there, or just individual practice. These links will give you somewhat of an idea of what I mean...
http://www.nordicbluehotel.se/bilde...blueyoga.jpg
http://www.yogafrance.com/images/salleyoga.jpg

There could be a cafe on the grounds...not just a coffee house, but a restaurant where people can hang out, eat, drink and be merry. I like to cook, and my best friend is actually going to the Culinary Institute of America...he may be interested. There could be musicians that play at the cafe weekend nights or something.

Of course, there must be internet connections everywhere, since that's how AYP started. I'm thinking no wireless internet, though. It's a hassle to deal with it not functioning half the time. It'd be good if there were a couple of computers which anyone can use for free in various areas, if they don't have their own.

I'm thinking the housing complex should be styled somewhat like a dormatory or apartment. It should be nice - not like some retreat centers where it's all about meditation and not at all about comfort. Here is a good idea of what I mean by "nice"...
http://www.zaucker.com/.pics/br.jpg

There could also be houses built for the permanent residents, if there is enough land. There should be enough land, so that practitioners can go on walks.

There can be organic gardening and farming done by any of the permanent residents, which could go to the cafe, so too much money isn't going out. There could also be a couple of dairy cows in a small pasture. Got milk?

Anyway I have to go to sleep. Please add your input. Feel free to give any criticism of these ideas. Put what you would want, if you were to live at this place.

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  09:09:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumper stickers would really blow the lid off of this place. Especially with more and more people becoming interested in yoga. It would really make ayp into something different than it is right now, that's for sure. It is comforting to know that the destiny of ayp is in good/knowing hands.

I only mention AYP to specific individuals who are spiritual or are avid meditators. Consciously representing a group would be different. That would be neat to be a part of something like that. I'm sure everyone feels that way about whatever group they support and/or are supported by.

Scott, that is a great idea. I hope you attract everything you need for your plans. If you ever do get one off the ground I promise to visit.

Edited by - Kyman on Oct 21 2006 09:19:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  09:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Kyman,

Bumper stickers would be a good way to advertise even right now...just to get people coming to this website. Good idea.

I tend to only mention AYP to spiritually inclined people, too. I'm not really the type to advertise (it's hard work!)...but I would like to live somewhere relaxing and solitary, at the same time being around people. I also like to build things, and do landscaping. So hopefully in a few years there will be some people interested in diving into this project, who love to spread the word, so I could just do the things I like.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  09:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
People like me would stop by to see the center, but don't have time to contribute so I would return to the "virtual" one we have here. My life is full and busy with other things, and I'm lucky to meditate twice a day. I drop out of discussions for days or a weeks at a time because I'm doing other things. So there will still be a large audience online for people like me who don't want to change their lives anymore than meditating at home and occasional online interaction.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  11:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, Etherfish.
Go to Top of Page

will.iam

23 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2006 :  9:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit will.iam's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What do you want to do? Your idea seems to conflict with itself. DO you want to have a spiritual retreat or some kind of a "spiritual" lounge?

In my mind there are two approaches to a serious spiritual retreat center.
- Donation centered approach. Much like the retreates offered at dhamma.org
+ the center would only accept donations and operate as a charitable entity for tax purposes
+ it would be staffed by volunteers, who rotated out at different intervals depending on avaliability
+ there should be one person who is less transient and more or less runs the daily operations
+ there should be a committe of interested peeople who meet monthly or quarterly to review finances, make big decisions, and do long range planning

- Particiapants pay for their time there
+ perhaps some staff to do some of the more menial tasks
+ people paid wages or salary and volunteers accepted

- Practices/Atmosphere
+ Serious spirital retreat center
= maintain silence during the day (or at least most of the time, maybe talk at meals only)
= have a schedule of activities for the day (wake up at 5:30; asanas at 6; meditation at 6:30; breakfast at 7...)
= keep sexes seperated (except married?)
= foster an atmospehere of quiet contemplation
= check students progress daily
= have an area for advanced students

+ Vacation center
= entertainment
= internet
= other distractions

If there were to be an official AYP center then I think it should be a donation based serious spiritual retreat center. Maybe on Saturdays things could loosen up, but if you are going to spend your time away from home and work then it would be better spent making progress spiritually, or learning new techniques or perfecting asanas, or whatever.

Ideal location would be in the country side maybe an hours drive outside of a major city with a "hub airport". This would allow for less expensive air travel. Dallas, Atlanta, Chichago, New York, Philidephia, Los Angeles, San Fransico, etc.

It would be really cool to see it happen.
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  07:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott
I like your idea of having a centre and some very valid points have been made by others.
The word that comes to mind when I read this is "community".

Whilst getting the nuts and bolts right in selecting and building a place is very important. The more important aspect for me would be how the community would be run.
As I'm sure you know community living can get very difficult - look at all the marriage breakups . So looking at various communities and how they deal with squabbles, projections, rows and how they facilitate the resolution of these would be foremost on my list.

Obviously the AYP practice with people operating out of a witness perspective is vital for the success of this, but there will also need to be serious methods of self enquiry in place as part of the schedule, for harmonious community living.

For this to happen it would be necessary, IMO, to have a core group to facilitate this and then retreatants and visitors to fall into the routine.

Just a few thoughts
Louis

Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  11:23:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful topic Scott. Looks like you have planted the seed...
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  2:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Will.iam,

Your ideas are brilliant...thank you very much for taking the time to give them. See, I wouldn't have thought of this stuff on my own. So much can be accomplished with teamwork. Thank you.

quote:
What do you want to do? Your idea seems to conflict with itself. DO you want to have a spiritual retreat or some kind of a "spiritual" lounge?

A lounge that can act as a retreat, depending on the individual. I know...kinda funky...but I think it'd be overwhelming for some to go into a retreat type atmosphere with all day long silences, vegan food only, etc. I know at least personally, I wouldn't like it. When I'm not doing practices I like to engage the world. I like to eat hamburgers.

quote:
In my mind there are two approaches to a serious spiritual retreat center.
- Donation centered approach. Much like the retreates offered at dhamma.org....

The donation approach is a very generous one. I think it all depends on how well financially I would be doing at the time. If I'm always worrying about money, I don't think the donation idea would work. But if I've got a little extra to spare, then I would definitely make it so that people could come and go for free.

It's just that the quality of the place will probably go down. I think it's good to have a clean and comfortable atmosphere...and to keep that up it's necessary to spend money. I've heard of some of the dhamma places where it kind of sucks to stay there. Like cockroaches crawling on people, and living in a bay type atmosphere where you have to hear other people snore all night. They aren't all like that, but a couple are.

I would never wish for cockroaches to crawl all over you.

I think this place should be nice...where people would want to come back. Where some would want to stay. A place where I wouldn't mind living.

quote:
- Particiapants pay for their time there
+ perhaps some staff to do some of the more menial tasks
+ people paid wages or salary and volunteers accepted

This is what I'm thinking would work the best. All it would take really is like 3 people to run the place. A host, a cook, and a maid. And the more the merrier.

I think it's a good idea to allow people to live there for free if they help out with the tasks. What kind of a deal is that? In real life, we have to work jobs and then pay to live somewhere. In this fantasy AYP center I have, you can work and get some money then sleep in a bed for free. Watch tv, surf the internet...for free. I've always wanted to find a place like this.

quote:
= maintain silence during the day (or at least most of the time, maybe talk at meals only)

I think this should be up to the practitioner. Personally, I like to talk with people after my practices. If I am in meditation all day, I don't progress as much as if I come out of it and bring my focus and energies into the world.

Some people may want to take on a few days of silence. Or perhaps the rest of their life, if they're so inclined. Well, more power to them. If that helps them in their search, then that's what they should be allowed to have.

What I would like to see from an AYP center is respect for anyone's practice. Having an imposed silence seems kind of disrespectful to someone who wants to chat.

quote:
= have a schedule of activities for the day (wake up at 5:30; asanas at 6; meditation at 6:30; breakfast at 7...)

I thought about this, and I don't think it would work. What it means is that there needs to be a lot of rooms for each practitioner. Like what if 25 people were staying there, and we only had 15 meditation rooms? That would mean 10 people have to miss out on using a room during the designated time. Maybe it'd be better to just have the rooms open all the time, with sign up sheets to reserve them. That way, if someone prefers to eat dinner at 9 pm, and likes to meditate right before, they can do so!

quote:
= keep sexes seperated (except married?)

This would definitely be good to avoid problems arising between people...but I don't think it's very AYP-like to seperate the sexes.

I know that's hard for some people, who believe that the mere presence of the opposite sex hinders them spiritually. I guess if they want to be apart from the opposite sex, they can either try to avoid them at the center...or just not go to the center at all.

Anymore suggestions on this? I know my idea isn't very win-win. I'm definitely open to finding a better solution.

quote:
= foster an atmospehere of quiet contemplation

I would definitely like to see the asana room and the practice rooms quiet...unless there was some sort of class going on in the asana room. I also hope for there to be enough nature to walk around in...maybe a forest or a small mountain nearby where someone can get away to contemplate quietly.

But like I've said, I wouldn't like to impose quiet contemplation on people staying there. Nor would I like to impose talking on them. They should do what they feel they need to do in their time outside of practices, and I should have no say in that.

quote:
= check students progress daily

How do you suggest doing this? Like having a group session where we each take turns talking about our experiences?

quote:
= have an area for advanced students

What do you mean about this? What would advanced students need which differs from an asana room and practice rooms?

quote:
+ Vacation center
= entertainment
= internet
= other distractions

Yes, I would definitely like to see these types of things there. What can I say...I'm a hedonist.

quote:
If there were to be an official AYP center then I think it should be a donation based serious spiritual retreat center. Maybe on Saturdays things could loosen up, but if you are going to spend your time away from home and work then it would be better spent making progress spiritually, or learning new techniques or perfecting asanas, or whatever.

It's good to see this point of view, because it's the opposite of my own. This is exactly what I've been looking for here.

By the way, if this ever gets going, I would hope that my center isn't the official AYP center. I would hope that there would be one in every major city.

Anyway...I want to solve the problem of having the place fit everyone's needs. I think each person's progress is entirely dependent upon them. If they need a serious, silent, spiritual retreat...they should have it here! They shouldn't feel as if the place is kind of a joke. The point of an AYP center would be strictly for spiritual progress...so if it wasn't fulfilling that goal it would be worthless.

So the person shouldn't feel overwhelmed with people and entertainment. They should feel that it's an atmosphere which allows focusing...where they can forget about worldly pleasures for a weekend.

I hope if you have any suggestions on how to make this possible that you give them.

It's also clear to me that not all yogis are as determined as others. Some don't think it necessary to forsake worldly living for the spiritual. Personally, without engaging the world when practice time is over, I stop progressing. I NEED to live fully...that is the biggest part of my yoga practice. Spreading my energies into a wide array of activities.

So if I were to go on a silent retreat, I would actually be quite stuck. My energies would be stagnant.

So I would hope that this place could cater to someone like myself, as well. Have both atmospheres at once - a reflective type, as well as an engaging type.

I know - seems impossible. But it's what I see as necessary for an AYP center. If you have any ideas on how this could be possible please let me know.

quote:
Ideal location would be in the country side maybe an hours drive outside of a major city with a "hub airport". This would allow for less expensive air travel. Dallas, Atlanta, Chichago, New York, Philidephia, Los Angeles, San Fransico, etc.

Excellent advice!!!

quote:
It would be really cool to see it happen.

It definitely would! Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2006 :  2:17:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Louis,

quote:
Whilst getting the nuts and bolts right in selecting and building a place is very important. The more important aspect for me would be how the community would be run.
As I'm sure you know community living can get very difficult - look at all the marriage breakups . So looking at various communities and how they deal with squabbles, projections, rows and how they facilitate the resolution of these would be foremost on my list.

That's a very good point. Living in close proximity to others makes things much more intimate...as well as dangerous.

Do you have any idea of how some communities solve such problems?

quote:
Obviously the AYP practice with people operating out of a witness perspective is vital for the success of this, but there will also need to be serious methods of self enquiry in place as part of the schedule, for harmonious community living.

I can't wait for the Self Enquiry ebook! Good idea on making it part of the schedule.

Hopefully, it wouldn't be religiousized. My dream is for people of any faith to come to this place and not feel bombarded by another faith. So, if the self enquiry taught was much like Advaita Vedanta, where it's taught that we are not the body or the mind...well that would just confuse people from a Christian background.

Actually, probably from ANY background.

So hopefully, any kind of talks could be kept more scientific and rational...as well as practical. Exactly the way AYP is set up right now!

quote:
For this to happen it would be necessary, IMO, to have a core group to facilitate this and then retreatants and visitors to fall into the routine.

That's a good idea. You want to give some talks, Louis?

I know I'd be down for giving a few. As you all can probably see, I love to talk about yoga.

Thanks very much for your ideas, Louis.

Hunter,

They call me "Scotty AYPCenterseed".
Go to Top of Page

will.iam

23 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  12:03:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit will.iam's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Scott,

Sorry for not respond point by point, but its late...

Ideally there should in my mind be a seperation between people who want to practice seriously and those who want to hang out. One way is to have quiet areas, like the rooms and meditation areas, and talking areas like the kitchen and dining areas. I think that having a mandatory meditation time is essential to keep the focus of a center in check. Otherwise it could turn into a bunch of people talking about meditation and yoga and nobody doing it.

As far as seperation of the sexes, simply have a meditation hall split down the middle, and have three types of housing male, female , and married. Each seperate.

As far as putting your energy out into the world, the time for that is when you are back in the world. To do a retreat properly you need to offer people a way to deepen their meditation safely and recharge their batteries, so when they come away the rest of the world benefits.

Essential people: host, cook, maid and volunteers. Also a long time AYP practitioner to act as a teacher or guide. This would be the person who people could check with on their progress. This would also eliminate the need to hanging out taking...I've attended a few of the dhamma retreats and there is a lot of wisdom maintaining silence. Goenka says that it keeps other people from wanting to or trying to have the same experience as you. If you tell me, "I saw the most brilliant light and felt such extacy..." then I or maybe someone else will be trying for that experience instead of easily repeating the mantra.

All of this talk does not do much good without a place. Things would have to start small and build up, but its good to think ahead.

Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  9:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very good points. I do want to solve the problem between our viewpoints, where I think there should be a relaxed atmosphere and you think it should be a retreat atmosphere. I definitely see the validity of your side of it. Luckily, I have a few years to contemplate these types of things. What I would like is a place that would please everyone and meet anyone's needs.

Hopefully there will be more discussion on this topic from interested yogis. I hope anyone who feels up to the task to make their own AYP center would do it, regardless of if I'm thinking of making one as well. It'd be good to see a few of these popping up in the future.

Thanks again Will.iam, for your help.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2006 :  11:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott,

good discussion.

Scott said: There would be private "practice rooms" specifically for the sitting practices, based somewhat upon the Hatha Yoga Pradipika design. 72 inches square....small door facing East...

One thing I'll throw in right now is that meditation does not have to be done in separate rooms. This is true even if people do not start meditation at the same time. One large meditation room (and a few smaller ones if resources allow) could do nicely. Of course people should come and go as quietly as possible in the meditation room.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Oct 23 2006 11:04:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  1:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The topic of International Community/Community Living has been split to a new topic in the "Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats" forum:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5168
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  09:42:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I haven`t read the entire thread yet but would just like to say that at the insight meditation center in Barre Masachutes they have both a normal retreat center were there are shorter silent retreats but also people working and talking and also a place called the forrest refuge wich is more secluded and for more hardcore longer stays. They are also setting up infrastructure to provide people with the ability to stay on retreat for many years at a time. An AYP place could be a split place somewhat like this. It could have one part wich is like Mantak Chias place Tao gardn wich is like a great vacation center with swimming pool, talking alowed etc. were there are normal introductory classes etc. then you can have a smaller place close buy but a bit secleduded were you can have silent retreats and longer stays.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000