New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  11:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello Friends,

I have opened this thread because I am in a unique position and could really use some feedback/advice. For those of you who have yet to come across a thread with my postings in it, I am a methadone addict, and have been on the Methadone Maintainence program for over 3 years now. I have been on a perscription for 90mg of methadone which I take once a day everyday. [for those of you who don't know, methadone is an opiate, and used as a substitute for heroin. I used to be a methamphetamine and heroin addict for many years and in order to try to get off of the heroin I got onto the methadone program which keeps my body from going into heroin withdrawls but keeps me addicted to the legal substitution "methadone" instead but doesn't get me high like heroin. Methadone is about 100X harder to get off of then heroin because the metabolic halflife of methadone is over 36hours whereas heroin's half-life is only about 6 hours. So when trying to get off of methadone it is always excruciating and is really just prolonging the pain I would have experienced had I just gotten of of heroin instead of getting on the methadone program. It is not uncommon to take several years to downdose from as little as 60mgs (being in excruciating pain the whole time) and still have several months of PAWS (post acute withdrawl sypmtoms) afterwards which are still completely diabilitating.] I started doing AYP at the beginning of July this year after finding the site after googling "Kriya Ibogaine" as I had started the SRF's Kriya yoga lessons about 6 months earlier and was looking into doing an Ibogaine treatment to get off of methadone. That day I read a Swami, who was connected to Kriya still, say to another forumite to forget Kriya Yoga and to stick with AYP. That sold me on AYP (I know that is wrong, no lectures needed) and I crossed the Kriya bridge to AYP and have not looked back yet. But anyways...Soon after starting AYP I started having symptoms I began to notice seemed an awful lot like my methadone dose was too strong.(never had that problem before, haha) So already having a desire to be off the program I started experimenting with my dose. At first I just started stretching out the time between when I would take my doses. I used to take it every 24 hours(daily) but soon I got to a point where I could take my dose every 36-48 hours. After about a week of that I decided to take a chance and drop my dose down to 60mgs every 36 hours. I waited until I was starting to get "junk sick" and then told myself I would be thankful for ANY methadone and gave myself just 60mgs instead of the 90 I was perscribed. I stayed at 60 mgs for a week. I had NO withdrawl symptoms at all. NOTHING. I should have been REALLY sick. This led me to start questioning whether there was something else going on and I started to realize that the only thing different from this time(I have tried to downdose unsuccessfully many times in the past 3 years) to the last was the addition of AYP twice daily.(with 5 mins SBP as well I should mention) This seemed to easy of an answer and too good to be true so I decided to really test out the power of meditation. As some of you may understand it is easier to drop from 90mgs to 60mgs then it is to drop from 60mgs to 30mgs. And it gets harder the lower you go eventually taking about as long to go from 10 to 0 as it does to go from say 90 to 30. But anyways I decided to put it to the test. Since it can take up to about a week for me to feel the full effects of a major cut to my dosage I decided I would drop another 30 mgs off.(took me a total of 10 days) I have been at 30mgs now for about a week. And still, NO withdrawls. I have a goal to be completely off of methadone by the end of September. For those of you counting that will be me getting off of a 3 year 90mg daily dose of methadone in just 2 months total. Absolutely unheard of in the medical community execpt with the aid of something chemical like Ibogaine and the medical community still won't accept THAT! Anyways, how unheard of this is is illustrated by my doctors reaction to me asking him to change my perscription from 90mgs to 30mgs. He flipped out on me, wanted to call the cops because he was SURE I was selling my doses and supplimenting with heroin (or something). I assured him I wasn't, and yesterday I even brought 10 days worth of doses BACK to my pharmacy to appease the doctor that I was indeed NOT selling my extra. (what an awesome feeling THAT was!)
ANYWAYS.....I just wanted to give those of you who don't know me yet some background into my situation so that potentially you can offer some advice to me. Here is what I am hoping to do.

Once I am off of methadone completely and know for sure that meditation will take me right to the end without any severe repercussions physically, and then I hope to start offering a weekly AYP meditation group aimed at people from my clinic who are methadone and/or crack addicts who have a real desire to be clean. I believe it would be absolutely unjustifiable for me to take this as it is and NOT offer something back to drug addict community. So I hope to start a once weekly meditation group to show at least SOMEONE else the benefits of AYP on drug addiction.
I sent Yogani an email yesterday with a few questions and I think he was hoping it and his answer would make it onto the forum so others could comment and leave suggestions as well. So I will post both my email and his response below. I would love any comments or suggestions as this is truely uncharted territory as far as I know. Thank you all.
Namaste,
CarsonZi

Hi Yogani,
I feel a little sheepish sending you a direct email especially being so new to the site/forum, but I have a direct question for you in regards to setting up the meditation group for other addicts at my methadone clinic, and I feel like I have started enough threads already this week and should slow down a little. All the same I am really excited to get started and have a few important questions before I start. (ps. I have read through the thread between you andmeg and others on starting and maintaining your AYP group) Question 1: Is there a most effective format that the leaders of the AYP groups have decided on? Format meaning, how do I properly "chronologize" the meeting? Should I start by reading from the easy lessons book? Or should I just paraphrase in effort to keep things shorter and more practice oriented? I can figure out how to run it once I get going, but the initial beginning of it all I am unsure of.
Question 2: Any recommendations on location ideas? Keep in mind I don't really want to invite street people and drug addicts to my house to meditate especially since I have an excess of methadone (and other drugs) at home due to me cutting back my dosage and discontinuing my recreation drug habits (for the most part).
Question 3: I am not a doctor, but I will be on the verge of having to give medical advice based on my own experiences. How sure can I be that if I show these people the lessons as you have written them that they too will experience the same progress I have experienced? Should I even do this or is it too risky? Could I be legally implicated if someone hurt themselves? All I want to do is show others how I have begun to free myself with the power of meditation and SBP and help them free themselves as well. Believe me I understand that I cannot instill desire in anyone, but I am only going to be looking for people with a sincere desire to be clean off methadone (and maybe crack cocaine as there is a REAL problem with that in my city and most of us opiate addicts are crackheads as well)I really want to give something back to my community in the way of helping others like myself but I fear there may be too many obstacles in the way to be realistic about being successful at all. And the last thing I would want is for it to have a detrimental effect on my own self realization. Again I am sorry for sending you a direct message but I feel like I am creating a terrible amount of overlap in topics by creating new threads all the time and feel bad for overtaking others' topics, but I still need advice. I hope you can understand. I won't make a habit of this I promise. Thank you for your time and thought, it is most appreciated.
Namaste,CarsonZi

Hi CarsonZi:

It is a little difficult for me to offer much in email these days due to all that is going on with AYP. The forums are so much better for that, and you should feel free to post there as much as you like.

Having said that, let me try and answer your questions:

1. There is no set pattern. Everyone runs their meditation group a little differently. Generally it is best to meditate near the beginning and chat later with snack optional, unless someone is just getting started -- then take the time to give enough info so they can meditate with the group. For most people, beginning with the little Deep Meditation book will be best, and then the Spinal Breathing book. The big AYP book can be a little intimidating for beginners, though not for folks with a real hunger for yoga. Reading out of the big book is fine to get people started meditating, but for their own reading the little book will usually be best.

2. Most people start in the home, but I can see your case is an exception. How about a local church or other agency or facility that would support your desire? Perhaps a non-medical facility that deals with addicts? A medical facility would be okay too, but it seems less likely from what you said.

3. On liability, there could be some if you advise on anything but the practices. It should be said up front that changes in dosages is between the patient and their doctor. No doubt there could be some horror stories, because some may not be as systematic as you have been in balancing practices and dosage. Some might get carried away and go cold turkey, and then get carried away literally to the hospital. So, yes, there are risks. That is why you have to limit your advice to the practices only, and the rest is up to the practitioner. It would be better if you could do this with a doctor standing by, but maybe it is not time for that. I imagine that addicts are at least as erratic as other people, so it could be difficult to keep this on an even keel. Maybe start with one person who you believe has the best chance for success, and see where it goes from there, unless you find medical and/or social worker sponsorship, which could then open it up without putting the whole thing on you. This kind of project will probably require a partnership of some kind.

Above all, take care of yourself, and go slow in approaching others. If you keep the desire to help, something reasonable will emerge sooner or later. If your case is not an anomaly (I think not), then science will catch up with this eventually, and there will be plenty of support. No need to be a hero and risk your own stability. Btw, it is likely that practices are already being researched in relation to drug addiction (try googling it), but not AYP that I am aware of.

If you bring these questions to the forums, I will be happy to copy my answers over there. The good thing about the forums is that many can participate and benefit. There is no telling who might be helped. So airing these things in public is a service in itself.

Of course, anyone you refer to the AYP website and forums will have the same opportunity you have had, and we know that can work for at least one person. :-)

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Yogani

Edited by - CarsonZi on Aug 29 2008 11:19:28 AM

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  3:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what a beautiful post, thk you for sharing both of you.

Carsonzi you are a good soul my friend hopefuly things will evolve to the better, wish i could give some new advice on the matter at hand but yogani said it all.

by the way your desire for helping others is also a sign of divine outpouring love which is the outcome of AYP practices.{(good things are happening :)}

love and light,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  01:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the encouragement Ananda. I hope to have the group up and running by the beginning of October. I will keep everyone who cares updated here as things get started. Best of luck along your path as well.
Namaste,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  9:03:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson
I Just want to say I believe in you
my best to you
neil
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  2:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Neil, I think you're swell too Thanks for the boost. Today is day 1 at 15mg's. So far so good.
In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  2:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And an update for anyone following this thread:

I have found my location and I have local Drug and Alcohol Addiction support. I will be starting a once weekly meditation group at a local AADAC (Alberta Alcohol and Drug Addiction Commitee) rehab centre. I am not (at least for now) going to be centering only on methadone addicts. Hopefully I will have a plethera of poly drug addicts just looking for anything to help with the pain of withdrawls. I will be located right in the rehab facility and will have both doctors and nurses there to oversee, and anyone there undergoing rehab, (or working there too for that matter) will be allowed to attend. I hope I won't be the only person meditating, wouldn't that be embarrassing. I am putting together an informational flyer that will circulate for a week prior to my start date, (which will hopefully be October 15th) to inform patients and staff of what the goals are and a bit on my personal experience. I am REALLY excited to do this, and I am tearing up just writing this as I feel so truely blessed to be able to offer such hope to an otherwise hopeless demographic that I know all to well. I hope you all will keep these endeavors in your hearts and prayers, and may we save the world together.
In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  11:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Everyone,

Just hoping for a little feedback on other people's perspective on this situation. Many thanks.
I will be working specifically with people (mostly homeless ones) who are already in forced rehab and in drug withdrawl, and maybe a few staff members if they want. I will be hosting the group 1 evening a week for an hour. Most of the people that will attend (aside from maybe a few staff) I will likely only see once. I don't know yet what will happen, but I am hoping that a few of the people that participate and like it, will return in following weeks despite not being forced to be there. But this is a best case scenario. (Actually the BEST case scenario would be to teach one of the paid full time nurses to teach AYP to these people and I start another group, but I ramble...)Either way I will most likely see my participants only once. Irregardless I am planning to run it like this:
-Open the meeting by introducing myself and my reason for being there quickly. (Try to help them understand that I can relate to where they are right now and that I am there because I can help them. Tell them quickly what AYP did for me)
-Go over the evenings practice procedure, which will include 5 minutes of spinal breathing pranayama and 20 minutes of I AM mantra meditation and a 10 minute rest period. Tell them that to achieve the best results these practices should be done twice daily.
-Answer any questions and set the timer.
-Do spinal breathing pranayama
-Do I Am meditation
-Take a 10 minute rest.
-Spend any last time sharing (and probably drinking some juice. haha)
-Tell them all it was a pleasure to meet them, invite them to come back next week.
-Maybe flirt with a cute nurse and go home to my wife. (I'm just kidding about the flirting part)

Any input would be nice as I've never participated in a group meditation other than the AYP Global meditations and that doesn't really help me much in this circumstance.

Thanks!
CarsonZi

Edited by - CarsonZi on Sep 09 2008 11:49:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  12:23:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarsonZi,

My sister is a long time drug addict. I think 20 min of I AM meditation to start is too much. They will get bored. I think 5 min of SB and 10 min of DM is much better for a first meeting. Yogani is the expert but I know from my own experience that 20 min as a start for DM is a long time. To try to get them to do 20 min of DM twice a day is IMHO impossible. Have them start slow and build up to 20 min twice a day...BTW I only do 10/15 twice a day so may not be the best poster child for AYP (I do a lot of hatha though...and love it!).

Your main emphasis should be your success story and to show that it can be enjoyable & FUN!

Best of luck!

Edited by - machart on Sep 10 2008 01:22:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  08:01:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure about introducing people to both spinal breathing and meditation on the same day. In AYP, we pick spinal breathing after a few weeks of meditation.. sometimes months later. Maybe introduce them to alternate nostril breathing? Also, you had some major purification going on, along with your drug withdrawal symptoms am I right? It was hard for you to tell what was what? You seem to have been really ready to take on this path (some people are more spiritually ready than others), please keep in mind, not everyone is that way.. and 10 min SpB and 20 Min meditation may send them over the top.. esp. if they are coping with drug withdrawal symptoms.. just guessing here tho. Also, in a physical group, there is more energy.. and that may cause more purification too. I would personally recommend alternate nostril breathing along with 10 or 15 min meditation. Tell people if they feel emotions arising or feel uncomfortable, to stop the mediation and just sit quietly with their eyes closed while the others meditate.

You will get a better feel for things once you get the group started.
Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  09:43:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarsonZi:

I agree that starting both SBP and DM on the first day is too much. 10-15 minutes of deep meditation would be a good taste, and those who connect will come back. It is best to tackle one thing at a time and let it digest.

It is a wonderful thing you are doing. Wishing you all success!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input Everyone...exactly what I need.

The reason I had included 5 minutes of spinal breathing was because when I first started AYP I spent about 2-3 weeks doing just meditation, and that was good, but it wasn't until I added 5 minutes of SBP that I started to get results in my detoxifying efforts. I was not able to drop my dose, or even extend my dose with just DM. Something about SBP has a special effect on drug actions. I have thought a lot about it, and I still cannot figure out exactly what it is that SBP does that makes it lower a persons drug tolerance's but it does. I was thinking that since I most likely will only see most people once, that I would like to introduce them to a taste of a fuller practice that might actually benefit them in their detox should they continue to do it, with or without me. I understand also that 20 minutes of DM may be too much, but I was thinking of telling them something along the lines of what Shanti recommended, that if they start to feel uncomfortable just to sit there quietly and wait until the rest of us are done. If this is wrong please let me know. I'm not sure if my situation is different then most other groups in that I likely will only be seeing participants once, but I thought I would like to give them the most well rounded view of AYP practices possible incase it plants a seed, even if it doesn't bear fruit right away. (if you know what I mean) Again, please let me know if this is a wrongful attitude.
Thank you all for your attention, and continued support. May we spread the AYPractices to the ends of the earth!
In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:51:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarsonZi:

I see your point, but the potential for "too much too soon" will still be there. So it is a research project to achieve the most productive impact in one session, without overdoing it.

Maybe 2-3 minutes SBP and 10 minutes DM. As you go through multiple sessions with different people, I am sure a clear path will emerge. Don't expect to hit it just right on the first attempt. Success will come with persistence and making the necessary adjustments over time. When some are coming back, you will know you are connecting.

It is new and exciting territory. Go for it!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  11:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the input Yogani. Your suggestion sounds perfectly reasonable. And I can explain that the process is MEANT to be 10 minutes of SBP and 20 minutes of DM but that a practitioner should work his/her way up to that. I can DO that! Hurray!!! I am sooooooo excited to start this group and fullfill this burning desire I have to share AYP with others who are suffering from drug addictions. I have an appointment on Tuesday Sept 16th at 10:30am my time (2 hours below the posting time here on the forum) to meet with the doctors and administration of the AADAC group here and will hopefully have a firm start date and all the specifics of my location. (chairs, circulating flyers etc) Will keep you all posted. Thank you all so much again for the continued advice and support.
In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  5:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarsonZi

I was wondering if any of these people have experience in NA or AA and if so would they have a working knowledge of the 12 step programme?

We have had a few AA members in our group and find there is a deep spiritual connection for most. As you will know, part of the 12 steps is the inclusion of some sort of spiritual discipline to touch God/Inner Silence and this is regarded as essential for recovery.

Regarding the SP I like the compromise you have reached with Yogani's suggestion of 2-3 minutes of SP. My reason for saying this is because I have a feeling that the deep breathing aspect of SP - apart from the tracing of the sushumna - should having a calming effect on a very active mind, which I presume would be the case for most.
With this initial calming, the entry into DM might be easier.

Are you planning on doing any stretching or simple yoga postures before the meditation? We often do a few simple Chi Kung exercises to get the breathing deep and limber up a little.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  9:46:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,

There is no guarantee on anything in this situation. I'm sure there will be some people there with NA/AA experience but these will be people that will have recently slipped for sure. These people are all in forced rehab. Forced by the courts. So if they do have a working knowledge of the 12 steps they (the 12 steps) aren't working for them.
I may be including a few quick Bikrams asanas before we start, but most likely it will be real short and consist of maybe 3 quick stretches. Nothing major for sure. Any specific asanas that you would recommend?
In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  9:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson, Good luck brother, shine your light and let it grow brighter
With love
Neil
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  03:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hi Louis,

There is no guarantee on anything in this situation. I'm sure there will be some people there with NA/AA experience but these will be people that will have recently slipped for sure. These people are all in forced rehab. Forced by the courts. So if they do have a working knowledge of the 12 steps they (the 12 steps) aren't working for them.
I may be including a few quick Bikrams asanas before we start, but most likely it will be real short and consist of maybe 3 quick stretches. Nothing major for sure. Any specific asanas that you would recommend?
In Love,
CarsonZi

Hi Carson
Sorry I missed your post.
Sounds like you are taking on a difficult task. It probably means, like you say further above, that you will see most people once only for look and a try.
With this in mind it would seem the best approach might be to assume that people are only coming once and tailor the practice around this.

So the challenge, as I see it, is to bring a person who is very busy in the head to a place where they can touch some inner peace or silence, even for a brief few seconds.
If this brief few seconds is captured and acknowledged by the person you can emphasise that this is a brief glimpse and that the practice is about developing this to a much more permanent and deeper degree.

And this is the sort of experience they are really looking for in drugs etc, but they are developing it from within themselves through these practices.

It has been my experience that people with very active minds usually have short quick shallow breaths. One of the quickest ways of slowing the mind of a person like this is to get them to change their breathing to slow and deep. Even a few breaths like this before the meditation can make a huge difference.

The Chi Kung with the associated breathing is good for this.
You mentioned yoga asanas, I can't advise you specifically on these but Yogani has a simple programme in his book Asanas Mudras and Bandhas.
Again, an emphasis I would have here is in the slow deep breathing with the asanas.

Other people might chime in on how to bring an active mind down quickly.
Hope that helps

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  1:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louis,

I think you basically understand now what I am taking on/up against. Yes, my idea is to tailor a specific routine for this particular application. What has been generally accepted now is a few stretches to loosen up the muscles, 3 minutes of spinal breathing, 10 minutes of deep meditation, and a 10 minute rest. I will include as an introduction a bit of my story, which will hopefully help them to understand that I DO know what they are going through right then and there, and that I can help to show them a way to freedom. We will talk a little about inner silence and how to achieve it, and then will conclude with questions and a snack/juice. I likely will only see these people once, at the most twice, but I am also setting up a personal meditation group out of my house, so if anyone really catches on and wants to continue but not in the rehab centre setting, then they will be welcome to attend my personal meditation group. I really don't know how much success I will have, and I am having to jump through some stupid legal and administrative hoops to even get started, but I will not falter in this mission to spread the AYP word. Oh, I also have "baited" a fella by the name of David Orme Johnson who is one of the main researchers for the TM movement and he is hopefully going to help me design a proper study and set up a study group (hopefully with government funding) and help me quantify any results when he is back inthe country later this year. Who knows where that will go, if anywhere, but it was worth a shot I thought. Thanks for the input.

In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  5:07:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A quick update:

I have a meeting set up with the head of programs and administration at the AADACommission on October 20th. It will be this meeting that will fully decide whether or not I will be allowed to open this group at the Rehab centre. The "commission" is supposed to have ZERO sectarian influence and as of now the commitee see's AYP as a sectarian approach to drug withdrawls. It will be up to me on the 20th to convince a commitee board that AYP is non-sectarian, and should be considered a companion to the 12 steps program which is the ONLY program at this time that is allowed access to the Rehab Centre. It is also a problem that I am not on their staff yet, as I am considered a contractor and need special permissions to even enter the building. This could be hard to get seeing as they know I am a former drug addict myself. It will take a lot of convincing and a lot of divine influence I think if I am going to get this group off of the ground, but I have not given up hope yet. I will let you know how it goes once I know. Thanks again for all the support.

In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2008 :  9:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can always take the i am out of it and tone down some things and call it stretching, breathing, and letting go. You can make it a physical fitness exercise aimed at working to a deeper level. During the group you can discuss and pick a key word, love, peace, joy, etc... If the board will not approve ask them what they would approve of. A yogi is flexible;) in life sometimes we have three choices, swing upstream, get out of the river, or go with the flow, you are asking to enter their river, you play by their rules. Over time you may be able to express about sound currents, vibrations, etc.. and it may evolve into being aloud to use the mantra. If you go in there preaching AYP,AYP,AYP, This may ruffle some feathers of the practicioners and administration. It may make it seem like just another religion
50% is better then 0%
we are love, we are flexible, we are joy
we are what we seek
i am brother neil
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  11:30:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish it was that simple Tube buddy....
Unfortunately the board see's ANYTHING other then the 12 steps as sectarian and unproven. Even if I told them that I just wanted to come inside the building to teach a few stretches I would not be allowed. As of now, the only "contractors" (paid or unpaid) are people teaching/running the 12 steps programs. This issue is partially because of the fact that this rehab centre is government run. But the reason I picked this centre is because it is governement run and could potentially be a government recognized study group in the future should things go as I plan, AND because this is a rehab centre I have checked myself into many times when deciding I wanted off of opiates in the past. (didn't work for me, broke out of the building through a window theone time I wasn't allowed to leave of my own will. not good.) But my approach is going to be pretty much explaining to the board what AYP has done for me, (there is plenty of evidence to consider since they have records on me at this rehab centre, and I will bring my doctors file as well so they can see that I truely am off the program.) explain that AYP IS non-sectarian, and that there is no reason not to at least give me a two week or month long trial run and see how it goes. A lot of the result is going to be how well-spoken and conscise I am, how well I present the material I need to, and how well I can manipulate the board members emotions to see that this is a worthwhile cause. I think that the fact that I am a recovered drug addict, and that I am not looking to be paid but just looking to help in a way I know will help, will go a long way in the eyes of the board. I do not know if I will succeed yet, but I am praying that God will fill me with divine inspiration at the time of the meeting and that I will be a beacon of shining light for Him. And I hope that the board will see that.
And about just offering a routine of physical excercise, this will not help drug withdrawls, especially not the kind that I will be seeing in the rehab centre. And my whole reason for trying to start this is because of the profound effects of pranayama and meditation on drug withdrawls. I should be REALLy sick right now, as I am 3 days into my last dosage drop, from 2.5 to 1mg daily, my biggest percentage drop yet, and I am doing better than fine. I literally STILL have no withdrawls. The only symptom that COULD even be attributed to withdrawl from methadone that i have is difficulty sleeping for more then 6 hours at a time. This could also be a symptom of my spiritual awakening as I am not tired at all, which I would normally be. i will be flexible believe me, but to be too flexible will mean that I have lost the true reason why I am attempting this at all. 50% would be nice, but my options here are 100% or 0%. There is no 50% in this situation. Thanks for the input!

in Love,
CarsonZi

Edited by - CarsonZi on Oct 11 2008 11:34:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  3:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with it brother carson I wish you the best in your endevor on this. if it does not work out there you can always start a group among people you know. start at a park or something. sounds as if life is going good for you.
my blessing to you
i am brother neil
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  9:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Neil. I have another group starting on October 21st at my house, and I just recently had a job offer at a friend's yoga studio in Sydney BC teaching AYP. Not totally sure if I feel qualified yet, but one way or the other the words getting out.
In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great work you are doing CarsonZi!

This might interest you:

A statistical meta-analysis of 198 independent treatment outcomes found that meditation produced a significantly larger reduction in tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drug use than either standard substance abuse treatments (including counseling, pharmacological treatments, relaxation training, and Twelve-Step programs) or prevention programs (such as programs to counteract peer-pressure and promote personal development). This meta-analysis controlled for strength of study design and included both heavy and casual users. Whereas, the effects of conventional programs typically decrease sharply by three months, effects of meditation on total abstinence from tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drug ranged from 50% to 89% over a 18 to 22 month period of study. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 11: 13-87, and International Journal of the Addictions, 26: 293-325, 1991.

There is also some preliminary research showing that Sudharsan Kriya has a dramaticly positive effect for people with depression. As I understand it Sudarshan Kriya is more or less Bastrika with falpping arms and just has the same effect only slightly stronger.THe Art of living foundation teaches it as the main practice in their beginning courses and to former addicts in their drug rehabilitation program so apparently it is OK to start of with this. I read that often people have some problems with headaches etc. the first few days of practice but that this passes quickly. The great benefit for addicts it seems to me is that Sudarshan/Bastrika quickly produces loads of good chemicals that gives a sort of high and semi trancendent feeling. This I think is very important for addicts because their psyche is strenthened a lot by whatever these excercises produce in the brain and body and they get the taste for a different kind of high. If one just starts them of with simple meditation that might at first bring them very much into their own pain before they have enough strength. So I think adding a pranyama like this early on will be very beneficial, especialy for those that wouldn`t get through only meditation. So I would supose Bastrika and Deep Meditation could be a good way to go. I haven`t done spinal breathing but since it is so powerfull maybe it is better to start with it rather than Bastrika or maybe that is a reason to wait a bit with it. Anyway you could perhaps consider putting alterante nostril breathing in there pretty quick as it is very balancing and helps a lot with meditation. The inner smile or lvong kindness can be added after a while to work more directly on self esteem and especialy the six healing sounds could be a great way to combine cleansing of the organs with emotional managment in an easy and mostly painless way.

Just my toughts:)

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  4:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the ideas and encouragement Markern,

I really want to stick with AYP for now as it is written down and is a program that can be followed to the letter. This leaves less room for unwarrented symptoms to occur. For myself it was the pranayama SB (AYP style) that really created the most drastic effects on drug withdrawls. Once I added SBP I could almost instantly start reducing my dosage. It was previously decided to start with 3minutes of SBP and 10minutes of meditation because I wanted to give people a more rounded idea of the practices since I will only be seeing them once and because the effects noticed were not from meditation as directly as from the SBP. Just my thoughts.

I am extremely sad to announce though that an hour ago I recieved a phone call from the head Program Director at the "Addictions Commission" and she cancelled my appointment to meet with the board next week indefinitely. She was extremely rude and actually hung up on me while I was in mid sentence, yet I never got angry or ill-tempered. (my instinctual reaction) Her reasoning was not apparent but she was mad at me before I even answered her call for whatever reason. Maybe she felt angry that I had gotten as far as to get an appointment with the board while she was away on vacation, but whatever the reason, my chance with this Centre is gone I think. I have spent my afternoon writing emails to dozens of different people at different levels within the company about this, trying to show reasons why AYP should at least be given a trial run at a detox centre, and I will now include the section that you posted above in my next emails. Thank you for that. But I don't anticipate much of a positive response. The lady who called me is pretty high up and she was pretty mad at me, so....My next step is to start writing to the government for funding to create a study group here in Calgary based on my experiences and info like what you posted above. I found some links today when searching for people to email, will see how far I get there.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2008 :  5:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry to here about your group being cancelled. I wish you the best of luck in getting it up and going somehow. I do think you will manage that in other ways.

Interesting to hear that spinal breathing had such an effect. Then you should definitively go with that. I tought Bastrika was within the AYP system somewhere, if so it could possibly be added when it seems right. Or maybe it is better to increas SB since it seems so effective.

I am quite sure there is more relevant research out there that can help back your claims. I also would think there are organisations with some experience with using meditation or similar tools with regards to addiction. Art of Living for one seem to be quite experienced. Their program has been in the news several times with very positive feedback from participants.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000