Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 eating meat?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rebeq11

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  1:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit rebeq11's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone! After pondering some books about diet and yoga (they entertain when one leads a purely spiritual life one does not require meat) and being a meat-eater myself (listening to my body I need to eat it for energy), I am wondering how the community feels.

I have met people in the past who are vegetarian and meditate alot. When I observe them, sometimes they appear "airy" with glossy eyes and ungrounded (living in upper chakras, I guess).

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks,
Beck

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  2:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rebeq11,

You'll find practitioners here on both sides of the issue. I believe the wisest suggestion is to practice deep meditation, etc.... for a while and the see where you stand. The inner silence that is brought up makes the best decisions possible. Until then, the mind will push or pull you one way or the other and offer as many, if not more than, justifications and rationalizations as necessary to support its decision.

Oh, by the way, this doesn't mean it will definitely make you a vegetarian. There are plenty of "advanced" practitioners here who eat meat and some who feel unequivocally that adding meat to their diets has helped them.

take care,

eitherway

Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  2:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  2:33:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Beck and Welcome!

I used to be one of those vegetarian meditators you talk about, I was veggie for almost 15 years. But within a month or two or taking up the AYPractices seriously I HAD to start eating meat again. I could not NOT eat meat. Eating meat and walking lots has really helped me personally stay grounded and keeps me from having pretty serious energy headaches all the time. I know that eventually once my system is sufficiently purified I will be able to go back to being a vegetarian, but for the meantime I will be an omnivour as it makes me feel MUCH better in many ways.(physically mostly)

Hope this helps a little.

In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  2:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Beck!

I believe everyone is different and must listen to their own body.

I DON'T believe that you have to be a vegetarian to be "spiritual".

...as our buddy JC said

"There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man." Mark 7:15

....just one omnivores point of view....

Edited by - machart on Sep 29 2008 11:20:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  8:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
nice quote machart
maybe the vegitarians need more potatoes or grounding veggies, just because people are vegitarian does not mean they eat perfect. Do they have ground, water and air veggies, get as many colors a day as possible, each chakra has a color and supposedly the color of food coordinates with the chakra enough greens, etc...... white coconut milk, cow milk, goat milk, etc... supposedly contain foof for all chakras. just added thoughts, in my opinion it is not wise when base our paths on others, sometimes we become to attached and live on their every word. Follow your path, folllow your heart, and trust that you can do it, even if no one else can, you can
i am love, i am peace, i am joy
i am your brother
neil

Edited by - brother neil on Sep 29 2008 8:38:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

rebeq11

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  6:49:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit rebeq11's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the comments, and I will follow my own intuition. After all, that is the yoga in which we practice: union within ourselves.

It also seems where one is on life's path. The more grounded we are in raising a family or working or gathering financial stability, the more meat may be required to continue with zest.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  9:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with you totally, one must listen to our own body. I was a veggie time ago, (one year) but didn't like it, my body yells for meat, and when I don't eat it, I am very sensitive to anything. Although sometimes I feel that the red meat makes people more aggressive, or hyperactive, I have found this lately in myself, I have felt too much hyperactivity, so I have to lessen the red meat and eat more fish or chicken, (that I don't like).

Its hard to know which to listen if to our body or to our rational mind. Both are right. Time will decide.

the point of view of a meat lover and former veggie.

Neli

quote:
Originally posted by machart

Hi Beck!

I believe everyone is different and must listen to their own body.

I DON'T believe that you have to be a vegetarian to be "spiritual".

...as our buddy JC said

"There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man." Mark 7:15

....just one omnivores point of view....

Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  12:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am a veggie but I still eat milk and eggs and sometimes fish. I do it for environmental reasons first, humanitarian second, and spiritual third. I was "airy" for a while until I got into weight-training and upped my calorie intake. I eat a pretty beefy diet for a vegetarian so my point is that veg doesnt equal being "airy". it is easier to not get enough calories on a veg diet but one should always eat conciously anyway.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  12:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I live in a meat eating family so it is hard not to eat meat. I've stopped eating chicken wings though because i couldn't hack eating the flesh.

The thing is, there seems to be a lot of food programmes on TV these days (or is that just me?) and some of the things they make look amazing, most of it with meat or fish.

Perhaps you could eat meat once every 2 days or something like that.

I kind of think that eating meat is ok actually. Buddhists eat it, humans have those meat-eating teeth (forget the name of them at the moment) and we are obviously on earth for good reasons, being part of the food chain etc (scary eh? hehehehehe).
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  03:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Gumpi

I agree with you, if we have canine tooth is because we were made to eat meat, I mean we need the calories somehow. I really don't know why my body beggs so much for meat, even if my rational mind tells me not to eat it so often, but I listen to my body, maybe its a grounding process of the K energy, cause my meditation lasts more than an hour. I can eat fish or chicken, but its like if I haven't ate anything, I mean only the meat makes me feel "strong" again. The K energy makes me lose energy, I suppose. And the meat has something that makes me regain the losen energy.

Neli

quote:
Originally posted by gumpi

I live in a meat eating family so it is hard not to eat meat. I've stopped eating chicken wings though because i couldn't hack eating the flesh.

The thing is, there seems to be a lot of food programmes on TV these days (or is that just me?) and some of the things they make look amazing, most of it with meat or fish.

Perhaps you could eat meat once every 2 days or something like that.

I kind of think that eating meat is ok actually. Buddhists eat it, humans have those meat-eating teeth (forget the name of them at the moment) and we are obviously on earth for good reasons, being part of the food chain etc (scary eh? hehehehehe).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000