Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Diet and Cost for 9 Families Around the World
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  5:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All:

Here is an informative and thought-provoking email attachment I received recently on the weekly diet and food cost for nine families from around the world (photos included):

http://www.time.com/time/photogalle...6519,00.html
Article link updated 10/5/23

Original content and photos are here.

They are listed from the most to the least spent on food, if not from the healthiest to the least healthy diet.

Let us ponder these things...

The guru is in you.

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  11:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  08:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting, Yogani.

I noticed the lower the price got, the bigger the families got as well (generally speaking).

I am glad to see how much fruit and vegetables people eat
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  09:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Would have been interesting to see how many hours they had to work in order to afford that food. The amount of money spent is only relevant in relation to salary...
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  1:14:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Yogani for sharing this. The photographs make this comparison so much more clear... and most of the families are smiling, no matter what or how much was on their tables. Cosmic's and EMC's points are well taken. I was actually hoping to see a bit more fruit and veg and a bit less soda and empty calories in those that could afford it.

One of my samyama prayers is 'abundance and sharing'....perhaps one day we will have a more equitable distribution of food and supplies.

My family is blessed to live near a farmer's market that gathers on Saturdays--so much fresh and bountiful vegetables and fruit near... it helps the farmers and it helps all of us who share their harvest. Farmer's markets also help reduce the unseen costs of all that food transport.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy

USA
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  4:59:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nancy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to me as if the western countries eat much more unhealthy with the highest cost; then it goes over to the more developed eastern cultures following suite. It appears as if the more a society grows themore unhealthy life style choices people make.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  11:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani,

you said "They are listed from the most to the least spent on food, if not from the healthiest to the least healthy diet."

Did you actually mean "if not from the LEAST healthy to the healthiest?" I can't imagine that the top 3 or 4 families have the healthiest diet. I would have gone almost the completely other way. Look at all the bottles of wine and beer, the bottles of pop, the pizzas, etc of the wealthier families, compared to all the fruit and veggies etc of the poorer families.
Nancy,
I don't think that it is necessarily that the more a society grows the more unhealthy life style choices are made, I think it is more about the fact that the population of the world is so huge, that if we all went back to being hunter-gatherers similiar to the poorer families on the list, there would be a massive population decrease due to starvation/lack of resources and lack of knowledge on how to survive without a supermarket. We in the "civilized" world (and I use that term VERY loosely) depend on food CREATED by us in order to keep the majority of the "civilized" population from starving because there simply would never be enough food on the planet to feed over 6 billion people if we all started to eat naturally and from the earth. If there wasn't a constant supply of synthetic foods in North America, Europe and many other "First World" countries a large portion of our populations would starve to death. So if we ALL want to stay alive, unfortunately we have to change the way we live or continue to live off of Captain Crunch and antibiotic/hormone riddelled milk for the rest of our lives.

In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2008 :  12:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarsonZi:

"...if not from the healthiest to the least healthy diet" means the families with more will not necessarily be more healthy than those with less, a fact that is becoming well-known in the modern world. So we are saying the same thing.

It's an amazing montage of humankind, isn't it? We are so different, yet so much the same. I am sure the need for spiritual practices is also present in every one of those cultures. We all share in that, not living by bread alone.

With increasing inner silence around the globe, those with too much will tend toward less, and those with not enough will tend toward more. The rise of stillness in action on all sides brings balance, which is the essence of health, happiness and enlightenment.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  1:21:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"With increasing inner silence around the globe, those with too much will tend toward less, and those with not enough will tend toward more. The rise of stillness in action on all sides brings balance, which is the essence of health, happiness and enlightenment."

Yes, I'm finally beginning to see this as true. Thank you

In Love,
CarsonZi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000