Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 AYP Retreat in Ireland 29th July 2008
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  12:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
We have had an AYP group meeting every week in Dublin for the past year and a half and now it seems natural for us to have a retreat.

We are very privileged to have Katrine coming over from Norway for the retreat and to spend a few days. So it looks like it will be fun.

It will be a small retreat, probably around ten people.
The venue is a small retreat centre in a place called Glendalough in Co Wicklow. This is a very spiritual place and should give a nice setting for the event.

The retreat will start on Tuesday 29th July and finish on Friday afternoon 1st August.

If anyone, who has been practicing AYP for a while, is interested in attending, their are a couple of places left.

Blessings and peace
Louis

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  2:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm coming too! Count me in! I've met the Dublin AYP group, and it's a beautiful composition of kindness and humour! It'll be lovely to see you all again! And it'll be fun to meet you as well, Katrine!
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  2:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sparkle and emc

I am very grateful that I am able to come

It will be great to meet

And the sound of Glendalough.....I feel a smile stir inside
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  3:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I'm coming too! Count me in! I've met the Dublin AYP group, and it's a beautiful composition of kindness and humour! It'll be lovely to see you all again! And it'll be fun to meet you as well, Katrine!
Yipppeee!!! that's great emc

Between Katrine and emc, Ireland won't know what's hit it
look out Glendalough, here we come

I will post a proposed schedule soon and hopefully people will make constructive comment.

Edited by - Sparkle on Apr 21 2008 3:27:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  4:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is it ok if I bring the flute?
Go to Top of Page

Lookatmynavelnow

52 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  6:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

If anyone, who has been practicing AYP for a while, is interested in attending, their are a couple of places left.

What an excellent idea, I wish I could attend in my physical body. Hey, if you hear something flying around do not assume it’s not me in my spiritual body paying a visit!
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2008 :  03:21:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Katrine

Is it ok if I bring the flute?

Oh lovely Katrine, the sound of Krishna's flute will be perfect

quote:
What an excellent idea, I wish I could attend in my physical body. Hey, if you hear something flying around do not assume it’s not me in my spiritual body paying a visit!
Hopefully you won't be the only one
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  08:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well it's almost time for the retreat/gathering in Glendalough.

We are hoping that other AYP'ers will join in with the meditations from afar.
If you put your name in below we will include you at each meditation.

Not sure about the 5.00 wake up, may make this a little later

Any comments would be welcome

AYP Retreat at Glendalough 29th July to 1st August 2008

The retreat will have about six people who are familiar with the practices. Not all of them practice every day, in fact some only practice during our weekly sit.
For this reason I am not sure about incorporating three meditation sessions per day, although I would like to. We might leave an optional space for people if they wish to incorporate it.

We plan to incorporate meditation into all our activities, such as, cooking, walking, jogging, cleaning or work meditation etc.
In my experience this practice generates a lovely peace within the group, where everything is done slowly and in the moment.
Each activity will be started and finished with use of a meditation bell. The bell will also be used on occasions when there is too much heady conversation. When the bell is sounded it is a sign for people to stop, breath and come back to themselves.
It is suggested that an atmosphere of lightness and relaxation be fostered.

Silence will be observed from after dinner in the evening until after breakfast the following morning.

Meals: Suggesting stew type vegetarian dinners that can be pre-prepared and heated at the appropriate time. It is suggested that we split into groups and each group will be responsible for cooking and preparing the meals for that day.
One person wants to go on a grape fast for the duration of the retreat, she has done this before for three days – any thoughts?

Logging onto the AYP forum: Not sure yet if we will have this possibility.

Jobs, such as washing up and cleaning will be allocated on a rota basis.

1st Day:
The retreat will start in the afternoon of Tuesday 29th July.
15.00 Meditation and rest
16.00 Walking meditation in the countryside.
17.30 Dinner
19.00 Orientation ( Instruction on how the various procedures, such as, work rotas, cooking, use of the meditation bell, general conduct such as silence at certain times etc.)
20.00 Short meditation and rest.
Silence until morning.

2nd and 3rd Days
6.00 Wake up bell
6.30 Stretching/Yoga asanas
6.45 Meditation routine, 10 mins of Spinal Breathing, 20 mins of Deep Meditation and Samyama and rest.
7.45 – 8.30 Walking or jogging meditation in the countryside
8.45 Breakfast
10.15 – 12.00 Study time – this may include a talk or discussion and might follow a theme, yet to be decided.
12.15 – 12.45 Journal entry
13.00 Lunch
14.30 Study time. This may include some time in the countryside, discussion, a local walk in the monastic ruins, directed by Michael Roger, an authority on Celtic Spirituality or massage (several therapists in the group).
(if exercise has not been included we can do a walking or jogging meditation)
18.00 Meditation
19.30 Dinner
Silence until morning.
20.30 Journal entry

4th Day
6.00 Wake up bell
6.30 Stretching/Yoga asanas
6.45 Meditation routine, 10 mins of Spinal Breathing, 20 mins of Deep Meditation and Samyama and rest.
7.45 – 8.30 Walking or jogging meditation in the countryside
8.45 Breakfast
10.15 – 12.00 Study time – this may include a talk or discussion and might follow a theme, yet to be decided.
12.15 – 12.45 Journal entry
13.00 Lunch
14.30 Social time i.e. singing, playing musical instruments etc. and closing ceremony.

Edited by - Sparkle on Jul 28 2008 04:21:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  2:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What is journal entry?

And can we erase that 5.00?
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  5:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc
The following is taken from Trip1'S retreat information as follows:
Journal
It is recommended that you keep a retreat journal in order to document your thoughts and experiences, as well as a daily recap at the end of each day. You may be surprised by the wonderful ideas and realizations which often arise while experiencing higher states of consciousness during a retreat, and documenting these experiences allows the practitioner to revisit these moments at a later time. Many of history’s greatest ideas arose during these moments of expanded awareness, and many more were forgotten soon after.

Of course, keeping a retreat journal is not mandatory, and if you decide against it, simply fill in the allotted time with an activity listed under the “Study” section of this document.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1416#1416

Others in the group might also be in favour of a later start.

My feeling is that we will not do the second meditation in the morning and this would mean we could wake people at 6am instead of 5.
How is that?
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  5:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely fantastic!

Oki. This forum usually works as my journal entry then! And during the retreat we won't have access to internet, so I'd better keep it up so that I can report here later...

See ya!
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  12:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
How I wish my daughter and I could be there. Please share your experiences with us!

light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  01:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All

quote:
My feeling is that we will not do the second meditation in the morning and this would mean we could wake people at 6am instead of 5.
How is that?

This is good, Louis.
No second meditation in the morning for me anyway.....there is enough "hum" coming off as it is

Kathy - we share the same space . That will bring you deeper into it. Will you meditate with us ?
Will report back after retreat. I'm off to Estonia (singing at a Nordic/Baltic cultural festival in Tartu) the week after I get back, so it might take a few days.

Emc and Louis - see you tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  04:34:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok I've altered the times in the schedule above.

The meditation times are 6.45 am and 6 pm Dublin/UK time.

The following is a time zone converter for anyone who wants to join in from afar.
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...nverter.html

Kathy, we will verbally include you and your daughter during the meditation practice, thanks for your support

If anyone else wishes to have their name read out to be part of the retreat please let us know, your support would be appreciated.

Emc and Katrine - see you soon
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  06:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
Just to say the retreat was a major success.
Personally I am still reeling after it and will not say much.

What I can say is that if I did that amount of practice and experienced that much silence on my own I would be blown out of it. The group energy, opportunities to express ourselves honestly and lots of beautiful walks in the country seemed to balance us all out.

Love to all
Louis
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  11:04:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

Hi
Just to say the retreat was a major success.
Personally I am still reeling after it and will not say much.

What I can say is that if I did that amount of practice and experienced that much silence on my own I would be blown out of it. The group energy, opportunities to express ourselves honestly and lots of beautiful walks in the country seemed to balance us all out.

Love to all
Louis

Hi Louis:

Bravo! Have been very interested to hear when someone came up for air.

I hope more of these will be occurring around the world. From your few words, it sounds like you have the essence of it. Well run balanced retreats are not only good for the participants -- they are good for everyone everywhere. The more who attend a retreat, the more penetrating the effects. It is the awesome power of human spiritual transformation in your hands.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  12:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The retreat was absolutely beautiful
The inner fullfilment coming from being able to share and commune - both silently and verbally - with fellow meditators and lovers of truth.......is truly priceless.

The ripples of this retreat will touch many. I am so grateful that I was able to join it. Everybody there reflected insights I needed to hear and spilled love it was a blessing to receive - and the silence was profund for all. I have learned so much - from everyone there, from the earth, the rain, the mountains, the holly, the boardwalks, the goats, the rainbows, the monastic city, the hill and the share joy of being free to express.

Though this was a silence retreat, it never overdosed into seriousness. Which is a great blessing. I haven't laughed this much in years, and I simply loved the spirit of Ireland.

Louis - the depth of what you have provided by facilitating this retreat will keep easily revealing itself and continue a life of its own. You provided physical space in a sacred location, proper light noursihment......and though cloudy outside the sun of meditation shines bright. The inner seeds grow......enriched with spirit they tend to selfsustain and flourish way beyond what we could ever imagine. Bless you for Baktha-Karma-AYPYogying-Mindfulnessing yourself into the point of Now . Some 2 cents you've got going over there/here

I am leaving for Estonia tomorrow and will chime in with more when coming back.

Yogani - none of this would have happened were it not for you. Bless you for everything.

Flying in peace (*chukling*)
Katrine

Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  03:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Louis - the depth of what you have provided by facilitating this retreat will keep easily revealing itself and continue a life of its own. You provided physical space in a sacred location, proper light noursihment......and though cloudy outside the sun of meditation shines bright. The inner seeds grow......enriched with spirit they tend to selfsustain and flourish way beyond what we could ever imagine. Bless you for Baktha-Karma-AYPYogying-Mindfulnessing yourself into the point of Now . Some 2 cents you've got going over there/here

Thanks Katrine. yes my 2 cents was to provide the venue and the schedule yours was to facilitate the group with your profound silence and deeply penetrating insights which were always portrayed with gentleness, even if the gentleness contained a Samurai sword of truth
Bless you for being so wise and gentle and silent.

emc was brilliant also and provided me with an opportunity to work through a major block of mine, for which I am very grateful.

And thanks Yogani for making all this possible

I would encourage anyone to get together with other forumites like we did and experience whatever comes.

Will post more of the detail later.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  1:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can just agree with the posts above. The group energy was fantastic. The days were filled with possibilities to explore Truth and Love in a lovely setting.

I am so grateful for all who enabled this retreat, and all who participated. The sharing taught me many things, and I bring with me invaluable insights for the rest of my journey!

Louis, I'm honored if my presence served you in any way! Thank you for calling me over to Ireland. As I said above: Ireland AYP-group is a beautiful composition of kindness and humour!
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  06:11:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We were sitting at the table after dinner, all six of us and it suddenly hit me that this could go on and on. We could live like this in community. There would be a very deep silence, there would be issues coming up, triggered by each other, there would be honest dialogue and resolution.

This enforced the idea I have had for some time of starting a small community. I can't think of a more beautiful way to live.
Whilst ordinary family life could be like this, often it is not, often the will or interest is not there by all concerned.

It is my intention to start a community like this and release this notion to the Presence, the Silence, God, the Shine
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2008 :  11:01:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Meditations:

Our meditations periods were two per day except for the second day when we did a third in the afternoon.
Preceding meditation we did stretching or chi kung or yoga. Each person had a go at leading their particular routine and the group followed.

We started pranayama with the sound of a Buddhist meditation bell. The bell ringing was shared between people.
At ten minutes the bell was sounded once gently to let people know it was time to change to Deep Meditation. After another twenty minutes it was sounded again.
Then samyama and some rest, when it felt right we did some walking meditation around the room, usually three rounds. (This is slow, usually one breath per step, walking - similar to kin hin in the zen tradition)
We then sat down and rested in full body mudra or whatever

After an appropriate time people could share anything if they wished - usually not much was said at these times.
We then stood up, formed a circle and held hands. One person (again turns were taken) spoke through a visualisation, usually with light. These circles were very deep and we had a period when we said the names of people we wished to be included in the circle. Yogani, Kathy and her daughter and all the AYP group were always included.

The last part of the visualisation was grounding, this prooved particularly important.

(If Katrine or emc wish to add anything, please feel free)

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We treated each other with massages and different forms of healing. Everybody was so skilled All set in a sacred atmosphere and profound stillness.

I enjoyed being on the receiving end

I had not used my hands for 3 years. I feel like I have been in hibernation.......
Something just.....opened itself up.......and my hands now live a life of their own.
The retreat happened right after getting a job offer at work (which I reclined)......I will write more in another topic as soon as I find the time.

Giving myself to the flow and the love while working with whom ever was on the bench was just so beautiful. I have no words for it....other than the fact that it was instant payback. I found myself being on the receiving end whether lying on the bench or working above it on someone else.

More later......need to sleep now

Later....
I didn't sleep after all.....i had to get it off my chest:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=4274

And now the pillow

Edited by - Katrine on Aug 11 2008 6:00:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  1:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input Katrine, yes the exchange of therapies on the Thursday and Friday was a lovely way of both sharing and receiving from the others in the retreat. Very personal and nurturing.

After our meditations we generally had a meal, either breakfast or dinner. I will give a brief outline of the process.

Mealtimes

The meals were prepared by the two people designated to prepare the meals for that particular day.

When the food was served and we were ready to eat, one person read grace or made up their own.
The same person then sounded the meditation bell, positioned at the centre of the table, this was the indication to start and eat in silence for twenty minutes.
After twenty minutes the bell was sounded again, when we then engaged in some conversation.

The periods of silence within the first twenty minutes of eating were often very very profound. Sometimes the group simultaneouosly stopped eating and entered into a very deep communal silence. We often stayed sitting like this for five minutes before starting to eat again.
Everybody agreed these were some of the most profound moments of the retreat. It was like we entered into a group body mudra.

At other times during that silence we went into acute giggling phases. This started when Aiden joined us on the second day just in time for lunch. He has such a massive sparkling energy, and when he sat down into the silence that had built, just started giggling to himself - it soon led to all of us in knots of laughter, going from laughter to silence and back again. What a hoot

After the twenty minutes the conversations started. These often got quite deep and went on and on. Normally this conversation would be minimal and general quietness would resume, but there was a different energy at this retreat and it became apparent that these discussions were a necessary part of the process.

Walking in the Countryside

We looked out from the dining area after breakfast on our first morning to see sheets of rain flowing down the vally of Glendalough. Not very inviting for our first nice walk in the countryside

After the silence generated from the evening meditation, the following morning meditation and the meal mindfulness meditation, it was obvious that we needed to get outside and walk.
So despite some protests we donned umbrellas and set out to embrace the elements. We had a look at some of the ancient monastic ruins and took in nature and the beautiful energy of that valley.

It rained for all of our walks but they were very enjoyable and there is no doubt in my mind that they were absolutely essential to keep the balance and grounding in the group. An absolute must.

Some "power points" were discovered also. If Katrine and emc wish to comment on these, please do.
And if you want to add anthing to the above, please feel free.

Edited by - Sparkle on Aug 16 2008 1:44:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  3:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Some "power points" were discovered also. If Katrine and emc wish to comment on these, please do.

Yes.....
The hill straight across from our living quarters was truly magical. It seethed with heightened presence.....the vibration that rose from it was unlike anything I have ever seen. All the trees that populated it made it into one breathing community.....such friendliness.

And then the ruins......the seventh stone in the top middle of the arches...I remember Breda (our guide) talking about them, but can't remember what she said. But standing under those key stones was like standing in a shower of power. All the trees growing around the monastic city were vibrantly shining.......so green and fresh.

Then the hole.......
Near by one of the lakes.....was this circle of stones (a few meters in diameter). In the middle of it (actually not in the middle....but a little off to one side) was this flat stone with a little hole in it. There was a story about that too (Louis....I forgot......what was the story of the stone with the hole?)

Anyway.......several meters from the outer ring of this stone circle I felt an immense magnetic pull.....the closer I got to the circle, the stronger the pull, and I was energetically "dragged" right up to this stone. Standing beside it...one tiny look at the little hole (which was smaller than a fist)....and I fell and fell inside.......into this bottomless, dark void.......comepletely safe and utterly benevolent..... anihilating all sound. It was so incredibly soothing.....I had a hard time walking from there.....and for several days afterwards I felt as if many, many "threads" from my body/energetic makeup was anchored way down into the earth.....into the void sealed by that stone. It was unlike anyting I have ever experienced........it was incredibly grounding. And ever since then, there is an immense openness in the abdomen/navel aerea.....as if something opened safely never to be closed again.

Actually - one of the participants on the retreat had a somewhat similar soothing effect on me. Sitting beside him at dinnertime felt like sitting next to the most solid, strong, rocklike, heartwarming, earthbound ......don'tknowwhattocallitpresence that I have ever met . He was just so.....solid. He was part of the reason the group grounded so well (I did tell him something of the sort while at the table....but if you see him, Louis, be sure to remind him so that he never doubts himself and tell him hi from me).

One day....during the boardwalk......coming out of the forest high up and watching the magnificent view of the valley, I willingly expanded and felt the filling of the whole valley...and the earth....and the sky. I was so full of Joy and gratitude. It was a very light drizzle. And then the sun broke through the skies....and with it came a moving rainbow.....sweeping the valley......silently moving towards us....following the direction of the light.

What more can one ask for?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000