AYPsite.org Forum
 Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 Bihar School of Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cyberboy

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  11:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cyberboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All, (great forum, gratitude to all)

I was wondering if anyone here knows if the Bihar School of Yoga (Swami Sivananda Saraswati etc)teachers a complete and authentic system of yoga?

I will of course be studing the AYP system as well, which seems very refined and devoid of non-essentials, however I just discovered I have the opportunity to train with one of Swami Satyananda Saraswati direct students so was just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge of this system as well.

Thank you kindly in advance.

P.S Two little videos of the Kechari Mudra being demonstraded if no one has seen them yet.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=EJc_L...ture=related

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=jeJm7wUeqL0&NR=1

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  12:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Cyber. I don't know of that school. Interesting videos!

We're glad you have joined us here.

light and love,

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Cyberboy

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  05:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cyberboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kathy, thanks for the warm welcome.

I’m hoping that the AYP system and the BSY system will complement each other well, for the Bihar Yoga Institution http://www.yogavision.net/byb/welcome.htm does a massive amount of research on the science of Yoga. Being a western is the type of approach I find most appealing, hence why the AYP system seems perfect as well.

So, very excited to purchase Yogani books and begin traning. Btw, what a fantastic forum.

All the best on the Path.

L&L
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  07:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cyberboy,

and welcome to AYP land. I have a few of their books and it is a very traditional and very thourough system of yoga. I like their books on Hatha Yoga Pradipika and pranayama in particular.

I use them as reference books.

I was suprised to find a depiction of an energy circuit very similar to that of the taoist model in the pranayama book, as well.

Hope you get alot out of the forum and AYP. Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4370 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  10:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Cyberboy and welcome,

They seem to me to be a first class Yoga school. Astonishing knowledge about the path, and a very deep commitment. A very good compliment to AYP, and actually, the teachings are surprisingly similar.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Cyberboy

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  5:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cyberboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh o.k., that’s great YB (interesting about the Taoist correlation) and Christi, I just felt like this forum had trusted members that had a solid footing of the knowledge and experience of the Path and, so, being new to both systems just needed a quick little reference check that the BSY system was authentic. Thanks Christi, seems like both systems will compliment well then.

L&L

P.S An online book by Swami Sivananda on Kundalini Yoga if anyone is interested http://www.chidananda.org/download/kundalini.pdf There’s an explanation of the Kechari Mudra & the Maha Mudra in there under Mudras and Bandhas.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  10:50:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Juliet

43 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  9:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Juliet's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just chiming in to say that, yes, the Bihar School seems to publish some of the best texts out there; a chance to study with one of their teachers would likely be a very interesting opportunity. Good fortune!
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  09:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I watched the youtube clips, and there is a related one called "bizarro gene simmons" where the guy does kechari too! (Gene Simmons was the guy from rock group "kiss" who had a long tongue).
I wonder if you don't know what you are doing does kechari have any spiritual effect?
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  10:53:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have their big book "A systematic course in the ancient tantric techniques of yoga and kriya" and it is jam packed full of good stuff. I really learnt a lot about physiology from it. Also their book on kriya, which has a large section about kundalini research at the back.

One thing in particular that stuck out for me was the information concerning the carotid sinuses in the neck. BY constricting the throat, doing kechari, putting the head on the chest or backwards, these sinuses are pressed on and the body responds by lowering blood pressure.

I had an experience that confirmed this. In my meditation i put my tongue back to the soft palate and then released it after a while but retained the throat constriction unconsciously. Shortly thereafter my tongue started going back by itself! It seems that the relaxation of meditation and the throat lock made the metabolism go down even further and an automatic yoga happened.

Something i am concerned about however. The body, in normal functioning, has a homeostatic regulator so that it returns to normal. Now, with yoga the normal processes like heart beat become more relaxed and the homeostatic mechanism shifts with it. So, what would happen if your heart rate was REALLY low and you couldn't get it back up again? Surely this would be dangerous.
Go to Top of Page

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  1:44:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,

The really great thing about these yoga practices is that they seem to be integrative in terms of the organs/tissues involved. This means that a decrease in heart rate is going to be accompanied by a drop in metablolism and thus the body's need for oxygen will also be greatly reduced. A lower homeostatic set point will thus be matched across the different systems. I really don't see physiological dangers unless the practitioner went way past the norm and willed themselves into dangerous practice durations, etc....

The holistic effect of the practices is the reason I believe yoga should form the basis of preventitive medicine. I Imagine the need for pharmacological interventions (almost never fully understood and with myrial side effects) would be greatly reduced but I'm sure we are all part of the choir on this thinking.

Eitherway
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000