Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  4:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
why will I spend hours studying, an hour or more in postures, but the mind complains so much when it is time to meditate The mind seems drawn towards meditation but also wants to run from it. I know this is my way of finding peace because I have seen it in meditation but something resists so much
life is weird
seeker

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  5:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Its funny, Tubeseeker but I felt the same way at first. The key is steady daily consistant practice. Now after a few years I am having to limit my sits because they tend to go over an hour if i don't time them. Its just all about developing the habit. Keep the faith and PRACTICE
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  5:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The mind will very often resist something new especially if it seems to be an effort, one way to overcome this is to cut down your time if you are doing 20 minutes go down to 10 minutes your mind will soon start to find the practice of meditation pleasant, then it becomes addictive and you will want more.

Here is a link to a previous discussion on this very subject Strange Resistance to Meditation

Hope this helps.

Edited by - Richard on Mar 06 2008 5:47:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  4:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for the link.
I can tell you one thing, my mind would love for me to cut down the time, I think I would benefit from a little more time. I try to meditate now twice a day, I go into an altered state about 1/3 of the time. when I say altered I mean things like the mind has slowed down and no fidgeting is desired. it is like turning down the volume on my mental radio, less mental noise, I feel calmer, etc... I guess I just need to perservere no matter how much my mind does not want to sit still. I need to show love to myself and I think meditation seems to be the best way and there are sometimes when the alter state gets really cool, but I do not expect that anymore, if it happens it happens;)
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  7:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would set the time and just stick with it. If your mind is restless or calm, if you fidget or not, just get used to the routine. Thats seems like the best way to me as long as the timing is reasonable
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  8:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It's good. The best meditation happens grudgingly. You're more inclined to stay out of the way of the process. When you go to meditation eagerly and with bright expectations, that's when you tend to try to get all involved and "make things happen". Channel that boredom, and meditate like you brush teeth. Off-handed, sort of. Have it be absolutely nothing more than saying "I am" over and over (and gently returning the drifting mind). That's the GOOD stuff!

The challenge will soon become to maintain that casualness as meditation starts meaning more and more to you. It may stop being JUST about saying "I am" over and over for a while. You'll have to take pains to keep returning to that simplicity, sort of like scraping barnacles off a boat!

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Mar 07 2008 8:07:53 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000