Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Pulse in meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kvelan

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  05:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit kvelan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I have been following deep meditation with spinal breathings and some physical yoga asanas for several months now. I have been wondering about some of my experiences in deep meditation that Id like to share and perhaps someone could shed some light on this?

When repeating the mantra, I very often find my attention slowly slip away, and finally lock on my pulse. Then there is no mantra--I simply observe the pulse/hearbeat until i realise what I am doing. I have argued (to myself) that the pulse is a form of the mantra--it does have 2 syllables and it could just mean the mantra has synchronised with my pulse.

I do, upon realising that Im off the mantra, try to reinstate the mantra but very often I end up in the same situation. Sometimes when I am very focused into the pulse, I feel my whole body in resonance. I am beginning to feel this idea of pulse is simply an illusion...

However, I must say that recently things have been getting better with my yoga practices. In many occasions, I lose my awareness in meditation until the end--no thoughts, nothing. I am enjoying meditation much more, compared to spinal breathing that the latter feels like a mechanical operation to be completed before the meditation.

But of course--these are simply my current phase in yoga and may change.

Any comments or thoughts are welcome!

best wishes

Srinivas_Mallya

Singapore
22 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  08:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Srinivas_Mallya's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kvelan,
Even I too felt Spinal Breathing like a Mechanical Operation before the Mediation , this has Continued for several months . Initially Mediation will be more enjoyable than Spinal Breathing. Over the period of time , with much Deep Meditation Practice, You will enjoy Spinal Breathing also. Eventually,Both these Practices will Compliment each other.

With Best Wishes
Srinivas

Edited by - Srinivas_Mallya on Feb 22 2008 08:39:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  09:20:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kvelan,
Welcome to the forum.
When doing deep meditation, just follow the instructions given by Yogani. Any time you realize you are off the mantra (no matter what your mind is focused on and how good it feels) bring it back to the mantra. If that happens many many times during meditation... that is fine.. every time you realize you are off.. bring it back. If the focus on the pulse feels good.. try that for a few min after the mantra meditation. You may cut down on mantra meditation time to 15 min and give your mind the satisfaction of doing the pulse meditation for 5 min. However, when you are doing your mantra meditation and you find yourself doing the pulse meditation.. go back to the mantra. Don't try and argue with the mind.. minds love that .
Your inner guru knows best. If you feel at this point meditating on your pulse is better.. please do go ahead and try it. Every one is different and we can only help you with what we have experienced. And most of us here will agree that many things like visions, sounds etc. will try and take you away from your mantra.. but in AYP.. we go back to the mantra. That 20 min, twice a day.. we let the mantra do it's thing..

Edited by - Shanti on Feb 22 2008 09:21:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  09:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi kvelan

quote:
When repeating the mantra, I very often find my attention slowly slip away, and finally lock on my pulse. Then there is no mantra--I simply observe the pulse/hearbeat until i realise what I am doing. I

The mind will lock on to anything even external sounds like a ticking clock.

quote:
I do, upon realising that Im off the mantra, try to reinstate the mantra but very often I end up in the same situation. Sometimes when I am very focused into the pulse, I feel my whole body in resonance. I am beginning to feel this idea of pulse is simply an illusion...

Just come gently back to the mantra every time, don't force it just come gently back. The main thing is don't let this stress you at all.
When your mind Lock's onto a heartbeat or pulse and you focus on it your whole body will seem to pulse in time with it, very distracting I know but the mind does play tricks on you and if you try to hard to block this it will just get worse don't focus on the pulse just keep coming gently back to the mantra whenever it happens.
Being distracted by an internal sound such as the heartbeat is no different than suddenly realising you are off the mantra and thinking about something else the answer is always the same

Just come gently back to the mantra.

Edited by - Richard on Feb 22 2008 09:30:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

kvelan

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  05:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit kvelan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear all,

Thank you so much for your kind insights... The pulse does seem like a trick of the mind, and I am doing my best to get over it. I think i sort of picked up the habit as an effort to cut short the process of meditation--trying to find a handle with which to journey deep in during meditation. Perhaps its the wrong handle.

As many of you and Yogani himself have put it I try to gently come back to the mantra. As well, I try to sit in meditation without holding preconceived expectations. With time and perseverance this too shall pass.

I am happy to know there are many kind folks out there on the beautiful path of yoga.

best wishes,
kv
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  4:42:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was under the impression that a mantra is the sixth limb,Dharana, and that meditation was the seventh limb
my thoughts
when you do a mantra you are focused on the mantra and all other thoughts would hopefully vanish away. when a thought comes up you go back to the focus of the mantra

meditation is when there is not focus, when a thought comes up it passes because you do not become fixated to it, you may start the meditation by being focused on the breath or mantra but ideally that focus will vanish

imagine you are a tubleweed blowing in the wind. if you are doing a mantra you would focus on holding onto a tree so you dont get blown all over the place, if your aim is meditation you would let yourself get blown about by this wind, not worried about what direction it blows you and hopefully you would get blown into a hole. In this hole the wind/mind would no longer affect you

mantra = focus
mditation = absence of focus
jsut my thoughts
seeker

Edited by - brother neil on Mar 07 2008 4:55:20 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000